Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New here, looking for a sophisticated but not overpowering college scent

Hi, I'm new here so please excuse me for the verbosity; I'm just trying to give out as many details as possible!

I'm a college student (age 21) looking for a nice sophisticated but not overpowering fragrance. My intended use is for the evenings, during special occasions and weekend parties (by parties I don't mean trashy fraternity/sorority parties). I don't want to come across as a cheap frat boy wearing some excessively strong, generic axe/aqua di gio equivalent.

Yes, I'll admit--I do intend on utilizing fragrance as an "aid" of sorts in getting intimate with females. Hence, I'd like something relatively seductive but by no means over the top and exceedingly bold. I don't want to come across as a pompous jerk. I don't want ladies going "OOOH YOU SMELL AMAZING" by simply walking by me; I'm looking more for something where the girl hugs me or links my arm and comments "oh, by the way, you smell nice."

I know I'm already asking for a lot, but I'm also looking for a fragrance that's on the unique side. Well, not SO unique that I'll have to order from some strange retailer in the middle of nowhere. (It'd be nice to be able to sample it first). I just don't want to smell like every other acqua di gio/coolwater dude that makes the ladies shake their heads at the cliched-ness.

I'm also under the impression that what I'm looking for will be somewhat in the middle ground between musky and fruity. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that heavily musky is geared more towards older gentlemen, whereas fruity/citrusy stuff is for the younger teen crowd. Like I said before, I want to smell somewhat sophisticated but not to the point where I smell like grandpa.

I currently use Issey Miyake's L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme but I'm beginning to smell on other people, and once again I hate smelling like every other guy. Perhaps I'm overreacting? Also, would you recommend finding a nice signature scent for the daytime, or should I just stick to the Old Spice Fiji deodorant that I use normally?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read!

Default Re: New here, looking for a sophisticated but not overpowering college scent

Try to avoid heavy gourmands in the daytime, but also anything advertised as a best-seller. You don't want to smell like everyone else. Yes, Acqua di Gio is a cliche. Every other twenty-something male wears this.

What about Dior Homme or Dior Fahrenheit? Bleu de Chanel?

Welcome, Try.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Default Re: New here, looking for a sophisticated but not overpowering college scent

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Try to avoid heavy gourmands in the daytime, but also anything advertised as a best-seller. You don't want to smell like everyone else. Yes, Acqua di Gio is a cliche. Every other twenty-something male wears this.

Welcome, Try.
    ahh, beaten to the punch! I 2nd Dior Homme

I'd go with Creed Millesime Imperial. It's light, classy, and sophisticated, but can also be casual. It's a light scent - 4 sprays lasts me 6 hours. It's not shouty, no one will be offended or choked out by a huge cloud. To me, that's your bottle.

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I will definitely give Dior Homme, Farenheit, Bleu de Chanel, and Millesime Imperial a shot.

By the way... I've been perusing the boards...and... what the hell is up with the Creed Aventus obsession?? Is this some kind of running gag/inside joke? I've never even heard of it, and when I looked it up... Holy ****! $200+ a bottle? Granted, I'm a newbie to the whole fragrance game, but...wow.

...But besides all that, should I try it? Or do you think Aventus is geared more toward an older 30+ crowd?

+1 on Dior Homme...actually any of the male Diors will do (the whole Dior Homme line I cannot recommend enough)

Creed Aventus is just a really great smelling, somewhat polarizing fragrance. It is really pleasant and people (especially the opposite sex) seem to like it a lot. It's expensive, but frankly I cannot think of another fresh (spring, summer scent) that I rate so highly. Aventus is good for all age ranges. Sample first though just so you can gauge how much you like it.

Creeds may be out of reach of a college student's budget. You have financial aid to consider.

Perhaps Spicebomb? This might be too popular by now as its flying off the shelves at Nordstrom.

Think outside the box on fragrance. Do you really want to smell like every other young man?

The only advice is to sample and wear what you like. Put preconceptions out of your mind. Don't think "old man" or "too feminine." A confident man--young or old--wears what pleases himself.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Welcome, Try.
    BTW, are you referring to the 2005 original "Dior Homme" or the 2007 "Dior Homme Cologne" ? Thanks.

Perhaps Spicebomb? This might be too popular by now as its flying off the shelves at Nordstrom.
    Funny, I have my brother's Nordstrom magazine in front of me right now and I'm actually smelling a sample pf Spicebomb as I type..

It seems that many folks like it. My initial thought was "man, it really lives up to its name" (extremely spicy, maybe a little too much so). My current thoughts are pretty mixed..
    Last edited by Try; 15th April 2012 at 03:58 AM.

