Code of Conduct

Default Searching for my signature "sparkling citrus"

I have been wearing colognes for years, but I never really put too much thought into it. I usually just bought one bottle at a time (usually an aquatic) and used it until I ran out, then went and bought another (usually an aquatic). Lately I have read Turin and Sanchez's guide and have been getting more interested, and want to start to put together a nice wardrobe. I admit that aquatics smell nice and I do like them, but I want to branch out into some more "serious" fragrances that aren't so synthetic. I do not really care for really heavy, spicy scents.

Let me try to explain what I'm looking for in my limited frag-speak:

I want a bright sparkling citrus, maybe leaning more to the sour orange side than the lemon side. I like green herbal notes, but more towards the peppery torn basil leaf or minty side than the resinous pine or cedar. To be honest, I wouldn't mind a slight floral sweetness, maybe a touch of tea-rose or jasmine. Violet leaf in limited doses is appreciated. Even though I appreciate the bracing freshness of citrus, I want the scent to be rounded out with a ginger-y, creamy warmth so that it isn't totally dry. I also appreciate some woods in the base, but nothing with that hamster cage bedding feel that some colognes tend to have.

I really have no idea if what I've described makes any sense. I do appreciate the overused "fresh, clean" aesthetic often used to describe the aquatics, but I want something a little more grown up without getting too musky or spicy.

I don't mind spending some money for a quality fragrance. Maybe a Chanel or Guerlain would be a good place to start? Creed is intriguing, but alot of people seem to think it's overrated.

What I currently have: Grey Flannel (interesting, but a tad too much violet leaf sweetness--what is that weird fizzy opening?); Beyond Paradise Men (I know this is polarizing, but I love the juicy tropical feel of this, but it disappears on me so fast and is very linear); Cool Water; an old bottle of Aramis that belonged to my grandfather; Shalimar edp (don't really wear this out--afraid it's too feminine, but sometimes I wear it at home); Eternity Summer (bought this several months ago--safe, but boring); He Wood (bought a year ago-way too much violet leaf); Acqua di Gio (really old bottle with maybe 2 sprays left); Bulgari Black (blind bought at a good price based on Turin's rave, not sure what I feel about this yet, feels more winterish).

I have noticed since I have been paying alot more attention to fragrances lately is that the really sweet colognes actually give me a dull headache. Also, I notice the aquatics disappear on me almost in every case within 3 or 4 hours.

Default Re: Searching for my signature "sparkling citrus"

Perhaps Sienne D'Orange by The Different Company might work for you.

M; Men by Matsushima.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though a lot of people here at Base Notes really dislike "sport" fragrances, and really dislike Armani Code Sport, personally, I love it! From your description, it seems like it could fit the bill-It's got citrus, mint, and ginger, and it has a fizzy feel to it. It's a great refreshing fragrance.

Not sure what you feel about grapegruit, but Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose is so far my favourite for a citrus-dominated yet balanced scent... it has some floral rounding and a nice hint of a woody drydown, but the zing of grapefruit zest comes through. People seem to have very varying experiences with longevity -- it's pretty good on me, 6-8 hours. Not much sillage, more a skin scent. Have a sniff!

An easy to find suggestion is Givenchy Play. It's more of a sweet/smooth orange, some pepper, a light sandalwood note and some vetiver in the base. Hints of florals within, and a hint of coffee, but mostly a clean sparkling orange and light wood. It's extremely versatile, too.

I've got to go get ready for work - I'll think of more suggestions and post later.

Post Thanks / Like

Terre d'Hermes would be fitting for a non-lemony sparkling citrus with more depth and complexity but it has no sweetness in it. Whereas Minotaure is creamier and warmer but I'm not sure you can call it sparkling.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also want to consider Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Hermes Concentree d'oranges vertes is a striking sour lime-orange with green touches. No woody base, though, and as all good citruses, it's not especially long lasting. But great if what one is looking for is the citrus blast.
    Eau de Cartier (the regular) has more violet leaf and a woody base.

In the past, Eau Sauvage and Chanel Pour Monsieur (regular, not concentree) would have done, but Eau sauvage has been thinned, and CPM is not sold in the US.

cacio

i guess you might like:
    loewe solo
    mugler cologne

Post Thanks / Like

Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian also check out the EDT version

On the cheap side Mugler Cologne fits the bill, but I think you would really like Frapin L'humaniste.

