Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: April 2012 Blind Sniff: Cure for Cold

It's like an auntie perfume but has a soaring fresher fruity laundry note within the powder, maybe orange or mandarin or peach. The floral notes don't sit quite comfortably with the fruity notes, like a bowl of fruit salad curdling the cream.

It is settling down to a quite fresh, fruity floral with talcum tones. It isn't very strong now. There is another note almost like metal.

Back to the paper version... that smells a bit more like lemon sherbet, but is almost gone.

I'm going to squirt again and return to the questions for anyone out there......

Sweetness .... not at the start but gets sweeter
    Concentration .... cologne, isn't strong
    Niche/designer/mass market .... I think mass market (I hope it isn't really expensive)
    Thin or rich .... thin
    Linear or changing .... it changes, but not too much
    Masculine or feminine .... towards masculine on second sniffing, 4ish
    New or old .... old fashioned
    What do you like about it? ... not much, it's clean and fresh though
    What don't you like about it? ... it smells artificial like a laundry freshener
    Some notes that stick out most ... none really stick out

I'm at a loss for a guess yet. I'm going back to the cold remedies, and the only thing I can think of bearing a remote resemblance is maybe lemon and honey as in a lemsip. It could be the vase of hyacinths in the sick room.... The aspirin for the headache maybe
    Last edited by mumsy; 26th April 2012 at 10:20 PM.

I have constantly re-applied this on me and on paper.

I actually like it more and more as I go along. Maybe I am getting desensitized

I think this is a old fashioned classic mans cologne now, I think the citrus start might be grapefruit, or a neroli twangy orange type. It could even just be lemon, but there is possibly a bit of bergamot too. I think the aspirin thing is the edge of a lemony plant like melissa or litsea cubeba or verbena. There is definitely lavender in here I think, but quite a sharp one. I think there is a woody note in here, but again it's sharp like cedar, not like sandalwood. There is a creamy note but it has a twist like fruit, so maybe tonka bean or benzoin.

It's the lemon sherbet thing that gets me to thinking it's not quite straightforwardly cheap perhaps. The longevity is shocking. I also think you are tricking us maybe.

I'm sending a guess and going to bed. See you all in the morning and you'd better have it by then because I cannot concentrate on anything else.... and I have lots to do tomorrow.

mumsy, after reading just one or two of your posts about B, I got an idea in my head. You later post about it being inexpensive made me change my mind, but if it really is what first I thought, you are a genius!

interesting, interesting...
    I find the thin / cologne perception especially curious.

so you think it's a metallic, musky, citrusy, honey-ish fragrance? there are some people that agree with you
    any spices?

To me it seems thin too.
    And the lavendar is quite sharp and ''herb-like''.
    I was away again, and internet here is very slooooowwwww, I need to re-apply. I found the opening very sharp btw.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

To me it seems thin too.
    And the lavendar is quite sharp and ''herb-like''.
    I was away again, and internet here is very slooooowwwww, I need to re-apply. I found the opening very sharp btw.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

and citrussy too by me.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

it's very difficult to post. I hope basenotes is not going down again.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I find it quite sharp, quite thin, quite citrussy with some spices and very liniar.
    And I am getting tired of it.
    I agree with Mumsy, an oldfashioned man's cologne.

(Or a very expensive niche frgrance which is simulating and oldfashined man's cologne..... One never knows now a days....)
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

There is something spicy but I can't pin it down
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Clove? or am I now completely becloved and can't smell anything else anymore ever?
    Nutmeg...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

It reminds me of Old Spice
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Where is everybody?
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I am back home from work, M. and S. are asleep and RIngER is just entering her front door.

Some fragrances have class, others -- brass! (that's about twangy orang-ish metallic lavender -- all words are taken from your posts, ladies!). \\

Mumsy, old-fashioned is the descriptor I was looking forward to seeing. Nobody makes the old-fashioned like the manufacturers of B do (every once in a while, of course).

So I made myself come to the bottom of this thread without reading other's impressions. I will now add my 2 cents on "B"
    The color in this vial is very pale yellow.
    Opening is a straight up citrus, not complex. It’s slightly sweetened, but still has a tart lemon feel. Lemon with a tad of sugar in it. With this there is a resinous feel which brings out comparisons to furniture polish. In just a few seconds, the lavender becomes apparent.
    The dry down starts very quickly as the top notes burn off in a few minutes. There are some floral notes, which initially I thought were Iris (it seemed a little dough-y) but now I’m not detecting anymore. It becomes fainter, powderier and had a touch of something green in the base. Over all, a “clean” fragrance with no staying power. It may be trying to be a modern chypre, but frankly is too weak and boring too pull it off.
    Concentration: EDT or Eau de cologne.
    Masculine/feminine: very unisex -- I'd say 5
    Likely mass market
    It develops from the strong citrus to a faint citrus/lavender/floral over about 1 hour, then I'm hardpressed to smell much of anything.

