Code of Conduct

Default Fresh thoughts on Creed Spice and Wood

Sampled this recently. It's not bad, but it hasn't really wow'ed me nor does it seem like a fragrance that should be sold at that price range. It's very earthy and reminds me of Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir. I also get a sour vibe.

What's your take on Creed Spice and Wood?

Default Re: Fresh thoughts on Creed Spice and Wood

Although it's not my favorite offering of the house, I still like it and count it among my collection of Creeds.

Banned

Spice and Wood by Creed - Upon application, one is treated to a sparkling citrus, supplied by the zesty bergamot and tangy lemon, floating on a faint woodiness, and interspersed with a dry, tart apple. This refreshing opening tumbles to the waiting middle where light spices are infused, namely, peppery mace, sweet nutmeg, and an airy and pert clove, and interplay with a silty and woody angelic root, which imparts its own juniper-like, peppery flavor keeping the spices in check. The pirouetting apple takes on a more spicy jacket. Moreover, the shy white birch of the opening casts off its inhibitions and underlays the heart with its dry, firewood vibe. Transitioning to its pleasing base, rich and pungent cedar couples with the earthy egyptian iris, which along with the mossy and sensual oakmoss and musk gives a petroleum-like shimmer to its crisp woodiness. This impeccable composition is a pleasant and refined journey, but lacks any real pizzazz. Regrettably, the projection flees after the first hour and the longevity is rather stunted as well.

Quite a nice description ^^. I enjoy having Creed Spice and Wood in the rotation. It is a refined lower key fragrance that I like when I'm in the mood for something not overpowering. It is an excellent work fragrance. I apply this one liberally and get an entire workday out of it--naturally it fades after several hours, but I still catch whiffs of it. I love the built in flacon atomizer.

Martin

Basenotes Plus

I found it to be very disappointing given the price point. It is a decent enough scent, but has exceptionally anemic projection and unacceptably poor longevity: two hours max.

Nah its triple that easily.

There is to my hooter a very evident difference between the first release in 2010 and whats been available throughout 2011, The 2010 is very dry and ackrid and had a tendency to have that 'edge' that'll be on the verge of giving me a headache.

The 2011 stuff from the bottle I split recently is totally glorious and addicitve, Has an excellent apple note up top together with the cedar gives a faux Cider impression and everything feels a tad sweeter and more fleshed out in terms of progression through the mid to basenotes. I'd certainly recommend trying this one.

I tested this a while ago - both on skin and card. I found it to be akin to the other recent creeds - I tested it alongside royal oud and the two share much and were clearly designed by the same nose - also they put me in mind of others like sublime vanille. The style is heavily controlled, restrained and subtly blended in a way that creeds never used to be. The charm of creeds (and I have many and have long spoken well of this house as people who have been around here for a while will know) for me always used to be the high quality ingredients featuring good naturals (despite some assertions to the contrary) thrown together in a rough-shod way (acier aluminium) or sometimes built on very well worn classic formula- book recipes but well made from great ingredients (rsl, citrus bigerade). Like great Italian cooking rather than french. These new ones are completely different. They heavily feature new and expensive synthetics. The bases are strongly extended by woody pre mix base accords which frankly smell generic deep into the drydown. It was interesting that royal oud and wood & spice smelled almost identical and strong after a month on paper.

The style has changed utterly. The new ones are distinct (and have an absurd price point) which gives the house an identity but for me lack the naive charm of my favourites.

Now I think about it, this house has three distinct periods. Pre GIT, millesime, recent.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Sampled this recently. It's not bad, but it hasn't really wow'ed me nor does it seem like a fragrance that should be sold at that price range. It's very earthy and reminds me of Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir. I also get a sour vibe.

It didn't wow me either. I find it to be quite mediocre.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It didn't wow me either. I find it to be quite mediocre.
    That. And way overpiced.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I just wore this one again a few weeks ago. I agree with most of what has been said - S&W is very nice, but awfully mediocre, and definitely not worth its price. I felt the same way about Sublime Vanille. Guess you have to be a hardcore Creed fan to want either of them, but S&W especially. Also, it reminds me of Aventus, another frag I'm not on board with.

I like this one a lot and when I win the lottery I'll be able to justify spending £135 on 30ml.

I like this one and I'm working through a generous sample. Somewhere midway through, a generic synthetic overtone rears it's head but thankfully goes away. Its longevity I fell is due to the overuse of synthetics and it's woody base. It is pleasant and beautiful; can be quite fun to wear but for its price point I fear there are far better scents out there. I have developsed a headache while wearing this one a couple times and I'm not sure if it was coincidental or due to a cloying synthetic. So, I am still testing and on the fence about this one but I want to love it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Nah its triple that easily.

There is to my hooter a very evident difference between the first release in 2010 and whats been available throughout 2011, The 2010 is very dry and ackrid and had a tendency to have that 'edge' that'll be on the verge of giving me a headache.

The 2011 stuff from the bottle I split recently is totally glorious and addicitve, Has an excellent apple note up top together with the cedar gives a faux Cider impression and everything feels a tad sweeter and more fleshed out in terms of progression through the mid to basenotes. I'd certainly recommend trying this one.

I wish I'd known this before getting the original batch... I agree, I like the stuff I have, but it can give you a headache if you apply too much.

I got a sample of this when I bought Aventus a few months ago, and it didn't impress me when I sniffed it, but when I actually dabbed some on and went to work, I found it quite good. It really blossomed into something big and spicy when I wore it. Lots of pepper with some subtle, but sublime fruit notes. I got compliments and people really noticed it. I wasn't expecting it to turn into something so nice over a full wearing. However the price is a no-can-do for me, and I'm not a big fan of the bottle that it comes in either. If this one were one of the "greycaps", it could have been a hit.

It's one I wear to the office on a regular basis. Pleasant without much projection but with good (i.e., day-long) longevity. I especially like the apple note which in my batch is prominent throughout.

It's beautiful fragrance with amazing top and middle notes, I get that beautiful apple note mixed with woods but I also think the musk they used in the base is the synthetic note that's giving some of you headaches.

I also found it to be average for a Creed scent. The apple note was nice but nothing to rave about imo.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post

Its my new favorite. I saw a thread recently where more than a few people complained that they got either spice nor wood. I don't understand. There is a strong cedar. I was very dissapointed they did not offer it in the four ounce bottle. However, I went ahead and bought the bigger bottle. My new favorite.