Code of Conduct

Default The burnt candle!?

So we all know the unmistakable smell of a blown out candle. But how many of you actually like it? I find it very exotic and vulgar, but at the same time pleasant and nostalgic e.g. "happy birthday!" I'd love to have it be the central characteristics of a perfume. But, how could I replicate this scent? It's chemical makeup is probably not as linear as it's tenacious one-note odour. Do any aroma chemicals or common place essential oils remind you of that "burnt wick on a candle" smell?

Default Re: The burnt candle!?

I am no expert in making perfumes, but CDG2 man has a prominent burnt candle note. I don't know how it is made, but I think I remember some discussions that it is some aldehyde.

cacio

That brief smell makes me nauseous and defeats the purpose of having burnt the candle in the first place.

I usually like unconventional smells but dislike that brazen puff.

for swap/sale:

you can try a combination of Frankincense and Aldehyde C9
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I am no expert in making perfumes, but CDG2 man has a prominent burnt candle note. I don't know how it is made, but I think I remember some discussions that it is some aldehyde. cacio

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    you can try a combination of Frankincense and Aldehyde C9
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into C9. Sounds promising. Was thinking a little about a Oud C9 mix. Would Oud work? I've never used the EO.
    Last edited by magicart87; 18th April 2012 at 04:27 PM.

hi cacio,

any update about burnt candle wax in a perfume bottle? in the world of perfumery your name stands out as the one having the most well-trained nose in the scent industry here in basenotes so what is your most updated take on this. please let us know asap please.