Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shave Soap vs Shave Cream, Shave Foam, Shave Gel

Having just re-entered the world of wet shaving thanks to Gillette Fusion and Trumpers Sandalwood Shave Cream, I was trying to find an explanation of how to use a PalmOlive shave stick when I came across this shaving site by a chap called Bruce.

http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/0...g-soap-sticks/

Reading the various articles, I was surprised to learn that
    a.______ I was a novice,
    b.______ that real wet shavers go for shaving soap and a brush made from boar or preferably badger bristle,
    c.______ that gels and foams aren't much good,
    d.______ that creams are okay for beginners, as they're just watered down versions of shave soap,
    d.______ that Tallow is a very good ingredient to have in shave soap, and
    e.______ that some of the best shave soaps come in stick form, and some are very inexpensive, and
    f.______ that the hard shaving soap is the most economical form of shaving.

Is this news to most of you, or have I just been way out of date?

What do you think of his points?

I must admit that if all I had at my disposal for wet shaving were the spray gels and foams they sell in supermarkets and chemists, I wouldn't be wet shaving now, as it was taking my face about a week to recover from wet shaving. I only ever bought the Trumpers cream because Basenoters here told me it was the best around at the time.
    Regards,
    Renato

Default Re: Shave Soap vs Shave Cream, Shave Foam, Shave Gel

Although when I was younger I used shaving soap with a brush, I now exclusively use foams which have worked fine for me. Will continue to do so.

Strictly a soap and badger-brush man.
    Personally, I don't get on terribly well with creams, but to each their own.
    Badger & Blade website is the Basenotes of wet-shaving. Maybe check them out if you are interested to learn more.

With regards to some of the points raised:

b. Badger hair retains water better than boar, and is softer too.
    c. Gels and foams typically contain chemicals that actually displace water when shaving. Neither can hold a candle to properly prepared lather from a soap or cream. Using a brush to apply lather itself has advantages - it lifts hairs and helps soap get underneath thus improving your shave. Plus, it feels lovely and is exfoliating.
    d. Tallow has its fans. Some people claim it breaks them out. Most soaps contain tallow or glycerine.
    f. Hard, i.e. triple-milled soap does indeed last a long time and is thus economical.
    Last edited by gandhajala; 23rd April 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Although when I was younger I used shaving soap with a brush, I now exclusively use foams which have worked fine for me. Will continue to do so.
    If they work fine and your skin is adapted to them, there is little reason to change that I can see.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Strictly a soap and badger-brush man.
    Personally, I don't get on terribly well with creams, but to each their own.
    Badger & Blade website is the Basenotes of wet-shaving. Maybe check them out if you are interested to learn more.

With regards to some of the points raised:

b. Badger hair retains water better than boar, and is softer too.
    c. Gels and foams typically contain chemicals that actually displace water when shaving. Neither can hold a candle to properly prepared lather from a soap or cream. Using a brush to apply lather itself has advantages - it lifts hairs and helps soap get underneath thus improving your shave. Plus, it feels lovely and is exfoliating.
    d. Tallow has its fans. Some people claim it breaks them out. Most soaps contain tallow or glycerine.
    f. Hard, i.e. triple-milled soap does indeed last a long time and is thus economical.
    Thanks for that, and for your obvious expertise on the matter.

Interesting that you don't get on with creams. While I'm a fan of the Trumper cream, I did try Dr. Lewinn's cream. I seemed to have to use about three times as much as the Trumper one, and didn't get as good a glide as I got from Trumpers.

What soap or soaps have you found best?
    Regards,
    Renato

Hi Renato,

The absolute best shaving soap I've come across is Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge. It produces incredibly thick, creamy, lubricating, moisturising lather. Plus, I'm a big fan of the scent, so that's a bonus. The downside is the price - about twice as much as many other high-end soaps (£20, if I recall correctly). The puck does last a long time though, so you have to decide whether you feel the price is justified. Other soaps I have found work well are those from D.R.Harris and Geo F Trumpers. Factors such as water hardness do play a large part in how well a soap will lather, so, as the saying goes, 'your mileage may vary'.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap has many fans, and Fitjar soaps and creams are also spoken of highly, though I've not tried them personally.

