Code of Conduct

Thread: Suggestions !!!

Default Suggestions !!!

Hi BNers,

I am 24yrs old and have a*men, terre d hermes, 1 million, leau d issey ph and boss bottled.

I am looking for frags with good sillage and longevity. Here are the ones I am looking at:

1. Chanel Egoiste or Platinum Egoiste
    2. YSL La Nuit De L'homme
    3. YSL M7
    4. Xeyrus Rouge.
    5. Versace Dreamer
    6. Dior Homme Intense
    7. Aramis Havana or VC&A ph ( Not sure if I can pull these off at this age )

I would like u guys to suggest me the next frag from the above mentioned options in terms of :
    a. Uniqueness
    b. Sillage
    c. Longevity

Thanks

Default Re: Suggestions !!!

Chanel Egoiste

X2 Egoiste. Its probably the best one on your list with Xeryus rouge being second.

Of the one's listed, I only have real experience with one-Xeryus Rouge and for me it's a winner. It's quite unique due to the cactus and peppers, but I think it's well balanced and awesome. It is spicy and definitely a warmer frag. It's got some awesome sillage and longevity if sprayed directly...for me, it's a bit much for a direct spray, I spray it from arms length and it tones it down. It can be a powerhouse if sprayed too much that's for sure.

My suggestions in your list are Egoiste (regular) and then M7. Egoiste is a smooth sandalwood, good for all occasions. M7 is darker and somewhat more unique. Both have very good sillage and longevity.

cacio

Chanel Egoiste and YSL M7 are the best ones on your list. If you have possibility, try to sample or get YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP. It is same kind fragrance like La Nuit De L'homme, but smoother, richer, better and much more unique and interesting scent. Good luck!
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Egoiste easily

Chanel Egoiste, M7, Versace Dreamer, Dior Homme Intense and VC&A ph all excel in meeting, fulfilling all three requirements

YSL M7
    Dreamer
    Egoiste

I think Dior Homme Intense stands out in terms of your criteria. The only thing that smells like it is Dior Homme!

Banned

The Dreamer by Versace or Egoiste by Chanel

Egoiste - M7 - VC&A ph are all good.

for swap/sale:

Guys i tried The Dreamer and just didnt like it...

Dior homme intense was very good but i still have half a bottle of A*men remaining... Dont need another scent with cocoa as of now...

What do you guys suggest from the YSL house - M7 or Opium ph or La Nuit EDP/EDT?

I think you would enjoy YSL M7.

For me Havana is the nicest and most unique fragrance from your list. It is fresh and it spreads a very present tobacco(the green plant)note. Great sillage and longevity. Attention: it is easily oversprayed!

I checked out the reviews of Havana it seems to be great... My only question - Is it for the mature crowd?? I am 24...

The Dreamer
    M7
    DHI
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by A*MenIsTheBest View Post
    I checked out the reviews of Havana it seems to be great... My only question - Is it for the mature crowd?? I am 24...
    ...you should try it first: it is obviously not for everybody...!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    The Dreamer
    M7
    DHI
    OP said 4 posts above you that he doesn't like The Dreamer, and DHI was very good but will skip it considering he still has A*Men.

---

@OP, My vote goes to YSL M7, since you're looking at YSL house. It is long-lasting, unique, and will project well. If you can find a tester, try Egoiste (not platinum) and Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy. I haven't tried Havana so no comment on it yet.

I have tried and loved M7... but i still need to test Opium PH EDP as a fellow basenoter suggested....

the longevity of XR seems a bit strange... i tried it a couple of times... sometimes it lasts a lot and sometimes it goes undetectable after an hour...

Will check out on Aramis Havana and Egoiste...

Also, no one here talks about Platinum Egoiste.... is it not good enough???

well...take a look at my username! That's the perfect one, in terms of everything!
    But VC&Aph and Havana can be difficult to wear so give those 2 a few tries first!
    Ok, leaving VC&Aph, Havana, The Dreamer and DHI aside, my advice would be Xeryus Rouge but if you consider one from YSL then I'd say M7
    Last edited by VC&Aph; 1st April 2012 at 02:01 PM.

Dior homme intense was very good but i still have half a bottle of A*men remaining... Dont need another scent with cocoa as of now...
    Using that logic you shouldn't own both PR 1Million and Terre d'Hermes because they both contain a grapefruit note right? My point is that DHI smells nothing like A*men and it fits your criteria the best IMO.

