Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Best choice based on projection/longevity/appeal?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spirituese Double Vanille

14 50.00%
  • Gourmand Coquin

2 7.14%
  • Cuir Beluga

12 42.86%

Default Help with my next Guerlain purhcase!

When I ordered my bottles of LIDGE from Guerlain Canada the lovely SA's decided to give me all of the samples that I requested. I have been swooned by Cuir Beluga, Spiriteuse Double Vanille, and Gourmand Coquin. I don't want to break the bank and get all three, which leads me to ask the community for help once again. Which one has the best projection/longevity/appeal for a college student?

Default Re: Help with my next Guerlain purhcase!

double vanille

To me Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a borderline perfect fragrance. Lasts forever, evolves and unfolds very slowly. It's such a classy vanilla, hell, I'm wearing it with jeans and a t-shirt right now, and it works very well. It's not a projection monster by any means, but it leaves a nice, close scent cloud around you all day and evening.

Another guy once came up to me and gave me a man-hug. He looked at me like it was Christmas day, and said "you smell like... comfort."

That was one of the best compliments I ever got. Everytime I wear it, I feel amazing all day. You can't wear it everyday though.

Why not buy decants? That way you can own all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by UNCAlumni2009 View Post
    Why not buy decants? That way you can own all of them!
    the bottles are too purty, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    the bottles are too purty, bro.
    True!

Banned

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain - Upon application, one is treated to an entrancing melange. Sweet, orangey mandarin, along with its lovely, soft, floral hints, commingles with an everlasting flower, which proffers its syrupy, herbaceous, hay-like sweetness. And, magical aldehydes lift the captivating blend, adding an effervescence to the citrus and luster to the floral, as well as a soft, vanillin undercurrent. A burnt-sugar phantom can be sensed. Transitioning to the heart, heliotrope shrouds the opening with its cherry-vanilla and faintly almond aroma and powdery aspect. A luxurious and sensual, Spanish-leather illusion, reminiscent of the spice, citrus and floral components used in its tanning process, serves as a light underpinning for the delicate heliotrope. Segueing to the warm base, a sweet, almost creamy and floury vanilla, an aroma somewhat akin to vanilla custard combining with a pastry delicacy, interplays with a balsamic and warm amber. The sumptuous leather is still in the background. And, an impressive drydown ensues. This select and demurely elegant composition is a cool-weather, unisex scent, with average projection and good longevity, 8-10 hours.

There all great, but right now I'm just loving SDV. I recently purchased a new bottle and yes it's gorgeous too. I love the Guerlain Line and SDV is one of the best fragrances I have ever smelled.

Derby. It comes in that ugly wooden bottle, but it's a great scent.

Another vote for SDV, too.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Spiriteuse Double Vanille

Just sampled quite a few Guerlains and SDV is tops. I liked Tonka Imperial as well.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

+1 SDV
    and get samples of:
    - Tonka Imperiale
    - Boid d'Armenie

You should also get samples of Tonka Imperiale before you decide on SDV. I love them both and I also adore Cuir Beluga which is more subtle though.

Tonka Imperiale is my favorite from Guerlain. SDV is also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Derby. It comes in that ugly wooden bottle, but it's a great scent.

Another vote for SDV, too.
    I agree with Primrose. Derby is one of the greats!

Heritage would be another for me. Good luck!!!

ps- Cuir Beluga sure is beautiful though!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Derby.
    This!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Default Battle of the Guerlain's: Cuir Beluga vs. Gourmand Coquin vs. Spiriteuse Double Vanille

I've been trying to pick a winner from all of these and damn I just can't make up my mind. They are all soooooo goood. Ok FragComm what are your thoughts on each of these based on these longevity/projection/appeal? Help this poor fool pick just one before he gets all three and goes for broke!
    Last edited by thegoon24; 18th April 2012 at 11:26 PM.

Default Re: Battle of the Guerlain's: Cuir Beluga vs. Gourmand Coquin vs. Spiriteuse Double Vanille

For me, Spiriteuse Double Vanille is the best.

Default Re: Battle of the Guerlain's: Cuir Beluga vs. Gourmand Coquin vs. Spiriteuse Double Vanille

You can get all three and give me the Double Vanille. .
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    You can get all three and give me the Double Vanille. .

Haha, I see where this is going :P

SDV by a longshot.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have and wear all three. For me, there is no contest: Spiriteuse Double Vanille.

Sdv.

Sdv...

Sdv
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Cuir Beluga .... It smells of butterscotch rum and suede
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Banned

My response hasn't changed since your quite similar, April 16, 2012 Thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/299...rlain-purhcase!

Help this poor fool pick just one before he gets all three and goes for broke!

I'd say Cuir Beluga.
    It appealed to me because it smelled uniquely Guerlain.

for swap/sale:

No contest, Spiriteuse Double Vanille hands down

In your case I would choose Spiritueuse double vanille, you won't be dissapointed imo.
    In mine, I'm going with cuir béluga soon enough cause I already have spiritueuse and been delaying the purchase for a year now..
    Cuir béluga is more subtle but has that very nice aura in close quarter, to me it's more refined and elegant, never to sweet also warm and inviting.
    If you want more people to notice you smell nice, SDV is more effective I think. It's also sweeter and might project more. When I'm out I'm pretty sure I'll replace it..
    Both are great!

Or you can just, break the bank and get these 2!
    Just kidding, choose wisely if you must

I don't know Gourmand coquin. And I only superficially tested SDV - didn't impress me much.
    While Cuir Beluga is not that earthshaking either imo it is a very nice scent and its longevity is impressive. Just seems to last forever.

PD: did you try Arsène Lupin Dandy? Or Chamade Homme? Much more interesting than the ones you mentioned imo...

Wow I'm the first who voted Gourmand Coquin. It's an intoxicating classy chocolate spiced rum. Delicious! I'm surprised nobody else voted for it! I want it, and would have gotten it a long time ago if it were more affordable, for a gourmand. It's also classified as a Female fragrance too, not that I care.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is intoxicating, but as notes not an everyday pleasure. Cuir Beluga is comfort and beauty and I wear it very often, day and night.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is intoxicating, but as notes not an everyday pleasure. Cuir Beluga is beauty and comfort and can be worn all the time.