Code of Conduct

Default What sort of training do parfumeurs undertake to ply their craft?

Are there schools that cater to this or do they learn on the job from other masters?

Default Re: What sort of training do parfumeurs undertake to ply their craft?

I believe it's a little of both.

Definitely a combination of the two. I suppose you could say its the master who can combine nature and nurture to render an appealing perfume.

But yes there are several perfumery schools and a new upcoming one may be initiated by Lorenzo Villoresi.

for swap/sale:

Most of the big perfumers have had family contacts or some other contacts within the industry. Some have learned as apprentices under other perfumers, technicians, and chemists. A few great perfumers have been turned down by the professional perfumery school ISIPCA (http://www.isipca.fr/isipca/home.nsf/P_CONS), but these days I think it’s difficult to get a steady job without an ISIPCA diploma. Some go to the in-house schools of the big scent maker corporations like Givaudan, Firmenich, IFF, Symrise, etc. Jean-Claude Ellena started as an intern at the Antoine Chiris factory before going to Givaudan for a short while. A lot of it has to with how much talent you have and who you know.

ISIPCA is the main one but imho is way too expensive, and I believe there's some industry interest involved in keeping it that way. You can learn by yourself what you need, but you must study a lot, experiment a lot, and be very patient. Only a few succeed to actually become a "nose".
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist