Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up SOTD Wednesday 11 April 2012

Good Morning Everyone

Gilles Romey's

ROCABAR

vintage edition

H È R M E S
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SOTD Wednesday 11 April 2012

Bom dia, Roberto, good morning all !.

Looks like we are going to be fortunate with the weather down here again today. I was up before everyone else and managed a run round the island before breakfast -

Happy Birthday RainDropSparkle

Warum - hope you are feeling better soon.

SotD is Heeley Iris de Nuit.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th April 2012 at 08:05 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic, Jon! I am sure you had a good bite last night. Do enjoy your time!
    SotM is still the Pois de Senteur from last nights wee spill... the whole upper floor is perfumed for quite some time I suppose.
    After a hot bath, I feel Vega will call my name.
    Nope, sorry folks, I won't be back at work until next Monday!
    I took my mom to the station, so she is travelling back all the way from east to the very west. She has a Shalimar purse spray, my bottle of Vol de Nuit extrait with a couple of drops left and her beloved My Sin as a gift (the second but last of my tester flacons, so I still have one more for her later ) with her. My mom never quite had any real exposure to the perfume greats. She fell quite heavily for Knize Ten... seriously, how cool is that?!! I'm getting her a big boy's bottle for her 70th birthday this summer. Terrible! Time is flying (70!!!!!) and the simple facts of life are often frightening. Time is so precious.... isn't it?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Time is indeed precious, Larimar. My dad is 88 and is taking ballroom dancing lessons.How cool is that???

I'm testing Carolina by Olympic Orchids tonight. It is really lovely! Published notes are:

longleaf pine, hay, tobacco, lavender, green grass, magnolia, kudzu flower, honeysuckle, star jasmine, and tonka.

Knit is off to nite-nite as I'm in that left coast time zone. It's raining tonight soI should sleep well
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Morning all. Hope everyone is well. Happy Birthday RainDropSparkle - have a lovely day! Time certainly is flying. I can't quite believe my boy is 16. He could get married - shudder - over my dead body!

Traversee du Bosphore today. Less turkish delight on me and more papery marshmallow, but I like it all the same.

Farnesiana EDP by Caron

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! My SOTD is Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Iris Bleu Gris (vintage).

Top Notes: green leaves, lemon, bergamot
    Middle Notes: iris absolute, vanilla, jasmine
    Base Notes: moss, vetiver, musk

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

In Guerlain L'Heure Bleue to help me sail through the day calmly

Post Thanks / Like

Good Day,

Jon - You're killing us !
    Larimar - What a good son you are.
    Alityke - I'm popping your package in the post today.

Yikes, better dash. SotD is Yellow Sea (M.Micallef).

Best to all

Post Thanks / Like

Sartorial this morning.

for swap/sale:

Borneo 1834.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday to our RainDropSparkle and please treat yourself to something nice -- you are so worth it.

Bombastic L. -- really? IMNSHaPO, they lacked a citrus-based something and a berry crunch possibly with nuts and baked peaked egg whites meringue. Rhubarb will be good this year (as PerfumedLady noticed in her part of the world) -- I checked ours yesterday -- but not until another week or two, it is still too fragile to violate.

Freezing this am, again. Lalique Perles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy Birthday Raindropsparkle. Have a wonderful day.

L, your mum in Knize Ten. Way to go girl. Never to old to be a femme fatale!

Ponging a bit today having overdone the samples then Mr Muscle oven cleaner. Phew. I will need to open a window!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sodt. Acqua di Parma colonia.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday, RainDropSparkle!

Thanks to an extraordinarily generous friend, SOTD is Bottega Veneta, a beautiful, refined floral-fruited suede leather that is supple and luxe. I'm getting associations to Daim Blond, Boxeuses, Gucci Rush. Bonus: Unsolicited compliment from my better half shortly after I put some on.

Notes include bergamot, pink pepper, jasmine, spices, plum, leather, patchouli, oak moss

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone Today it started snowing again...and it's a very grey day. Seeking comfort in L'heure bleue this morning, which makes me scent-twin with Alityke Happy birthday RainDropSparkle!!! Have a great day!! ( and the rest of you for that matter )

Post Thanks / Like

No SotD for me yet. It’s a gym morning. I’m still enjoying last night’s Opium edt. I am now the proud possessor of a vintage mini. If you use two drops, no more, it is wonderful. It makes me want to take up smoking again, though!

Jon, I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself. Nice about the weather.

