Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: April 2012 Blind Sniff: Cure for Cold

I've typed in every ingredient I can think of in combination on the ingredient directory, looked up hundreds of perfumes and I'm still nowhere near. I feel quite daft and cannot do a single thing that I am supposed to be doing. The house shall remain filthy and no paperwork is being done.

It doesn't help that my computer is being a slow beast when I want it to be fast. I have just switched from safari to firefox and it seems better. I think BNs gremlin has crawled into my pute.

Hmm...can't wait to find out what it is!

I'm going for another angle... can you tell I'm getting desperate?

What is good for curing colds?

Vitamin C = citrus fruits = oranges/lemons/grapefruits
    Honey and lemon
    Whisky
    Eucalyptus and camphor
    Somewhere hot - could be in the name or the ingredients

Etat Libre D'Orange? An orange... a niche house with nice perfumes needing more attention.... off to see their offerings

Mumsy you are doing great. Keep your british head cool.

It does have nutmeg, rosemary, clove. but not on the note list on the basenotes directory This should narrow the list quite a bit.

I suggest using other directories like fragrantica, or just a google search.

I'm sure you guys can check them and decide which one seems more likely.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 26th April 2012 at 01:49 PM.

We have received another incorrect guess of ELdO Archives 69.

Mumsy, please do not get frustrated. In your #63, A would be a reflection of "somewhere hot".

Please wait for FrouFrou to get up and then you might come up with something.

I don't think Frou Frou is going to get left behind by me at this rate..... lol

She will romp in and solve it straight away I'm sure, but I promise not to blow any gaffs before she's here.

I'm not really frustrated, just over excitable and there is a sleuth in my soul.

What is wrong with PMs? It used to fill in the recipient name but it does not seem to work like that anymore. And it told me Twolf does not exist...
    mumsy you are doing such a great job. Hang in there!

I am just up!
    I was totally overwhelmed with cloves for hours on the A one. Sarispates, it was the blue one, labelled ''A''
    I will have a look again.
    Sorry I was whisked away by the Q last night, I am but a toy in the hands of higher powers.
    I suppose i will have to spray again, but the "über-cloviness'' of this one is a bit daunting to me.
    Let me just wake up a bit and get my nose going.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

DD, I click on the name and go to pm from there, works fine
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Yes, I did that. The problem was when I wanted to PM both hosts at the same time.

Oh...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I like the idea of being a toy in the hands of higher powers.... better not go there.... too early

It smells a bit like Jaisalmar, but Jaisalmar is more incensy and the A more citrussy. Jolly close though.

Over to you Frou Frou. I've got to get the kids... I have done no work whatsoever and must pay for my sins with a complete blast now. Back this-evening and inbetween things. I have a long list of perfumes to check out. I have loads with those ingredients in, but the descriptions just don't match up.

darkdreams has correctly guessed the fragrance

basically, it has lots of spices, citrusy, herbal, resinous with a gourmandic, vanillic base; in line with most of your impressions.

frou, I find the clove thing very curious. Although same thing happens to me with some other fragrances. It has happened to me with osmanthus/apricot in a previous blind sniff. Don't fret.

Well, I am stuck for now.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Sent a last desperate guess, based on what other people smell, I really can smell only cloves! :roll:
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Just popping on for a quick summary of where we got to for definite.

There is a citrus note - which? Bergamot suggested
    Spices - nutmeg and clove
    Herbal - the rosemary and maybe more
    resinous - possibly myrrh, possibly tolu
    gourmand vanillic thing - ? maybe vanillin synthetic, or ?
    No confirmation of any flowers? Possibly a tobacco note suggested
    We are looking for a medicinal note - maybe eucalyptus?
    Woodsy notes - no confirmation of these?

Dutch winter stew was very appropriate - why?
    Very pale juice
    Similar to jaisalmar but not so incensy

IT IS NOT
    Kenzo Jungle l'elephant
    SL filles en aiguilles
    Ava Luxe Kretek (I was going to guess that one too) nor Shisha
    SL Arabie, nor Borneo nor probably any other SL
    Ankh Scents of time
    Safari
    Eldo Archives 69

The name is a reflection of "somewhere hot"

Is there any howling error within here?

The name is a reflection of "somewhere hot"
    this is not quite true but the theme of the fragrance is supposedly somewhere hot.
    although if you swap the word "somewhere" with "something" the sentence I quoted is actually true.

quite a big hint I think.

I give up
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I cannot get the Serge thing off my head. One more squirt for a shot...

we'll get there frou, please don't give up yet.

Now I'm thinking Aesop but no cardamon. Marrakech is hot.

Am I only supposed to name names offline?

in india if you mix "something" with tamarind and butter, you get a classical cold remedy.

I'll keep the hints going every 5 minutes now.

mumsy, I think pm would be better. maybe frou decides to join again after all.

ginger? Aradraka

No, it's pepper? Tamarin pepper rasam? Cayenne pepper

No it's black pepper

the home country of this fragrance is italy.

