Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: April 2012 Blind Sniff: Cure for Cold

Saturday morning here and it's 9.25am. All bathed and scrubbed ready for C. I will make notes and not post until Frou has returned.

Good morning, M. Rainy and cold here (38F as opposed to 88F on Tuesday), these yo-yo temps are hard on many bodies.

I've got so many notes for later, that I shall be writing you a book.........

(I mean written notes not smelly notes BTW)

We were down for an hour or so, I know.... *Sigh*

Would any of our readers like to ask our sniffers any questions about B?

back!
    Sorry people, did not realize we were going to be away till late at night.

Yes Mumsy, There's two museums next to each other in Fort Worth, the Museum of Modern Art, and the Kimball, where they have a very nice impressionist exhibition right now which I really wanted to see, and what with lunch, some leisurely strolling, and dinner in FW, and some more strolling, and going to the Barnes & Nobles to look at the new NOOK... And then drive home again, it was a long day!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I have spritzed C!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Good morning all! F - sounds like a very pleasant and relaxing day!
    Rain in Chicago and I'm off to sloooow start this morning. First order of business is caffeine. Will check back soon.

morning all.
    frou have you already guessed B? did I miss something?

Can we do C yet? online I mean?

in 10 minutes mumsy. please ?

I think it's the time difference thing. I am 20 past two in the afternoon and the other guys are all just waking up.

I'm that buzzy bluebottle when you're half asleep.....

ok mumsy. I know you are an anxious lady, so let's go ahead with C. frou can catch us up on the way.

Cloves again...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

No Sarispatates, I will Pm you!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Anxious..... me......? Naaaah, just love a good mystery to solve..... and cannot rest until I have

Frou isn't behind..... she has C on......

I will post my impressions of C when you say so Frou.....

Have to leave, sorry. Been up all morning waiting for you to start. Will be back in about 12 hours.

Any developments on B, FrouFrou? I do not believe you have sent us a guess yet.

I tried to say YES! but BN wouldn't let me comment, I got the gray box again
    Had to open another tab, I think that's the solution.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

YES to your developments of B? What is it, do you think?

Got a guess PM from FrouFrou. Sorry, incorrect.

frou maybe try with another browser? I'm not having any problems over here myself, so it's probably something on your part.
    pleeeease send me that pm

Do you think Frous pute has gone down?

I have "C" on and am scribbling my notes. Let me know when I can start posting!

I say let's go ahead, frou is clearly having problems. I'll edit this post to include the content of Vial B later.

sorry people I have been called away, please go on without me, C is difficult for me anyway as it might be my A sample.
    My note is cloves. are there cloves?
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Here we go on C

First impressions on skin:-

Liquid hot cross bun.
    Warm spicy comfort smell.
    Medium sweet gourmand.
    Soft, well blended.
    Raisins.
    Very slightly 'dry' note, soaring over the top but spicy.
    Cinnamon dough.
    Frankincense/resinous, but gently.
    Benzoiny.
    No sense of a floral yet.
    Tolu balsam type of gentle cinnamonic vanillic resinous quality
    Not getting much citrus here unless it is the dryish note.
    There is a detectable front sharper edge to this, like the crosses part of the hot cross bun, a bit like sourdough. Having trouble identifying it.

7 mins in:-
    The softer aspect of the doughy note is receding and a more citrus lift is coming to the fore, it's too late from the start to be citrus so it might be the citrus side of Frankincense.
    The sweetness isn't as sweet as benzoin on its own.
    I'm hunting for a floral note but I'm not finding one easily amongst the spices, maybe an Isis type of orris, powdery, perhaps this is the pointy bit.

11 mins in:-
    Soft, powdery, creamy, iris, cinnamon, spicy, could feasibly be nutmeg poking out here.
    Overall it is a creamy, nutty smell, very comfort zone and close to the skin.
    The sweetness is receding rather than increasing.
    It isn't a cloying perfume at all, quite fresh dispute the spices and cream.

20 mins in:-
    The floral notes are not obvious. If there is flower, it is very well blended and would be rosy or muguet.
    It is almost like a nutty chocolate flower nutmeg in hot milk.
    As it is staying put for a bit I'm over to paper strip.

On Paper:-

More peppery on paper.
    Orange peel or bitter lemon?
    Something dark green? Galbanum like
    Something brown? Cocoa without sugar?
    Malty? note
    Horlixy milky drink?

Lovely on paper….

Ok, back to the 20 questions….

New or old - could be either
    Men/women - probably a 6 towards women, but could be either
    Concentration - edt?
    Classification - gourmand again?
    This isn't linear, it's quite 'full' till the dry down

New squirt on hand

There is something 'hot' and it isn't a citrus start, it could be more pepper or pimento or pink pepper.
    Definitely spices, maybe coriander, cardamon, nutmeg, they are gentle and soft
    There is a sharp herby thing like thyme, or marjoram and a sweet thing that is like angelica or tolu,
    Any flowers… if so it is a gentle sort of flower, like linden or soft rose co2 not a harsher otto
    The flower is thin and delicate and lovely, not a fat and full one like tuberose sorts.
    I think there is a sandalwood, or cedarwood here
    Maybe an incense like frankincense
    There is an amberish quality to the bottom

I'm going for a first guess....

"C"
    The color is pale yellow, just a tad darker than "B"

The opening is fantastic on this one. I would describe it as a tea flavored with orange, spices (maybe cinnamon) and spiked with booze. Yep, a hot toddy for the cold. There's a sweetness here that could be honey or maybe even myrhh -- a tad medicinal.

It's well blended and complex, not easy to pick out individual notes. I'd be surprised if this is a mass market fragrance.

Sweetness: yes, but not overly sweet. Well blended.
    Concentration: EDP would be my guess
    Niche/Designer/Mass Market: I would say niche. (BUT we haven't sniffed a mass market one yet)
    Linear or changing: Stay tuned! the first hour seems pretty linear though.
    Masculine/Feminine: I like it, but I do tend to like masculine fragrances. I think it tends toward masculine, maybe a 3 on the 1-10 scale.
    New or old: Newer, I think
    What do I like about it: This would be a fantastic cold weather scent. I'm also liking the scent associations I get with this about being cared for by my Nana (grandma) and wrapped in a blanket and given a hot drink to meant to soothe my throat and quiet my cough.

What I don't like about it: There is one note in here that makes my nose wrinkle a bit. I am still trying to decipher it. It's kinda earthy. My notes have ?patchouli ?birch tar . It's not that I don't like it really. It just sorta stands out from the rest of the scent which seems more gourmand to me.

I had a guess as well.

so you guys think this is a sweetish gourmand huh? interesting. not many people think so.
    I'm glad you find this appropriate for the theme. it definitely has curative properties

the guesses made were Frapin - 1270 and Piver - Epices
    both good guesses but incorrect.

Gosh Ringer, we probably need to guess Mass market, but I'm not getting the vibes right here.

I was so sure I had found it then.... even in the pharmacy bottle

by the way you guys have individually or in unison mentioned a lot of the notes in the fragrance. enough to narrow it down to very few fragrances. you're doing great. while it is not mentioned in the fragrantica database, clove is definitely in the fragrance ( eugenol ) and in most other note lists including basenotes directory.

keep at it, name a few ingredients that shout at you and I'll confirm the ones you agree on.

PS: don't assume the fragrances will be niche/designer/mass market.

This reminds me of milky horlix

pink pepper?

Tolu balsam, a cinnamony vanilla creamy note?

I don't know what milky horlix is, sorry.

Notes that jump out at me:
    some sort of booze -- I thought it was cognac
    tea
    cinnamon
    Maybe cocoa, patchouli.

I have to get my kids to baseball and other activities. I really want to figure this out, I'm unable to tear myself away from the puter, but life demands I get some other stuff done. Will check in when I can.

a sweetness -- could be honey

You say its curative and not gourmand?

I'm going to go ahead and confirm cinnamon and honey.
    it is also unisex.

I can not confirm or deny if it's a gourmand or not. But most people do not consider it so.

If you cannot do it now Ringer, I will stop and rejoin you if you like. Say a time from now.

Well, I had to guess first.....

mumsy guesses ayala moriel - epice sauvage and misses.
    I'd like to repeat that clove is not in the fragrantica note list for this fragrance.

We're both saying a drink like cocoa but not sweet
    Both saying orange, one bitter

no cocoa
    no orange
    no patchouli

One more guess before I go.

ringer shoots and scores, ladies and gentlemen.
    congratulations!

Well done ..... I'm still scrabbling..... every time I change one ingredient, the whole list changes.

Well, I've checked lots of ingredients now and I think that guess was right unless there is another scent so similar...

And I'm wrong again.......

mumsy guesses ankh by scents of time but misses very closely.
    if one picks certain 4 notes in fragrantica, only two fragrances have them all. Ankh, and Vial C
    so good guess!

naturally mumsy follows up and scores with her last guess!
    congrats mumsy!

frou, you've got a lot of catching up to do!

At least Frou, you have no pressure now and can do it at your leisure. Except for people all dying to know the answers..... Lol x

Thank you for introducing me to this fabulous game. My nerves are in bits.....

Thank you for the lovely niffs too Mr P.

yes, yes...me...I am dying to know.
    I want to go for a walk and probably won't be able to think about B and C!

Checking in during my lunch break, will be home in about 6 hours.

Thanks for participating, all of you. This C does not have to be mass market, but I have heard it being called "weird". We have some avid wearers of this scent among the ladies here on BN: Tigrushka -- our mod -- will be the biggest fan, I also "do" it once in a blue moon.

Hi. sorry I am having trouble posting, and I was whisked away again by a husband who is more demanding than all my other pets put together.

The cinnamon and pepper are very strong for me, for a while I thought I smelled something like ''wintergreen'' which is an oil also used in many cough remedies.
    Does it have Wintergreen?
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

And I am getting vanilla, as the drydown progesses I am liking it more and more, even with the vanilla.
    I would guess not mass market, I find it unisex.
    Actually rather gourmand, with the strong cinnamon and the vanilla. It was quite sharp in the beginning but mellowing down now.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

It's getting more and more gourmand on my skin, I am smelling honey.

I ahve send in a guess
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

And I am getting vanilla, as the drydown progesses I am liking it more and more, even with the vanilla.
    I would guess not mass market, I find it unisex.
    Actually rather gourmand, with the strong cinnamon and the vanilla. It was quite sharp in the beginning but mellowing down now.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com