Feel better soon, ((Warum)).

Larimar, yes the time we have with our loved ones is very precious. We need to love and appreciate each other while we have the chance.

Knit, I think it’s great that your dad is taking ballroom dancing at 88.

Happy Birthday, Raindropsparkle! I’ve always loved your username.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey y'all -

I'm in Beach Alien, aka Alien Sunessence Or d'Ambre.

Happy Birthday RainDropSparkle - I hope you have a wonderful and fragrant day!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh yucks. Life is too short to clean your oven!! I saw a van the other day. Someone has started a business doing home visits to clean ovens. At the time I though it too much of an extravagance, but today.....

Anyway, its' done and I am scrubbed up and in Nicolai, Temps D'Une Fete. I find it hard to describe. A green floral. Wet flowers then a sprite of a narcissus. Really, really lovely.

Knit, every Saturday afternoon in Glasgow there can be found a group of men and women, in their seventies, eighties, and yes nineties, in their best bib and tucker, out to hear a big band or swing/jazz, and to dance. They have been doing it for decades.The gents are handsome and the ladies have fantastic legs and neat figures at all ages. It is the dancing you see. So good for your dad!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Happy Birthday RainDropSparkle! (I like your name, too!)

SotD is Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare.

Well, today stated off as "one of those days". My daughter had a project to take to school so last night I offered her a ride so she wouldn't have to juggle it on the bus. We got to the school and as she stepped out of the car, I looked in the back seat and saw...she had forgotten to put the project in the car! Back home I went, and then back to the school with the project.

Then at 7:40 I gave Mom her wake up call and reminded her (again, having reminded her last night) that she had to fast for her blood tests this morning. Too late-- she'd gotten up extra early and had eaten a tomato! Had to cancel the tests and reschedule for next Tuesday. I now have to figure out how to stop her from eating breakfast that morning. She ignores signs that I leave. I may have to go over really early and camp out in her living room until she wakes up. Her memory is getting worse....

This afternoon I have to pick up my daughter and take her to the dentist. I hope she doesn't forget and get on the bus home-- at the rate we're going today, anything is possible!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I love reading this thread every morning and catching up with all.

Happy Birthday, RainDropSparkle--your name alone made me smile!

I love hearing the parent stories. My own mother is loving Chanel right now, and wore it during her long stay at a physical rehab center to heal from chemotherapy side effects. Now she is home and still smelling lovely.

Today, I am kicking off my renewed dedication to my writing: marketing a screenplay and planning how to complete the draft of my novel. I have some errands to run, and DZING! shall follow me lightly in a fragrant cloud.

The day will get better, 30Roses!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed Acier Aluminium this morning
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning everyone, I woke up thinking of Renee (rtamara41) so it was inevitable that I wear Mitsouko (vintage extrait) as my SOTD. With a tiny spritz, on my arm, of the vintage Eau de Cologne version also. Wow, this stuff is so satisfying. The extrait has this green, bitter, almost absinthe-like pungency to it that is irresistible.

Larimar - your Mom has wonderful taste, I see it runs in the family.
    Lilybelle - yep, just a tiny dab of vintage Opium is just enough. I think it's interesting that you have 'smoking' associations with it. For me, when I wear it, I think of being a kid when this came out and watching my family at some party dancing to disco music (probably my Mom or someone wore Opium??) It just smells so 70's, to me. Which I love.
    Roberto - that Rocabar ad/photo is great. I never liked the scent, but I do appreciate it's aesthetic/style.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Going to the orthopedist to have my arm xrayed, and then to work....co-workers already texting me.

I love your screen name RainDropSparkle!

There is always a lot of FONDANT in the SotD thread...no scent yet.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday, RainDropSparkle! Hope you have a lovely day!

((Warum)), feel better soon.

Knit, your dad taking ballroom dancing lessons at 88 is truly an inspiration!!

Larimar, I hope your mom has a good trip.

SotD is Galimard Grasse a Toi, from a dear BN friend.

Have a good day, everyone!

Today I am in a liberal slathering of my Cathedral in Flames. Giving away (5) 10ml descants to stateside contributers to today's Sotd thread. Pm me.

I am super excited about the plants I have been raising to help keep from going extinct, have started to open up. They are called nepenthe. A rare pitcher plant.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooh, wooznib, is that a carnivorous plant?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Hugs and best wishes to RainDropSparkle! Thinking of you today .