Gawd.... all the recipes are different....

the name of the fragrance is in latin

Profumums....

Got to take a child to a class aaaaah

black pepper .

I've sent a guess and funnily enough I had ruled it out earlier if it's right.

mumsy, I am not sure that you are using all the notes search options. Did you see that post that the notes are NOT from BN?

I'm sure I'm right.... I've just looked it up

Fragranticas note search wasn't working on my apple mac or on my ipad thing.

mumsy makes a correct guess. congratulations!

the same thing has happened to me in the last blind sniff with parfum d'hermes. I probably didn't get as much correct notes as you either. very well done.

good job, mumsy.

It was on a plate at the end with a silver spoon sticking out. I certainly didn't analyze the smell very well. I had ruled out some notes that were there. I'd better not say yet had I?

Well done, Mumsy!

RingER and Mumsy, you can proceed to the vial B at your leisure, but don't post anything yet.

It would be great if you could use this as a guide, especially for people watching

Sweetness .... ?
    Concentration .... ?
    Niche/designer/mass market .... ?
    Thin or rich .... ?
    Linear or changing .... ?
    Masculine or feminine .... ? ( 0 being most masculine 10 being most feminine, what would you grade ? )
    New or old .... ?
    What do you like about it? ...
    What don't you like about it? ...
    Some notes that stick out most ...
    A small review if you please?

Ok, sending guess for A to Sarispatates!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

going to spritz sample B now!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Ooooh, nice! fresh citrussy topnotes.
    So let me guess a note, bergamot?
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Masculine/feminine 4 I think.
    Am I the only one here now? I'll pipe down a bit if I am.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I like the idea of the Masculine/femine rating, good idea Sarispatates!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Oooh, there's a note coming up which reminds me very much of something in a herb garden, but I can't lay my finger on it
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

yes, it's lavender, but fresh, the fresh leaves crushed between your fingers!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Yep, frou frou has also correctly guessed the first fragrance, which is

Piper Nigrum
    Lorenzo Villoresi

Recalling the Orient and the Arabian markets facing the Mediterranean sea. Aromatic, black pepper in an erotic play with the stimulative scent of nutmeg. The aroma of wild marjoram from Sicily leads to a soft, warm base of ambergris, styrax and myrrh. A hint of red pepper spices this imposing composition.
    Note List:

Topnote: Dill, Anise, Fennel, Peppermint, Citric Notes

Heartnote: Black Pepper, Oregano, Nutmeg, Elemi, Frankincense, Petitgrain, Carnation Leaves, Rosemary

Basenote: Ambergris, Storax, Benzoin, Balsam of Peru, Myrrh, Atlas Cedarwood, Woods
    See mumsy, you even got the inspiration point right. Cut yourself some slack already
    I happen to love this fragrance by the way. The incredible detail and note separation continues to impress me, especially considering how complex the fragrance is.

Good job everyone, on to the vial B!

Well.... ''guessed'''.... It was spelled out really!
    And I still got only some serious cloves, layerd with cloves. Topnotes: cloves, Middlenotes: cloves, and basenotes: Cloves.
    Must be something with my skin!

About Dutch winter stews, I wanted to explain but was whisked off, lots of Dutch winterfood is laced with cloves, nutmeg, etc. or meat, rolled up, with lots of pepper and cloves, tied up and then roasted.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Sample B is becoming very soapy.

I would guess a mass market masculine.
    just a guess you know? Só embarrassing when this turns out to be the penultimate, $200 per 1 oz, niche fragrance....
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Sample B is becoming very soapy.

I would guess a mass market masculine.
    just a guess you know? Só embarrassing when this turns out to be the penultimate, $200 per 1 oz, niche fragrance....
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

OOOh you're off again, so I've scrubbed up and got a tiny pot of coffee this time. I got a headache from over sniffing the last one.

I shall try and relax and think of nothing this time. I had very preconceived ideas that I found difficult to let go of before. It prevented me from smelling what was really there.

Ok... On paper first this time

Double post monster again
    Last edited by mumsy; 27th April 2012 at 08:30 AM.

Lavender
    A soft talcum note like powdery roses
    Violets maybe
    I would say an old fashioned accord
    Maybe a trace of polite musk

Something sour and sharp coming in like wee or aspirin

It's like an old ladies talc

I'm going on skin now....

Sharp entrance to a floral.

Clean laundry of a floral nature but chemical floral
    Last edited by mumsy; 26th April 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: As I go along

I am working till 9 central time now and can not access basenotes except thru my phone which is too laborious to type on. will post my impressions tonite

Powdery with a sharp floral, like a lavender, or violet with a spicy or lemony twang.

Aspirin note more pronounced on skin. It smells like meadowsweet, or maybe hyacinth.

The smell is thin and powdery with no depth.