Code of Conduct

Default Recommend me a scent based on current likes

Hi there.

I'm after a new fragrance and thought I'd ask for some suggestions, you guys seem to know

Here is a short list of fragrances I have really liked and ones I haven't.

Love
    Givenchy Pi
    YSL la Nuit De l'homme
    Hugo Boss bottled
    Paco Rabanne XS

Channel Allure
    YSL Live Jazz (10 years ago!)

Dislike
    Channel Allure Sport
    Jean Paul Gaultier La Male (nice but too strong, headachey for me)
    Armani Aqua Di Gio (ok but a little old fashioned I thought)
    Paco Rabanne Black XS
    Tommy Hilfiger (headaches)

I hope this gives a rough idea of my tastes, any recommendations for a new scent based on this would be much appreciated!

Cheers guys
    Greg
    Last edited by Orieno; 16th April 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Default Re: Recommend me a scent based on current likes

Seems like you don't like fragrances that are very sweet (Black XS, Le Male), and I'm with you. A few that you may like:

- Rive Gauche Pour Homme: Fresh, barber-shop clean
    - YSL L'Homme: Spawned La Nuit, and is different enough to stand on its own
    - Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabanna: Probably my most-complimented frag by "everyday" women (yes, more than Aventus!)
    - Gucci Pour Homme II: Smooth tea
    - Terre D'Hermes: Citrus and earth with some metal (my gf's personal favorite)
    - Chanel Egoiste: Somewhat sweet, but a nice woody oriental with vanilla and sandalwood (one of my personal favorites)

This list is somewhat 'safe', but I've only included frags that are easy to find and are less than $100 for 100ml. There are tons of others, but these will be a good start. Best of luck finding one you like!

Carbone de Balmain
    Nuit De Sens

Roadster if you like mint, Individuel, Joop! Jump Summer Temptation, Fahrenheit 32.

Banned

Rochas Man, Emporio Armani Lui, Gucci Guilty, D by Dunhill, Dunhill Desire, Pasha.

Thanks chaps. I'm going to head into town later and see how many of these I can sample.

Any more suggestions very welcome. :-)

Ok so I went into a few stores in town today. It really is so hard to test and choose a new fragrance with so many available. Spraying them on a bit of card and smelling instantly doesn't really work as they all smell the same, alcoholy, straight away and keeping the cards and remembering which one is which is difficult.

I ended up buying a new bottle of Givenchy Pi as mine has run out and I love that stuff, but still after a new one.

I quite liked Fahrenheit 32 and YSL l'homme and l'homme Libre. Also D&G No11 La Force was interesting. I don't really feel as if I know them very well at all further than initial sniff, Maybe I'll go back with a pen and get four cards and mark which one is which.

Very hard to tell without spraying one on individually and spending a few hours with it though. Very disappointed with most of them on initial smell I must say. There seem to be three or four general smells that they all conform to.

Thanks for the tips though. Any more suggestions to check out still welcome !
    Last edited by Orieno; 17th April 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Banned

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior - This fragrance bears no resemblance whatsoever to its namesake Fahrenheit. The opening is a refreshing whiff of clean greenness, with faint specks of refreshing mint and fruity coconut, carried on nascent vanilla. Drifting to a lovely, floral middle, a sharp and crisp neroli and a wisp of vetiver wrestle with the menthol and strengthening vanilla, imparting a sweetness and powderiness to the mixture. The overpowering base, with its fully developed vanilla, and attendant sweet and powdery aura, takes control and leads to its comforting drydown. This high-quality composition is unique, and has average longevity and projection.

and try:

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transition to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.

YSL L'homme
    Armani Code
    Pure Havane
    The One

I hope this gives a rough idea of my tastes

Banned

pasha, Gucci Guilty, Emporio Armani Lui.

Popped into Debenhams on my lunch break today. Was hoping to get a card with some Fahrenheit 32 on but they didn't have it.

They did however have Viktor & Rolf's Spicebomb. On initial smell - LOVE IT !

I got that on a card along with D&G's No11 La Force. They are actually very similar.

I'd still like to try Fahrenheit 32, and Rochas Man intrigues me, but I think between Spicebomb and La Forge I've found my new fragrance.
    Last edited by Orieno; 18th April 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Also try Gaultier 2 is simplistic, but beautifully sweet and cosy - vanilla amber and musk, a bit powdery, very sexy

Thanks will check out Gaultier 2 tomorrow.

Spicebomb and La Force are uncannily similar. 5 hours on and I can tell that La Force is no where near as strong, the scent has almost gone from the card where as spicebomb is still going strong.

Spicebomb is twice the price but lasts twice as long.

I settled on Spicebomb. Love it. La Force was nice but longevity was minimal in comparison.

I now have a new found obsessions with fragrances though so I'm sure there'll be many more to come !