Code of Conduct

Default Summer Gourmand with Pronounced Chocolate Note ??

Just wondering if there any gourmands that work well in the summer that have a prominent chocolate note ???

Preferably something in the lower price range (below $100) which probably leaves most niches out.

The two that I already have in mind are Hanae Mori EDT vs. L'Instant EDT (Cocoa note but close enough I guess)

Any ideas on which out of those two would better fit the bill ??

Also I've heard Hanae Mori EDT works well in the summer, does anyone know if the EDP can be pulled off in the summer as well ?? Does either have a more prominent chocolate note than the other??

I'm just looking for something with versatility but at the same time a decently noticeable chocolate note.

Thanks

Default Re: Summer Gourmand with Pronounced Chocolate Note ??

You could try Histoires de Parfums 1969 which is peach and rose with chocolate all mixed together. I do not like it but you may as it fits what you want.

The L'Instants are cocoa dominated but no straight up chocolate. If you do not mind the distinction then the EDT would be more suited for Summer. Also Hanae Mori EDT would be a good choice that you mentioned.

And last but no means least there is Rochas Man which is a decent scent which you can get away with wearing in the Summer.

Banned

Rochas Man by Rochas - In its opening, a pleasing lavender and bergamot arouse the senses. From afar, a sweet and creamy vanilla bobs eagerly. Thankfully, the lavender remains throughout the composition to rein in the sweetness. The tantalizing vanilla does intrude on that grassy lavender, and brings its sugary sweetness to the fore, steering it to its heart. The middle beckons, stewing with its coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, cedar, and rasberry notes, as well as some, lovely jasmine and lily-of-the-valley accords. The sweet vanilla blends nicely with the heart, creating a delicious mocha cafe, with hints of wood and floral twinkling. The smooth base with its amber, sandalwood, and glimpses of patchouli, usurps the melange, softening it, and evolves into its enticing drydown. It's a well-constructed gourmand. This delightful fragrance's longevity is good; and its projection is average for the first 3 hours, then sticks to the skin.

&

Play Intense by Givenchy
    - Upon application, one is pleasantly treated to a refreshing duet of nectarous, mandarin tangerine and somewhat tart bergamot. Tumbling to the waiting middle, the citrus mixes with the slightly spicy and fruity pink pepper and coffee tree wood to brew a sweet, cocoa concoction, and flows to the wondrous base. Transitioning, multifaceted labdanum kidnaps the cocoa mixture and morphs the cocoa into a not unpleasant, tar-like, burnt coffee. The syrupy coffee joins with the woody vetiver, the sweet patchouli, the spicy vanilla of the tonka beans, and the soft, balsamic amyris wood to exude an awesome, mocha drydown. A delectable treat, this radiant composition has excellent longevity and very good projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    You could try Histoires de Parfums 1969 which is peach and rose with chocolate all mixed together. I do not like it but you may as it fits what you want.
    This!

The L'Instants are cocoa dominated but no straight up chocolate. If you do not mind the distinction then the EDT would be more suited for Summer. Also Hanae Mori EDT would be a good choice that you mentioned.

And last but no means least there is Rochas Man which is a decent scent which you can get away with wearing in the Summer.
    This!

Amour de Cacao by CSP

+1 for Givenchy Play Intense.Dark Chocolate and coffee and has the perfect amount of sweetness for a semi gourmand.

Has to be Rochas Man for me.

Among your two, my vote for l'Instant, though as you say it is not a straightforward chocolate. But it's quite elegant and pleasant.

If you are OK with some flowers, I would also look into Dior Dune (the version for women, that is), which has a light chocolate drydown and seems to me quite good on a man too.

cacio

Rochas Man
    A*Men
    Play Intense

You also want to try out Chocolovers, from Aquolina. I haven't sniffed it, but others on here have said it pretty much does exactly what it says on the tin, in that it provides a pretty strong chocolate vibe.

Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao

Bond No. 9 I love new york for all!!

Not sure if you would consider the chocolate in Elegance by Lacoste to be "pronounced," but the others that often get mentioned are too heavy for hot weather, IMO.

Thierry Mugler's Sunessence

Reminds me of those Orange-Chocolate balls. It's basically citrus & green coffee

I'm gonna go with Rochas Man, Hanai Mori, and Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude by Givenchy. The latter two are heavier on the chocolate note, while Rochas Man is a little bit more of a creamy vanilla with cocoa. They each open freshly, though in different ways, and Hanai Mori may have the most natural-smelling composition of the three.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garšons
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9
    Soon to include "Ab Spirit Silver"

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Even though I have never tried it the sweetness of Chocolate Greedy by Montale sounds like a great choice for warm weather.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Just from the subject I had HM edt in mind. Not for everyone, but a very reasonably priced different frag.

+1 for Rochas man as well!
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Banned

Individuel- Mont Blanc. I read somewhere there are chocolate notes on it.

+1 for Rochas Man

It's a light gourmand with a nice chocolate note that is very versatile, probably the best gourmand I know for warm weather.

Animale Animale as long as you're easy on the trigger

Thanks for all the replies !

I'm gonna try to research everything mentioned, alot of fragrances I didn't even think of so thanks !

also I dont think anyone answered my 3rd of 4th question. As far as the Hanae Mori goes, which ones has the more prominent chocolate note, the EDT or the EDP ???? and is the EDP wearable in the summer ??? I would assume so since alot of people on here say the only difference is longevity ???

Keep the replies coming guys ! I'm still checkin different options, thanks again
    Last edited by psylence2k; 12th April 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Animale Animale as long as you're easy on the trigger
    Definitely agree. I don't much like chocolate but this one works for me.

I think Hanae Mori EdT would fit the bill best. It's got a nice airiness/lightness to go with the citrus topnotes and chocolate drydown. To me, it's a bit similar to Chanel Coromandel, which is less chocolatey and a bit more refined and rich. l'Instant is basically like cocoa powder on the drydown - it would work very well for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Indaco View Post
    I think Hanae Mori EdT would fit the bill best. It's got a nice airiness/lightness to go with the citrus topnotes and chocolate drydown. To me, it's a bit similar to Chanel Coromandel, which is less chocolatey and a bit more refined and rich. l'Instant is basically like cocoa powder on the drydown - it would work very well for summer.
    Agreed. Definitely do-able in the summer, although I prefer it as a winter scent.

LIDGE is another good summer gourmand, but I'm not a fan...

Basenotes Plus

I really like Montale Red Aoud. Wonderful gourmand with a delicious saffron/chocolate dry down. Fantastic projection and longevity.

Basenotes Member

I do not know really about chic but i do know about cocoa...
    Kokoriko!

I didn't care for hanae mori that much. I really like Givenchy Play Intense though. I also plan on getting Rochas Man.

But I definitely recommend GPI
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux