Code of Conduct

Question A rose for layering - any recommendations?

Hey everyone,

sooo... I recently sampled a few fragrances from "Les parfums de Rosine" and I really liked "Diabolo Rose" which is mainly mint and rose. However I just accepted the fact that it's too feminine and soft for me to love / buy it.

So now I want to layer rose and mint since there aren't many fragrances out there (any?) based on these two notes. I think one of my next buys will be "Geranium pour Monsieur" so I think I will have the minty side covered with this, now I need a good soliflore rose scent to layer it with!

It should be fresh and green if possible, not too earthy and not too expensive!
    (well, one can always look for decants)
    I'm thinking about something along the lines of CDG's Rose which is a more fruity rose even though I think it doesn't last long.

Does anyone have experience with layering mint and rose? Any suggestions to help me out?
    Last edited by sin_is_in; 13th April 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: A rose for layering - any recommendations?

Montale Black Aoud

Les Parfums de Rosine Rosissimo

Banned

I like Rive Gauche (female) aldehydes + roses.

Czech and Speake Dark Rose is a good one. Hard to get your hands on though

Basenotes Plus

The Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose- under $10 for 100 ml.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Plus

The Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose - One of the best inexpensive rose scents out there
    Czech & Speakes Dark Rose - breathtaking dark rose, can be found at the Cambridge Chemists

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    The Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose- under $10 for 100 ml.
    This is the one you want.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

In addition to Tea Rose (already mentioned) you might also try, YSL's Paris. It's carried at all the discounters and is rose, aldehydes & violet.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

For a very green rose you could try L'ombre dans l'eau by Diptyque.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I think I will just have to sample sample sample... But all you niche brands: More rose and mint fragrances please!

"Rosissimo" is too much in the aromatic, citrus-side.
    "Dark Rose" is petty close to what I wanted but I won't buy a full bottle of it, it's also a headache candidate and maybe too dark.
    "L'ombre dans l'eau" is more berries and leaves to me, I wore it once and it became old-fashioned on my skin.
    "Tea Rose" sounds interesting and I found some other goodies on ebay. Molinard, yardley....

I think one of my next purchases will either be "…cume de Rose" or "Rose au bord de la mer" by Les Parfums de Rosine, those are lovely on their own and maybe that'll do for layering with mint... I'm just starting to become a total rose lover it seems.

The only rose I use to layer anything with is Highness Rose by Montale. It's just plain rose with nothing else, so it doesn't get weird. Layer it with anything. Just dig a little deeper in your wallet and you'll be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Les Parfums de Rosine Rosissimo
    My wife bought me a bottle of this watered down crap. I threw it in the trash with the cat liter when she wasn't looking.

If you have money to spare, Strange Invisible Perfumes ( http://www.siperfumes.com/) has a scent called Black Rosette. Notes listed are roses, black tea, leather & spearmint. It is unisex to slightly masculine with (to my nose) Bulgarian rose and spearmint as the dominant notes. The edp has rather good longevity.
    Eyas
    Perfumista -in-Training

Banned

Incense Oud by By Killian.

Smile Re: A rose for layering - any recommendations?

Hello there

Rose for layering: definitely: Yardley English Rose (very good and affordable), Yves Rocher Rose Absolute (engl Absolue), and again a cheapy one: The Body Shop Rose Marocain (very fresh rose). I have a very good experience with all of them. Great for layering.There is one more - darling of mine - Al Haramain Taifi EdP not expensive and of supreme quality!

Have a lovely day!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    The only rose I use to layer anything with is Highness Rose by Montale. It's just plain rose with nothing else, so it doesn't get weird. Layer it with anything. Just dig a little deeper in your wallet and you'll be rewarded.
    +1

Apart from actual essential oil, Highness Rose would be my only rose frag that definitely works wonders for layering. Rose de Mai used in Highness Rose is one of my favourite types of rose flower scent - it's so fresh, airy, etherial and youthful it's really hard to beat. My only other rose that I use for layering is a breathtaking Rosa Alba (White Rose) pure essential oil from SMK Fragrances. I have tried several other rose frags and essential oils but only these two continue to blow my mind away.

Another vote for Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop here; it's the one I use when I want to add a layer of rosey goodness to my daily scents.

Wink Re: A rose for layering - any recommendations?

My personal favorite is Woods of Windsor's Eglantine (wild rose). It smells exactly like wild roses that grew where I grew up. It is perfectly linear and long-lasting for this type of use.

Some of my favorite layerings with it are:

1 spray Eglantine + 2 sprays Kouros... this is fantastic as the Eglantine has the staying power to hang in there with the Big K and it adds an extra demension to the whole experience that is Kouros.

1 spray of Eglantine + 3 sprays of Fred Hayman's Touch.... this puts a wonderful underpinning of natural rose under the straight ahead "barbershop" scent that is Touch.

1 light spray of Eglantine + 3-4 sprays of Baldisarini Del Mar.... this adds a wonderful floral dimension to the marine goodness that is Del Mar.

i've been wanting to try the Tea Rose but just haven't got to it yet.

I like Jo Malone's Rose Cologne

I like Jo Malone's Rose Cologne

I highly recommend Creed's Fleur de The Rose Bulgarie - preferably from a green glass flacon - it can be layered with many of the other citrus Creeds for fantastic results (MI + FdTRB = Bliss).

Double Post

Simple rose that is easy to layer = Paul Smith's Rose

Its straight up rose with a freshener of green tea but so well blended I find it impossible to tear the notes part on sniffing.

I layer it with Versace The Dreamer but it stands alone perfectly as a simple rose soliflore

I offer a very simple Rose, containing nothing but pure rose otto as part of my Simple Essence range.

Because itís made only from natural rose otto it isnít dirt cheap, but it is about as simple as itís possible to be - the concept was all about layering so might perhaps suit you.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.