Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Declaration

How does it smell like?

Opinions?

Yay or nay?

Default Re: Cartier Declaration

I like it and own a bottle so I vote yea.

Also vote yea.

It's disgusting to me. Smells like body odor. Heavily recommend that you try before buying.

Oh a big YES. Its a fresh woody scent a bit like a cologne, with citrus and vetiver. I don't own it but have played with it. I read here that it was intended for a "man in love". I think it does : )

haha I heard that. I am not one to shy away from stinkers tho.

Also is it like the precursor of terre d'hermes?

Coz I've owned that and I must say I loved only the very first spray and became anosmic to Iso super e.

Hoping this is the non iso super e version..

I was anosmic to this the first time I tried it. Then, it began to open up for me. I don't get any BO, although it has its own particular intensity. However, I am concerned that regular use might lead to fatigue. I think it is an interesting scent, but maybe not quite right for me.

I sprayed my sample on skin just for you . Declaration is hard to describe because it is very complex - Peppery sweet lemon (or mandarines) + vetiver + woods and some flowers is probably best I can do lol.

Closest thing to it is Terre d'Hermes, but Declaration dont have that mineral note, is less woody and more fruity/green than TDH and more complex too. I like it because its unique and fits my style. I dont get any body odour here, just sophisticated fresh, fruity but also green, bit spicy, woody and light (not in terms of sillage but in terms of overall impression) fragrance.

When I wore it around my girlfriend last summer, she liked it very much.

IMO its one of best summer fragrances that I smelled so far.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

It blends perfectly in as one of Mr. Ellenas greatest masterpieces. Totaly unique and original.

In my opinion, a smooth, suave, unobtrusive gourmand

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by UNCAlumni2009 View Post
    It's disgusting to me. Smells like body odor. Heavily recommend that you try before buying.
    Agree. It smells like crayola crayons mixed with BO. I am not a fan at all.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I gave it a couple of chances then put my bottle on my sales and swap lists. Too much iso e super, I think, and not enough of anything else beyond the top notes. I prefer the dollar store version of Paco Rabanne to this, actually.

I like this one even more than the Essence.
    I have a bottle and reach for it quite often.

I would say that it's somewhere between
    Terre d'Hermes and Eau d'Hermes.

At the moment this is my favorite Ellena creation
    and apparently he was quite proud of it himself,
    together with the Bvlgari (au thé vert).

http://www.parfumeur-createur.com/ar...?id_article=22

It's very good. Although the infamous cumin BO note is obvious I do not find it dominates the fragrance. I would also highly recommend the L'essence flanker.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    I like this one even more than the Essence.
    I have a bottle and reach for it quite often.

I would say that it's somewhere between
    Terre d'Hermes and Eau d'Hermes.
    Yes I agree with your assessment. I too prefer the original to the Essence - marginally. 'Understated elegance' is what I get from this, but it is certainly a polariser/try before you buy scent.

Classic and best.

I really dislike it. Too strong and not in a pleasant way.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCAlumni2009 View Post
    I agree with this. I have a sample I have tried a few times to verify how bad it is.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Wow, so polarizing. I tried this for the first time recently and did not find the cumin note to resemble BO at all. It blends seamlessly with the skin. it is a very elegant mandarin-woodsy veil on the skin, i.e. not opaque or heavy at all. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I grew to dislike it. When I first got into this hobby Declaration was one that I was enamored with because of the woods. However within a few wearings the cumin note became really prevalent on my skin. This is definitely one you need to sample on skin. On a card you will get woods with the cumin making itself known in tiny doses. It exploded on my skin.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

One of my favorite fragrances ever. From Amouage to vintage Guerlain to contemporary niche to hidden designer gems......Declaration stands among the best in my book. A great choice for summer.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    One of my favorite fragrances ever. From Amouage to vintage Guerlain to contemporary niche to hidden designer gems......Declaration stands among the best in my book. A great choice for summer.
    Agreed! A total classic. The cumin burns off on me within 5mins and I'm left with glorious fresh woods.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

A great frag but this one is definetely try before you buy.

The L'Essence de Déclaration version is one of my all time favourites: I wore it for a decade...a masterpiece!

Banned

Declaration is pretty darned awesome. And so are all associated flankers. The one I am least partial to is Essence: guess it really is too much of a good thing. I'm partial to all of Cartier's fragrances, minus Roadster, so I whole-heartedly endorse Declaration.

This is a Must Have IMO.......one of the best scents by Jean claude Ellena

Basenotes Junkie

I got that distinct body-odor smell from Declaration while I sampled, and so did everyone around me. Could be just my skin chemistry, but it was a definitely turn-off for me (and again, people around me). Hehe.

Try as you might.

I'm wearing it right now. I find it delightful, though the first time I tried it (on a test strip) I didn't care for it. Light, tart, soft woods, just the right amount of sweetness. I get only a touch of cumin. A nice summer evening scent.

Big differences of opinion on this one but the polarizing scents are often the ones I like best.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 14th April 2012 at 11:33 PM.

I've tried it on paper and it's not bad, but I wouldn't buy a bottle. I don't really get the similarities people mention to TdH, which is one of my all time favorites.

A Fantastic Fragrance!!!
    Gary

+1 as a fragrance I can respect.. however for wearability I prefer the essense

and as far as predecessors go, the follow up may in part have been Terre, but I think you'll find more similarity to Bigarade in Malle's lineup (orange and cardamom instead of lemon and cumin)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I like it very much, but the cumin/cardamom note is not for everyone.

i dont know which one it was either the original or a flanker, but i remember one resembling TDH which was pretty good, and one that reminded me heavily of body odor XD

I was looking for a thick, rich, dusty cumin, but I didn't get that here.

I get CARDAMOM instead of any cumin at all, lasting for around an hour, and then it gets kind of sweet but quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I was looking for a thick, rich, dusty cumin, but I didn't get that here.
    You could try Pasha (caraway) from Cartier too.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I have this one and I really like is stays with all day

recommended it

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Agreed! A total classic. The cumin burns off on me within 5mins and I'm left with glorious fresh woods.
    I still covey my original sentiments
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I still covey my original sentiments

yea I think is the cumin that feels so good when I put it on me

Very spicy, a subtly floral and with a great amont of cumin.

For me it's a great scent.
    I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like cardamom and cumin though.

A definite yeah for me. If you want less cumin, more cardamon, and a hint of tea, also look into Yang.

It's a nice scent: woody, dry, somewhat bitter, spices and lemon as well. I have always liked it. Definitely yay.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I love cardamom and I love cumin, so a big YEAH

- - - Updated - - -

I love cardamom and I love cumin, so a big YEAH

I never got cumin from Declaration. I think most folks are confusing cardamom for cumin. I've worn this once or twice and now I'm sort of craving it -- definitely in the mood for some warm aromatic spices like cardamom and coriander. Might be time to invest in a small bottle.

A fresh spicy fragrance with bitter oranges and pepper with a good dose of cumin and a little cardamom is what I pick off the top. It's a very complex fragrance that takes you on quite a journey with different notes weaving in and out of the composition. A very good fragrance.

Thumbs up Re: Cartier Declaration

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

A great scent. I too would recommend the Essence for a deeper version. Given the polarizing nature though, I'd suggest sampling first. Having said that though, I didn't like it when I first tried it, but then it grew on me after a few wearings and now I wear it often. As others have mentioned, Declaration, TdH and Bigarade Concentree share similarities, so you might like one over the other if you want to enjoy the "theme".

A very respectable scent!
    Great for both gentlemen wearing formal and young guys as casual evening frag.
    I own one 100ml bottle and really LOVE it.
    I may mention ST Dupont Pour Homme as a SIMILAR alternative to it...
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Love it and own a bottle and always repurchase when I finish a bottle. This one is a staple for me. I never understood the smells like BO. I have never gotten that from it, and everyone that smells this one on me compliments me when I wear it. Different scents are different on everyone as we all know, but I just don't get the BO thing at all. I can think of a few scents that remind me of that, but this is not one of them to me. I'm glad this one wears well on me