Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Fragrance:The Scent of Departure Collection “Around The World In 20 Fragrances"

As I have passed my 50th birthday I have seen many changes. Music has gone from vinyl to digital. Phones have gone from rotary dials to touchscreens. As David Bowie says “Ch-ch-ch-changes”. One of the most important changes has been the affordability of air travel. When I was a young child in the 60’s I traveled vicariously courtesy of the Travel Section of the Sunday newspaper, National Geographic TV specials, and movies about the comedy of travel like “If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium”. Now the world is available to many more people and you don’t have to resort to a whirlwind tour of 10 cities in 10 days.

One of the joys of traveling is that so many places seem to have a unique fragrance which makes them identifiable. It seems Gérald Ghislain, the creative artist behind Histoires de Parfums also seems to be able to couple a scent to a destination. He has created a new 20 fragrance collection called The Scent of Departure. Each entry has the three letter abbreviation of the city it is describing. The other special thing about this collection is that all of the fragrances are $45 for 50mL acrylic encased bottles. This makes for affordable fragrant travel courtesy of our intrepid fragrant tour guide M. Ghislain.

I am extremely happy to be one of the first to have the opportunity to try all 20 of The Scent of Departure fragrances and it is a bit like those whirlwind tours described in “If It’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium”. I am going to attempt to travel to 20 fragrant destinations over the next five days, four at a time. For those of you who are Histoires de Parfums lovers I can tell you M. Ghislain has pulled off a virtuoso display of perfumery. There are definitely cities I like better than others but this is an amazingly consistent and cohesive collection for the breadth that is present here. All of the fragrances are simple constructions of four to five notes. So come along with me as I whisk my way around the world one fragrance at a time for the next five days.

The start of my trip begins in the city I consider the American Capitol of Perfume, New York. NYC is colloquially called The Big Apple and that is what NYC begins with, a crisp sour apple note. The sour aspects are softened by a floral duo of lilac and rose. This is all placed over a slightly aquatic base.

As I catch my overnight flight at JFK I wake up the next morning in Vienna. VIE takes you to one of the gardens in the city where the smell of grass, mint, and water lilies re-create a morning stroll through the floral beauty. VIE then pivots from a floral to a gourmand as you find yourself with the smell of vanilla and coffee. At first a fresh pastry and dark blend, it turns almost yeasty and bready before the end.

Next we land in Abu Dhabi; Middle Eastern hub of spectacular skyscrapers over ancient history. The brilliant sun is evoked by an equally bright bergamot, at the top of AUH, which is followed by a selection of lightly ozonic notes that feel like sitting on a beach. Jasmine inserts its floral quality in an ethereal way. This is jasmine at its most unobtrusive. Which leaves space for the smell of the market as a deep spicy amber is where AUH comes to rest.

No rest for me as I am off to Singapore. SIN opens with a touch of tart lime and then the slightly watery note of orchids and grass mingle with the tart lime. A light gaiac wood closes out SIN and it floats on the cloud created by the orchids in a way that makes them seem like natural partners.

It’s time for a rest for me but I’ll be back on Monday to continue my journey with another four cities.

http://www.cafleurebon.com/new-fragrance-review-the-scent-of-departure-collection-around-the-world-in-20-fragrances-part-1-readers-choice-draw/

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Fragrance:The Scent of Departure Collection “Around The World In 20 Fragrances"

Thanks for the heads up. There's something dubious in spitting out 20 frags at a time, I tend to like HdP, but clearly there couldn't have been much work in them. Clever idea, but seems like a gimmick to sell stuff to rushed travelers at duty frees. The descriptions sound as uninspiring as they get; NY as a watered down Cool water. But as usual, one has to smell.

I would be offended though if my town was described with those notes. Arabia - we're talking about the land of perfumes. Selection of lightly ozonic notes: the horrid ozonic? Jasmine at its most unobtrusive? (unobtrusive, in the land of 15 spritzes). And finally a (likely) banal spicy ambery drydown. Insulting.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Fragrance:The Scent of Departure Collection “Around The World In 20 Fragrances"

More info:

Gerald Ghislain and Magali Senequier of French niche line Histoires de Parfums have launched The Scent of Departure, “a new collectable line of perfumes dedicated to bring back home one’s unforgettable trip”. Fourteen fragrances make up the initial launch; each is named for the airport code letters of the city that it represents: Paris (CDG), London (LHR), Milan (MIL), New York (NYC), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), Dubai (DXB), Abu Dhabi (AUH), Doha (DOH), Singapore (SIN), Tokyo (TYO), Hong-Kong (HKG), Seoul (ICN) and Bali (DPS).

