Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon's fragrances

I'm working my way through a sample of Penhaligon's fragrances I got on ebay. Love the little tin they came in and the royal seals stamped on the cover (I'm a sucker for anything royal or british). Anyone have a favorite fragrance from this house? I leaning towards the Cornubia right now, it feels really elegant to me. Really like the Blenheim Bouquet, too, even though it's a man's fragrance. It's not so wrong is it?!

Banned

Default Re: Penhaligon's fragrances

Marketing determines the placement of the fragrances for sale.
    If the scent appeals to you, then enjoy it!

I like Violetta, just halfway between sweet Chowder mints and woodier violet leaves. Instant Belle epoque dandy. I didn't find anything I really love among the others. The newer ones seem to have moved into a more modern territory thanks to in-demand perfumers (notably Duchafour); no love yet for any of them (Opus 1870, Amaranthine, Sartorial, Juniper Sling), but at least there's a little more excitement. Some people here really love Sartorial.

cacio.

Artemisia is a great fragrance. It is marketed as female, but totally unisex imo.

I personally find Sartorial to be one of the very (very) few Penhaligon's worth owning.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sartorial
    Hammam Bouquet - a historic powdery rose
    Duro is a very nice cologne for the summer

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

Not a fan of the house in general, but Sartorial probably is my favorite.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Have tried a few but haven't found one I really liked yet.

I have tried most of their range and I like Opus 1870 the best as I like how the rose and cedar wood come together.

I've only tried English Fern (which I quite like) and Douro (which is a bit candy-like for my taste). Opus 1870 is high on my to-test list, though.

I love LP No. 9

Santorial is the only one I've liked so far.

My very favorite from Pen's is the sadly discontinued Victorian Posy. I also love Bluebell, Night-Scented Stock and Artemisia. Orange Blossom is very pretty but it isn't orange blossom. It's just a well done white flower floriental with a wonderful sheer quality that makes it work well in summer. Lots of ladies are already wearing Blenheim Bouquet, so you'll be in excellent company! It's really lovely. Lily & Spice is gorgeous. Honestly, I like most of the line; some are just more "me" than others. Cornubia is one of the 2 or 3 scents I haven't tried from the line but have heard wonderful things about. I'll bet that tin is adorable! What a great e-bay find!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

Sartorial is my favorite, also. Wearing it today!

Lavandula

I think Cornubia is gorgeous and Lily & Spice is very good.

I must try the new fragrances from the last year or so, although my bank balance may not thank me for it!

Blenheim Bouquet is lovely, and a woman can most certainly wear it. It is one of my favorites from the line. I think the line fits the company image very well, they do seem British and proper frags, and I like many of them.

I think most Pen's are a bit lackluster, but Opus 1870 is not just a great Penhaligon's, but a great fragrance in general. Nursing my sample until I buy a FB on Friday. Sartorial is nice, and some like Endymion. Just a heads-up, if you email Penhaligon's, they may send you (a very generous) selection of samples.

My very first niche fragrance is Penhaligon's English Fern, and I love it! It has a rather refined sensibility, perhaps a little old-school, but old-school enough to be classic and timeless. As a classic fougère, I can see its resemblance to the (fantasy) fern accord that I cannot discern in more modern fougères, the fern accord itself being buried under all the spice and other accords. In Singapore's warm climate, English Fern works as a very nice 'fresh' fragrance that is very different from the hordes of aquatics and sporty fragrances from the designer brands.

I also like Sartorial (a most modern fougère), but preferred English Fern which was to be my first buy. My second was Castile, which I again like for its refined sensibility. This gives me a clean, calm feel. I think several other fragrances (Douro, Opus 1870, Blenheim Bouquet) are all worth a try.

Perhaps Penhaligon's is not as fancy and exciting as some other houses, but I believe this house has its own charm and thus admirers of its fragrances.

Triple Posted. Apologies.

Quadruple Posted. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Sartorial
    Hammam Bouquet - a historic powdery rose
    Duro is a very nice cologne for the summer
    Well, I'm glad at least someone seems to like HB! Just blindly purchased a bottle. Price was too good to not to and it sounds rather interesting.

I have sampled most of them and own a couple, but the best one by far is Castile.

I think Hammam Bouquet is beautiful, too. Truly unique. Good purchase, Russel!

And has no one mentioned Elixir yet? We had a Penhaligon's sample pass awhile back and it got quite a bit of love. Very sheer, spicy oriental which is perfectly unisex. Another lovely one.

Opus is great, but I wish it lasted longer...it tends to fade after a few hours.

From Penhaligons, I simply adore Blenheim Bouquet, Opus 1870 and Endymion

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I think Hammam Bouquet is beautiful, too. Truly unique. Good purchase, Russel!

And has no one mentioned Elixir yet? We had a Penhaligon's sample pass awhile back and it got quite a bit of love. Very sheer, spicy oriental which is perfectly unisex. Another lovely one.
    Thanks! It is very nice and I enjoyed it so far.

I'm another fan of their Lily & Spice (50% off online in the UK at the mo!), but you really do have to like oriental lilies to love this! Half the time I'm too scared to wear it in public because I know how some people hate the smell of them. The one I liked from the sample tin was Racquets Formula because of the lovely musky incense drydown.
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

I haven't yet found one that I like enough to own, but I thought it was interesting that Quercus smells exactly like CK One (at least to me).

Blog Entries

Another vote for Sartorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Thanks! It is very nice and I enjoyed it so far.
    Russel, I'm very glad to hear you're enjoying Hammam Bouquet! It's not what I would call a safe blind buy but then again, bb's never are safe and it doesn't stop me, either! HB is a delight, has a special place in my heart. It's just so darned loveable! Glad to see it gathering new fans, really want to see it stay in production for many more years.

Douro.

Really enjoying a sample of Endymion right now. It's got the perfect coffee note - warm, rich, but subtle, unlike the burnt, "Starbucks"-like note in New Haarlem, for example.