Code of Conduct

Default traveling with fragrances

hey all! im going from usa - bahamas next weekend! im just curious about travelling with fragrances. Im only bringing a carry on bag, and i know from before i was only able to bring a certain amount/sized bottle. id like to have more choice, and have small bottles for decanting. im just curious if bags are searched, that decanted bottles will be suspicious? .5ml glass bottles with written labels? maybe theyd look like drugs/explosives?

Default Re: traveling with fragrances

Don't believe you should have any problem. If they ask you what they are, tell them the truth and spray them if they're dubious. As long as you meet the carry on regulation for liquids, I see no problem.
    Last edited by hednic; 17th April 2012 at 03:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had a problem with carry-on and following the procedures. Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Carried around lots of small perfume bottles without any problem. The limit is 100ml (3.4oz) per bottle, so make sure your decants are less than that. In carry-on bags, you are supposed to put all the liquids in 1 quart ziploc bags and then place these ziploc bags in the tray outside of the luggage when you go through the machine. This way they can see what they are, if you keep them in the luggage, they will open and search.

Note that this rule holds for any gels or creams. So if you bring, say, a sunscreen in a bottle that's more than 100ml, they'll stop it and prevent it from going through. So put all your creams, perfumes et in said plastic bags.

Have fun!

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The limit is 100ml (3.4oz) per bottle,
    cacio
    Down here, the limit is a 100ml bottle period. A full 100ml bottle is allowed, but a 125ml bottle with only 20mls in it is not allowed.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Down here, the limit is a 100ml bottle period. A full 100ml bottle is allowed, but a 125ml bottle with only 20mls in it is not allowed.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Quite right, Renato. You can see the level is only half full, but that is the law.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - thanks for clarifying. The bottles should be 100ml or less - a half empty larger bottle is not ok. However, one can bring as many such bottles as one wishes. Or better, the rule I think is whatever fits in one 1quart ziploc bag, but in practice, I always carry a couple of them, and if the perfume is new in its box I just take the box out of the luggage, without putting it in a ziploc bag (after all, the box has a nicely printed quantity information).

cacio

i read most of this (unfortunately on my phone) but my thoughts are maybe 4 - .5ml decants. so i can put them all in that ziplog bag together, and shouldnt have a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by d_duffy7 View Post
    i read most of this (unfortunately on my phone) but my thoughts are maybe 4 - .5ml decants. so i can put them all in that ziplog bag together, and shouldnt have a problem?
    I don't think there is a problem at all with that. The only thing I can think of is if the decanters are small metal atomisers. That can cause a problem with x-ray machines. A open visual inspection of the vials will clear anything up.

Have a great trip.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem whatsoever for these quantities, just put it into your ziploc toiletries bag.

cacio

thank you everyone!