47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pure Malt

19 40.43%
  • Fraoin 1270

28 59.57%
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frapin 1270 vs Pure Malt

I'm looking for purchase one since I can't find anybody that wants to swap either of these 2 (people love their PM and won't give it up lol.) so If you had to choose, which one would it be?

Default Re: Frapin 1270 vs Pure Malt

i have both and prefer 1270 by far. I have also had more compliments wearing 1270 than PM.

The only thing i would give PM is it has stronger longevity.

1270 by far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    1270 by far.
    Absolutely this, Pure Malt gives me headaches.
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 17th April 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

1270 by a mile.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

i sold 1270 because it smelled like strong alcohol in the top then fades into almost nothing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

alrighty then lol... just ordered my bottle of 1270 for $120 on ebay... finding Pure Malt at a decent price or a decent swap offer was pissing me off anyway. continue voting though, I'm interested in seeing what the die hard Pure Malt fans have to say

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

The both smell great, however...

If you want to smell great for thirty minutes to an hour: 1270

If you want to smell great for 6-8 hours: Pure Malt

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Frapin 1270 - a lovely and unique gourmand fragrance, wherein the notes complement each other so wonderfully ...

i could live without either.

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing Pure Malt wins is longevity (although the smell is still great) otherwise it's no match to 1270.

Post Thanks / Like

I find Pure Malt so much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Both great, but 1270 is just made better.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to go with Pure Malt on this one. It's just beautiful and unique. Of course, I love 1270 as well. As already stated, it's got much weaker longevity. In terms of the pure smell, both are winners, but something about Pure Malt that I can't put my finger on is just addictive to me.

Have both. Love both. I'd go with 1270.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry but Pure Malt edges this one. BOTH are so overhyped it's unbelievable. Frapin does not last long and is just a nice fragrance. I can't stand it when people make something so average be something so huge.

Regardless, both aren't blind buys but for some reason Pure Malt has a certain something that makes it a marginal winner in this comparison vote.

I can say with some certainty that if Pure Malt was a release by Frederic Malle, so many perfume heads here would rep this fragrance on such a healthy level.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    I am sorry but Pure Malt edges this one. BOTH are so overhyped it's unbelievable. Frapin does not last long and is just a nice fragrance. I can't stand it when people make something so average be something so huge.

Regardless, both aren't blind buys but for some reason Pure Malt has a certain something that makes it a marginal winner in this comparison vote.

I can say with some certainty that if Pure Malt was a release by Frederic Malle, so many perfume heads here would rep this fragrance on such a healthy level.
    From what i gather (i could be wrong), you seem to be saying people just choose 1270 because it is a niche and if PM was niche too, then more would prefer it. Well, I'm certainly one who doesn't give a sh*t. I prefer 1270 because -in my opinion- it smells better. I get 6 hours from it, which suits me fine, as only wear it when going out. Of the two i actually feel PM is overrated and 1270 is vastly underrated. But hey, that's just my opinion!!!

Post Thanks / Like

1270 smells waaayyyy better, but lasts like 2-3 hours, then just totally disappears.

Pure malt smells alright, but lasts all day.

I'd choose pure havane over both of these

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
    From what i gather (i could be wrong), you seem to be saying people just choose 1270 because it is a niche and if PM was niche too, then more would prefer it. Well, I'm certainly one who doesn't give a sh*t. I prefer 1270 because -in my opinion- it smells better. I get 6 hours from it, which suits me fine, as only wear it when going out. Of the two i actually feel PM is overrated and 1270 is vastly underrated. But hey, that's just my opinion!!!
    Opinions are opinions.
    I personally think both are very overrated. If you prefer 1270, I am happy for you.

And yes, psychologically a 'niche' makes people associate a fragrance more in line with better quality and thus worthy of more recognition (and they are not always wrong), but once a fragrance even as 'rare' as PM becomes over-hyped and even well distributed amongst the perfume heads, the 'rep-value' falls down quite a bit (esp as it's designer by default).

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really don't care about fragrances being perceived as overrated or underrated. I care about my enjoyment of them.

I really enjoy Frapin 1270. It is one of my favorites. I get decent longevity out of it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bejahu View Post
    The both smell great, however...

If you want to smell great for thirty minutes to an hour: 1270

If you want to smell great for 6-8 hours: Pure Malt
    +1 very batim. Unfortunately 1270 had quite bad longevity...otherwise I would give it a slight edge smell wise
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Post Thanks / Like

1270 is a really nice complex perfume.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've worn 1270 about 3x already and it has lasted an average of 4-5hrs on my skin. which is ok for the type of fragrance it is. I'm happy with my purchase. I won't even bother with PM anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

this stuff has some of the worst projection and longevity of any fragrance ive ever come across. i like the scent but cant fathom dropping 155$ on such weak juice. what gives? after about 45 minutes to an hour it's 85% gone. how can they call this an edp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lm6 View Post
    this stuff has some of the worst projection and longevity of any fragrance ive ever come across. i like the scent but cant fathom dropping 155$ on such weak juice. what gives? after about 45 minutes to an hour it's 85% gone. how can they call this an edp?
    try more than a single spray

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

its a .7ml sample vial from lucky scent. I put on maybe 1/6th the vial and it was gone in 10 min so I emptied the rest of the vial (a little over half a ml, should be way more than one full wearing's worth id think) into an atomizer and got about 4 solid sprays on, 45 minutes my nose has to scan my arm to find the spot. my mind is blown at how weak this stuff is :/

Post Thanks / Like

lm6,

I've mentioned this before. For the first two years I was skeptical but after so many occurrences, others and my own, I am convinced that some perfumes deteriorate when transferred to vials.

I've had the same thing happen to me. Smelled something, noted its projection, notes and longevity and then smell it from a bottle and its materially different.

I'd sprayed about 2 ml of Patchouli Imperial from my own bottle into a 2ml vial to send to someone. Turned out that person didn't want it or something so I kept the vial right next to the FB in my closet which has a door.
    A few months later I open it and smell it and find its significantly different. Not spoiled but not like the original FB. So I dab some on a tissue and spray some of the Patchouli Imperial from my full bottle on a tissue and ask wife if they're the same. She said they're similar but not the same. When I explained what happened she said the vial may have gotten oxidized or something.

Now I've had the above happen to me enough for me to deduce some perfumes don't transfer well. I'd say from the 700 or so samples I've gotten in the past two years a good 15-20% have been off.

I know people on here hate to read this because it affects a major part of the hobby/passion but its the truth.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the post hedonist! my experience is the opposite in that ive never noticed any difference between samples and full bottles (in fact 99% of my fb purchases are from samples and decants that were sprayed out and i never have noticed any difference between the juice in a sample vial and the juice in a fb).

my concern though comes from doing some research on 1270 and seeing quite a few other folks having longevity issues as well, in fact it seems like the most common complaint about this fragrance.

I wish the opening of Frapin 1270 would last to become a linear scent. So good but such poor longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

still Pure Malt.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are nice, but I prefer Pure Malt.

Post Thanks / Like

1270 is amazing but does not last at all. I really wanted to have this fragrance as part of my collection but it just doesn't last!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Noir De Noir
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Bois D'Argent
    5. Aoud 1
    6. Aventus
    7. Ore
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Ambre 114

Post Thanks / Like

Pure Malt is my favorite whiskey based fragrance. La Dandy PH EDP s a close 2nd.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock