Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default XERJOFF OUD STARS: Our first review is in!

Default Re: XERJOFF OUD STARS: Our first review is in!

Gao, Najaf, and Zafar interest me the most. Is there a way to get samples of these?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

My shipment is on its way and should be in customs any day now. Then off to Luckyscent, Raffy and MIN. They will be available there. No samples are available yet.

Great review(s)! I really want to try these. Wonder where samples are available though... (?)
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Fars is the one Oud Star for those of you who like oud but really don’t want to have a lot of it in your fragrance that will probably be for you. Why? Because there is no oud in it
    is this true........there is no oud in Fars? oud wood is listed.....

double post..

If you're a previous customer at xerjoff.com you can request some samples at the end of the month.

Do they have testers at MiN yet?

Interesting and the reviews were well described. I just wish the reviewer would give their own opinion on what aspects they liked and disliked to give us a good idea if the fragrances are a hit or a miss.

Nice review.

They've piqued my interest hmmmmmmmmm

I've been wearing Zafar all day now. Let me say right here and now. Zafar is a masterpiece. It's so well executed in its blend, it actually creates an aura. Thats unique in my experience with perfume. Zafar is probably the least perfumery perfume I've ever smelled. I'll have more to say after some more wearings. By the way, I don't think it smells at all like Mark Behnke descibed. Mark knows his stuff, I've just had a different experience with Zafar.

Zafar is the sweetest oud I've ever smelled without being actually sweet. There is nothing even remotely fecal here. I think it's the itsy bit of green apple that tamed the oud, and blended Zafar so seamlessly.

My wife said Zafar smells like you want your life to smell like. I told her this stuff is like $395.00 for 50ml. She said, "I don't care I'm buying you a bottle for your birthday" My birthday is only four weeks from now - yeah baby.

Hey honey, do you want to renew our "wedding vows"?

Finally, a scent that will sit proud next to my bottle of "M"

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I've been wearing Zafar all day now. Let me say right here and now. Zafar is a masterpiece.
    Great update...thanks! You've really sparked my interest. Going to start looking into this one.

Brian, MiN does have testers of all the Oud Stars line. Amazing stuff.

Some of these sound impressive, looking forward to more members experiences with them
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Basenotes Institution

Wow Zafar sounds great, look forward to smelling it...although this line is SO expensive (sigh)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Had a delivery this morning and it was the other four samples I was waiting on:

I'll be trying out Al Khatt, Mamluk, Najaf and Zafar this week. I had a quick sniff of Mamluk and its gorgeous and can't wait to properly give them a full wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Had a delivery this morning and it was the other four samples I was waiting on:

I'll be trying out Al Khatt, Mamluk, Najaf and Zafar this week. I had a quick sniff of Mamluk and its gorgeous and can't wait to properly give them a full wearing.
    send those to me straight away and no one gets hurt.

The sample-pack with the Oud Stars arrived in my mail box today (together with a 100ml bottle Kobe :-) First impression: I`m impressed, but some of these scents are so Arabic / Middle East in style, that it`s just to much for my nose to handle. IMO Fars is the best, and most "wearable". It`s totaly unique, but somehow it`s like a rich Arabic version of L`Artisan Dzonkha. Both Zafar and Al-Khatt as a dirty note that reminds me of some kind of solid manure / muck! Mamluk is the one that smells most "pretty", and when I smelled it I got a Amouage Gold vibe without the heavy powder. The others from the line, are also very unique stuff, but I`m not so good at describing notes.

-According to my taste, I much prefer the regular Shooting Stars line. I got samples of the masculine scents, and most of them are stunning! Uden, Modoc and Dhofar are already on my wish-list ;-)

I just got my samples in today, will report back soon. Gao is my favorite so far and the description of Zafar in the review is apt. This is your no holds barred barnyard-blue cheese Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I just got my samples in today, will report back soon. Gao is my favorite so far and the description of Zafar in the review is apt. This is your no holds barred barnyard-blue cheese Oud.
    I will be interested to know if these are challenging to wear with a sour or funky fecal scent in the background. Or are gorgeous to smell as it can go either way with Oud based scents.

More 5 star reviews for the new Oud collection!!

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...y-xerjoff.html

Now these are some Xerjoff's I'm really eager to try, especially Mamluk and Zafar!

The note list and reviews all seem excellent I'm afraid. Even with the price tag and xerjoff's brand image I find myself wanting to sample these.

I was at MiN a couple nights ago with some friends. Someone had stolen the Zafar sample, so we only had the others. I tried Al-Khatt instead and let me tell you there is some potent juice in them thar Stars. Throughout our subsequent dinner, one of my friends (in her cute Australian accent) kept holding up a napkin between my scallops and hers, pleading that I shield her from the "oody thing on your arm."

After testing my samples for a while now, I will place Fars and Mamluk as my favorits (No doubt). Many of the others smells like muck..

Can I just ask where are peoples getting their samples from as I think Id like to try these out ???

Will go more in depth later, but so far Al-Khatt and Gao are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Can I just ask where are peoples getting their samples from as I think Id like to try these out ???
    I asked for a sample set when I ordered Kobe from the Xerjoff web-shop.

Thanks Oslo , I will give em a quick email

Ladies and Gentlemen. I just want to share a really good deal with you. Let's see, Oud Stars are are $315.00 for 50ml and $390.00 for Zafar. How about a Discovery Set of all six scents in 15ml bottles (90ml total) for $250.00. That's a steal by my calculator. I put my money wear my mouth is, and just bought one for myself.

https://minnewyork.com/perfumery/oud...y-xerjoff.html

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen. I just want to share a really good deal with you. Let's see, Oud Stars are are $315.00 for 50ml and $390.00 for Zafar. How about a Discovery Set of all six scents in 15ml bottles (90ml total) for $250.00. That's a steal by my calculator. I put my money wear my mouth is, and just bought one for myself.

https://minnewyork.com/perfumery/oud...y-xerjoff.html
    Thanks for doing the heavy lifting in the math dept for us. That actually is a decent deal in relative terms - guess without the 50ml/100ml fancy schmancy art deco bottle, it brings the pricing somewhat down to earth...very tempting...

Hmmmm I was just told Oud Stars arent available until the end of May and sampples arent available .

Im thinking liar liar pants on fire Xerjoff

First in fragrance is expected to have them from the 10th May, samples as well. Expensive though.

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/duefte...oud-stars.html

I've worn these six quite a few times now and have sampled in the region of 20-30 various Ouds this year ranging from Commercial to the likes of Borneo 3000 and Oud Luban so...

I've been blown away by three of the Oud Stars in particular and they are:

Al Khatt
    Gao
    Zafar

-Al Khatt projects like a monster on me and I'm tempted to say it might be my personal favourite. Its a pure middle eastern style fragrance with an incredibly addictive slightly sweet and incredibly defined woodly floral mix. Absolutely screams quality and is one of those aura style scents that gives you that uplifting feeling.

-Gao takes the usual supporting cast of Saffron and spices and turns the bar to 11, The quality of the Saffron in this is absolutely stunning and dwarves the comparitive note in the Maison Francis Kurkdijian Oud. The character of Oud in this is sublime and comforting. On its own the Oud note in this would be very highly regarded but the overall composition is genuinely masterful.

-Zafar feels like an Oud inspired evolution of CDG Avignon with MUCH higher quality ingredients. The first hour is a little challenging but the drydown is quite exceptional with an incredible mix of the highest quality incense I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing, Pepper & crisp apple all supported by a very potent rich no compromise Oud. Feels like your own personal spiritual journey. This one paints a very clear scene and blows you away while doing it. A great experience.

We then get to the other three:

-Mamluk is quite a departure for Xerjoff as its an unconventional Gourmand Oud scent. Throughout the length of the fragrance you'll smell a very sweet honey and caramel which has an almost rosey underlayer which stops it from being too sickly. 5 of the range are pure masculine but this one is unisex and has a very pretty oud which smells a little skanky close up but it always compliments the supporting notes. Quite intreaging.

-Fars is their attempt at a more commercial contempory scent with a fleeting oud character. I'm probably doing it a disservice as its better than 95% of the fragrances I've tried this year but doesn't really compare to the likes of the top three in this range. Its smooth as silk and has a solidity to it thats like a velvety chocolate but it comprises of notes you'd normally find in a traditional Italian cologne. Another one of those weird Xerjoff mixup attempts but it does work and is particularly good a few hours in.

-Najaf, Hmm I really don't like this one as the basenotes are verging on offensive and it has a totally different offputting character that the other scents don't exhibit. For me this one doesn't work and the base is too smokey and gives you that heady feeling and stink of a cheap cigarette. I find it very strange this one is part of the line as it feels like it doesn't belong. A big AVOID for me.

I personally think this line is more fleshed out and deserves to be much more successful than the standard Shooting Stars of which I'm not totally sold on. They all have truly excellent longevity and Al Khatt, Gao and Zafar have big sillage while the others are well above average.

Thebeck: I bet you grabbed MiN's last one! Luckily, I got one immediately as I knew there were only ten sets made. I am a HUGE fan of Xerjoff and the new Oud Stars line only solidifies that. Every one is a winner. Favorites: Al-Khat, Mamluk and Zafar.

Great review from Kron, though my favorits are Fars and Mamluk. Rest of the line are very well made, but a bit too challenging for my taste. Actually, Al Khat and Zafar has a note that reminds me of dung (something I don`t want to smell like :-) In any case, a bottle of Fars is on the way and I hope It will arrive soon.

I just love the way that these are available stateside before they are in Italy. :-( Can't complain, as a person on the website was very kind in sending me an email stating that we can order in Europe in late May. I, too, am a HUGE advocate of their discovery sets. A really great deal across all of their lines.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Dependent

These sound very intriguing! I hope to try em out at the new, bigger Scent Bar.

Just an update. I finally received my stock and they will be at Luckyscent, Min and Parfums Raffy in the next day or two! Finally!!!
    Last edited by cairomerta; 1st May 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Oud Stars:

Zafar - As far as Zafar specifically and it's "aged oud" - it is aged alright. Like someone died wearing it 500 years ago and was recently unearthed. Really horrid to my nose. If I was near someone wearing Zafar, I would run away. Wondering if maybe the sample I tested is whacked, as others love it so much.

Two others that just didn't click with me, as someone mentioned above were Fars and Najaff.

However others in the line that I think are good male scents:

Gao - In particular I sort of like Gao (very burnt incense-y and barren, colder weather to me, and probably closest scent-wise to MFK Oud or TF Oud Wood). I just get that Autumn vibe of crisp air, with a hint of burning leaves and woodstoves in the background.

Mamluk is the real winner if you're looking to attract the ladies I find it to be sweet, fun, and erotic, great for warm weather, or the intimate date or evening. If I could sum up Mamluk in one word, it would be: erotic.

Al Khatt is kind of a toss-up, reminds me of a more wearable/bearable form of Cartier Roadster. It's just got that musty old-bookstore vibe to it. Smells a little old-mannish to me, like for the 55-and-over crowd.

In summary, the only on that I found to be completely wearable, for a guy anyways, was Mamluk.
    Last edited by fsface; 8th May 2012 at 01:15 AM.

I pretty much disliked all of them. It was as though I were sniffing into rich, Oriental delicacies, than smelling a perfume.

Guess I'm in the minority that thinks MKF's Oud runs rings round Oud Stars.

I've worn these six quite a few times now and have sampled in the region of 20-30 various Ouds this year ranging from Commercial to the likes of Borneo 3000 and Oud Luban so...

I've been blown away by three of the Oud Stars in particular and they are:

Al Khatt
    Gao
    Zafar

-Al Khatt projects like a monster on me and I'm tempted to say it might be my personal favourite. Its a pure middle eastern style fragrance with an incredibly addictive slightly sweet and incredibly defined woodly floral mix. Absolutely screams quality and is one of those aura style scents that gives you that uplifting feeling.

-Gao takes the usual supporting cast of Saffron and spices and turns the bar to 11, The quality of the Saffron in this is absolutely stunning and dwarves the comparitive note in the Maison Francis Kurkdijian Oud. The character of Oud in this is sublime and comforting. On its own the Oud note in this would be very highly regarded but the overall composition is genuinely masterful.

-Zafar feels like an Oud inspired evolution of CDG Avignon with MUCH higher quality ingredients. The first hour is a little challenging but the drydown is quite exceptional with an incredible mix of the highest quality incense I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing, Pepper & crisp apple all supported by a very potent rich no compromise Oud. Feels like your own personal spiritual journey. This one paints a very clear scene and blows you away while doing it. A great experience.

We then get to the other three:

-Mamluk is quite a departure for Xerjoff as its an unconventional Gourmand Oud scent. Throughout the length of the fragrance you'll smell a very sweet honey and caramel which has an almost rosey underlayer which stops it from being too sickly. 5 of the range are pure masculine but this one is unisex and has a very pretty oud which smells a little skanky close up but it always compliments the supporting notes. Quite intreaging.

-Fars is their attempt at a more commercial contempory scent with a fleeting oud character. I'm probably doing it a disservice as its better than 95% of the fragrances I've tried this year but doesn't really compare to the likes of the top three in this range. Its smooth as silk and has a solidity to it thats like a velvety chocolate but it comprises of notes you'd normally find in a traditional Italian cologne. Another one of those weird Xerjoff mixup attempts but it does work and is particularly good a few hours in.

-Najaf, Hmm I really don't like this one as the basenotes are verging on offensive and it has a totally different offputting character that the other scents don't exhibit. For me this one doesn't work and the base is too smokey and gives you that heady feeling and stink of a cheap cigarette. I find it very strange this one is part of the line as it feels like it doesn't belong. A big AVOID for me.

I personally think this line is more fleshed out and deserves to be much more successful than the standard Shooting Stars of which I'm not totally sold on. They all have truly excellent longevity and Al Khatt, Gao and Zafar have big sillage while the others are well above average.
    Kron has really given us some very accurate one paragraph descriptions. I just want to add a few thoughts.

Al Khatt - Wasn't expecting to be so blown away, the quality of ingredients and the execution of the blend is impeccable. It just may be my favorite also.

Gao - I'm wearing this as I type today - everything Kron said and more. The saffron really is awesome. I thought I did't care for saffron, until I smelled Gao. Look out, Gao is extremely intoxicating.

Zafar - In the end this high quality oud drys down to be a high quality incense frag. What a beautiful journey Zafar gives us during the course of a wearing.

Mamluk - I think Kron slightly short changes Mamluk, not because he didn't like it though - he was simply so taken, as I was, with Al Khatt, Gao and Zafar. I love Mamluk on my wife, and she loves it too. Long lasting, and the caramel is divine.

Fars - Most definitely the westernized scent of the group. This is Kobe reformulated (not really, just wanted to give you an idea what it might be like), and just as good. The now infamous Xerjoff citrus accord shines through and gives us a conservative, upscale, and unique gentlemens perfume. Fars would be at home with anyone taking a ride in Air Force One.

Najaf - I guess Kron and I have one disagreement. The only thing that should be avoided is smelling where you sprayed up close, it's skanky that way. What Najaf exhibits in the air to the wearer, and others is a totally different matter. The sillage is a nice woody smokey affair that's unique to my nose. Very pleasing if you don't stick your nose in it.

Xerjoff has really delivered the goods with the new Oud Star Collection. High quality ingredients with unique, exemplary blends, to tantalize, and exhilarate our noses with new experiences.

I hope our fellow Basenoter, and USA Xerjoff Distributor (cairomerta) had some say in the outcome. He has a great nose himself. Kudos to the Xerjoff team for taking the time and effort to do perfume right, from the ground up. All the attention to detail really shines in the Oud Star Collection.
    Last edited by thebeck; 10th May 2012 at 07:32 PM.

They are pushing back the release in Europe. Now only available June 15th (at the earliest) via the web boutique. Bummer.

Edit: BUT available NOW from first in fragrance. The full bottles, I mean - not the discovery set. I don't at all understand the perfume business. Why the source will be the last to stock these things is just odd.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 14th May 2012 at 08:11 PM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

There seems to be more than one incident of the Oud Stars Sampler box having the wrong juice in the Zafar bottle. At least one of the reviews of Zafar above (saying that it's horrid, like somebody died) might suggest some of you have crossed paths with this situation. One person has described the juice as being a bad batch of Najaf.

Zafar: Smells like the sweaty buttcrack of a camel.

Biggest fragrance disappointment of 2012. Try out LM parfum's Black oud, it destroys Gao.

One good thing comes out of the money wasted for the sample set: A new appreciation for Al oudh, Bond's Harrods oud, Armani privé's Oud royal, Mona di orio's Oud, and even MFK's oud.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

You said yourseld you're nose isn't very good, I can totally believe that if you think those easy to appreciate scents are your basis for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndySais View Post
    Zafar: Smells like the sweaty buttcrack of a camel.