And for a lighter violet frag try Bvlgari Man, gets bashed a lot but I think it's quite nice.

terre d'hermès or my new favorite, citrus & woods by yardley.
    I am

Post Thanks / Like

Xerjoff excel at sparkling citrus, you may want to check out Kobe and 1861 from their line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    You might also want to consider Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme.
    + 1
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Xerjoff excel at sparkling citrus, you may want to check out Kobe and 1861 from their line.
    I definitely second Duke Hunt on his recommendations, just would like to add the following:

- Xerjoff 1861 - Pure, Clean, airy (Citrus Paradise)
    - Xerjoff Kobe - Citrus with Woods (Mysterious concoction)
    - Xerjoff Nio - Staring over Fields of Bergamotta

Post Thanks / Like

Here are four that I highly recommend in order of my favorites for sparkling citrus notes.

Parfums d' Empire Azemour is simply the very best orange citrus fragrance I have ever smelled. It is extremely beautiful. It is a chypre fragrance so there is a dryness at the base of the citrus. It is very clean and refreshing but is also kind of dry.

Editions Frederic Malle Bigarade Concentree is incredibly good. There is a slight dirty note in the base of this scent that makes it very interesting after the tangerine orange scent.

Villoresi Aqua di Colonia is an incredibly nice neroli and bergamot eau de cologne. It does sparkle.

Hermes Concentree d' Orange Verte is a personal favorite of mine. However, there green, orange + clean minty herbal notes that blend out the the citrus a little bit. Highly recommended.

Atelier Orange Sanguine is still their best selling fragrance and it contains 3 different types of orange ingredients. Very orange. Bois Blonds by the same company is also a nice orange scent with a very dominant light woods base (bois blonds).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    An easy to find suggestion is Givenchy Play. It's more of a sweet/smooth orange, some pepper, a light sandalwood note and some vetiver in the base. Hints of florals within, and a hint of coffee, but mostly a clean sparkling orange and light wood. It's extremely versatile, too.
    +1 and try:

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company - Upon application, one is treated to a refreshing mixture of tangy grapefruit commingling with the mild spiciness of cardamon. A vetiver undercurrent imparts its reedy and grassy facets, and carries the almost airy opening to its metamorphic heart. Here, parsley-like liveche imparts its celery-like and faintly anise facets and interplays with the cardamon to foster a medicinal and salty illusion, while geranium add its lemony and slightly peppery, herbaceous quality. And, a creamy floralcy from ylang-ylang flutters about the fragrant, rooty and woody aspects of a pronounced vetiver. Transitioning to the comforting base, iris with its violet-like and powdery character interplays with a musty, yet peppery, earthiness from patchouli. Salicylates impart a faint odor of sunbathing lotion, while the smoky aspect of the vetiver now comes into its own. A mellow drydown ensues. This somewhat light composition have average projection and longevity.

&

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein - One is initially treated to a mildly fresh accord. Clementine, with its sweet orangey and faint floral facets, lavender with its clean, herbal character, as well as cumcumber, with its medicinal, sea-like aspect, all commingle in a brisk concoction. A cloud of something, perhaps aldehydes or the cryptic, energy drink accent, imparts an effervescence to the invigorating blend. Transitioning to the heart, a field day with herbs is had. Leafy, black basil, with its licorice accent, vivacious and woody black pepper as well as mildly spicy and sweet cardamom encase the opening. A nascent tobacco serves as a backdrop to the herbal jubilation. Segueing to the base, the rich and spicy tabacco has come into full bloom, while an earthy mustiness of patchouli flitters about. A pleasant ambrene wood infuses its laurel-like, sweet and spicy, woody overtures. And, a casheran musk imparts its velvety, somewhat floral bouquet. An enjoyable drydown ensues. This versatile composition is an all-season scent with average projection and average longevity, 6-8 hours. Its favorable price point makes this fragrance even more welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

As others mentioned, Terre d'Hermes is great for orange. Kenzo Tokyo has nice ginger/citrus accords. Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia is difficult to find, but has great sparkly citrus offset with spices.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want truly sparkling citrus - it's Frapin L'Humaniste. Terre d'Hermes is nice, but it aint a sparkling citrus by any means. It's an elegant Dad scent. Younger dad, but still Dad IMO.

Honorable mention goes to Creed Silver Mountain Water, which sparkles kinda like 7Up.

Post Thanks / Like

Prelude to Heaven By Kilian: Orange, Orange Blossom and Iris, fresh and very natural smelling.
    Bamboo Harmony By Kilian: Citrus and tea... this is the best citrus opening I have EVER experienced!
    Eau d'Orange Verte, Hermes: Orange and oakmoss, short longevity, classic eau de cologne.

And for an easily available designer, Varvatos Artisan: Musky orange with a touch of woods, short longevity. Natural smelling.

Its not exactly what you described but you may like Cartier - Declaration
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Xerjoff 1861 from me.

Eau Sauvage by Dior! Prominent citruses from the first spray!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    This ^

Another one for Xerjoff 1861.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    ...Hermes Concentree d'oranges vertes is a striking sour lime-orange with green touches. No woody base, though, and as all good citruses, it's not especially long lasting. But great if what one is looking for is the citrus blast...
    I agree.

Note to OP: Good, sparkling citruses do NOT last long, that's how you know it's 'natural' because citrus notes in nature are fleeting.

If you don't mind something a bit more tenacious (and synthetic) then do try Orange Sanguine by Atelier and/or Acqua Viva by Profumum. Word of caution: These are both very expensive fragrances.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Sample Le Jardin du Poète, by Eau d' Italie. It checks with a lot of your criteria: sparkling citrus, green herbal notes, basil, rounded off by a great cypress/vetiver base. Longevity is good for this type of fragrance. Smells very very natural.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one for Concentré d'Orange Verte

Ok, here's one that I'd almost recommend blind buying since it's so cheap: Le Roy Soleil by Dali. The name translates to "The Sun King" and it is fitting. Le Roy Soleil is about a bright, tart, yet slightly sweet citrus - grapefruit and orange zest, mainly, along with a hint of jasmine and geranium, over a slightly woody ambery base. There's an aquatic note that is seamlessly blended with the citric elements, and the woody amber base is 'glowing' in a sense. Yes, there's some cedar, but it is NOT the hamster cage variety.

Overall, a wonderful warm and dreamy scent. It's not sparkling in a crystalline sense, but more of a 'radiant and warm glow.'

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Azemour by Parfum D'Empire - best midrange
    Orange Star by Tauer - best pricey
    Tokyo Mama FIZZZZZ by Smell Bent - best cheapie

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to check out Diptyque's colognes.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Orange Star by Tauer didn't work for me, my friend said it smells like a toilet with those urinal cakes

+1 Villoresi Acqua di Colonia. Try also Villoresi's Uomo. It is great!
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kandiman View Post
    Orange Star by Tauer didn't work for me, my friend said it smells like a toilet with those urinal cakes
    Everything smells like urinal cakes apparantly, or old lady.
    You don't need to worry, your friends nose is probably only familiar with about 2 notes.

Post Thanks / Like

Concentree d'Orange Vert or Eau d'Orange Vert (more sparkle, less longevity)

Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperial (SPARKLING!...but disappears in 15 minutes

Eau de Cartier Concentree Orange

Maybe Guerlain Homme L'Eau (grapefruit and mint....great frag, not sure if it fits the bill though(

I have to disagree with the Terre D'Hermes recommendations...I love TDH, but there's nothing 'sparkling' about it...its very earthy and mineralic, and the orange is a 'dirty' orange.

Post Thanks / Like

Orange Sanguine from Atelier
    Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse from Creed
    Hesperides from Fresh
    Citron de Vigne from Fresh
    The Bergamote (Bergamot Tea) L'Occitane
    APOM Pour Homme from Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    Another one for Concentré d'Orange Verte
    Definitely try this one.

Post Thanks / Like

...try Eau de Guerlain: it's great...!

The second I saw sparkling citrus, I thought Hermessence Pamplemousse Rose. I definetely second that! As far as citrus, ginger, plus a little wood, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try Cartier Declaration Cologne. Also, I found Xerjoff Kobe to be pretty good as well. Give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Neil Morris Takashimaya
    Xerjoff Nio
    CDG Soda
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." Acjigga's Favorites - Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Vero Profumo Mito, Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Aventus, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Opus Oils Mother EDP, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Slumberhouse Jeke extrait, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud, Xerjoff Fars & Xerjoff Gao

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good suggestions here.

Eau de Guerlain +1

Laura Tonatto Iss

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you add John Varvatos Artisan to your list of things to consider.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...try Eau de Guerlain: it's great...!
    +1.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....