MIL MILANO ~ “This sweet oriental transports you to the fashion capital of the world. Grace the cobble stones of the Quadrilatero d’Oro as an effortless layer of sensual spices suffuses the senses. The Duomo cathedral is surrounded by sun fruits and white florals. Mesmerized by the breathtaking view of the Last Supper, sweet notes of chocolate, remind you of yummy gelato you had earlier today.”

LHR LONDON ~ “Take a stroll down Hyde Park, a garden created by past Kings and Queens. An invigorating bouquet of pines and leaves wrapped in citrusy fruits remind you of warm Earl Grey tea. An aquatic freesia accord dressed in lotus petals dance down the Serpentine Lake as a Shakespearean jasmine unveils a romance of mossy woods and white musk for a final wink at the London Eye.”

CDG PARIS ~ “Early morning in the Tuileries Garden. The soft air is filled with the charming scent of white flowers and green crispy leaves. In a ray of morning sun, you silently walk under the lime trees and delight in the soothing trail of the rose garden. You look up to the Palais du Louvre glistening under the first sunbeams, behind you the Champs Elysée. All the magic of Paris.”

LAX LOS ANGELES ~ “Welcome to Hollywood! Where stars are born and dreams come true. A fresh breeze of grapefruit and plum take you down Rodeo Drive for a glamorous appeal. Chic yet subtle notes of jasmine and gardenia dance on the Walk of Fame for an addictive heart that pulsates into the night at LA Live. Luxurious santal and amber are wrapped in musk for an edgy twist because this city is no angel.”

NYC NEW YORK ~ “A lovely sunny day in the Big Apple City. The air is filled with the scents of lilac and rose from the vast and majestic Central Park. You are walking along Times Square under the mild and fresh breeze from New York harbour. Enjoy this modern, crisp and invigorating fragrance with sparkling and sourish notes of apple.”

MIA MIAMI ~ “The sun glistens over Ocean Drive, invigorating the senses. A cocktail of warm citrus notes playfully sparkle over the waters of South Beach as warm amber hues dance the night away at the famous Mango’s night club. Your sun kissed skin never felt so good. Fun and spontaneous moments make you feel confident and beautiful, full of life, and ready to take on the world! You just can’t wait to come back.”

DOH DOHA ~ “In a majestic gesture of oriental dance, the sparkling scents of the lemon and the yellow tangerine remind us of an elegant movement towards the sky, Doha reveals a precious olfactory show: a spicy bouquet with jasmine and rose accords merge the opulent and the sensual, like the pearl of the Qatar.”

DXB DUBAI ~ “Futuristic architecture, opulent malls and fascinating life are all a part of this cosmopolitan atmosphere. An intense rose essence from Burj Khalifa is wrapped in light and fresh citrusy accords found on the Jumeirah beach. Your adrenaline surges as you sand ski in the desert and marvel peacefully at the hypnotizing skyline at night. A final extravagant blend of Oud encapsulates this diverse and vibrant city.”

AUH ABU DHABI
    ~ “Intrinsically rich with culture, dazzling Abu Dhabi is an extraordinary fusion of antiquity and modernity. The hustle and bustle of this city is wrapped within luxurious sky-scrapers that overlook the sparkling Arabian Gulf. A brilliant layer of bergamot is felt at the pristine beachfront of Yas Island and like the breathtaking, multi-faceted Saadiyat; light notes of jasmine are enriched by an unforgettable deep trail of amber.”

SIN SINGAPORE ~ “A graceful sunrise over Singapore. You wander through the virgin Rainforest and in the Botanic Garden, while breathing the tender air refreshened by a touch of lime and orchids. You smell the soft symphony of the dew-kissed and freshly cut grass as you pass by the imperial bonzaï trees. Feel the perfect accord of the delightful floral and warm woody scents…”

TYO TOKYO ~ “Embark on an adventure through a city with cutting edge technology and vibrant energy. From afar you can see the Tokyo Tower, a treasure in the midst of invigorating citrus splashes wrapped in a green stem. The Shinjuku Gyoen leads you to an endless field of lotus, freesias and ozonic peonies, creating a light and fresh heart. Meiji Jingu and Asakusa Shrines trail with white musk, a lasting impression of Japan.”

ICN SEOUL ~ “The miracle of the Han opens with green notes from the dewy leaves that run through the valley on the Cheonggye Stream. Wander into Gwanghwamun and the statue of King Sejong the Great greets you with a peaceful and transparent floral heart. Tour the N Seoul Tower and gaze at the sea of lights as The Moonlight Rainbow Fountain turns the city into a galaxy of twinkling stars.”