And Platinum Egoiste is nice enough and may be more appealing to people your age, but it's not nearly as good as regular Egoiste.

...oh, and about Xeryus Rouge: it opens beautifully, but after two minutes all that remains is a mediocre, 13-in-a-dozen, I've smelled it all before smell...missed chance: I sold mine!

Xeryus Rouge
    M7

By your age and collection I would say you enjoy compliments/want to impress the ladies when you go out so my vote goes towards La Nuit

I'd second Xeryus Rouge and Versace Dreamer.
    Will add YSL Body Kouros, Annayaké Pour Lui (if you can find it) and Uomo? Moschino. Consider at least sampling them once.

Regards, Odor.

I am going to suggest Platinum Egoiste.

It has above average projection and longevity. It is versatile and brings that Chanel quality to the table.

It is not very unique for its category but nonetheless, it is a bright, floral, sorta soapy, kind of fragrance.

Worth sampling for sure

I tried Egoiste and Egoiste platinum.... but personally i like M7 and Xeryus Rouge more...

Is there any fragrance which can replace Leau D issey pour homme... i like that and want something for summers which smells fresh and has good sillage with longevity like leau d issey???

Also, hows Opium ph EDP compared to M7??? I cant find the testers for Opium Ph EDP

While testing i came across the Essenza Di Wills edts... Has any one here tried Mikkel and Aqua versions???

Be aware that many basenoters don't care how old you are because they have a conviction that you should not use fragrance to please others but to please yourself. In addition, tastes tend to classic/retro fragrances (many even despise mainstream tastes for having "destroyed" the art of perfumery). So, when you ask for advice on this board, you will often get suggestions for fragrances that are more mature, or even have a dated/daddy/granddaddy vibe, to most people.

Because of this, my advice is to try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    Be aware that many basenoters don't care how old you are because they have a conviction that you should not use fragrance to please others but to please yourself. In addition, tastes tend to classic/retro fragrances (many even despise mainstream tastes for having "destroyed" the art of perfumery). So, when you ask for advice on this board, you will often get suggestions for fragrances that are more mature, or even have a dated/daddy/granddaddy vibe, to most people.
    By all means, come in and take a chip off your shoulder.

Taking reformulations into account, I'd go with Egoiste and Havana from your list.

Hi BNers,

I am 24yrs old and have a*men, terre d hermes, 1 million, leau d issey ph and boss bottled.

I am looking for frags with good sillage and longevity. Here are the ones I am looking at:

1. Chanel Egoiste or Platinum Egoiste
    3. YSL M7
    4. Xeyrus Rouge.
    5. Versace Dreamer
    6. Dior Homme Intense
    7. Aramis Havana or VC&A ph ( Not sure if I can pull these off at this age )

I would like u guys to suggest me the next frag from the above mentioned options in terms of :
    a. Uniqueness
    b. Sillage
    c. Longevity

Thanks
    When I was your age, I wore Platinum Egoïste and enjoyed it very much. It might not score high on the uniqueness scale, but it worked on me. I would probably have felt out of place wearing M7, DHI, or Havana; but if you like those scents, and you put them on and feel good, you probably have the sophistication needed to pull them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    By all means, come in and take a chip off your shoulder.
    Maybe that came off as more dismissive than intended. I usually share the perspective on classic vs contemporary tastes. I just think that sometimes people who come here are not aware of that perspective and they may thus be disappointed if they just go by the advice instead of trying and sampling.

Well i have learnt one thing for sure... try before buy.... but sometimes its difficult to find testers... :P

Platinum Egoiste!

From your list: Dreamer and M7

In my area, Dreamer is a hit with the ladies.

Well i have learnt one thing for sure... try before buy.... but sometimes its difficult to find testers... :P
    You can buy vial samples from "The Perfumed Court" and "Luckyscent". Both recommended. It also gives you some time with it that you often lack when you're in the store.

In the end, only you can decide what you like or what is too mature. Chances are that if you don't find it too mature, others your age won't either. Be sure to check out the reviews section on this site as well. It's very good, you get an idea of both what people like and dislike about different fragrances.

