Code of Conduct

Question Smooth herbal fragrance with menthol and (clean) musk?

In Sweden we have som different brands of "throat pastilles" which brings me back good memories from my childhood. Now I'm looking for a fragrance with similar notes. I don't expect you to know what those pastilles smells/tastes like as most of you're not from Sweden, but they're called Läkerol Original and Tenor (not sure if Tenor is in production any longer). Probably you have something similar in your countries under another brand. I guess all grandparents around the world used to suck on some mentholy rubbery throat pastilles and sometimes offered their grandchildren to taste, believing it was candy - which it wasn't because (most) young people don't like it. Not very sweet, just mentholy/herbal with a weird (from a childs perspective) taste/smell.

Läkerol Original has menthol and licorice listed as ingredients. The menthol note is not very dominant, it's hidden somewhere in the licorice note, together with something else which smells kind of herbal/earthy/camphorous. I also get a clean musk which smooths out the other notes (but I guess you don't put musk in something you eat).

The fragrance which I find most similar is actually Nasomatto Silver Musk - it got that smooth mentholy/musky note.

Any suggestions based on this? Think the ethereal clean musk/menthol notes from Nasomatto Silver Musk, but more herbal/earthy/camphorous without getting sharp.

Default Re: Smooth herbal fragrance with menthol and (clean) musk?

None perfectly to brief (I like Lakerols) but possibly worth a shot - I wear these for a crisp herbal 'hit'.

Fou d'Absinthe
    Memoir Man
    Epic Woman
    Granville
    Herba Fresca
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 15th April 2012 at 12:53 PM.

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens has that menthol feel....

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration? Strong herbal lemons.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Frederic Malle - Geranium pour Monsieur

Maybe Czech & Speake Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Definitely agree with this one
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I'd also consider Fou d'Absinthe.

Dependent

That flavor sounds like Jägermeister.

Eau Sauvage Extreme Intense (=new version) has herbs musk and mint.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration? Strong herbal lemons.
    This!

La base
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Geranium again. I really never thought of it as menthol, instead I kind of always found it to smell like a bathroom lol. But that's just my opinion, and maybe if I think of it as herbal I'll appreciate it more.

From what I can judge, the discontinued (but still available from various old stocks) Horizon by Guy Laroche might be suitable - smooth herbal it is, menthol notes are also there, and while the drydown consists mainly of cedar, sandalwood, leather and moss, it does have a hint of clear, translucent, crisp, soapy musk to it

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Memoir Man

^^^^these....

Also, try to give a test to a couple of tiger-balm inspired compositions such as Esprit Du Tigre and Piper Nigrum

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a bittersweet blast from the stimulating melange of greenness spurred by ansinthe, with its dusty, dry, medicinal dimensions; angelica, with its heavy, sweet, musky attributes; star anise, with its smoky, rich, licorice character and black currant, with its strong, fruity bouquet tinged with a cat urine slant. Percolating with a faint backdrop of a coniferous forest, this somewhat brisk blend meanders to the inviting heart. Here, woody clove, spicy-sweet ginger, cinnamon-like nutmeg and a hint of lively pepper shower the green opening, and impart their warmth, while resourceful patchouli adds a warm earthiness with its slight nutty and musky overtures. The foresty background is still here, and carries this flavorful concoction to the awaiting base. Robust conifers take center stage with the fresh and slightly camphorous woodiness of pine needles and the balsamic, christmas tree aroma of firs. Cistus bestows its terpenic and pine-like facets and vague illusions of amber and leather. A faintly rugged and quintessentially outdoorsy drydown ensues. This all-season, masculine composition has good projection, a 12-inch, scent cloud, and very good longevity, 10 hours; and should be experienced, especially on cool evenings.

&

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo - Upon application, one is treated to an invigorating wave of hesperidic notes, with their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A touch of neroli with its spicy, overripe orangey aspect also presents, while star anise imparts its sweetish, smoky licorice and slightly woody facets. This fascinating melange floats on a cloud of perfumed hedione, with its tinge of citrusy jasmine and woods, and wafts to the awaiting middle. Here, in the pleasing heart, the opening mix is subsumed by a somewhat bracing concoction of lively and woody pepper, menthol-ish clary sage and nutty coriander. A sweet rose presents as well. An oceanic fucus provides an undertone of salty, aquatic plant life. Transitioning to the waiting base, the aquatic brew is encased by creamy and delicately balsamic sandalwood as well as honeyed and slightly smoky guaiacwood. A fresh-linen musk, akin to a fabric softener dryer sheet, showers the woods, and leads to a refreshing drydown. This pleasant, masculine composition is ideal for spring and summer, and has average projection and very good longevity. Given its inexpensive price point, it's a must have.