Code of Conduct

Default CDG Hinoki or Artek Standard

Well, thanks to recently coming around to Gucci Pour Homme (2003), I'm back on a woods kick. The "pencil shavings" cedar note is finally working for me, and I'm craving more. I'm already a fan of a good handful of Comme des Garšons releases (Jaisalmer, Avignon, CdG 2 EDP, Kyoto), and now I've got my eye on maybe Scent One Hinoki or Artek Standard.

I realize both Hinoki (which I'm wearing from a sample right now) and Standard (which I've only smelled on paper) share a strong cedar note. But how do these compare in terms of sillage, longevity, and just general satisfaction? Also, given that I recently added Gucci Pour Homme to my collection, which of these two would overlap less with GpH?

(I have to admit, I also have my eye on Sequoia, but then, that's a different sort of wood altogether.)

Default Re: CDG Hinoki or Artek Standard

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Also, given that I recently added Gucci Pour Homme to my collection, which of these two would overlap less with GpH?
    IMO Hinoki.

Hinoki
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I'd go with Hinoki.

Odin 07 Tanoke also has a great woods note, and Serge Lutens Chene is a nice mix of booze and cedar.

Any actual detail, though, with regard to this question: But how do these compare in terms of sillage, longevity, and just general satisfaction?

I'm also interested in this answer, as I love Gucci pour Homme and only have a sample of the Artek.

I prefer Hinoki but like both and have owned both.

Luckyscent lists the notes and you can really see the differences by the various notes listed. They both are created around a dominant cedar type woods scent but the similarity ends there.

Artek Standard notes: Finnish Labrador Tea, Twinflower (Linnea Borealis), fennel, ginger, lemon, musk, saffron, cedarwood.

Hinoki notes: Cypress, turpentine, camphor, cedar, thyme, pine, Georgian wood, frankincense, moss and vetiver.

Artek is drier because of the tea, saffron, musk and fennel mixed with the predominant note of cedar. Hinoki has a greener smell that seems to absorb right into the cells and this comes from the mixing of camphor, frankincense and turpentine with the woods of: cypress, cedar, pine and a healthy dose of vetiver for added greenness. Hinoki is just greener and more penetrating. Artek is drier and wears on top of the skin whereas Hinoki is more absorbent.

They are both pretty good it's Hinoki in the lead by a nose.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 15th April 2012 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I prefer Hinoki but like both and have owned both.

Luckyscent lists the notes and you can really see the differences by the various notes listed. They both are created around a dominant cedar type woods scent but the similarity ends there.

Artek Standard notes: Finnish Labrador Tea, Twinflower (Linnea Borealis), fennel, ginger, lemon, musk, saffron, cedarwood.

Hinoki notes: Cypress, turpentine, camphor, cedar, thyme, pine, Georgian wood, frankincense, moss and vetiver.

Artek is drier because of the tea, saffron, musk and fennel mixed with the predominant note of cedar. Hinoki has a greener smeller that seems to absorb right into the cells and this comes from the mixing of camphor, frankincense and turpentine with the woods of: cypress, cedar, pine and a healthy dose of vetiver for added greenness. Hinoki is just greener and more penetrating. Artek is drier and wears on top of the skin whereas Hinoki is more absorbent.

They are both pretty good it's Hinoki in the lead by a nose.
    Well said, friend!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I stopped into Barney's a few hours ago and sprayed on some Standard. I'm enjoying it. I do think it resembles Hinoki in its evocation of cedar, but trades the damp, dank, sauna quality for a lemony, somewhat metallic overtone. Curious to see how well it lasts, but at the moment I'm favoring it to Hinoki, as I'm not sure about the dank quality of the latter.