Biggest fragrance disappointment of 2012. Try out LM parfum's Black oud, it destroys Gao.

One good thing comes out of the money wasted for the sample set: A new appreciation for Al oudh, Bond's Harrods oud, Armani privé's Oud royal, Mona di orio's Oud, and even MFK's oud.
    You said yourseld you're nose isn't very good, I can totally believe that if you think those easy to appreciate scents are your basis for a comparison.
    It is more likely, I would say, that you are both smelling different scents labelled Zafar. I don't believe that MrAndySais' nose is that bad when he otherwise has such good taste. My 2¢.

I do agree however that I would take any of those other oud fragrances over the Xerjoff. The three that I have tried so far lacked subtlety to the point of being obnoxious. I was however looking forward to trying Zafar, as thebeck and Kron both saying good things about it is enough for me to suspend disbelief.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 12th May 2012 at 07:51 PM.

Based on the picture above Zafar seems to be much lighter in color than the others. That should make it pretty easy to tell if it's the wrong juice in a bottle, right?

I don't think anyone is getting different juices. We just have different opinions on what the juice smells like, and that's okay. I have a discovery set, and I can assure everyone, not one smells like camel buttcrack - but I could be wrong since I haven't experienced the smell of camel buttcrack.

The oud in Zafar is much sweeter, more like Angelina Jolie's sweeter side.

I do get nasty ass smell from synthetic ouds, like Le Labo Oud 27 and others.

Have any of you experiencing these also tried Abdes Salaam's (la via del profumo) Oud Caravan series? I am slowly nursing a bottle of #3, and have 5ml samples of 1 & 2. I say nursing, as I haven´t quite felt comfortable wearing them out yet, but really like what is happening there. Without any judgement whatsoever on the use of the word, Brian - might you consider these obnoxious? I suppose I am just curious how far these fall in the east-west continuum of the "acceptable barnyard".

I have never smelled a pure oud oil, so Profumo's may be the closest I have. As for the others mentioned - I love Al Oudh for its warmth and boozy sexiness but not as an Oud scent, and I tend to place the Tom Ford offering (fleeting), Harrods (Fleeting + minor umph), Duro, and a few Montales (Dark Aoud and Aoud Musk) as all playing in the same "key". Di Orio's is beautiful, but more floral than Oud on me. Epic Man is loud, but more spice than wood on me.

Guess what I'm saying, I was sort of hoping that these Oud Stars would be a bit out there... different... challenging... even... OBNOXIOUS!

If you want to watch a reaction indicative of the "obnoxious" quality... there is a moment 7 minutes into this overly-long review (of all six) that made me laugh. It concerns GAO : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YfAxUZCcBg

That YouTube review is pure amateur drama . The Profumo Oud caravan series are fantastic , I've loved trying them out . I may eventually try the Oud stars series but won't be in any great hurry to do so , I'm sure they don't bring anything revolutionary to the Oud market ?????

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    Have any of you experiencing these also tried Abdes Salaam's (la via del profumo) Oud Caravan series? I am slowly nursing a bottle of #3, and have 5ml samples of 1 & 2. I say nursing, as I haven´t quite felt comfortable wearing them out yet, but really like what is happening there. Without any judgement whatsoever on the use of the word, Brian - might you consider these obnoxious? I suppose I am just curious how far these fall in the east-west continuum of the "acceptable barnyard".

I have never smelled a pure oud oil, so Profumo's may be the closest I have. As for the others mentioned - I love Al Oudh for its warmth and boozy sexiness but not as an Oud scent, and I tend to place the Tom Ford offering (fleeting), Harrods (Fleeting + minor umph), Duro, and a few Montales (Dark Aoud and Aoud Musk) as all playing in the same "key". Di Orio's is beautiful, but more floral than Oud on me. Epic Man is loud, but more spice than wood on me.

Guess what I'm saying, I was sort of hoping that these Oud Stars would be a bit out there... different... challenging... even... OBNOXIOUS!

If you want to watch a reaction indicative of the "obnoxious" quality... there is a moment 7 minutes into this overly-long review (of all six) that made me laugh. It concerns GAO : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YfAxUZCcBg
    I saw that video last week and cracked up. Funny couple. I guess the guy doesn't like safforn. My wife and I had a totally different experience with Gao. We were both so blown away with the quality of the saffron, we just couldn't get enough of it. I wore Gao for the first 4 days after getting my first whiff, I loved it so much.

I have just recently sampled Caravan #3. I think it's decent, but don't have the urge to wear it.

Abdes Salaam always does interesting things, a very fine nose.

Not sure if I'll get any samples of these to try, but they all sound promising.
    I'm still waiting since last October for samples to try of the line that came out before this new one. Can't remember what it was called, but there was about 6 bottles, think they were all purple coloured.

Well my sample of the Oud Star Al-Khat has arrived and I am wearing it as I type and the following is my take on the fragrance.

This opens with bergamont and jasmine giving the scent that Summer freshness. Then the skanky Laotian Oud comes in to the mix and it does have that barnyard stink. Thankfully this only lasts for ten minutes tops and mostly disappears and you can only smell it ever so slightly. It does add a carnal sensuality under the Summer fresh jasmine accord which dominates and after a while it dissappears. So if you can get past the first ten minutes its not a issue. After a few hours the vanille comes into play and slightly sweetens the jasmine accord without it losing that Summer freshness.

The fragrance projects strongly and lasts and the ingredients are top notch. The thing I like about this fragrance which for me makes it stand out is the floral fresh jasmine accord which is perfect for the Summer. Most fragrances have lemon, orange or citrus which makes this one a pleasent change. Though there is no denying that this is more on the feminine side of unisex. Those who are looking for a Oud dominanted fragrance will be disappointed me thinks as it disappears completly forty minutes in.

So to sum up a Summer fresh jasmine dominated fragrance which has the skanky Oud for the first forty minutes then disappears completly. Its floral and gets sweeter without losing that freshness which leans towards the feminine side of unisex. I have to say this would smell great on a woman.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 16th May 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Well my sample of the Oud Star Al-Khat has arrived and I am wearing it as I type and the following is my take on the fragrance.

This opens with bergamont and jasmine giving the scent that Summer freshness. Then the skanky Laotian Oud comes in to the mix and it does have that barnyard stink. Thankfully this only lasts for ten minutes tops and mostly disappears and you can only smell it ever so slightly. It does add a carnal sensuality under the Summer fresh jasmine accord which dominates and after a while it dissappears. So if you can get past the first ten minutes its not a issue. After a few hours the vanille comes into play and slightly sweetens the jasmine accord without it losing that Summer freshness.

The fragrance projects strongly and lasts and the ingredients are top notch. The thing I like about this fragrance which for me makes it stand out is the floral fresh jasmine accord which is perfect for the Summer. Most fragrances have lemon, orange or citrus which makes this one a pleasent change. Though there is no denying that this is more on the feminine side of unisex. Those who are looking for a Oud dominanted fragrance will be disappointed me thinks as it disappears completly forty minutes in.

So to sum up a Summer fresh jasmine dominated fragrance which has the skanky Oud for the first forty minutes then disappears completly. Its floral and gets sweeter without losing that freshness which leans towards the feminine side of unisex. I have to say this would smell great on a women.
    The only thing I disagree with is the leaning towards feminine part. For me, it's unisex, with a heavy lean towards masculine.

Lol....Really, now you are not pulling my leg now Beck...lol. I guess I'm just used to floral jasmine dominated scents been more part of womens fragrances then mens. Though I think its a very lovely fragrance and it does have that uplifting feel good factor that Kron refers to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Lol....Really, now you are not pulling my leg now Beck...lol. I guess I'm just used to floral jasmine dominated scents been more part of womens fragrances then mens. Though I think its a very lovely fragrance and it does have that uplifting feel good factor that Kron refers to.
    I just know whenever there's a little floral, you think it's feminine. Like Homage. You and I just like to disagree on gender when it comes to scents. That's okay - we can have differences of opinions. Basenoters should hear them all, and make up their own minds.

I do always enjoy what you have to say.

Just a note. In the middle east, scents with floral aspects are not necessarily for women. Men in the middle east often wear scents like this with rose and jasmine in them. It helps cut some of the heft of the Oud. Al-Khatt is exactly like a Oud Mukhalat you would smell on many people, Men and women, wearing in the middle east.

I just want to say I sprayed on Oud Star Al-Khat early this morning and its still going strong now with about seventeen hours longevity. Thats mad its a fragrance thats everlasting.lol