Code of Conduct

Default Is it worth starting a massive cologne collection?

I want to start collecting colognes. I like collecting the bottles. I love the journeys each new scent i smell takes me on. I want to get my nose under every cologne thats talked about. I really want to do this, but theres only one thing im scared of.. The juice going bad! I dont want to store them in my fridge bc i dont have enough room,nor do i want to buy one bc i want them to be displayed in a nice cabinet. I guess what im trying to ask is do i have to worry about the juice going bad if i just have them stored on a cabinet with normal room temperature? I just dont want to start collecting and 5-10 years from now, everything smells different or not as good as it use to.

Default Re: Is it worth starting a massive cologne collection?

Yes. Start now. Stored with minimal care, most fragrances will last for many years. By then you can sell many of them online at a handsome profit, if you can bear parting with them. Start your collection now, and you'll be very pleased within just a few years.

Dependent

Will the juice eventually go bad in 5-10 years? Maybe -- but generally no.

Is it worth it? Ask yourself -- IMO, most definitely yes.
    "The most beautiful sea hasnít been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasnít grown up yet. The most beautiful days we havenít seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I havenít said yetÖ"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Blog Entries

Try to get some ideas from this thread: Post a picture of your scents -- some of the collections and storage there are impressive!

Ive already started and im loving it! I buy a new bottle a week. I just ordered terre dhermes today. I do nothing but blind buy based on reviews. it all got started when my gf gave me a cologne sample kit for christmas. I just want to make sure before i REALLY get in to this hobby.

dark, dry, cool - AC if not in a cool basement. i wonder myself if just airconditioned at around 70 is good enough?
    ......... it is a very expensive hobby. and the issues around... first you never know what you will be getting - for batch to batch differences fine, but how about constant reformulations which nobody confesses until it becomes obvious, storage conditions before the bottles reach you...

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    Ive already started and im loving it! I buy a new bottle a week. I just ordered terre dhermes today. I do nothing but blind buy based on reviews. it all got started when my gf gave me a cologne sample kit for christmas. I just want to make sure before i REALLY get in to this hobby.
    i was a blind buy maniac, but i restrained myself on time - the pricetags on amouage and the wide availability on samples made me sample first...... the bottles would look great in a collection but i saved $$$$... way over-rated, way over-priced. you must decide what is more imortant to you - collecting or wearing

Buy smaller bottles of the ones you like (2.5 ml or less) if you plan to collect many, in order to avoid their going bad over time. Storage in cool, dark, low humidity places will extend their life.
    I'm looking forward to hearing your takes on those you buy. I would however advise you to sample before buying...the reviews here are honestly written, but they do reflect the views of the reviewer, and you may not agree with them after having sampled on your own skin and with your own nose. Blind buying based on others' opinions is risky. With that caveat, I welcome you!

Duplicate post, sorry.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Rotating your worn fragrances from a big wardrobe lowers the chance of any fragrance running out on you. With reformulations going the way of consumer electronics, who knows? Your old bottles might just become some much sought-after vintage that's worth a fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    dark, dry, cool - AC if not in a cool basement. i wonder myself if just airconditioned at around 70 is good enough?
    ......... it is a very expensive hobby. and the issues around... first you never know what you will be getting - for batch to batch differences fine, but how about constant reformulations which nobody confesses until it becomes obvious, storage conditions before the bottles reach you...
    By dark, do you mean pitch dark? Would light from a lamp constantly on harm anything? i understand bright sunlight is bad. What if theyre constantly in dimmer lighting?

Pitch dark in a closet would be optimal, if you have one available.

i will definitely sample when i start getting into niche, As for designer fragrances, i dont mind if i buy a dud here or there. A few weeks ago i bought azzaro chrome and i didnt like it. It smelled like the inside of my moms purse lol. But i dont care. Its when i get a bottle of an amazing fragrance that makes it all worth while.

By dark, do you mean pitch dark? Would light from a lamp constantly on harm anything? i understand bright sunlight is bad. What if theyre constantly in dimmer lighting?
    You do not want light at all. The ideal situation is one in which the cabinet closes to complete darkness.

I keep mine in my medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I have one beloved flacon that I may move into the wine fridge, but I think that keeping out light is 90% of the battle.

What sucks is that i have the perfect cabinet for my future colognes, but it doesnt have doors on it that close. I didnt want to buy a new one but if its absolutely necessary then i will

I keep mine in a metal filing cabinet - the type meant for folders and paperwork. The thick metal provides insulation, and it is ever dark and cool, without sudden shifts in temperature.

