Code of Conduct

Thread: House of JOOP!

Hillaire

Default House of JOOP!

I love under-appreciated perfumes, as many of you know. But I am just now rediscovering the greatness of JOOP!
    When I was a girl, everyone in Berlin smelled like JOOP! original, and I wore it, too. But as I matured into more hard-nosed perfumism, I left JOOP! behind, dismissing it as a teeny-bopper scent.
    However, I have begun wearing it again, and I think it's one of the great chypres of the eighties. It's full, sweet, aldehydic, and it has a fabulous tobacco note. This may sound barking, but it reminds me quite a bit of the original Habit Rouge edp in its smoky, citric, sweet dustiness.

I don't know all the other scents from the line, though. Except Berlin, Nightflight, Men's JOOP!,And the Rococo duo (all very good). Is the house good on the whole? Do you have any other recommendations for me?
    Does anyone know if the original suffered a reformulation?
    Any other lovers of JOOP!?

Default Re: House of JOOP!

I love Joop!, especially Joop! Femme. It's a truely underrated fragrance which is so luxurious & surprises me everytime I wear it.

I didn't get to try Berlin & really want to try Muse.

I know it's not the same line really, but Joop!'s daughter's perfumes (Jette Joop) are amazing too - a new generation of beautiful Joop! scents.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

*** Double post ***
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

Hi Hilaire,

The only Joop I have tried is Joop Le Bain. I loved it -it's soapy and smooth.
    I would describe it as a very wearable everyday scent such as Cinema or
    Omnia (not that it smells anything like either of these.) I must try another joop someday
    soon.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Blog Entries

I tried this in a dept store. It was a couple of years ago. I thought it had a harsh chemical edge to it. I suppose I should give this another try sometime. I had hoped it would turn into a tobacco chypre like you describe but on me it just stayed high-pitched and sharp. Maybe it has been reformed.

I really like the pink juice of Joop! Homme. It was the signature scent of a dear friend who was away for a while. I smelt it being sprayed in Boots one day and he was immediately present. The power of fragrance eh?

I did enjoy Joop! Femme for a while in he 90s but never wholly loved it

Joop! Femme is my favourite vanilla scent! A sparkling floral aldehylic opening with a creamy and long lasting vanilla dry down. Simply fabulous!

Blog Entries

Cool thread Hilaire!
    I must admit that I have never smelled ANY Joop, but this thread makes me curious. What does Joop mean? Retro-teeny bopper is one of my sub-specialties I think...Before there were really sweet fragrances the teen fragrances were often very well done ala Anais Anais, Nina Ricci and Muguet des Bois by Coty.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I thought Joop! Femme was a very grown up adult fragrance unlike Joop! Homme which is more of a younger man's fragrance. Not a young guy's fragrance note. Young guy's tend to over apply, men apply like a gentleman!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I tried this in a dept store. It was a couple of years ago. I thought it had a harsh chemical edge to it. I suppose I should give this another try sometime. I had hoped it would turn into a tobacco chypre like you describe but on me it just stayed high-pitched and sharp. Maybe it has been reformed.
    Oh, dear! That sounds eerily like a reformulation. Maybe I need to do some sniffing and get to the bottom of this!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    I love Joop!, especially Joop! Femme. It's a truely underrated fragrance which is so luxurious & surprises me everytime I wear it.

I didn't get to try Berlin & really want to try Muse.

I know it's not the same line really, but Joop!'s daughter's perfumes (Jette Joop) are amazing too - a new generation of beautiful Joop! scents.
    Oh, good. I am so glad you brought those up. I have been very curious to try By Night especially. Now I WILL!

Only know Nightflight. Didn't care for it. Nowhere near as awesome as the mighty Cool Water.

I think Joop is much more famous for its masculine fragrances, specially the Joop Homme.
    They made some gems like What About Adam (very high end, fresh oriental with tomato leaf!!!) but long time discontinued, sadly.

I only know Nightflight, my brother has worn it off and on for years, I finally tracked down a bottle online for him for this past Christmas. I still love the smell of it. Joop! Homme and Femme are still on the shelves here, but I never see the other scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Oh, good. I am so glad you brought those up. I have been very curious to try By Night especially. Now I WILL!
    You inspired me to wear By Night! :-)

Definitely try it. Its a long lasting beautiful creamy vanilla musk rose. Dont be put off by how sweet it is at first spray. I love it.

If you see it, try Dark Sapphire. This is beautiful too.
    Last edited by KeLLsTar; 26th April 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Funny enough (for someone who grew up in Germany), I only know two of their scents, "all about eve" (well..as you can tell by my user name!) and Nightflight...Both I like right now..but used to love them. Nightflight is very special because it reminds me of this guy I used to love and All about Eve..well I think it was the first real perfume I ever bought..I must have bought like 2 or 3 bottles,shower gels and lotions just in case..and actually right now it's pretty hard to get. it smells like "Apfel-Strudel"...apples, cinnamon and vanilla..really nice and fresh floriental.

From this house, I think that especially Nightflight and What About Adam are underrated among males scents, Le Bain and Roccoco among female ones (all of the four stunning IMHO)

Hillaire

I am glad folks like Nightflight. I wear it, too (it's a unisex 'clean' smell), and what charms me so much is that it smells just like the soap we used when I was growing up, which was Fa, in the 'blue' bottle. I don't know if Americans know that one? Anyway, it's the good kind of nostalgia, Nightflight, but it's definitely not a wear-to-a-night-out scent. More of a I-smell-like-I-Just-Showered smell.

I really want to try What About Adam as well as What About Eve. Along with Le Bain - that one sounds wonderful.

can I just say that that reading this thread brought back a memory of standing in a department store with a male friend as he tried Joop homme. I don't remember what it smelled like exactly, but it was definitely sweet and there was a lot of chagrined laughter afterward. to be honest I think it smelled good but we found the color and the smell funny for some reason, well the pink is obviously funny.