Code of Conduct

Default Scent of Apple - MacBook Pro Fragrance Created

A unique fragrance – the scent of a newly purchased Apple product being opened for the first time – has been created for an upcoming art exhibition by Melbourne artists Gavin Bell, Jarrah de Kuijer and Simon McGlinn.

The scent created with Air Aroma for Greatest Hits encompasses the smell of the plastic wrap covering the box, the printed ink on the cardboard, the smell of paper and plastic components within the box and, of course, the aluminum laptop which has come straight from the factory in China.

The creation process included suppliers in the South of France sending over samples of fragrances with the aromas of glue, plastic, rubber and paper. The samples were then used as ingredients by Air Aroma fragrance designers to create a range of signature blend fragrances.

To complete the fragrance they observed the unboxing of a new Apple computer to source fragrance samples. On completion the laptop was sent back to Australia, together with the scent of an Apple Macbook Pro.

The fragrance will feature at an exhibition at West Space, in Melbourne, entitled ‘De facto Standard’ between 20 April and 12 May.

http://www.macworld.com.au/news/scen...created-50991/

Default Re: Scent of Apple - MacBook Pro Fragrance Created

Is this for real? Everything I own is Apple, so I MUST have this!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

That should be interesting to say the least.

Oh man this is painful.
    I bet they think they're the first people doing something like this :')

Blog Entries

Here's an excerpt from another article:

To replicate the smell a brand new unopened Apple was sent to our fragrance lab in France. From there, professional perfume makers used the scents they observed unboxing the new Apple computer to source fragrance samples. On completion the laptop was sent back to Australia, travelling nearly 50,000kms and returned to our clients together with scent of an Apple Macbook Pro.

Air Aroma reports that fragrance suppliers in the south of France provided the aroma of glue, plastic, rubber, and paper. It doesn’t sound all that sexy actually, but here’s to hoping the finished product does indeed smell like the real thing.

The scent will be dispersed at the artists’ exhibition in Melbourne between April 20 and May 12. Unfortunately, you’ll have to hop on a plane to Australia to check it out, because it will not enter mass production or be available for purchase. That’s a shame.

http://www.cultofmac.com/161226/aust...w-macbook-pro/

forfreddie~ Who has recreated the Mac smell previously? It sounds like something Cire Trudon might try to pull off, but I hadn't heard of this before.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    forfreddie~ Who has recreated the Mac smell previously? It sounds like something Cire Trudon might try to pull off, but I hadn't heard of this before.
    I mean more of a conceptual thing.
    It's like Lisa Kirk's Revolution replicating tear gas and the like.
    Or even more so: Sissel Tolaas HSIDEWD made to smell like H&M and IKEA...
    Only both of those along with numerous Comme des Garcons and such have much more of an artistic vision, there's very little artistic about unboxing a laptop to me and the scent would be very little different from opening up a Windows laptop :'), or opening any parcel for that matter.
    All these notes have been sprung up in fragrances before, together as well! It sounds like CDG EDP 2011 minus the laundry flowers and saffron - glue, packing tape, and then throw in some metallic notes and keep the aldehydes.
    But that's just my predicition. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to give this thing a sniff, hopefully it'd suprise me and turn out not to be a slightly metallic ozonic fragrance with a damp paper note.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Or even more so: Sissel Tolaas HSIDEWD made to smell like H&M and IKEA...
    You probably mean Hsideews (which means Sweedish). She also made one called Vulva (I guess name says it all):

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Nothing terribly original. Steve Jobs is dead, we might as well get used to it.

Screw Apple!

Basenotes Institution

So I guess this won't smell anything like apples..............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'd rather not think too much about the provenance of my Apple products.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Notes include "suddenly empty wallet" and "sweat from 10 year old Chinese laborer." Heard it may be given a limited release in Apple stores; while you may dig into the fragrance on your own, Apple recommends having a member of the Genius Bar apply it for you (fee may apply).

Macworld have now run an article featuring a Q&A with the artists who came up with the idea - entirely without consulting Apple as it turns out - makes an interesting read.

http://www.macworld.com.au/news/macb...d-scent-52249/
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Is this for real? Everything I own is Apple, so I MUST have this!
    LOL - I was thinking the same thing. I LOVE that smell. Not sure I'd wear it, but who knows.....

I do love me some concept frags, so this would be interesting.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Notes include "suddenly empty wallet" and "sweat from 10 year old Chinese laborer." Heard it may be given a limited release in Apple stores; while you may dig into the fragrance on your own, Apple recommends having a member of the Genius Bar apply it for you (fee may apply).
    Ha!

My judgement may have been a little clouded by the fact that I had just been to the fragrance counters and was fully doused; a little rose, some rum, fermented orange and I forget the rest.
    All I got from the exhibit was some soap, clean, fresh; maybe a little cellophane. In fact foetidus' description of Nuit de Cellophane in the directory pretty much describes for me. The young reviewer I spoke to said it reminded him of opening up a batch of CDs. The exhibit was a small room with nothing more than an aroma emitting stand and a couple of Avatar DVD covers lying on the floor as if the cleaner forgot to pack them away. Clearly the artists were expecting a lot from the aroma alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    My judgement may have been a little clouded by the fact that I had just been to the fragrance counters and was fully doused; a little rose, some rum, fermented orange and I forget the rest.
    All I got from the exhibit was some soap, clean, fresh; maybe a little cellophane. In fact foetidus' description of Nuit de Cellophane in the directory pretty much describes for me. The young reviewer I spoke to said it reminded him of opening up a batch of CDs. The exhibit was a small room with nothing more than an aroma emitting stand and a couple of Avatar DVD covers lying on the floor as if the cleaner forgot to pack them away. Clearly the artists were expecting a lot from the aroma alone.
    Thanks for the update - as expected :')