I've got splash bottles from the 50s that are fine. Just keep them out of direct sunlight.

I want to start collecting colognes. I like collecting the bottles. I love the journeys each new scent i smell takes me on. I want to get my nose under every cologne thats talked about. I really want to do this, but theres only one thing im scared of.. The juice going bad! I dont want to store them in my fridge bc i dont have enough room,nor do i want to buy one bc i want them to be displayed in a nice cabinet. I guess what im trying to ask is do i have to worry about the juice going bad if i just have them stored on a cabinet with normal room temperature? I just dont want to start collecting and 5-10 years from now, everything smells different or not as good as it use to.
    I think it's a great idea if you are that passionate about it. Proper care and they'll last a very very long time.

Pretty simple rule for yourself is don't buy a full bottle of something your not going to be wearing on a regular basis. There's many fantastic smelling fragrances out there, but if you can't find a setting or aren't comfortable in wearing them then your just blowing your money on a pretty bottle. If your worried about the fragrances staying fresh long enough for you to go through a full bottle, then you probably have too many bottles.
    As far as storing them, just keep them at or around a fairly consistent room temperature out of direct sunlight and they should be fine. Don't bother with keeping them in a fridge as there's nothing that proves it prolongs any part of the fragrance.
    Last edited by silentrich; 18th April 2012 at 03:40 AM.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

With reformulations and discontinuations, I'm much more concerned that scents I love will become hard or impossible to buy compared to the fear of fragrances I own going bad. Keep 'em out of light and away from extreme temps, and you should be fine.

I sleep better knowing I have a good amount of the scents I love. Many of these will be with me for years to come.

I have bottles I bought in the eighties that are still good. The top notes may not be what they once were, but the heart notes and base notes are still as great as they were years ago. I've always kept them from direct sunlight and heat but other than that I've never taken special measures to keep them in complete darkness. If I had the space for a nice cabinet with closing doors for my collection I would probably have one. But, to actually answer your question, yes I think it is very much worth starting a nice size collection.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Life is too short to not have a fragrance collection!

Martin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think it's a great idea if you are that passionate about it. Proper care and they'll last a very very long time.
    This advice is from an exceptional collector in his own right ^^^^^^^^

Basenotes Plus

WELCOME FRAGNIFISCENT!

If collecting scents makes you happy, then go for it! If you really want to use your cabinet without doors, look for some baskets or boxes with lids at a container store or discount store that are the same width or less than the cabinet shelf. Store your most precious scents (most $$$ or rare) in those to keep them away from direct sunlight.

Good luck to you, enjoy your journey!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Guerlainista

This is kind of like asking a bunch of foxes whether it's worth it to raid henhouses.

If you like them, then go for it. I would second those who suggest only buying bottles only after trying decants. Otherwise you wiill end up with many bottles you don't really want.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What'd you expect coming here to a bunch of fragrance collectors of course it's worth it! The fact this website exists proves the fact. You're scared of losing fragrances now, but in time even they will be replaced, and the truly great will remain seated. Best not to think to much and follow your mind and nose.

NO! Buy three bottles of things you adore and open an IRA.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    You do not want light at all. The ideal situation is one in which the cabinet closes to complete darkness.

I keep mine in my medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I have one beloved flacon that I may move into the wine fridge, but I think that keeping out light is 90% of the battle.
    I don't want to put you off but a bathroom is one of the worst places to store fragrances due to the constant temperature difference highs and lows.

I keep my fragrances in a dark room environment,inside their boxes, light NEVER reaches them.
    I am not quite sure about the efficiency of a Fridge, what I know well is that fragrances can not stand:

- Light;
    - Humidit;
    - Abrupt temperature variations;

I agree that it will be visually more interesting to display them out of their boxes, however for the sake of their own protection, they are all obliged to remain inside their original boxes
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 18th April 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I don't want to put you off but a bathroom is one of the worst places to store fragrances due to the constant temperature difference highs and lows.
    I thought so too when I read his comment. Not only that, but the humidity from the shower deters me from storing my fragrances there...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    can you elaborate on "constant reformulations" please?

I keep mine on my dresser in the bedroom. The curtains are generally closed and little light enters. Temp in the house is pretty moderate. Is the ok...I have never had an issue but now that Im adding more expensive stuff I dont want to chance it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post

Martin
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post

Martin
    My scentiments exactly.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

No, don't build up a big collection. Seriously.

It's expensive.
    You won't use or finish the scents much - you'll just be obsessed with purchasing the next on (that's like a mental illness or addiction).
    You'll make bad decisions and buy stuff you'll never wear.
    You'll end up storing them in fridges (horrible!) because you will become paranoid about the juice going off... even though you may think you'll be carefree about it now.
    You'll want to rotate them - that's like another mental illness and an irritation.

This stuff is for wearing - not displaying in cabinets or out of sight in carefully stored boxes or fridges. Have a modest collection instead - no more than 10 -15 or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Pretty simple rule for yourself is don't buy a full bottle of something your not going to be wearing on a regular basis. There's many fantastic smelling fragrances out there, but if you can't find a setting or aren't comfortable in wearing them then your just blowing your money on a pretty bottle. If your worried about the fragrances staying fresh long enough for you to go through a full bottle, then you probably have too many bottles.
    As far as storing them, just keep them at or around a fairly consistent room temperature out of direct sunlight and they should be fine. Don't bother with keeping them in a fridge as there's nothing that proves it prolongs any part of the fragrance.
    Agree.

test, test, test
    not too many blind buys
    I have around 50 and only will be using 20ish. dont buy anything just to have it. wear it, test it and after 2-3 applications and you still love it, buy it. and maybe just by decants and 30ML bottles, it saves money
    ďArenít you a little short for a stormtrooper?Ē

I started this thread when I first started getting into fragrances. I have a decent collection right now,and it will continue to grow, but instead of blind buying like I use to, I am getting samples of every fragrance that I can think of, and only buying the bottles I absolutely love. So basically, I buy samples for the new experiences and the journey, and i buy the bottles that I absolutely love for wearing and collecting purposes.

Sure, nothing wrong with a nice collection. However you want to be discriminating. On the designer side there are diamonds in the rough to be found and cherished, but don't go buying every sports flanker that is hyped or you will be looking at 50 bottles of crap in a years time. On the niche side find out what you like and get the best you can. If you collect the masterpieces to your nose. You will not lose reverence for your collection over time. I would say 10 designer and 20 niche will make for a very dynamic and enjoyable collection if you test diligently and are picky in your selections.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Most likely, the scents will not go bad in 5-10.

My suggestion would be to build up a collection only if you feel like it,
    however, at first and for immediate fragrance use, even a rotation of 5-6
    scents, 10 at most would do. I guess that, IMO, a collection of more than
    10 fragrances is anyway a luxury, a pleasant, but not 100% necessary hobby.

However, the aforementioned figures are to be taken with a grain of salt...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Honestly, the idea that fragrances go bad in three years is purely a myth.

They only go bad if you dont take care of them.

I have a bottle of polo blue that i got in 2004. Its about 1/3 full now and its as good as ever.

Dependent

depends on person. for me know i just end up selling ones i dont enjoy ive learned just find the ones i love an stick with those
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I don't even by bottles anymore. I just take atomizers to the department stores to fill them up.

Before I got too carried away, I made a decision not to buy full bottles if decants or mini's were available. And then to limit myself to 3-4 decants per month. And a decision not to keep wishlists(so as not to spend too much time obsessing over the next purchase.) For me (and my OCD), it is sort of fine line between enjoying a hobby and getting burned out.

On the other hand, do not worry too much about it. You have got to learn to enjoy some things in life:-)

Is this post about starting a massive collection or where to store the juice??

- - - Updated - - -

Never, ever blind buy just by reviews, when I started I was told to sample, sample, sample...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    NO! Buy three bottles of things you adore and open an IRA.
    Now that's funny

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Honestly, the idea that fragrances go bad in three years is purely a myth.
    Except for computers
    Last edited by silverbullet; 28th September 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmshrinker View Post
    can you elaborate on "constant reformulations" please?
    The IFRA regulations were not just one set of regulations that happened one time : as the years pass they continue to put out further lists of restricted materials and lists of ingredient concentrations that cannot be exceeded. I wish I was better able to remember the thread here on Basenotes, as it had a link to the article, but within the last couple of months there was yet another list of restrictions released.

While we sometimes find threads on Basenotes, complaining about the reformulation of particularly well-loved fragrances, I suspect if we knew the real truth, we would find that a massive number of fragrances are being reformulated, not just once but several times, in response to each new set of regulations.