OK, I am going to read what others thought of this one. There are many citrus-y colognes I like much better than this one. I thought the opening had potential, but then it just fizzled...

Old fashioned, huh....there goes my "trying to be a modern chypre" thoughts...

Sent a guess after Twolf's "old fashioned" comment gave me an idea

It does last quite a long time on me
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Very interesting, F. I have to keep respraying -- this only lasts 30 minutes on my skin. I haven't tried on paper yet. Will do that now....

On my skin easily 4 hours or more!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I'm barking up the wrong tree. I go back to cheap as my hand itches this morning. My guess would not have done that.

I'm going to look at some Avon or suchlike later, but I will be in and out today so will probably chime in later when Frou and Ringer are around.

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Clove? or am I now completely becloved and can't smell anything else anymore ever?
    That is so funny. I read becloved for beloved. How sweet for a newlywed thought I.

I'm having one more guess then I will leave it alone till later..... maybe

I think it is very mass market indeed and for a long time

I'm off out and have just squirted it down my front so I can sniff and drive safely.

Just a quick thought that the citrus edge thing could be lemon with ginger, the green/rose thing could be petitgrain and the rose thing just could be a touch of cheaper geranium. It doesn't smell 'real'. The aspirin note is very pronounced on me and all I can find for that online is salicylic acid.

The alco-citrus opening is a real blast, enough to make me sneeze violently a few times and miss the very fast transition into the lavender edged floral before it shifts to the aspirin. Blink, and you miss this one. It's already got to the creamy drydown as I type.

I already think my last guess is wrong. This is too medicinal floral for just a citrus led cologne.

we had two guesses, 4711 Echt Kolonisch Wasser Müelhens and Histoires de Parfums 1873. both were incorrect.

interestingly only basenotes directory mentions a citrus in the notes of this fragrance, and in no note list to I find lavender. This doesn't mean they are not there, just that not in the note lists. I do get a certain citrus from it, spiked with some spices.
    there is musk though.

geranium is a good guess. famously geranium has a toothpaste smell to it, what else can be like that? apparently that note is the one most people agree on and smell strongly in this fragrance.

I find it amusing you guys think this is almost a conformist fragrance, bland and boring.
    pick yourselves up and Carry On people. you have toppled a controversial fragrance, all you have to do is guess the name

Ok, back for 15 mins. Oh my goodness.... whose reputation have we ruined? They will have to send us all some samples of their others to redeem themselves.

I have been writing notes and trying to smell again from scratch.

Citrus alcoholic blast
    then floral ginger with something rounded and plantlike like geranium but it isn't so rosy as that, so maybe petitgrain, maybe even spearminty.
    Orris-like powder note like lilac.
    Sour note like hyrax wee.
    Like stale powder.
    Very familiar comfort zone smell like great aunties face powder
    Vanilla base-ishy but not quite.
    It is a spicy vanilla but gentle. I think it could be tonka bean.

Here is a sort of summary of another sniffing session

T lemon sherbetty, bergamoty, touch of tangerine, mandarin or orange

M lavenderish or lilac or irissy note, geraniumish rosy rounded lifting note, petitgrainishy, spearminty greeny planty rounded note. A gingeresque sort of spicy note

B coumarinic, greeny vetiver type of vanillic note, an amberish touch and maybe musky

An overall soapy, powdery quality with a laundry uplift.

It is a nice smell but very short lived on me and my paper.

I could just be making all this up and talking a load of rubbish....... I thought I would be so good at this and it's sooooo hard when there are soooooo many frags to choose from.

I have problems posting, base notes won't let me post, this is a test
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Hi Frou, goodie, glad you're here too.

I am none the wiser yet but we have a few leads to work on from Mr P.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post

Some fragrances have class, others -- brass! (that's about twangy orang-ish metallic lavender -- all words are taken from your posts, ladies!). \\

Mumsy, old-fashioned is the descriptor I was looking forward to seeing. Nobody makes the old-fashioned like the manufacturers of B do (every once in a while, of course).

Clues.... but which frag is the mystery? I love this game, it's like a stinky whodunnit.

ethylene brassylate? a synthetic musk - powdery sweet floral ambrette musk woody

It's kind of fougeresque but maybe peppermint....

I'm giving birth to another guess.....

OOOOOH, maybe, I've just looked up it's name...... could be........ is it?

Noooooh. I'm already wrong before I get answered. No Lavender stated in post 147... knickers!