You're a college guy looking for a crowd-pleaser while on a budget. Basenotes is an excellent resource for a lot of things, but there is a bit of an elitist vibe here, and a lot of fragrances that would make great fits for people like yourself either never get mentioned or get bashed for being "cheap", "boring", "too common" and a host of other complaints that don't apply to the other 99% of people who have maybe 3 fragrances total and rarely give fragrance a second thought. So realistically, a few that fit the bill (and hopefully your budget- I've omitted Creed frags because while many are nice, most are not college-budget-friendly):

- YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    - Bleu de Chanel
    - Dolce and Gabbana By Dolce and Gabbana
    - Armani Code
    - Bulgari Black
    - Rochas Man
    - Gucci Pour Homme II
    - Terre D'Hermes

These are all (relatively) affordable, work well for a guy your age, and play well to your target audience. Remember, you're trying to impress a 20-year old chick with a passing interest in fragrance, not the dude on Basenotes who owns every vintage Guerlain ever made. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Baldini; 15th April 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    I'd go with Creed Millesime Imperial. It's light, classy, and sophisticated, but can also be casual. It's a light scent - 4 sprays lasts me 6 hours. It's not shouty, no one will be offended or choked out by a huge cloud. To me, that's your bottle.
    +1

Also, Aventus is really nice but it gets boring if you wear it too often (IMO). So, you might want to rotate it with something else .

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    You're a college guy looking for a crowd-pleaser while on a budget. Basenotes is an excellent resource for a lot of things, but there is a bit of an elitist vibe here, and a lot of fragrances that would make great fits for people like yourself either never get mentioned or get bashed for being "cheap", "boring", "too common" and a host of other complaints that don't apply to the other 99% of people who have maybe 3 fragrances total and rarely give fragrance a second thought. So realistically, a few that fit the bill (and hopefully your budget- I've omitted Creed frags because while many are nice, most are not college-budget-friendly):

- YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    - Bleu de Chanel
    - Dolce and Gabbana Man
    - Armani Code
    - Bulgari Black
    - Rochas Man
    - Gucci Pour Homme II
    - Terre D'Hermes

These are all (relatively) affordable, work well for a guy your age, and play well to your target audience. Remember, you're trying to impress a 20-year old chick with a passing interest in fragrance, not the dude on Basenotes who owns every vintage Guerlain ever made. Best of luck!
    Haha, your post is both hilarious and insightful. I'm glad you spoke; it does seem like many folks here will pull out some extremely far-fetched recommendation when trying to meet one's criteria while bashing/criticizing the generic nature of some other suggestion(s).

Indeed, words from one with too much knowledge may end up only screwing me over

Off-Scenter

You might want to try Devin or Tuscany Uomo, both of which should be relatively easy to come by. Other high quality, wearable, and readily obtainable suggestions in various styles for sampling: L'Anarchiste, Habit Rouge, Monsieur Balmain, Jazz, and Monsieur de Givenchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Try View Post
    BTW, are you referring to the 2005 original "Dior Homme" or the 2007 "Dior Homme Cologne" ? Thanks.

Funny, I have my brother's Nordstrom magazine in front of me right now and I'm actually smelling a sample pf Spicebomb as I type..

It seems that many folks like it. My initial thought was "man, it really lives up to its name" (extremely spicy, maybe a little too much so). My current thoughts are pretty mixed..
    I am recommending you try the Dior Homme EDT.

Spicebomb starts spicy but dries down to an excellent tobacco. Give it some time, or better, try a spray in the store. Give it some time for the alcohol to evaporate and don't buy on the first spray.

Spicebomb was released only two months ago, and it's already a popular seller.

Again, sample and buy what you like, and not what you think is popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post

- YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    - Bleu de Chanel
    - Dolce and Gabbana By Dolce and Gabbana
    - Armani Code
    - Bulgari Black
    - Rochas Man
    - Gucci Pour Homme II
    - Terre D'Hermes

I would not go on to say BN is elitist.

We are simply more into fragrance that most people. That is not elitist. What do you expect from a site that discusses fragrance?

That is like calling a wine connoisseur an elitist just because he has enjoyed a bottle of $600 Chateau de Margaux.

Face it, most endeavours have connoisseurs. Even people who have hundreds of watches from an $80 Casio 200m diving watch to a Vacheron Constantin or Breguet.

Don't call us elitist.

That said, I would also recommend Givenchy Play (the original) and Dolce and Gabbana The One Gentleman. These are both easy to find and are under $100. The 100ml of Spicebomb retails for $95.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th April 2012 at 04:32 AM.

Burberry London or Carbone de Balmain might work.

Banned
    Blog Entries

That is like calling a wine connoisseur an elitist just because he has enjoyed a bottle of $600 Chateau de Margaux.

Don't call us elitist.
    And who, pray tell, would be able to afford a $600 bottle of anything . . . other than the fiscally irresponsible, or the fiscally elite?

Primrose that sentence of yours alone smacks of elitism. Not saying you're an elitist, but when one starts comparing perfume appreciation to high-end bottles of wine, it seems to be dangerous territory.

To the OP: Go to a department store and sample everything. Trust your nose only. Eventually you'll find something you like. I'd try Chanels, they have excellent longevity and sillage, and many bases are covered in their lineup.

Dior Homme is a safe choice. But from your writing I gather you have enough sophistication -for a 21 yo- to pull off more eccentric scents too. Don't settle for safe.
    My suggestion: 'waste' a bit of money buying samples, or better yet, make a couple of trips to higher end stores (e.g. Barney's) if you live close to a city, and give yourself some time before you decide on any one fragrance; taste is acquired.

