Code of Conduct

Default Which Montale should I get in the 100 ml? Black Aoud or Dark Aoud? 100 ml and 20 ml

I want to buy a full bottle of Montale directly from Montale with the free 20 ml bottle... which one should I get as the 100 ml and which one as the free 20 ml? I'm interested in the Black Aoud and the Dark Aoud... I already have a 3.4 oz bottle of Bond New York Oud which I find similar to Black Aoud... so the question is which one should I get as a 100 ml and which one as the 20 ml? Black Aoud or Dark Aoud?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Banned

Default Re: Which Montale should I get in the 100 ml? Black Aoud or Dark Aoud? 100 ml and 20 ml

these:

Black Aoud by Montale
    - The opening is a fantastic splatter of the harsh, camphoric aoud and a heavy, smooth leather, furnished by the sensual labdanum, wrestling with each other. This moody, thick and syrupy duet percolates and simmers for a time, and in the distance, a faint rose beckons to be recognized. Transitioning to its heart, this rose seemingly usurps the duet, and is joined by its accomplices, patchouli and some other dark fruitiness, to form a intriguing concoction. The aoud here works its magical powers to highlight the rose, not as a pretty and prim rose, but a dusty and dark rose, a rose harbinging a fully fragrant bloom soon to decay. After a time, this transfixing middle yields to the smoothness of the musk and an apparent sandalwood vibe, which may be the tiring aoud, to form its quieting base. The transitions aforementioned do not occur rapidly but develop over hours. Truly, saying this is a sensational adventure is an understatement. The projection and longevity are superior.

&

Red Aoud by Montale - Upon application, an explosion of warm and vibrant, red pepper, coupled with the mustiness of aoud and a lovely, rich, red, fully-bloomed rose, with faint, lemony pixies flitting about, bestir for recognition. This vivacious blend frolics to the middle. Heaps of saffron, with its earthy and dusty floral aspects, tame the adventuresome pepper and rose, aided by a muted, yet biting, anise from the keen cumin, and further assisted by a winsome mysore sandalwood, which imparts its buttery and sweet woodiness. This sensuous melange covorts with the majical aoud, giving rise to hints of an inoffensive powderiness as well as a delicious cocoa, and flows to the awaiting base. Here, in the capable base, as the beautiful rose fades away, the drenched, citrusy greenness of haitian vetiver, empowered by the enabling orris, steps forward to morph the melange aforementioned into a delectable, chocolate drydown. This sexy and potent composition has very good longevity, 10-13 hours, and projection.

Default Re: Which Montale should I get in the 100 ml? Black Aoud or Dark Aoud? 100 ml and 20 ml

Black Aoud - 100ml
    Dark Aoud - 20ml

Dark Aoud 100
    Black Aoud 20

I have a 2ml spray of Dark Aoud and I wonder how anyone can pull it off.
    Smells like a chemical from a factory. Something that shouldn't be worn for sure.

I sent them an email about a order 15 days ago and dont have even a reply until now

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I have a 2ml spray of Dark Aoud and I wonder how anyone can pull it off.
    Smells like a chemical from a factory. Something that shouldn't be worn for sure.

I feel the same with Black Aoud lol.

Between the two, I prefer Black aoud, classic rose-oud combo (and I find it different enough from the Bond one. The Montale is stronger and woodier).

However, I would go for 100ml of Aoud cuir d'arabie and the free 20 of Black Aoud (or Lime aoud, if you prefer a saffrony twist).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I want to buy a full bottle of Montale directly from Montale with the free 20 ml bottle... which one should I get as the 100 ml and which one as the free 20 ml? I'm interested in the Black Aoud and the Dark Aoud... I already have a 3.4 oz bottle of Bond New York Oud which I find similar to Black Aoud... so the question is which one should I get as a 100 ml and which one as the 20 ml? Black Aoud or Dark Aoud?
    Wow, we have very similar tastes. I also have New York Oud and love it, and many on your top list are also on mine. Although there are similarities between New York Oud and Black Aoud the two are still very different. New York Oud has a plum note that makes the scent very different and somewhat "fruitier". I struggled for quite a while to decide what to get from Montale. I ended up getting 100ml of Black Aoud and 20ml of Dark Aoud both with extra concentration. I love them both but the Dark Aoud is not something I reach for. I think you should try Dior Leather Oud at some point too. I think, given your favorites that you would love it!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Get the Black Aoud....and send the NYO over to Shanghai.
    20ml get the Dark Aoud.

100ml of any Montale is too much unless you plan to sell decants of it. Anyway I prefer Dark Aoud over Black Oud, and Aoud Musk over both.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I'm yet to find a Montale that I believe I'd be able to get through 100ml of. Oud Rose Petals is my favourite so far but I just don't know when I'd wear it.

You can't at the moment - the boutique is closed and is changing premises. They're not taking any more orders. It should re-open around mid-May.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    You can't at the moment - the boutique is closed and is changing premises. They're not taking any more orders. It should re-open around mid-May.
    Thank you for letting us know. My bottles of Black Aoud and Cuir d'Arabie are empty and I'm very interested in Dark Aoud from reading here.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Be careful. My free 20ml leaked out and really tore off the gold paint on the can, flaked off big time, ruined the thermal paper receipt but the tissue paper it came in smells great! They have not responded to three emails asking for another one or a price adjustment or anything. They did not confirm that it was extra concentration, but the 100ml that showed up had the black dot on the box. Great scents, no doubt. Customer service, a little screwy if you ask me.

Dark Aoud is good in regular concentration, the extra concentrated version, is powerful , I like both BA and Dark Aoud, but Dark Aoud is more wearable and masculine. Another thing Dark Aoud is all about Sandalwood , so if you dont like sandalwood, I would not suggest DA.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 23rd April 2012 at 08:34 PM.

Dark Oud is very strong. I would go Black.

hands down black oud. it's the undisputed king.

for the 20 ml, try their Blue Amber...another cult classic from their non oudh line.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    hands down black oud. it's the undisputed king.

for the 20 ml, try their Blue Amber...another cult classic from their non oudh line.
    +1 on the Blue Amber, it's delightful!

Skip both -they are closed anyway- and get dior leather oud. It's spectacular.

Black Aoud is the rock star in the line. I'm even rocking the stuff today at work!

Get 100ml of Dark Aoud and 20ml of Oud Cuir D'Arabie...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Black Aoud

THEN . . .

Lime Aoud
    Musk to Musk
    Golden Aoud
    Black Musk
    Oud Cuir d' Arabie
    Dark Aoud

I ended up getting a 100 ml of Black Aoud from Parfum1 and the 7 samples hoping to get dark aoud as one of the sample... turns out no Dark Aoud.... so i still don't know what Dark Aoud smells like????? oh well....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

100ml of Dark Aoud
    20ml of Oud Cuir D'Arabie

I find Black to be really a rose scent in the top.... which lasts for hours... and then more oudy in the mid and base. I like the mid/base a lot... it takes like 4 hours to get there though and I find rose scents really hard for me to wear. Reminds me too much of my grandmother (she was a a total bad ass grandmother but still my grandmother).

Dark feels more focused on the oud note... and Cuir the leather, of course.