Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Cologne Reviewers on Youtube *QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!*

To everyone in the forums who watches fragrance reviewers on youtube such as (Robes08) how often would you expect a review from some of your favorites? Once a week, Twice? More? Less? I made my first review video because i'm in love with fragrances SO I'm wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks everyone, great community here

Simply search up "Jakob English Cologne" on YouTube, I'm the guy with that blue shirt and brown hat with the Polo Bottle, Thanks friends

-JE.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 17th April 2012 at 12:10 AM.

Default Re: Cologne Reviewers on Youtube *QUESTION FOR EVERYONE!*

I've watched a few and are subed to a few. I would like at least one a week, but two would be great.

Anytime you can, but once a week is really great

One a week would be ideal.

Once a week is nice. But sometimes you can't always get around to it. It's time consuming especially from a testing standpoint for a quality review unusually try and get a review out every two weeks. Because life just hits you and there's just not enough time
    ~D.G.~

One a day, minimum! :-)

I don't expect any reviews from anyone, really. I just watch them when I search for information about a specific fragrance.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm a reviewer myself. Sometimes I post two within a few days,
    sometimes it takes a whole month before I upload a video.
    I'd say, that in the beginning, you need to post a lot of videos,
    you know, to show up on as many perfume searches as possible.
    When you have some 10-20 videos up and running, you can slow
    down.
    That's just my advise.

My advice is to upload a new review at least once a week. Also, try to discuss fragrances that everyone on Youtube hasn't already reviewed. Another Pure Malt, Aventus, or Dior Homme Intense review IMO doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by jakobdenglish View Post
    To everyone in the forums who watches fragrance reviewers on youtube such as (Robes08) how often would you expect a review from some of your favorites? Once a week, Twice? More? Less? I made my first review video because i'm in love with fragrances SO I'm wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks everyone, great community here

Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClN...g?feature=mhee

If the link is broken simply search up "Jakob English Cologne" on YouTube, I'm the guy with that blue shirt and brown hat with the Polo Bottle, Thanks friends

-JE.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Gandini 1896 Teak Wood, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Bond No.9 I Love NY Marriage Equality, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud, Rasasi Faqat Lil Rijal, Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Two a week would be awesome!

Love love your vids duke

Default Where are the reviewers?

Guys,
    Do you know why the below brilliant people disappeared, or are disappearing?
    I know robes08 is travelling and Hiro/Miguel has just gotten back due to work/studies but how about?
    Tswetcoff
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tswetcoff
    The Sultan of Scent
    http://www.youtube.com/user/959lover?feature=watch
    JRWRITER
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER
    ariscotm's channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariscotm

I kinda think it is just because of living a normal life, family, work, school. Some may got tired of colognes or just having a normal break. Thank you for any info.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Default Re: Where are the reviewers?

i think its just bothersome to make videos editting reading comments replying etc etc,
    hiro said he lost the passion and love of making videos but i guess he found his way back which is awsome <3

I imagine it sucks quite a bit of time up if you do reviews, splits, and answer subscribers emails. Then there's the fact that once you smell that many fragrances, then what's left?

I've kind of found youtube reviews to be somewhat misleading. They kind of work off each other, hyping up certain fragrances as a collective, I think one really likes it then that hype causes everyone to want it, review it, and hype it more. But that's an over generalization. There's a place for youtube reviewers and a place for basenotes discussion, and there are some wonderful reviewers here.

I know Tswetcoff has been gone for a while, robes will be back, mymickers and hiro are still going, and Kerosene posted a new review a few days ago.

It's also quite expensive.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I really dont think it matters or anyone worries about it. Dont try to cram in lots of videos unless you are really entertaining like Ash.
    Also, never say "Sorry i have posted in a while guys, ive been busy blah blah..."
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    It's also quite expensive.
    That too. Robes08 must spend a fortune because he doesn't do splits which I'm sure is how many of these guys can afford it. I bet Robes08 spends over $60,000 on fragrances each year.

I've only done a few videos, but that was when I had a lot more time on my hands. Now I'm studying for Step 1 and other finals. This upcoming summer I plan on making one a week or every other week again

For some it's a lot of planning and work.

To me it's all about the cologne/fragrance... not the reviewer. Katie Puckrick (sp) is ok by me mostly because she's witty, pleasing to look at and says what she feels need be said and not much more. She seems to understand that time has a value to the viewer. Conversely, I was surfin around the other day and found a 14 minute plus review on Al Oudh! Haha, can't believe I actually watched that one all the way through. It really could've/should've been done in a fraction of that time.

That said, I don't watch Katie just because she happened to make a video. It's gotta be about something I care about.

Can't speak for others here, but I for one certainly don't 'follow' video reviewers of fragrance for entertainment. In summary, keep 'em short n sweet and, like others have said, review those that are off the beaten path.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I follow Kerosene because his videos are hilarious. Also he reviews most of the fragrances that I'm interested in. Katie's videos are good too because she's straight to the point. Plus I think she's gorgeous. Other than that, I don't really care about a video every week or every other day, etc.

and I'm sure they're busy with life outside fragrances too.

lavender palm is gonna be hyped tha shit up these months

Ducs videos are a powerful mother!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

90% of YouTube fragrance reviews start off with the reviewer apologizing for how long their last video was and that they promise this time they'll make it short, then I look to the lower right hand corner of the video and it's a 13:00 video!

Katie Puckrick is no doubt a fantastic person but her review style does nothing for me (the cutesy, kitschy routine) and I also find most of her selections to be uninteresting. One of my favorite youtube channels (and I just discovered it a couple days ago) are 2 guys called the FragranceBros. It's just two unpretentious guys who don't pretend to be experts and it is that kind of honesty that makes their reviews so accurate, imo. Plus since it's two people you're getting double viewpoints and they're quite entertaining. Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/user/FragranceBros

I enjoy the Fragrance Bros. Very entertaining and call it they way they smell it and don't try to over analyze it. MyMickers, Kerosene, Robes08, BPWool, Frunkinator, and FragranceFanatic1 all do a great job. Speaking of entertainment I had to share another one of Ash's video's in which he absolutely butcher's the names of fragrances.

What's crazy is I remember searching for Lutens reviews on YouTube in 2009 (or 2008, can't remember) and there was only 1, same for Parfumerie Generale, now there's pages upon pages. I think it's great to see so many people using YouTube to review fragrances and I find these reviews far more honest and interesting than a lot of the written blogs (where some people value showing off their vocabulary and silly wordplay noodlings more than conveying and honest summary of the fragrance to the reader). I actually haven't regularly read a perfume blog in months now but I check the YouTube reviews almost daily.

I dabbled with youtube reviews ages ago. It takes a lot of dedication to stick with it after a few months. It's definitely time consuming. You need to wear the fragrance you're reviewing for a few days, make all your thoughts and write down some notes and points you think need bringing up, maybe do a bit of research in the background of the fragrance, then film and edit it. Altogether it takes about a week or two to get a review out (for me at least). And that's on top of living a regular life too.

I actually really enjoyed the editing side of things. I tried to make mine a bit more visual, as watching a 10+ minute review, all the information can tend to blow past without much of it sinking in other than the conclusion. But I've kinda lost my interest in fragrance in general too, which is why I stopped. I only recently bought a group of decants after about a whole year of not buying anything fragrance-related.

Lavender palm didn't do so well around here initially no? Can Hiro revive it?

i think so, he probably has one of the largest amount of viewers on youtube, and he's pretty connected with other reviewers
    e.g fragrancefanatic1 suddenly swapping 50ml of lavender palm?
    also if you check his facebook group.. it already hyped as sh1t lol

A lot of new reviewers have appeared, a lot. You just have to look closer. Al just gave a big shout out to some newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Speaking of entertainment I had to share another one of Ash's video's in which he absolutely butcher's the names of fragrances.

You might as well hang it up, no way you can top this.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    You might as well hang it up, no way you can top this.
    Lol. I know you love these heperd. I heard a ding for new email and this gem was just uploaded. The hits just keep on coming with this one. Anna Mallaaay Anna Mallaaay (animale animale) was classic but Mosque (Musk) Power houses........ Good Lord Almighty!
    Last edited by silentrich; 17th April 2012 at 01:12 AM.

I hope to someday go sniffing with Ash. It would be as great as the time I got to bump heads with Wesley Willis.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

I hope to someday go sniffing with Ash. It would be as great as the time I got to bump heads with Wesley Willis.
    Oil express. Oyoooooooool expreeeeeeeeeuheeeesss!

(Oh how I wanted to go with so many other examples but they are er.. not exactly forum appropriate ).

LOL, did you seriously get to meet Wesley Willis? I miss him.

Oh man..... that'd be great! I think just to finish the day off I'd pay to have a character sketch done of Ash with the Eiffel Tower and French flags in the background.

Waaaaawgreens, the pharmacy America trusses.

I met him at two shows and bumped his head at one of them. Say Rah! bump, Say Roll! bump. It really hurt actually.

I have video of the shows and everything, i have to dig around and find those tapes and figure out how to transfer them to digital.
    Miss him too....

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    That too. Robes08 must spend a fortune because he doesn't do splits which I'm sure is how many of these guys can afford it. I bet Robes08 spends over $60,000 on fragrances each year.
    No kidding. That guy is ballin' outta control.

I also like the guy who ask passersby on the street their opinions on frags

As someone fairly new to YouTube reviews, this is a great thread !

And I'm correct in thinking that Ash is busy doing something else, while at the same time posting this review ? ?

Dang, that's what I call "being on task".

My new #2 favorite youtuber behind Ash. Just hit mute and play some Allman Brothers.

CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Watching this video had a quicker effect on me than a sleeping pill.

Quote Originally Posted by SmelltheGlove View Post
    No kidding. That guy is ballin' outta control.

I also like the guy who ask passersby on the street their opinions on frags
    Yeah, street scents i think thats what it's called. I kinda like that non analyzing, first impression, is it good or not aspect as well.