I would not go on to say BN is elitist.

We are simply more into fragrance that most people. That is not elitist. What do you expect from a site that discusses fragrance?

Face it, most endeavours have connoisseurs. Even people who have hundreds of watches from an $80 Casio 200m diving watch to a Vacheron Constantin or Breguet.

Don't call us elitist.
    BN as a whole is not elitist. You're putting words in my mouth (I said "a bit of an elitist vibe" for the record). But there are certainly elements of elitism whether you want to admit it or not, and this snobbery is off-putting to those newer to the world of fragrance as well as those of us who happen to like certain Coty or Claiborne frags. When I say 'elitist', I mean it in the way that some BNers are quick to dismiss or bash something simply because it's from a certain house or has a key word in the name. Don't believe me? Check any topic alerting of a new fragrance with the word "Sport" in the name. Multiple posts with people thumbing their noses without having ever even experiencing it, based on the name alone. Maybe there's a better term for this type of attitude- feel free to correct me.

Off-Scenter

Nice work guys. A new member posts a request for recommendations, and it's what, ten or twelve responses before we start name-calling and backbiting? I guess I needed a reminder as to why I so rarely post...

How about we try to keep it civil? Or should we just keep it up and see how long it takes to get this thread locked?
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 15th April 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    Nice work guys. A new member posts a request for recommendations, and it's what, ten or twelve responses before we start name-calling and backbiting? I guess I needed a reminder as to why I so rarely post...

How about we try to keep it civil? Or should we just keep it up and see how long it takes to get this thread locked?
    This is what I was talking about. I've had an overwhelmingly positive experience with fellow BNers, so hopefully the positivity and help to others outweighs any negativity and people like the OP get good answers and recommendations from like-minded folks.

Rochas Lui and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme

You might want to try Bulgari Pour Homme Soir. I'm in a similar demographic as you and I've never smelled it on anyone on campus. It doesn't project too much and is said to be well liked by the ladies. Can't hurt to try it out p.s. or Geir Ness, that's actually a better fragrance and it's really uncommon.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Rochas Lui and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
    Two very good ideas. I haven't seen Rochas Lui around much lately, but I remember it being distinctive, yet very comfortable - at least once the cacophonous top notes sort themselves out...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Burberry London
    +1 Burberry London
    +1 Gucci PH II
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    Currently wearing: Chrome Sport by Azzaro

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! That's 3 tally marks for Dior Homme, so that's currently leading my list.

I'm still really tempted to try the Creeds at the department store, although I know for certain I wouldn't be able to afford them. Hopefully I won't get hooked (and subsequently screwed into buying)!

Bulgari Pour Homme Soir seems to have great reviews all over the web. I sure hope Macy's/Nordstrom has it available for sampling.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! That's 3 tally marks for Dior Homme, so that's currently leading my list.

I'm still really tempted to try the Creeds at the department store, although I know for certain I wouldn't be able to afford them. Hopefully I won't get hooked (and subsequently screwed into buying)!

Bulgari Pour Homme Soir seems to have great reviews all over the web. I sure hope Macy's/Nordstrom has it available for sampling.
    Buy some decants from the splits section!

So much cheaper than the actual bottles

Quote Originally Posted by Wazoos View Post
    Buy some decants from the splits section!

So much cheaper than the actual bottles
    Excuse my ignorance, but I'm guessing this means purchasing mini-vials from other folks on this board?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm guessing this means purchasing mini-vials from other folks on this board?
    There are professional vendors who sell "decants" in smaller sizes, such as 4 mls or smaller.

These are places like The Perfumed Court. Some vendors who sell pricier, harder-to-find scents do sell samples, such as Lucky Scent or Aedes de Venusta.

You can, as mentioned, also split bottles with other members.

They are many ways to sample and try.
    Last edited by Primrose; 15th April 2012 at 06:35 AM.

Bulgari Pour Homme Soir is good!!

You can purchase fragrances in various sizes from http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board this section of the forums. They buy flacons or the largest size available, which are cheaper ml for ml than other sizes, and decant them. This makes otherwise ridiculously priced fragrances more bearable (Aventus).

Banned

try:

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein - One is initially treated to a mildly fresh accord. Clementine, with its sweet orangey and faint floral facets, lavender with its clean, herbal character, as well as cumcumber, with its medicinal, sea-like aspect, all commingle in a brisk concoction. A cloud of something, perhaps aldehydes or the cryptic, energy drink accent, imparts an effervescence to the invigorating blend. Transitioning to the heart, a field day with herbs is had. Leafy, black basil, with its licorice accent, vivacious and woody black pepper as well as mildly spicy and sweet cardamom encase the opening. A nascent tobacco serves as a backdrop to the herbal jubilation. Segueing to the base, the rich and spicy tabacco has come into full bloom, while an earthy mustiness of patchouli flitters about. A pleasant ambrene wood infuses its laurel-like, sweet and spicy, woody overtures. And, a casheran musk imparts its velvety, somewhat floral bouquet. An enjoyable drydown ensues. This versatile composition is an all-season scent with average projection and average longevity, 6-8 hours. Its favorable price point makes this fragrance even more welcomed.

&

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.