One thing you might also consider is vetiver. I think it can be worn by someone of any age, and there are some truly unique vetiver scents out there. Sycomore and Sel de Vetiver are both fantastic without going too far into the rooty/stuffy aspect. The new formulation of Guerlain Vetiver also seems to have shed the old-man vibe of its precursor and could work very well for you.

Are there any similarities in guerlain vetiver and terre d hermes... coz i already have terre d hermes...

Are there any similarities in guerlain vetiver and terre d hermes... coz i already have terre d hermes...
    Not very much. The vetiver in TdH is just a whisper, whereas it's the dominant note in the Guerlain.

Oh k... How is the longevity and sillage of guerlain vetiver?

I think it's probably good, but I don't actually own it myself. Someone on BN recently gave me a sample, which is how I know it. There is also an Extreme version that probably amps up the sillage at the cost of some topnotes. If you try it, I would sniff both versions.

Another one to try is Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. But I also agree with Brian Chambers on Sel de Vetiver - modern, fresh, intriguing, unique.

I will definitely check out guerlain vetiver regular and extreme versions... Not quite sure if i can afford tom ford frags now... But i really need to try tobacco vanille... :P

I will definitely check out guerlain vetiver regular and extreme versions... Not quite sure if i can afford tom ford frags now... But i really need to try tobacco vanille... :P
    From what I've read (haven't smelled it myself), Spicebomb comes pretty close to Tobacco Vanille at 1/2 the price.

I checked out the reviews of Guerlain Vetiver extreme but it seems to lack in the sillage and longevity department... I still need to try them on my skin...

I checked out the reviews of Guerlain Vetiver extreme but it seems to lack in the sillage and longevity department... I still need to try them on my skin...
    Well, they may be right. I have never tried the Extreme version. I just thought it might be an interesting comparison.

of those Dior Homme Intense by far...some of the others I cannot recommend at all. But you do have Terre D'Hermes, so you might find M7, Dreamer, and Egoiste "tolerable".

lol, love the user name. go with egoiste.

i hear good things about the Issey Summer Editions, I'm currently looking in to them.

I like La Nuit and Dreamer, but you said you don't care for the dreamer. I have yet to try M7, it is on my to try list though.
    TOP PICKS
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Creed Silver Mountain Water Creed Millesime Imperial
    Gucci Pour Homme II YSL La Nuit de L'homme Versace The Dreamer
    Burberry London YSL L'homme L'occitane Eau Des Baux

I m really confused between M7 and Opium PH EDP... and the worst part is that i cant get opium ph testers in the stores... can someone compare these frags and tell me... I have tested M7 and found it to be good...

Also has any one tested essenza di wills aqua and mikkel???

Egoiste.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

i have tested both - egoiste and platinum egoiste... but somehow i just dont like them a lot...

I m really confused between M7 and Opium PH EDP... and the worst part is that i cant get opium ph testers in the stores... can someone compare these frags and tell me... I have tested M7 and found it to be good...

Also has any one tested essenza di wills aqua and mikkel???
    M7 has a cherry medicinal vibe (think of cough syrup). I don't think it's similar to the Opiums. I have both Opium PH EDT and EDP. EDT is more tolerable, and you can spray more of it. It's definitely a great smell, you get a very oriental vibe with it (kinda fruity yet oriental and spicy). Very nice fragrance, not similar to M7 at all. EDP of Opium PH is one of the most potent male frags out there, one spray carries a lot of responsibility (well you're an A Men fan, so you know what potency is all about). I do feel though, that Opium PH EDP is a bit dated (but frankly in my opinion so are M7, Egoists, and original powerhouses with the exception of Le Male and A Men). If you cannot find EDP to smell, try to get a whiff of Opium EDT, it's perhaps the better choice.

Well i really like M7 and Xeryus Rouge... so i thought of getting those... But a fellow BNer suggested Opium PH EDP to be very good n thats when i got confused... Should i get the opium ph edp instead of M7???

well obviously you should smell it before getting it ahead of M7....or at least smell the EDT so you know what to expect. The EDP is just more concentrated version, heavier feel, but the vibe is similar (though the EDT feels crisper and lighter)

I'm going to go against the grain here a bit, and while all the fragrances you suggested are good, your 24, and I would go with:

1. Platinum Egoiste
    5. Versace Dreamer
    6. Dior Homme Intense

Most Basenoters believe that fragrance has no age associations, but I'm in the other camp.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."