Lovely picture again ,Jon !
    Yes ,Larimar, time flies so fast sometimes, I can't believe it.
    Warum- I hope you are feelnig better today ?
    Many thoughts for (((RTamara .)))
    Wooznib- its that a monkey pitcher plant ? I think pitcher plants are cool .

I'm back in Chanel. No .22 . Knit- it's still raining here in the Valley .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

@30R yes Ma'am eats bugs
    @Mimi Yes Ma'am they are also called Monkey Cups

Here is the Wiki
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wooznib- they are totally amazing. I think I saw these out in SE Asia .

Mimi, I first encountered them when I was in the military. A small garden on Pattaya Beach Thailand had them and I fell in love. A friend who knew of my affection for them found 2 in bad condition at a local nursery. I went to inquire about them a few months ago and they didn't want to sell them to me. After they almost died, I convinced them to sell them to me and have nursed them back to health and am seeing the first Pitchers forming and opening up. It's very exciting. Now I have to figure out how to propagate them.

Here is the pair. Total 3 cups opened between them. Number 4 close.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday, RainDropSparkle! Hope you have a joyful day!

Sampling Azemour les Orangers by Parfum d'Empire today. I like this juicy orange chypre! Also tried their Iskander; same idea but with lemons. Also nice but the lemon note is very candied, like lemon drops. Love to eat lemon drops but not smell like them so I'm finding AlO to be the better of the two. Keep smelling my arm- wow! This is good.

Yes, Twolf, rhubarb is extra yummy this year; the Mr. said the same thing. Hated to have to cut ours already but it was "use it or lose it". We had so many hot days it was trying to flower and go to seed on me already. So it's very early for us but so delicious!

Oh, wooznib, your plants are fantastic! I've only ever seen the "maneaters" at our botanical conservatory here in town. Good luck with propagation!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 11th April 2012 at 03:00 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post

Now there is a fantastic looking plant!

The day just got weirder. Mom called and said she'd just looked at the clock and it said 11:00-- and could that possibly be right? Because "it's so light out".
    She thought it was 11:00 p.m.

*sigh*

I saw some great pics.

Happy Birthday to RainDrop!
    30 Roses, I do hope your day gets better!

I am wearing Guerlain Myrrhe et Delires from a sample. It is softly spicy and very elegant. It doesn't seem to have a lot of sillage, but just when I forget about it, I catch a whiff.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

By this weekend, I'll catch up reading this week's SotD threads. For now, big Attache-Moi hugs all around.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Missed you, Quarry!
    Happy Birthday, RainDropSparkle!
    Thanks to a kind and helpful BNer I ended up with a swap bottle and some cheaply acquired Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier bottles. I am wearing Centaure and Racine tonight. The Centaure is so weird and daring. I can totally see many of the MPG creations as a love or hate thing. I am in the love camp now, having them revisited them after more than two years of acquiring and developping my taste and experience.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTHwE...e_gdata_player
    The embedding link function does not seem to work properly, so I enclosed the plain link. Bonnie Raitt has a new album, in case you are interested and haven't heard the news yet. This is a fantastic bluesy tune - very much Larimar style!
    Thanks for the flowers, mike and your kind words all - Mom is home again and I bet she smells of My Sin.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Missed you, Quarry!
    Always the same without Mrs Q - serious withdrawal symptoms

I'll console myself by heading to the bar to sample one or two of the lethal cocktails they have here before this evenings repast. May need a lie in tomorrow ....

SotE is VC&A Cologne Noire.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Larimar you are an

Post Thanks / Like

Evening all. Belle d'Opium this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Lilybelle - yep, just a tiny dab of vintage Opium is just enough. I think it's interesting that you have 'smoking' associations with it. For me, when I wear it, I think of being a kid when this came out and watching my family at some party dancing to disco music (probably my Mom or someone wore Opium??) It just smells so 70's, to me. Which I love.
    Mike, I don’t understand the smoking association, but the classics often make me want a cig (which I haven’t had in years), or make me feel like I can catch a phantom whiff of cigarette smoke. It must be an association with that era. So many people smoked, and those potent fragrances always cut through the smoke, really seemed to compliment smoke. Luca Turin talked about that once, and I remember knowing exactly what he meant.

After they almost died, I convinced them to sell them to me and have nursed them back to health and am seeing the first Pitchers forming and opening up.
    That does sound gratifying.

Larimar, we haven’t heard from Ms. Raitt in a while. Thank you for the link.

