Code of Conduct

Default Best "black and white" scent

I've always loved monochromaticism, especially strong and stark black and white contrasts that exclude gray altogether.

What I would love to find is a scent that captures both deep dark black elements alongside shimmering, vibrant, ethereal white elements. Think of a yin yang symbol, or, alternatively, the following two fragrances bottles which both capture the aesthetic I'm imagining:

I've got a few that I've tried that kind of fit the bill, but none are perfect. Here are the ones that have a lot of black/white qualities (with little other color), and the reasons why they aren't ideal, imo

-----

M/Mink: There's a nice contrast between clean linen (adoxal) and dark, carbonized wood. The honey and incense add a tad too much color for this to be truly black & white, although it may be the closest I've found.

Six Scents Series 2 No. 5 - This one is a silvery fennel, with some white accents thanks to the magnolia and white musk. Not enough dark or black elements present, though.

Bvlgari Black - kind of a unison of white and black smells with the rubber and vanilla. I'll have to revisit this as I can't clearly remember what it was that I didn't love about this scent.

Romance Silver - more silvery/grey than white/black. Close in many regards, and one of my favorite fresh scents (that grape/suede combo is amazing!) but again, not clearly enough black and white.

Pure Oud - almost purely black, with hints of brown. Not enough white, obviously.

Six Scents Series 1 No. 2 "Wicken 3000" - this is just pure white, through and through. Possibly the whitest scent I've ever smelled. Maybe I should try layering this with Pure Oud or something!

Bvlgari Man - this has some black/inky elements alongside the predominant starchy white woods. This is close, but I don't find there to be enough dark elements and the contrast is not strong enough to fit the ideal I'm imagining.

----

So, is there anything out there that fits the bill?

Default Re: Best "black and white" scent

Egoiste comes to mind and No.88 somewhat.

I get a lot of reds from Egoiste, and beiges thanks to the very natural smelling sandalwood. And that coriander note, too, adds too much color. Egoiste is a great scent but too colorful!

No. 88 is indeed very black. It's funny you mention it as I just resampled it on paper earlier tonight (Ah.. you know you're a BNer when you're revisiting a ton of fragrances on a Saturday Night ). Very dark, but I get very few bright or white elements from it. Maybe I am not perceiving the whole fragrance. I feel like maybe if I picked up on the sandalwood a bit more it would offer more 'whiteness'.

Versace Black Jeans as a darker vetiver, and maybe
    Rive Gauche pour Homme with its clean-cold feel.

Perhaps Micallef Avant Garde.

If you like the macabre, the new line by Tokyo Milk, the Dark series, they have interesting graphics: (The link says Femme Fatale, but the scents are decidedly unisex.)

http://www.tokyo-milk.com/t/femme-fatale
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Maybe Comme des Garšons 2? The aldehydes and ink against the woods and resins? I believe a black and white duality was part of the brief for this fragrance.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Maybe Comme des Garšons 2? The aldehydes and ink against the woods and resins? I believe a black and white duality was part of the brief for this fragrance.
    +1. This was the first scent that came to mind!

Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Snarky is as snarky does.

While not technically a fragrance, the smell of this pomade is incredible!

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Versace Dreamer, I can't figure out wether this is a clean or dirty fragrance. It blurs the line quite well IMO.

Encre Noire
    Antaeus
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Banned

l would say that Geranium pour Monsieur is "black and white" in the lunacy in attempting to marry two different scent paths in a composition.

Geranium pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle - One is initially treated to a bracing wave of camphorated mint and menthol, quite akin to a Tiger Balm odor, coupled with the lemony green smell of geranium leaf. Synthetic additives, such as anethol, with its anise character, floralozone, with its freshness, and rhodinol, with its citrusy floral dimension, all sophisticate the blend. This fresh opening spends a considerable amount of time wafting. A muted dusting of the concoction by warm cinnamon and earthy clove is feebly and fleetingly sensed, which strangely signals the beginning and end of the middle, if one exists. Thence, the incongruous base takes charge. White musk, with its soapiness, and sandalwood, with its soft and balsamic aspects, as well as sweet and faintly vanillic styrax and a touch of exotic incense forge an alluring base, while ambroxan imparts its velvety, skin-like, ambergris illusion. An inviting drydown ensures. One may choose to say this composition is unique, I prefer to say it is discordant. The projection and longevity for this/these scent(s) are average.

Not exactly black and white, but something with a similar duality, to my nose, is Futur - dark mossy green together with superclean soap, in good balance. Black and dark green, then, perhaps.

cacio

Off-Scenter

----------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 17th April 2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: No good deed goes unpunished.

Hmm...Breath of God, perhaps?

Banned

Rive Gauche.

Or Black (not because of the name but the smell) Pascal Morabito registers almost no vibrancy to my mind.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I revisited Bvlgari PH Soir today because it was mentioned. I like it more than I did before but there's still some musk note that is kind of overpowering the rest of the composition. It's thick and soapy. I think if that was dialed down a bit I would REALLY like the scent, as it does have a pretty good black/white/silvery feel.

Also revisited Geranium PM (on paper) and I'm liking that way more than I did in the past. A great recommendation that I'll be giving a full wear to here soon (as soon as it warms up a bit! We had some nice summery weather and now it's back to near freezing temps, ugh!)

Also revisited The Dreamer and have that on as I type. I really love this one, and I can see why it was recommended here. I used to think of it as more dark purple/white (I get a bit of a grape-like note against the iris/tobacco/juniper/clary sage), but the darkness present can definitely be seen as black in some ways. I'm not sure this is my ideal black/white scent, but it is a great scent and I am definitely going to be picking a bottle of it up in the future.

Also, for those who have tried it.. does Vanille 44 fit the bill at all? I'm sure there are enough white elements present w/ the vanilla and all, but I was hoping the guaiac wood note is pretty strong and dark. From the reviews I've read it seems most wouldn't say so, but I'm curious if anyone does get a strong black/white contrast. If so I'll definitely track down a sample of this hard to get and expensive scent.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Also, for those who have tried it.. does Vanille 44 fit the bill at all? I'm sure there are enough white elements present w/ the vanilla and all, but I was hoping the guaiac wood note is pretty strong and dark. From the reviews I've read it seems most wouldn't say so, but I'm curious if anyone does get a strong black/white contrast. If so I'll definitely track down a sample of this hard to get and expensive scent.
    To me V44 smelled like the following pool of adjectives:

Translucent - aging - espionage - infiltration - due-retirement - feeble

for swap/sale:

Narciso Rodriguez for Him Musc Collection comes to mind.

Basenotes Institution

Try Spellbound by Estee Lauder
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    aging - espionage - infiltration - due-retirement - feeble
    It smells like an.. elderly ninja?

I'm not sure what to make of these adjectives. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Versace Dreamer, I can't figure out wether this is a clean or dirty fragrance. It blurs the line quite well IMO.
    +1..
    Top 10 :
    1-Strictly Private Baldessarini
    2-Pure Havane
    3-Midnight in Paris
    4-Amber Sultan -- Chergui
    5-Dunhill Desire -- Aigner Black
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6-Seduction in Black -- La nuit de L'homme
    7-Angel Schlesser oriental edition II -- J.del Puzo Arabian Nights
    8-Versace PH -- Versace The Dreamer
    9-Mont Blanc Individuele -- Mont Blanc Legend
    10-Dirty English -- CK Shock -- CH men

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It smells like an.. elderly ninja?

I'm not sure what to make of these adjectives. Hmm...
    haha good one - but yes.

for swap/sale: