Code of Conduct

Default Arquiste Aleksandr

Named for the Russian dandy poet Alexandr Pushkin, who died in a duel over a woman (the honor of the man's wife), this scent has leather. (Poor fellow, he was not as good with a pistol as a certain perfumed French nobleman. )

Any experience with this? I am wondering how pronounced the fir note might be.

TOP: Neroli
    MIDDLE: Violet, fir balsam
    BASE: Leather

This is a so-called picture of Pushkin. I am sure that certain French count would be amused! LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pu...Sokolov_P..jpg

(It's a parody of the portrait of Comte d'Orsay by Sir Francis Grant!)

http://www.dandyism.net/shores-complete-dandy/
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd April 2012 at 05:42 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Arquiste Aleksandr

Sounds interesting.

I wonder whether the leather will be brute like Knize Ten or cultured like Cuir Ottoman.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Named for the Russian dandy poet Alexandr Pushkin, who died in a duel over a woman (the honor of the man's wife), this scent has leather. (Poor fellow, he was not as good with a pistol as a certain perfumed French nobleman. )

Any experience with this? I am wondering how pronounced the fir note might be.

TOP: Neroli
    MIDDLE: Violet, fir balsam
    BASE: Leather

This is a so-called picture of Pushkin. I am sure that certain French count would be amused! LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pu...Sokolov_P..jpg

(It's a parody of the portrait of Comte d'Orsay by Sir Francis Grant!)

http://www.dandyism.net/shores-complete-dandy/
    The fir note is not overly pronouned. Aleksandr is all about subtlety, being well balanced with the right proportions. The quality of ingredients are excellent. I bought a bottle after I sampled it. Glad I did.

Here's Octavian's thoughts on Aleksandr:

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...me-review.html

I'm surprised that some here have longevity issues. I'm the guy that bitches the most about low longevity scents, yet I have none with Aleksandr.

For me, Arquiste is an outstanding new company. All six scents are bottle worthy. They use high quality ingredients, and have two great noses. I've noticed here on Basenotes that high quality ingredients don't seem to be too important too some. If your like me, and find high quality ingredients extremely important, then sample all six scents.

Lovers of Xerjoff, By Kilian, Puredistance, Histoires de Parfums, Roja Dove and others that use fine ingredients will enjoy Arquiste.
    Last edited by thebeck; 23rd April 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Tried it and thought it was better than the others in the line I tried but nothing special IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Sounds interesting.

I wonder whether the leather will be brute like Knize Ten or cultured like Cuir Ottoman.
    The leather is more like Cuir Ottoman with even more culture.

It sounds sample-worthy. I like mild leather scents, and a floral leather sounds like something I'd like.

Thank you all for the input.

A sampling is in order for me!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Tried it and thought it was better than the others in the line I tried but nothing special IMO.
    I agree with this. Also I found longevity on the weaker side but I've only given it two test wearings.

I sampled this and it is indeed wonderful. The down-side is the weak sillage and longevity.

A beautiful violet and wood scent.

It didn't grab me either, but it probably merits more testing. I find that the scents that do grab me right away are the ones I usually grow tired of quickly.

This is NOT a powerful leather but it has a definite reserved, buttoned up charm. Proud, very serious and to the point. It is neroli then violets and something soft in the base. It's a dry floral leather in a direct and dry presentation. The leatheryest aspect of this scent is"leather" in the description. I am a fan of the use of neroli+ violet with a leathery or soft base as in Dior Fahrenheit and Alexcandr is in this similar genre that relates to Prada Infusion d' Homme which is more rubbery and fresh; and also similar to Kurkdjian's Absolute pour L' Maitn which is more "fresh" than "leather". I will probably consider a purchase of Alexsandr next time I run the gauntlet at Barney's NY . . . invisibility cloak in place, hands safely around the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    This is NOT a powerful leather but it has a definite reserved, buttoned up charm. Proud, very serious and to the point. It is neroli then violets and something soft in the base. It's a dry floral leather in a direct and dry presentation. The leatheryest aspect of this scent is"leather" in the description. I am a fan of the use of neroli+ violet with a leathery or soft base as in Dior Fahrenheit and Alexcandr is in this similar genre that relates to Prada Infusion d' Homme which is more rubbery and fresh; and also similar to Kurkdjian's Absolute pour L' Maitn which is more "fresh" than "leather". I will probably consider a purchase of Alexsandr next time I run the gauntlet at Barney's NY . . . invisibility cloak in place, hands safely around the wallet.
    I agree, Buzzle, that this does not have whopping sillage. I do detect it from time to time. It is very subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm surprised that some here have longevity issues. I'm the guy that bitches the most about low longevity scents, yet I have none with Aleksandr.
    I wore it yesterday and it's still lingering today, it really sticks around!-- the more I read the forums, the more it seems longevity is really individual-specific for each fragrance.

Octavian's review is extremely evocative, and I fully agree with thebeck that the ingredients being top class really shows.

I love it -- much more than the other purchase made that same day from Barneys which was Odin 03...

Quote Originally Posted by cavorting View Post
    I wore it yesterday and it's still lingering today, it really sticks around!-- the more I read the forums, the more it seems longevity is really individual-specific for each fragrance.

Octavian's review is extremely evocative, and I fully agree with thebeck that the ingredients being top class really shows.

I love it -- much more than the other purchase made that same day from Barneys which was Odin 03...
    I think this is one in my mileage will vary according to the weather.

Yes, a lovely scent. Very elegant, and (dare I say it?) very dandyish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    It didn't grab me either, but it probably merits more testing. I find that the scents that do grab me right away are the ones I usually grow tired of quickly.
    It didn't grab me either. As the day progressed I started enjoying more. I decided to sample another day and the same thing happened. Actually I get the same from the entire line. Arquiste has a way luring you in as the day goes on, rather than grabbing you in the beginning.

Bumping this to generate more discussion.

I find I like this more and more, along with Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur.

I'm dying to test this line. Will do my best to put my nose on their stuff pretty soon...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I agree, this is really the only Arquiste sample that I've kept around. A nice, light spring kind of scent. Kinda soapy (or like a bar of cucumber soap). Obviously nothing earth shattering and this house isn't doing anything exciting with fragrance as far as I'm concerned but anyone curious about the line should start with this one.

Thanks to a nice Basenoter I've finally been able to try this one...well, I'm definitely underwhelmed.

Here's my review....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I've sampled this a couple times and am surprised this is categorized as a masculine. To me its a very light transparent leather. The neroli starts off a little soapy on me which is not bad, and I wish the violet stuck around more, as its what drew me in. The leather is very mild. There's a little sweet spice, nothing over the top, quite prim and proper. Perfect, clean woman's office scent.

To those who think the longevity sucks.... last time I tried it I thought the same thing, but it has a way of roaring up again 3 hours later. I like this for those days when I'm in meetings with a lot of people. It's a little pricey for what it is, seems like it should be priced around $80.

After reading that Yann composed it, I can understand references words such as : Invasion Barbare , refined, reserved buttoned up charm and subtlety.

As long as it projects , I'll be happy.

for swap/sale: