Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Monsieur de Givenchy?

Courtesy of Lovescully (thanks again!!!) I'm transported back to the 80's and enjoying the wonderful scent of Monsieur de Givenchy.

If I want a bottle though which do I buy?

Does Monsieur de Givenchy "age" well?

How vintage is vintage?

There seems to be the current square bottle with the rectangle label, Les Parfums Mythiques, a square bottle with the banded label, a square bottle with the banded label in a more brown coloured box and a bottle without a label at all in a box that has a "wooden" appearance.

Which is the oldest?

Which is best?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I have both modern and vintage. My 'modern' is pre-Mythiques, though.

I think they are pretty alike. No noticable differences whatsoever.
    Don't get me wrong, I adore MdG, but, let's be honest; it is just a
    plain citrus, it's limited how much can be ruined by a reformulation.

Modern (late 90s?) to the left - vintage (80s?) to the right.

Default Re: Vintage Monsieur de Givenchy?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    ......it is just a
    plain citrus, it's limited how much can be ruined by a reformulation.
    Thanks for the info and pic Mr Duc

I thought the 60's/70's may be substantially different since there have been changes to the use of oakmoss and sandalwood in fragrances. Some also note a little civet in the base of the older versions, although I don't see this consistently mentioned.
    Last edited by laph; 17th April 2012 at 11:29 PM.

I respectfully differ from the opinion that it is a 'plain citrus'. For I do not think that it it is primarily about citrus at all. Still less do I see why some compare it to Eau Sauvage. Monsieur de Givenchy does not stridently refresh, nor masculinely brood: I feel it does lean to the masculine side, but in a very polite and harmonious way. People speak of 'balance' in compositions. The balance of Monsieur de Givenchy is of an unusual kind: the sort where everything seems to cancel everything else out. The equation of its notes causes each edge to be dulled, and each point to be corked. Less duel than sylvan dance. The nearest thing to it that I have smelled is Equipage.

It is a rather oblique animalic, really, for in my late 90s bottle, I cannot smell the civet in the slightest. It seems to be used as a binder only, and is responsible for the composition's opaqueness, though I imagine the oakmoss also contributes to this. Amusingly, it could be considered animalic not so much from its civet as from its beeswax. For I believe it is beeswax - unlisted? - that gives it its noticeable sweetness. It is very elegant how it peeps through the oakmoss.

I love Monsieur de Givenchy, deeply conservative though it is. I have heard that the vintage contained real Mysore sandalwood, and a more generous serving of civet? One wonders what that was like. Still, I am pleased to hear Le Grand Duc's opinion that it is a difficult fragrance to ruin. I think I remember Alafrom saying the same thing.

Actually, I just picked up some vintage MdG on Ebay for a song. While the top notes are not as "zingy" and citrusy as the modern one, I do pick up civet & sandalwood in the vintage.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Thank you for the post Merely, I agree with your description although I certainly couldn't describe it as eloquently.

Manicboy, how vintage is the bottle you bought?
    Is it as old as this? I'm pondering if to purchase (although I'll go for an EDT of a more reasonable size):

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Actually, I just picked up some vintage MdG on Ebay for a song. While the top notes are not as "zingy" and citrusy as the modern one, I do pick up civet & sandalwood in the vintage.
    I'm resurrecting this thread as I've just picked some vintage EDT and am waiting for it's arrival.
    I already have the vintage in an aftershave version which is one of my favourite scents of all time
    I'm expecting the top notes to be lacking due to age but I look forward to picking out civet and sandalwood.
    Anyone here familiar with the old formulation? Or care to comment on any version? It's certainly not "a simple citrus" scent to my nose...

You're in for a pleasant surprise!

Dependent

I get civet for sure in the new and old bottles I own. The new stuff is extremely weak and missing the soapy bite of the old. I would estimate the new juice is about 3.5x less potent than the old. It's also pretty cheap, so I just spray 20+ sprays and get a decent effect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You're in for a pleasant surprise!
    Oh good!
    Not quite sure why but then it wouldn't be a surprise if I did :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I get civet for sure in the new and old bottles I own. The new stuff is extremely weak and missing the soapy bite of the old. I would estimate the new juice is about 3.5x less potent than the old. It's also pretty cheap, so I just spray 20+ sprays and get a decent effect.
    Any real difference in the scents themselves apart from the strength?

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Thank you for the post Merely, I agree with your description although I certainly couldn't describe it as eloquently.

Manicboy, how vintage is the bottle you bought?
    Is it as old as this? I'm pondering if to purchase (although I'll go for an EDT of a more reasonable size):
    I'd say late 80s/early 90s.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I'd say late 80s/early 90s.
    Do you know if there is any way to date the bottle from the info on it (serial no. or something)? I suppose not, or you would have told us the exact date of your own bottle.
    I would also like to know when the original "rounded" bottle with the wraparound label was discontinued,

I received about a week ago the vintage version. The bottle and box are similar to those on Le Grand Duc's post above on the right side of the picture. It's just like i remember it to be from the 80's : a very loud, rich, full-bodied citrus, I'd say wonderful. I remember i have read this was the late great Freddie Mercury's signature fragrance.

Afaik this bottle model in Le grand Duc's post is older vintage than the one that's here below attached (which still is vintage though)

mgivenc.jpg
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)