Code of Conduct

Default YSL L'Homme Libre very similar to Bleu de Chanel!

Woman at the boutique told me it lasts longer as well and I agree after testing! What do you guys think? If I were to finish my 100 mL flask of Bleu de Chanel in a couple months and I wanted another one, should I get L'Homme Libre instead since it lasts longer?

Default Re: YSL L'Homme Libre very similar to Bleu de Chanel!

They smell different to me. Both nice IMO.

Very similar in that they don't really stand out at all...but I think BdC is higher quality.

I find them different as well but Bleu is the better scent imo out of the two.

Both terrible.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

I find both to be very boring, but would choose bleu if I really had to.

Lol@ the replies thus far. If I'm not mistaken, this is the flanker that smelled alot like Nautica Oceans. The second I smelled it, I was like yup, Oceans!

Basenotes Plus

The similarity lies in the mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien:2530589
    Both terrible.
    Wow you added a lot to this conversation.

They are similar scents. They have a similar effect, but I think I like Libre more. I have Libre and Bleu is on my buy list.

I didn't like Bleu de Chanel at first sniff. Will have to give it another try soon as first testing is often not exactly influential to my nose. Speaking of L'Homme Libre - I didn't like it that much to buy even a smallest bottled, but I invested in small 10ml travel spray of it.

I find them to be different and I prefer Libre.....BDC is awful.....Gary

I do agree. To me they are very similar. Though Bleu is richer in the dry down both scent have a lot of the same.

Similar kind of vibe I guess, but I don't think they smell similar enough to compare the two. I get an almost orange, slightly aquatic, woody, and slightly powdery vibe out of Bleu. Libre's dry down is inferior to Bleu's and the reason people love it.

L'Homme Libre started giving me a headache after a while. It's like a kitchen spice blended into some sort of shampoo smell. ICK.

I used to love Bleu de Chanel but something about it always caused headaches. I do have a sample of L'Homme Libre and I see a few similarities on the initial spray but very different during the dry-down. Its more synthetic as well but like it over Bleu de Chanel just because it doesnt give that headache Bleu does.
    Top 5 Favorite Fragrances:
    1) Creed Aventus
    2) Creed Millesime Imperiale
    3) Gucci Pour Homme II
    4) YSL M7
    5) Mont Blanc Individuel

The other day I had a realization that Bleu de Chanel reminds me a little bit of the old DKNY MEN in the skyscraper bottle.

I do not think they are very similar at all... maybe some people are picking up on the pink pepper in both? Violet leaf dominates Libre to me and while it is decent frag I'm not sure I would pay money for it.

The longevity of Libre did surprise me, when I first put it on I didn't think it was going to last long at all, but it lasted a good 2 hours with some projection then the next 2 hours were a good skin scent. I get varied longevity with Bleu, but in no way would ever tell any of my customers that Libre lasts longer than Bleu.

I looked at your wardrobe and if may be so bold to recommend you give CK One Shock a try. Fantastic longevity and projection and very, very economical! Some ppl are turned off by this one right out of the bottle, but the dry down is great! Not too heavy and I think a great frag for your age group and up. I just wore it to work today for the first time in a long time and one tiny little spray (like a half pump) literally projected a good 6 hours on me and 12 hours later now I can still sense it on my skin.

And welcome to Basenotes
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I don't think they're actually very similar they just seem it when tested on cards or when compared based on the opening. I think both are good and Libre is worth a shot after your current bottle of Bleu even if it's just to give you a bit of variety.

Dependent

To me there arent that similar but I would pick Bleu over Libre actually. Although I own both L'Homme and La Nuit, I dont think I would get this flanker. I've yet to try the new Frozen cologne though!
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Libre is horrible IMO, it smells like sugar water thats all. Bleu is much better , but compared with other Chanel fragrances is an epic fail, too generic and boring

Libre is horrible IMO, it smells like sugar water thats all. Bleu is much better , but compared with other Chanel fragrances is an epic fail, too generic and boring

Bleu is great. On my skin it actually works very well. Good projection/longevity.
    It may not be groundbreaking but it really is a nice scent.

Libre literally smells like nothing to me. As in it pretty much has no scent. Maybe some slightly sour spice but that's if I am looking for it. I have never had this happen before, my friend once dumped 5 sprays on and I still could not detect it on him. But people were recoiling in horror.
    I have even sprayed it on myself and nothing.
    Last edited by synthetic; 5th August 2012 at 12:15 AM.

They have some sort of similar vibe in the beginning, but Bleu de Chanel is a more complex fragrance and it's drydown is better, imo. L'Homme Libre is in line with other modern/casual type releases: citruses&violet over a slight sweet synthetic musky base. I'm sure there are better options out there...
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

I find Libre more citrus based. Its not fantastic but better than the original Lhomme

I do not get any similarity between the two, but both have good longevity, with Bleu being slightly more competitive and successful in the longevity department.

Blog Entries

I don't find any similarity between Libre and BDC. To me, the original L'Homme is better than all its flankers.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Purchase a sampler bottle of L'Homme Libre. Try it for a week or so and see what id does for you. No one can really tell you which one of the two would be best for your skin type. Perhaps you should listen to Steeleropera and purchase a sample bottle of CK One Shock. You'll end up enjoying that one more than the other two, and save money while you're at it. Sample, Sample, Sample.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
    Libre literally smells like nothing to me. As in it pretty much has no scent. Maybe some slightly sour spice but that's if I am looking for it. I have never had this happen before, my friend once dumped 5 sprays on and I still could not detect it on him. But people were recoiling in horror.
    I have even sprayed it on myself and nothing.
    Yes - it did that to me, too. The very first time I smelled a sample on paper, it was interesting and herbal, but very light. After that - nothing. Just like you say. I was really shocked, and even a bit pissed. So I got a big sample from Sephora and went pretty nutso with it. A couple of times. That always does the trick. After that, I could smell it easily.

At this point, it smells to me like a style mixture of the original L'Homme with Guerlain Homme. I really think the green side is well done.

But the idea that I had to train my nose to actually smell something with a powerful odor? It seems wrong.

Often times, I can see the comparison when someone says "Product X reminds me of Product Y". But with this one, I get no such comparison. At all.

To me, they are TOTALLY different. For starters, I like Bleu de Chanel, while I have a tough time keeping my nose up to YSL L'Homme Libre for much longer than two seconds before I start to make the wrinkle face. Honestly, Libre is one of those scents that I have a tendency to reply "Really???" when someone says that they like it. If they do...good for them, but it's not for me. And I don't see the comparison between these two at all.

While I agree L'Homme Libre has better longevity than Bleu de Chanel, I don't find them similar.

L'Homme Libre reminds me a bit of suede, while Bleu de Chanel smells of oranges and sweat.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I think Bleu is closer to the original L'homme.
    But L'homme is not really my thing. Goes soggy and damp on my skin and doesn't retain the freshness that Bleu has.
    Last edited by synthetic; 6th August 2012 at 11:31 AM.