It may be a sister or a brother from the same family maybe?

nope, mumsy as you have realized yourself, it's not acqua di parma. although, there is probably lavender in it even though it's not in the note lists.

Carry On

I will now confirm that mint is in fragrantica note list, and in almost every review in basenotes directory.

here's a method to search for the fragrance. if you googled the following line:
    site:www.basenotes.net mint
    it would show you all the threads&directory entries within basenotes that contain the word "mint". and nothing else. useful tool. in fact if you just add one adjective used within the thread, it pops up immediately in the results.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 27th April 2012 at 03:27 PM.

I hope it isn't this one..... guess firing off

it is also not creed - green valley.
    good guess though

My Class vs Brass comment...... Uhmmmm..... almost every reviewer mentions this slight metallic smell -- which to me smells like a copper penny warmed between the palms.

So, you all seem to think it is a mass market cologne? Let me disappoint you -- it is a designer scent.

Can we all come to some sort of consensus in terms of target audience: women? men? unisex? age group?

All three of you mention some sort of citrus (lemon), but in reality it is another citrus, brassy in color.

And what about that spice (aside from mint, which is herb, and ginger which is not that prominent on this skin)? Lingers? Tingles? Dry?

to further the hints, some would argue that it's actually niche

thanks for the help twolf! I'm terrible at giving hints.

Other citruses mentioned were tangerine, mandarin or orange

Spices mentioned have been ginger and clove so far, but no cloves apparently

It has wavered from mass to designer to mass again

Consensus seems to be all three sniffers thinking slightly more to the male of unisex

I'm having another guess.

If it is what I have guessed, then we are in trouble with the scent police....

well ding, ding!
    we have our first correct guesser. congrats mumsy. you are probably getting all the hints now

I am going in half an hour though... The Q is taking me to the Museum!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I knew it! Trust me to consider a scent mass market, if not actually drugstore, and it turns out to be something totally niche!
    Pfffff!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I did too honeybun.... I think they will live.

The hints are thick and fast from SP and T and I just couldn't see in the dark.

Congratulations to mumsy -- see, all your hard work has resulted in a brilliant guess.

Well done Mumsy! I'm off with these new hints to do some searching.

To help you some, RingER: as per #161 you have reached a consensus -- "slightly more to the male of unisex" -- a wonderfully correct one, too!

Frou, I did not know -- after living there 9 years -- there were museums in DFW area worth of seeing for 5 hours! LOL

I sent a guess, but feeling very unsure. Brassy hint, metal references, but still....could it be?

Is anyone playing this game except for the sniffers? Not that I mind, but I was expecting questions from others.

RingER, I cannot comment on your guess since I do not know what it is.

M., sometimes we have questions from the spectators. Sometimes spectators will PM you individually without posting on a forum with suggestions. We have had three spectator guesses submitted so far: two for A and one for B, all three incorrect.

RingER shoots, and scores! I was totally expecting it after #172
    You can move on to C and take notes, but let's wait for frou before posting.

Congrats ringer!

FrouFrou, you must be doing all DFW museums in one day today, I know......

Congratulations, RingER. After she wrote to me in a PM that "brassy" reference was a major key for her, it should be easy for FrouFrou, I suppose.

What a fun game this is! I couldn't allow dawn to rise on this scent un-identified. I need to get kiddos to bed before I start to analyze "C".

I am following closely here. I got A right but with B, I only had one initial idea based on an early description by mumsy. Given the latest developments, it was probably wrong.
    I am looking forward to finding out what B is. Everyone is great!

Take your time, please. This said, I appreciate your mini reviews -- not just "I got apples!" or "I got sandalwood!" -- but trying to understand and describe a fragrance as a whole. This is a blatantly honest approach, without knowing that a fragrance of the moment comes from a huge successful company (I personally will never forget "synthetic grape-based pop in a men's locker room " about Chanel No.5) or a small and seemingly unimportant manufacturer.

About "niche-ism" of B: S. is right that some people will argue that it is from a designer company.
    1) They do not produce handpurses, shoes, lipstick or underwear or what not.
    2) Their distribution is somewhat limited especially for a handful of their fragrances.
    3) Advertisements are virtually non-existent.
    So, here are your three denominators to be included into the niche sector of the perfume economy. However, price-wise, no matter how unusual and exclusive B might smell, it is comfortably within a bracket of designer scents (one of the spectator's guesses was Chanel Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne, incorrect).

I will be working all day tomorrow, only will check in early in the morning and late at night. PMs are answered though (yes, all by themselves!LOL).

Editing: Hi DD!

RingER, thanks for becoming a paying contributor. People like you keep BN servers going. (*knock on the wood, dummy*)