Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: April 2012 Blind Sniff: Cure for Cold

Oh, I have read earlier comments I missed before. I am probably completely off again.
    I seem to smell everything wrong
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Hello, hosts and sniffers! Sari, what a creative theme – I love it! And you sniffers are doing a great job!

Like DD, I'm eager to find out what B and C are. I might make a guess or two, just for run.

How about nutmeg, I keep getting this spicy smell in the top notes. I have re-applied,
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

For what it's worth, it smells quite unusual for me and I think it's pretty niche.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Which, given my previous record, probably means it's a drugstore fragrance....
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

How about woods? I smell some woods in the drydown, cedar, sandalwood...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

My guess was wrong. I am flummoxed again
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

besides Ankh, which it isn't I cannot think of anything
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

ok frou. quick confirmation and recap for you. honey, cedar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper are all correct notes. sandalwood is also in the note list. there are not many fragrances that have these notes.

will you go back and guess B as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Hello, hosts and sniffers! Sari, what a creative theme – I love it! And you sniffers are doing a great job!

Like DD, I'm eager to find out what B and C are. I might make a guess or two, just for run.
    haunani, thanks a lot! I don't think it'll be long before frou guesses the fragrances as well, stick around.

Waw, will sen another guess, if it is that one i will be surprised!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Frou frou guesses correctly! A huge concoction to be sure, and a unique one. A fragrance marketed with the sentence:
    "works like a medicine, behaves like a drug"

It's Comme des Garçons "Original Parfum - EDP

One of my favorite fragrances to be sure, and the first fragrance I picked for the theme. I found it interesting that all our sniffers thought it was gourmandic, with varying degrees of sweetness. To me it's bone dry and not gourmand in the least.

Congrats to our sniffers.

---

Frou, for the B here's a recap:

Brass, copper, metal references
    Mint and musk in the notes
    many people get cinnamon and cloves in the fragrance, although neither are in the note lists.
    it is thought to be a "non-conformist" fragrance
    I kept saying Carry On, perhaps as a hint to the company name

Too weird! I am smelling my wrist and it's definitely edible! And such a strong cinnamon! That got me off wrong i supposed, I was só sure there had to be cinnamon in it! I think the drydown is to die for.
    And hmmm... getting hungry here...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Sorry not getting it. And if I enter mint and musk in Fragrantica they say the combination does not exist.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

oh, it does now!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I didn't get anything on a search fro mint and brassy either. I have to go again
    Unfortunately.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

our spectator haunani also guesses the Vial B.
    congrats. It's easy if you've heard of the fragrance.

Thanks, S for such a great collection of scents for us to sniff and decipher. My favorite was definitely CDG and I could see myself wearing it in the winter, especially if I had a cold. Yes, that's probably the power of suggestion. I am going to spritz the last little bit in my sample on my husband to see how I like it on him too! You found a great theme, and all the scents really fit into it well. Kudos to you!

Twolf, your input was certainly invaluable, and I found myself staring at your posts looking for some hidden meanings in there.

As for this experience, I highly recommend being a blind sniffer. You approach a scent without the background of knowing its price, prestige, marketing, reputation and just get to see what YOU think of it. You learn to trust your own sense. Then you get to try to search out reviews and notes of scents that seem similar. I had a great time, and learned a lot.

Mumsy and Frou-frou fellow sniffers and scent detectives -- I raise my glass to you and am glad we had this experience together. CHEERS!

it was a fascinating sniff, I was completely on the wrong track all the time. And ''A'' was just too weird! I never got anything else from it as cloves. I let the hubby smell it and he could only smell cloves.
    I didn't really guess it, it was almost spelled out before I got it.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

it was a fascinating sniff, I was completely on the wrong track all the time. And ''A'' was just too weird! I never got anything else from it as cloves. I let the hubby smell it and he could only smell cloves.
    I didn't really guess it, it was almost spelled out before I got it.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Hi, had to deal with normal life for a while.... cooking and talking to people.... eeeek

I was really surprised and a little taken aback, at actually how difficult it is to get notes when there are absolutely no reference points apart from a title theme. Without that, and some seriously heavy hinting, I just don't think I would have got any.

and finally frou guesses the vial B as well, which was:

Caron L'anarchiste

It was Caron's most modern masculine fragrance right until Yuzu, which really disrupted a great lineup.
    Although the notes don't tell much about the fragrance, every reviewer finds stuff in it not mentioned in the notes.
    I get apple pie, mint, honey, cinnamon, cloves and most definitely a very nice candied orange smell from it. No metal for me, but apparently people do get it even when sniffing blind. A fall favorite of many basenoters, although most are probably males.

I chuckled when mumsy said: "It's like an auntie perfume but has a soaring fresher fruity laundry note within the powder, maybe orange or mandarin or peach." Which was appropriate.

---

This blind sniff was riddled with coughs and sneezes and I can't help feeling it was a bit anti-climactic and less than perfect. I am sorry for the inconveniences and thank you for your participation everyone. I hope everyone got a bit richer in some way out of this experience.

Cheers.

I'm going to go off after this and have some serious practice at guessing notes within a perfume without checking. I thought with all my DIY perfume making, that it would be so easy to recognise each note, but not at all. Once a note has been influenced by the next, it isn't as easy to separate them.

Also, I found it so easy to get really convinced of one thing, such as whether something was cheap or expensive and then prejudge what one thought of the scent accordingly. It's amazingly hard to remain open minded.

A very good lesson or two learned here. Thanks to all the hard work by the hosts.

I was totally convinced I had one of them when I guessed Dsquared2 because it had the apothecary bottle thing going on

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/D...ion-12937.html

then was convinced I was right again with this company because of the meaning of the company name

http://www.fragrantica.com/designers/O-Boticario.html

I thought the theme was very clever and made you think. The card was lovely, the Turkish delights were delightful, and I still get a lot of cinnamon and vanilla from sample C!!!!!!!!!
    Isn't it weird how you can sniff different tings? Not to mention ''A'' the ultimate clove!

I am sorry I was called away so often, I had not expected it, at least not during weekdays.

Thanks to both hosts for bearing with at least one completely bewildered sniffer. I think I have never before been so completely at sea about what I was sniffing, but I also think that this has tought me a lot.
    It really was a special experience.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Two bewildered sniffers..... for sure.....

I certainly felt at sea too.

Now I feel bad for not saying I was bewildered. I was challenged, and I love a challenge. It was a great experience.

Ha! mumsy, remember when I said that after I read two of your early posts I had an idea? I actually thought of CDG. Only you were describing B and C was CDG. However, I still think you are a quite a genius!

Sorry I am just coming home from work. I see everybody has guessed everything -- excellent detective work.

Agree with you about learning how to trust your own nose without any pre-existing parameters.

CDG EdP was my favorite of the three.

Thanks to all.

DD, why do you think I am any kind of genius???? Which evaluation made you think that, if I had the wrong pong each time? I had guessed C as A too and dismissed the final answer to C early on because of someones description of it as being very strong.

I loved this game, but have to admit I found it was more stressy than I thought. It was a bit like being on the Xfactor with a song I hadn't learned properly. Maybe it was because I hadn't played it before, or maybe because we were doing it at different times, and I didn't feel that confident at the times when I was on my todd.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Can a sista get a summary around here? This thread = TLDR

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.