I’m wearing a dab of VC&A First edp this afternoon from a vintage mini. I’m enjoying a coffret of vintage minis that I bought recently that includes First edp, Opium edt, Oscar parfum, and Volupté edt. This First edp smells richer and more animalic than my current version of First edt. I love my First edt because I love fragrances that sparkle like diamonds. The edp is sexy, though. I love the Opium, too. Volupté is nice in the beginning but died in the finish. Next up is Oscar. Maybe this evening.

(((Quarry))), I was thinking about you today. I miss you. I’m looking forward to seeing you posting again when you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the pair. Total 3 cups opened between them. Number 4 close
    Gorgeous plant! I semi-tend a few wild native rarities around the farm and woods. This one could swallow a hummingbird! It looks primeval. Love it.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

[COLOR="#EE82EE"]Happy Birthday, RainDropSparkle!![/COLOR]

I LUUUURVE Ms Bonnie Raitt and have been a fan for EVER!

In Cabaret. I generally read impressions of this as a "mossy" rose. I get more of a "salty ocean wave rose" Nice, in any case
    A Scent Rescuer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SOTD: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello my dear BN friends,

Thank you so much for the lovely birthday wishes. I read the thread in my morning rush - what a great way to start the day. Thank you for thinking of me. I'm thankful to be part of such a warm community.

The new Bonnie Raitt album might be the perfect little gift for me...although, I must say, if I had a green thumb, maybe I would think about cultivating that fantastic plant of wooznib's (whoa!).

Today - Chanel No. 19 (what else?)

Hugs to all, with an extra one for 30Roses...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely picture ! Thanks !

Quarry ! Hello and hugs !

RainDropSparkle - many happy returns of the day !

My SotD: Crabtree & Evelyn India Hicks Island Living Spider Lily EdT

Listed Notes: Spider lily, tropical citruses, orange blossom, night-blooming jasmine, palm leaves, "and a touch of sea air" :-)

Comments: This is a beachy tropical floral. Pretty, simple, and light.

Image: Crinum augustum (Giant Spider Lily), by Priscilla Susan Bury

Happy Birthday, RainDropSparkle!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey again -

We've had a small family emergency so we're back in New Orleans a few days early ...but there's always a bright side; the French Quarter Festival starts tomorrow, and now we won't have to miss any of it! Lots of great food, festive cocktails, live music and dancin' in the streets ...the usual.

I'm in La Perla, body cream and edt. Have a wonderful evening, everyone.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RainDropSparkle!!!
    Thanks to everyone for the Great pictures!!!
    Ferragamo F Black Pour Homme
    Gary

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday to RainDropSparkle!

And, also sending belated Happy Birthday greetings to those who have celebrated their birthdays during the last few days!

So many wonderful pictures in today's thread.

I'm back wearing perfume today after being sick for a couple of days, I chose Secrets de Rose.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday Ms Rain Drop Sparkle

Today wore Sarah Horwitz Coconut Milk perfume oil. I have a cold and this is a very soft comforting scent, a hit with the DH too. The pitcher plannt pic is awesome, I can't grow plants. Cats, yes. Kids, yes. Cats will cry at you when they are hungry, kids thrive on benign neglect. Plants just die. I am blessed/cursed with the American attention span, it seems.

30 roses, you are in my thoughts, I know that must be difficult. We went through this with my grandma, and my mom is in her 70s now, it looms again. I hope you can find joy in these years with your mom, and that she is happy and comfortable at least.

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Helmut Lang Cuiron Pour Homme tonight
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday, Raindropsparkle!

Wore Une Fleur de Cassie today and Jolie Madame yesterday. I cannot seem to get online very easily; pages still taking forever to load. Hope all is well with all of you.

Post Thanks / Like

TOTALLY off topic, but -- Does anyone know how to increase the size of images posted in the thread? I can no longer seem to make them any larger than the size of a large postage stamp. I have a Mac. . . .

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Sote Untitled by maison Martin Margiela (from a dwindling sample)
    A Scent Rescuer

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you, Robin-- Mom and I do have our laughs and smiles, and she has great affection for my daughter, for whom she is the sole surviving grandparent. The incidents (like today's) that remind me that she is losing ground mentally are discouraging, but I realize there will be more of them in the future and I'm going to have to get to where I can take them more in stride.

I wore Voyage d'Hermes today, and I applied a bit of Patchouli by Molinard to get me through history class.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.