HKG HONG KONG ~ “Hop on The Peak and revel in the breathtaking panoramas of the skyline. Towering skyscrapers, lush green valleys and secluded beaches are all a part of this stunning city. In the Lantan Island, The Giant Buddha is surrounded by an array of roses, violets and lilies. A spontaneous layer of fresh fruity accords take you to the Victoria Harbor for a magnificent symphony of lights fused with a fizzy lemon and dazzling pears.”

DPS BALI ~ “Bali, a mysterious oasis filled with majestic temples and pristine reefs. Like ceremonial art form, sun kissed mandarin and fresh lemon sparkle over the Ayung River. A beautiful bouquet of delicate white florals emerges deep within an amber- wooded layer reminiscent of the mystic Ubud village. The final touches of creamy vanilla bring you back to Nusa Dua, as if you had never left.”

The Scent of Departure fragrances are $45 for 50 ml Eau de Toilette.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised to see Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Doha.

Usually you're more inclined to see Dubai only or maybe Abu Dhabi as it is rising on the world map but to include both and Doha seems like overkill.

Maybe Dubai can be further distinguished because of the architecture and futuristic motif.

Ultimately they will all share the same genre. Saffron, rose, oud (both oil and wood), cardamom, coffee and crude oil.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. There's something dubious in spitting out 20 frags at a time, I tend to like HdP, but clearly there couldn't have been much work in them. Clever idea, but seems like a gimmick to sell stuff to rushed travelers at duty frees. The descriptions sound as uninspiring as they get; NY as a watered down Cool water. But as usual, one has to smell.

I would be offended though if my town was described with those notes. Arabia - we're talking about the land of perfumes. Selection of lightly ozonic notes: the horrid ozonic? Jasmine at its most unobtrusive? (unobtrusive, in the land of 15 spritzes). And finally a (likely) banal spicy ambery drydown. Insulting.

cacio
    I agree that some of perfumes don't really match their inspirations.

for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, the whole project sounds a bit silly, expecially for those of us who work for airline companies (anyone?). Seeing those fragrances "trapped" in bag tags it's as appealing as would be for a doctor to see fragrances bottled in drug vials but, from what I read, they're all supposed to sell for less than 50 bucks. Maybe, the quality/price ratio will play its part...let's see.

On the other hand, I don't see any south american city included...?!?! It could have been quite easy to do a Rio De Janeiro or Sao Paolo fragrance...

What about RAK (Marrakesch) or Fez (obviously Fez)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

---
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to pass out here, hedonist, reading that you have reached your 50th birthday! To only find at the end you were quoting..... SMM?

Post Thanks / Like

Where does one buy them from -- samples or full bottles -- any word on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I was about to pass out here, hedonist, reading that you have reached your 50th birthday! To only find at the end you were quoting..... SMM?
    Hahha poor you.
    Yes SMM.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Hahha poor you.
    Yes SMM.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Hahha poor you.
    Yes SMM.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Hahha poor you.
    Yes SMM.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

We need Turin's humor to make justice of these descriptions. Perfume descriptions are usually laughable, but these must win some type of prize.

With the soccer world cup and all the money the local emir is spending to make Qatar a big destination, Doha had to be in.

Re my town, Milan, I am unclear about the relation between the last supper and chocolate, but I am sure there is one; or perhaps somebody's just confused. The notes make it sound like a sort of combo of old discontinued Italian orientals, like Fendis and the like, with the chocolate note of Missoni, plus a white floral note that has no place in the combo.

Do people really sand-ski in Dubai? I'd love to see hedonist sand ski down the local dunes!

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly foreigners sand ski here cacio. If you were to visit I'd make sure you partake in a session .

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how destiny seems to strike at random. I just expressed my reservations a few days ago, and what happens today? I was in NYC and by chance walked by Henri Bendel. Ghislain was there to advertise his collection... it goes without saying, I entered to talk with the guy, buy stuff and have it signed.

I didn't pay too much attention to the scents, nor did I smell them all. the mouilettes are in theme as well, they are shaped like paper airplanes. the one I decided was most interesting was Vienna, almondy helitropin (I'm on a high right now, after Heure Bleue, Jarling, and the vacances hillaire sent around).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I remember filling in an online form for HdP months ago asking for city recommendations and of course told them HKG should be in there - may have even told them how to make it so it should be fun trying some of these. There's a particular Ginger Lily that comes out in the evenings here at certain time of year that is very, very HK, altho Shanghai Tang seem to have cornered the market on that one with their in-store fragrance (I think it is from Givaudan) which has really become their signature.