For general wet-shaving information, I'd also recommend checking out Mantic59's videos on YouTube: Truly the guru of shaving, with many great tips and tricks.

Hope that helps somewhat. In the end, much of it (soap vs. cream etc) comes down to personal preference. Only way to know what works well for you is to try out the different options. Good luck and have fun!

Double Post

Hi Renato,

The absolute best shaving soap I've come across is Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge. It produces incredibly thick, creamy, lubricating, moisturising lather. Plus, I'm a big fan of the scent, so that's a bonus. The downside is the price - about twice as much as many other high-end soaps (£20, if I recall correctly). The puck does last a long time though, so you have to decide whether you feel the price is justified. Other soaps I have found work well are those from D.R.Harris and Geo F Trumpers. Factors such as water hardness do play a large part in how well a soap will lather, so, as the saying goes, 'your mileage may vary'.
    Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap has many fans, and Fitjar soaps and creams are also spoken of highly, though I've not tried them personally.

For general wet-shaving information, I'd also recommend checking out Mantic59's videos on YouTube: Truly the guru of shaving, with many great tips and tricks.

Hope that helps somewhat. In the end, much of it (soap vs. cream etc) comes down to personal preference. Only way to know what works well for you is to try out the different options. Good luck and have fun!
    Thanks very much for that. Czech & Speake soap doesn't seem to be available in on-line stores down here, but D.R. Harris is, for about the same price as Trumpers. Mitchells Woolfat is also readily available, but Fitjar isn't.

Anyhow, I've ordered a few more soaps to test out, and have just bought a badger brush - and a boar brush as well. It will be interesting to experiment.

I've been wondering how to account for day to day, occasion to occasion variation in testing out these soaps (i.e. I may not wet my face as well, use water of different temperatures, humid vs non humid days etc). It occurs to me that the best way to do it is to set Trumpers as my standard of good quality, and compare all others against it - that is, put Trumpers on one side of my face, and the new test soap on the other, and use the same blade.
    Cheers,
    Renato

That sounds like a very scientific approach to testing - I like it!
    It is good to try and keep as many variables as possible constant for a fair comparison.
    After a while, you should notice that each soap will lather best under slightly different conditions - some require you to 'load' your brush more heavily than others, some require a tad more water, some work better if you create the lather in bowl first, others can work well for face-lathering, etc.
    You can then simply compare the best lather achievable from one soap with another.
    Do bear in mind also (if you weren't aware) that soaps typically take a little while to break-in. The first few attempts at lathering from a brand new puck may not produce a wonderful result (technique aside).

Have fun experimenting !

Renato,

I suspect Bruce is correct; as is Gandhajala.

My trajectory is the opposite of Hednic - I started with foams, went to gels, and have now been using cream for a little less than a year. I won't be going back.

As a vegetarian I chose an animal free brush from The Body Shop (and the experts will tell me it isn't good enough, but that's okay).

For a cheap cream that I've been using, look in your supermarket for one called, simply, "Shave". It's in a brown box, the cream is in a tube.

That sounds like a very scientific approach to testing - I like it!
    It is good to try and keep as many variables as possible constant for a fair comparison.
    After a while, you should notice that each soap will lather best under slightly different conditions - some require you to 'load' your brush more heavily than others, some require a tad more water, some work better if you create the lather in bowl first, others can work well for face-lathering, etc.
    You can then simply compare the best lather achievable from one soap with another.
    Do bear in mind also (if you weren't aware) that soaps typically take a little while to break-in. The first few attempts at lathering from a brand new puck may not produce a wonderful result (technique aside).

Have fun experimenting !
    Thanks for the advice on soaping.
    I tried the badger brush yesterday for the first time, and my experiment for the day was comparing Gillette Fusion cartridgess to 5 blade cartridges I got from Aldi's called Prince. I shaved half my face with one, and the other half with the other. I couldn't tell the difference - I wonder if one lasts longer than the other long term.

Price difference was $25 for a Fusion 4-pack vs $8 for a Prince 4-pack.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Renato,

I suspect Bruce is correct; as is Gandhajala.

My trajectory is the opposite of Hednic - I started with foams, went to gels, and have now been using cream for a little less than a year. I won't be going back.

As a vegetarian I chose an animal free brush from The Body Shop (and the experts will tell me it isn't good enough, but that's okay).

For a cheap cream that I've been using, look in your supermarket for one called, simply, "Shave". It's in a brown box, the cream is in a tube.
    Funny you should mention "Shave" - I bought it the other day, but haven't tried it yet.

Amazing isn't it - you are finding a $2.50 tube of cream to be heaps better than the foams and gels which cost heaps more.

Interestingly, I tried the Palmolive $2 shave stick they sell in all the supermarkets. It wasn't as good as my Trumpers cream, but I thought it better than Dr. Lewinns shaving cream, which costs heaps more at chemists.

I wouldn't worry too much about a supposedly less good brush. While the badger brush I tried yesterday was nice and soft, I was thinking how much I used to enjoy pummelling my face with my old cheap hard brush.

I've ordered a few of the shave sticks discussed by Bruce from the Shave Shed and Menbiz here in Melbourne. Some can be found on Ebay from the UK where the postage isn't so great. I like the idea of shave sticks as opposed to bowls - I was put off bowls when I read that you have to let them dry out before covering them again.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th April 2012 at 02:32 AM.

I have been interested in possibly exploring this world for a little while now and am happy to report that I took the plunge and am anxiously awaiting delivery of my Merkur Progress adjustable safety razor, pure badger brush and tube of Proraso shave cream.

I recently started using Jack Black's Beard Lube with my Fusion and I really like the lube much better than the foams I have always used. I look forward to the new obsession..... or the new scars. One of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I have been interested in possibly exploring this world for a little while now and am happy to report that I took the plunge and am anxiously awaiting delivery of my Merkur Progress adjustable safety razor, pure badger brush and tube of Proraso shave cream.

I recently started using Jack Black's Beard Lube with my Fusion and I really like the lube much better than the foams I have always used. I look forward to the new obsession..... or the new scars. One of the two.
    Interesting. There seems to be a mixed reaction to Jack Black Beard Lube over at Badger and Blade, good to see it has worked for you. Please let me know how you get on with the Merkur razor, particularly how it compares to Fusion. The crowd at Badger and Blade seem to be heavily into the Double Edged (DE) shaving experience, for logical reasons - one blade shouldn't cause as much aggravation as 5 blades - but that just doesn't seem to be the case with me or with my brother. I'm trying to condition my skin so that one day I can actually use my old Gillette razor again.

Don't forget to have your after shave balm handy after your first DE experience. I've noticed lately that for the occasional nick, a dab of Mennen Skin Bracer followed up with balm on top of it fixes things up quite nicely.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th April 2012 at 08:02 AM.

Let's face it....for most of us, shaving is a real chore!

I think that shaving creams, gels, foams, oils etc, along with single, double, triple blade razors etc, have evolved over time as the need for convenience and speed (to name but two), has increased. (As well as marketing techniques).

For me, it's been a process of chopping and changing over the years, until I've arrived at something I'm happy with.

I'm currently using a Gillette Fusion razor, with Korres Absinthe shaving cream (lovely stuff!) and I'm well pleased with the results.

That doesn't mean I won't be tempted into trying a different razor or cream in the future. Never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    Let's face it....for most of us, shaving is a real chore!

I think that shaving creams, gels, foams, oils etc, along with single, double, triple blade razors etc, have evolved over time as the need for convenience and speed (to name but two), has increased. (As well as marketing techniques).

For me, it's been a process of chopping and changing over the years, until I've arrived at something I'm happy with.

I'm currently using a Gillette Fusion razor, with Korres Absinthe shaving cream (lovely stuff!) and I'm well pleased with the results.

That doesn't mean I won't be tempted into trying a different razor or cream in the future. Never say never.
    Shaving can definitely be a chore if one is in a hurry. For me it was also a bit of a nightmare till 11 years ago when I finally figured out how to get a decent electric shave - it's no fun never knowing whether you are going to look okay after a shave, or have that red, raw look on parts of your face or throat that also sting. Shaving twice a day - in the evening before going out - was something I had to avoid at all costs.

Anyhow, it's good to see you have the matter well in hand, and have plainly settled on a shave cream beyond standard supermarket fare.
    Regards,
    Renato

i use a straight razor, and i've just updated from one with disposable blades to an old and beautiful real blade (and a strop to sharpen it).

if i shaved clean i would certainly go for a wonderfully scented soap and a badge-hair brush; maybe even warm, wet towels, and after shave. but i don't. i have a beard, and shave only two very small patches. so the whole soaping-in procedure is a bit lost here. i use a clear, colourless transparent gel, because i need to see what i am doing.
    Last edited by gido; 26th April 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    i use a straight razor, and i've just updated from one with disposable blades to an old and beautiful real blade (and a strop to sharpen it).

if i shaved clean i would certainly go for a wonderfully scented soap and a badge-hair brush; maybe even warm, wet towels, and after shave. but i don't. i have a beard, and shave only two very small patches. so the whole soaping-in procedure is a bit lost here. i use a clear, colourless transparent gel, because i need to see what i am doing.
    A straight razor! You have my admiration- way too scary for me.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I like Trumpers Almond or Coconut oil cream in a jar along with a badger hair brush. Start out shaving with the grain only at first. Going against the grain under the chin can be a little irritating at first. Also, try using a medium sharp blade when starting out. I use Shark Super Chrome. An extremely sharp blade like Feathers can nick you pretty good if not experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Interesting. There seems to be a mixed reaction to Jack Black Beard Lube over at Badger and Blade, good to see it has worked for you. Please let me know how you get on with the Merkur razor, particularly how it compares to Fusion. The crowd at Badger and Blade seem to be heavily into the Double Edged (DE) shaving experience, for logical reasons - one blade shouldn't cause as much aggravation as 5 blades - but that just doesn't seem to be the case with me or with my brother. I'm trying to condition my skin so that one day I can actually use my old Gillette razor again.

Don't forget to have your after shave balm handy after your first DE experience. I've noticed lately that for the occasional nick, a dab of Mennen Skin Bracer followed up with balm on top of it fixes things up quite nicely.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I used Anthony Logistics shave cream or Jack Black with my Fusion Pro Glide, but when shaving with a DE razor they are a little too thick and can cause the blade to clog rather quickly. But if it works, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok32 View Post
    I like Trumpers Almond or Coconut oil cream in a jar along with a badger hair brush. Start out shaving with the grain only at first. Going against the grain under the chin can be a little irritating at first. Also, try using a medium sharp blade when starting out. I use Shark Super Chrome. An extremely sharp blade like Feathers can nick you pretty good if not experienced.
    Thanks for that.

I'm staying away from DE blades for now, but hope to work my way back to them. You're right about medium sharp blades. When I used to use DE blades before going electric decades ago, I used to hate having to wear in new ones because of all the nicks and cuts. After a weeks use they became okay.

I used and still have Wilkinson Sword blades. No one seems to talk about them much. They seem fantastic at nicking to me.

Shaving against the grain is something I have never done, as for me it's tough enough shaving with the grain.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I used Anthony Logistics shave cream or Jack Black with my Fusion Pro Glide, but when shaving with a DE razor they are a little too thick and can cause the blade to clog rather quickly. But if it works, go for it.
    I've just ordered Jack Black and bought a Fusion Pro Glide. I'm looking forward to testing them.
    Regards,
    Renato

Default Tallow Wasn't My Friend After All.

Contrary to what was I wrote in the opening post, Tallow turned out not to be too friendly to me after all. I related the sad story of my first experience with a Tallow soap at the Blade and Badger site.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...02#post4073702

Plenty of old hands there have chimed in with encouragement, suggesting I hang in there, as the result will be worthwhile.
    Cheers,
    Renato

i should add to my previous post, that the gel i'm using is not that great.

to go into detail: it does keep the skin longer moist, and it makes the slope more slippery (the blade glides better.) it doesn't seem to make the hair any more brittle than it is already when wet. it does have some surfactant qualities, but it's not that good in this respect. it moisturises the skin as well (i think that's the aloe vera, there's a lot of aloe vera extract in this gel) which feels nice and soothing after a shave, it works great to protect against rashes.

i would only recommend this stuff when you need a clear gel, so you can see what you are doing, when you only need to shave partially. it's good against rashes, too.

and, renato, a straight razor is not scary. i virtually never cut myself. it's just a simple technique you need to learn. just don't practice on your face the first couple of times!

the reason i went for the straight razor is the same reason i went for the clear gel, i need to make precision cuts. but if i ever decide to lose the beard, i will certainly continue with the straight razor.
    Last edited by gido; 27th April 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Renato - I enjoyed reading the responses to your post over at B&B.
    I'd agree that it is worth giving the tallow soap a proper chance. In the end though, it comes down to personal preference and what works best for you.
    I find glycerine based soaps provide good slickness, but the lather tends to be quite light and 'thin'. Some people even add an extra couple of drops of glycerine to their lather to produce so-called 'Über Lather'.
    By contrast, tallow soaps tend to produce a much richer, denser, creamier lather that offers great cushioning. I also find tallow quite moisturising. For these reasons, I prefer tallow.

i should add to my previous post, that the gel i'm using is not that great.

to go into detail: it does keep the skin longer moist, and it makes the slope more slippery (the blade glides better.) it doesn't seem to make the hair any more brittle than it is already when wet. it does have some surfactant qualities, but it's not that good in this respect. it moisturises the skin as well (i think that's the aloe vera, there's a lot of aloe vera extract in this gel) which feels nice and soothing after a shave, it works great to protect against rashes.

i would only recommend this stuff when you need a clear gel, so you can see what you are doing, when you only need to shave partially. it's good against rashes, too.

and, renato, a straight razor is not scary. i virtually never cut myself. it's just a simple technique you need to learn. just don't practice on your face the first couple of times!

the reason i went for the straight razor is the same reason i went for the clear gel, i need to make precision cuts. but if i ever decide to lose the beard, i will certainly continue with the straight razor.
    Thanks for that perspective on straight razors.
    If one doesn't practice on a face to start off with - well - where does one do it?

You have to remember, I am using SAFETY razors - and I'm still cutting myself up.
    I just can't see myself faring all that well with a non-safety razor. But I must admit, I've always found them intriguing when a barber uses them on me.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Renato - I enjoyed reading the responses to your post over at B&B.
    I'd agree that it is worth giving the tallow soap a proper chance. In the end though, it comes down to personal preference and what works best for you.
    I find glycerine based soaps provide good slickness, but the lather tends to be quite light and 'thin'. Some people even add an extra couple of drops of glycerine to their lather to produce so-called 'Über Lather'.
    By contrast, tallow soaps tend to produce a much richer, denser, creamier lather that offers great cushioning. I also find tallow quite moisturising. For these reasons, I prefer tallow.
    Thanks for that. They've been very helpful over there, and the comments keep coming.

You now have me very intrigued. Uber Lather - I have a bottle of glycerine in the cupboard which I have no idea what I got it for, but which now suddenly has a reason for being.
    I wonder if glycerine and tallow soap would go well together? This is a world of more variables than I'd thought was the case.
    Cheers,
    Renato

If one doesn't practice on a face to start off with - well - where does one do it?
    i've heard people do start on peaches, but to me that seems rather difficult for starters. the back of the hand (on the edge of the arm) would be good. the skin is a fair bit tougher, the hair cuts easier, and a cut isn't so bad. it's not that difficult, it's all in holding the blade at the right angle, and applying next to no pressure at all. real blades tend to be less sharp than a fresh disposable blade, and (contrary of what some might think now) that's why you should learn it with the latter. it's much easier!

another tip for wet shaving in general, it takes a while for hair to soak up water. it can take a minute or two, or even longer if the hair is rather oily/fatty. soaked hair is more brittle and much easier to cut. if your cream/soap/whatever works well as a surfactant this is less important, but if that's not the case it might be a good idea to wait until the hair has absorbed enough water.

Originally Posted by Renato

Try a balloon!

Inflate and tie off a balloon. Apply cream, foam, gel, soap or whatever over the surface of the balloon and then off you go.....

Have fun!!

i've heard people do start on peaches, but to me that seems rather difficult for starters. the back of the hand (on the edge of the arm) would be good. the skin is a fair bit tougher, the hair cuts easier, and a cut isn't so bad. it's not that difficult, it's all in holding the blade at the right angle, and applying next to no pressure at all. real blades tend to be less sharp than a fresh disposable blade, and (contrary of what some might think now) that's why you should learn it with the latter. it's much easier!

another tip for wet shaving in general, it takes a while for hair to soak up water. it can take a minute or two, or even longer if the hair is rather oily/fatty. soaked hair is more brittle and much easier to cut. if your cream/soap/whatever works well as a surfactant this is less important, but if that's not the case it might be a good idea to wait until the hair has absorbed enough water.
    Thanks for that information. You've inspired me - I just ordered a shavette and 10 blades fom Ebay Hong Kong for $9, to practice with. They were also selling straight edge razors for between 7 and 10 dollars, and strops for $20, but somehow I didn't think the quality would be there given the typical prices of straight edge razors.

The tip on wetting the face/keeping lather on it for several minutes I found several weeks ago, and must admit that in my early days I probably didn't do that.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    Originally Posted by Renato

Try a balloon!

Inflate and tie off a balloon. Apply cream, foam, gel, soap or whatever over the surface of the balloon and then off you go.....

Have fun!!
    Balloons? One would definitely know if one's technique is off.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Balloons? One would definitely know if one's technique is off.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    And without the blood and pain too!!

Had my first shave with my new safety razor earlier. Jack Black's beard lube first then Proraso shave cream applied with a pure badger on top of it. Made two passes and am fairly proud of myself because I only wound up with three weepers. The shave is very close. I think I am going to enjoy this hobby.

However, the Proraso cream was pretty funky smelling. I definitely need to buy a good soap to give that a shot but a better smelling cream is a must.

^^^ Proraso's an 'acquired' smell... they do a mint/white tea version but it's not as good IMO as the regular ol' eucalyptus/menthol one

What got me onto BN's actually was B&B. I've written about my experience many times but the short version is I've found that using a regular ol' razor with 2-4 blades isn't too bad, it's all the pre and post shave, plus good cream and a brush that makes most of the difference. I've got a C&E Jagger (early version, not the new one) and a few tubs of cream from AOS, TOBS, and a few others including proraso tube, plus a few ASB's including the Gentleman's Refinery one... I have a Merkur 34c with Derby's but don't use it much anymore.

as for the OP, I just preferred creams since they're quicker to use IMO (in fairness, soaps probably eventually make better lather but you have to mix it many times to figure out the right proportions), but I do use one soap and it's Tabac, which if I'm not mistaken does have some sort of tallow/fat in it, and it gives a great creamy fatty lather...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Had my first shave with my new safety razor earlier. Jack Black's beard lube first then Proraso shave cream applied with a pure badger on top of it. Made two passes and am fairly proud of myself because I only wound up with three weepers. The shave is very close. I think I am going to enjoy this hobby.

However, the Proraso cream was pretty funky smelling. I definitely need to buy a good soap to give that a shot but a better smelling cream is a must.
    Good to hear it was successful for you.

I have a Trumpers Block of Alum which is meant to be good for nicks, but I didn't find it all that successful for my nicks. Far more effective I've found, is dabbing Mennen Skin Bracer on the affected area, waiting a few minutes, then putting aftershave balm over it. Mennen Skin Bracer contains lots of soothing stuff in it, and doesn't sting like regular aftershave splash.

Proraso isn't a soap like most shave soaps, but rather a hardened cream. I tried a similar Italian hardened cream called Cella last night, which on the container states it has an almond scent. It smelled more like a marzipan extravaganza to me. A very interesting experience.

I've ordered the Beard Lube. Is it meant to be used in conjunction with another soap, or is that your innovation?
    Regards,
    Renato

IMO the 'tub' of Proraso, ie the hard cream is nowhere near as good as the metal TUBE of softened real cream...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    ^^^ Proraso's an 'acquired' smell... they do a mint/white tea version but it's not as good IMO as the regular ol' eucalyptus/menthol one

What got me onto BN's actually was B&B. I've written about my experience many times but the short version is I've found that using a regular ol' razor with 2-4 blades isn't too bad, it's all the pre and post shave, plus good cream and a brush that makes most of the difference. I've got a C&E Jagger (early version, not the new one) and a few tubs of cream from AOS, TOBS, and a few others including proraso tube, plus a few ASB's including the Gentleman's Refinery one... I have a Merkur 34c with Derby's but don't use it much anymore.

as for the OP, I just preferred creams since they're quicker to use IMO (in fairness, soaps probably eventually make better lather but you have to mix it many times to figure out the right proportions), but I do use one soap and it's Tabac, which if I'm not mistaken does have some sort of tallow/fat in it, and it gives a great creamy fatty lather...
    Interesting, after reading reviews at a shaving supplies site, there were quite a few who had problems like me, swearing by the Merkur 34c, and I've been mulling over whether to buy one.

By all accounts, the Tabac soap is pretty much almost exactly the same tallow based soap as the Irisch Moos I posted about at Blade & Badger, made by the same manufacturer.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    IMO the 'tub' of Proraso, ie the hard cream is nowhere near as good as the metal TUBE of softened real cream...
    Thanks..... sort of.
    Now I feel I'll have to buy the Proraso tube to compare the two.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I used the beard lube by itself the first few times as I was using a cartridge razor (to good results). I actually got the layering idea off of the B&B forums. Since it was my very first shave with a safety razor I just wanted the extra protection so as not to lose consciousness from expected blood loss.

Also, I just watched a video on youtube about brushes from Mantic59 and he said badger and/or boar brushes can be funky the first time you get them wet because they are animal hair. That never even crossed my mind. I sure hope that is it and not the cream (I also hope the funkiness dissipates quickly).

Now I just have to study up on soaps.

I used the beard lube by itself the first few times as I was using a cartridge razor (to good results). I actually got the layering idea off of the B&B forums. Since it was my very first shave with a safety razor I just wanted the extra protection so as not to lose consciousness from expected blood loss.

Also, I just watched a video on youtube about brushes from Mantic59 and he said badger and/or boar brushes can be funky the first time you get them wet because they are animal hair. That never even crossed my mind. I sure hope that is it and not the cream (I also hope the funkiness dissipates quickly).

Now I just have to study up on soaps.
    I like to consider unexpected blood loss as being a component in weight control.

After reading the post from Gandhajala above, I'm almost thinking it may be worth layering glycerine in with all these soaps - since it's dirt cheap in supermarkets and seems to be a major active ingredient.

So far I've tried Trumpers cream, Dr.Lewinn's cream, Palmolive Australian shave stick, Irisch Moos tallow soap and Cella hard cream. The Trumpers cream is still far in the lead by a long shot in terms of gliding and slipperiness (as measured when trying to wash it off). I'm very curious to see how Jack Black compares. I also have five more soaps and creams to test out.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 29th April 2012 at 04:26 AM.

I would love to switch from foam to shave soap, but supermarkets and even upscale perfumeries, drugstores, cosmetics shops, pharmacies here seem to be totally ignorant about selling/merchandising shaving soap, so either I find a reliable Internet source for retailing good shaving soaps or I will be forced to stick for yet some other time with supermarket shaving foams, maybe with less satisfactory, thorough, healthy and comfortable results, but at least speedy, quite affordable and readily available.

However, as soon as a decent alternative in terms of shaving soaps shows up, I'll be among the first to enjoy it.

^ Ken, I've used the Traditional Shaving Company before (http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk) and found them great to deal with. They have world-wide delivery.
    Otherwise, most shaving soap companies have their own website you can order direct from. D.R. Harris, for example, (http://www.drharris.co.uk) ships internationally.
    I understand buying 'blind' however, is a bit of a risk.

^ Ken, I've used the Traditional Shaving Company before (http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk) and found them great to deal with. They have world-wide delivery.
    Otherwise, most shaving soap companies have their own website you can order direct from. D.R. Harris, for example, (http://www.drharris.co.uk) ships internationally.
    I understand buying 'blind' however, is a bit of a risk.
    Thanks for the links.

You'll get as many opinions on the right soap/cream as on anything else. My personal favorite (after trying about 25 or so different types) is Martin de Candre, using a badger brush, Feather blades, and Edwin Jagger DE89L razor. Expensive soap, but well worth it. One jar will last a very long time.

for those having trouble accessing soaps/creams around their area... look into the whole "swap box" thing they have going on over at B&B...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I would love to switch from foam to shave soap, but supermarkets and even upscale perfumeries, drugstores, cosmetics shops, pharmacies here seem to be totally ignorant about selling/merchandising shaving soap, so either I find a reliable Internet source for retailing good shaving soaps or I will be forced to stick for yet some other time with supermarket shaving foams, maybe with less satisfactory, thorough, healthy and comfortable results, but at least speedy, quite affordable and readily available.

However, as soon as a decent alternative in terms of shaving soaps shows up, I'll be among the first to enjoy it.
    Fortunately, we have some good on-line traders down here where I live, and there are some good ones on Ebay.

If you go to Ebay and do searches for "shaving soap", "shave soap" "shaving cream" or just type the name of one you're interested in from reviews, click on the "World" option, you will find most of those sticks mentioned in Bruce's article (that I mentioned in the first post). Just make sure you click on "Price Plus Postage Lowest" and scan carefully because often there will be someone selling two or three sticks for nearly the same total cost as buying just one. And then keep scanning because sometimes the tub or bulk version with two or three times the amount doesn't cost all that much more than a stick.

That said, from my very limited testing, I think that while the soap may be okay, it takes a bit more work and more can go wrong (resulting in more nicks) compared to just buying the cream version. Again, I've seen sets of three cream tubes costing not much more than a small tub.

Also, I've got a thread going at the Newbie section of Blade and Badger, where everyone seems to be agreeing with me that it's a better idea to just buy soap puck refills and putting them in your own containers, than buying the expensive wooden bowls.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd May 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Shaving soap is far superior to gels and creams if you want to make it last and get the best possible results you may have to buy a few extras though. I use a shaving scuttle for my shaving soap, it helps keep your brush clean and soap moist. As for shaving soap as long as you have a good brush (I use a badger brush) any soap will produce a good lather. I tend to use soap from Floris, Czech & Sparke and a French brand but the name escapes me.

I get the best results with a straight razor however when traveling I tend to take a double edged safety razor just in case someone at the airport decides to be fickle. It's best to invest in a good razor you'll save money in the long run here in the UK it's about £6 for the replacement heads to the modern razors quite expensive if you shave every day or two.

After shaving I use the Clinique "Post Shave Healer" I shave frequently and a bottle lasts 6 months +.

Quote Originally Posted by L'enfer View Post
    [CENTER]Shaving soap is far superior to gels and creams if you want to make it last and get the best possible results you may have to buy a few extras though. I use a shaving scuttle for my shaving soap, it helps keep your brush clean and soap moist. As for shaving soap as long as you have a good brush (I use a badger brush) any soap will produce a good lather. I tend to use soap from Floris, Czech & Sparke and a French brand but the name escapes me.

I get the best results with a straight razor however when traveling I tend to take a double edged safety razor just in case someone at the airport decides to be fickle. It's best to invest in a good razor you'll save money in the long run here in the UK it's about £6 for the replacement heads to the modern razors quite expensive if you shave every day or two.

After shaving I use the Clinique "Post Shave Healer" I shave frequently and a bottle lasts 6 months +.
    Very interesting, thanks, especially that shave mug - never seen or heard of one like it till now.

Maybe I haven't got this soap business worked out properly yet, but I'm starting to conclude that while not as economical, creams are a lot easier to use - especially with a boar brush.

When you say "£6 for the replacement heads to the modern razors", what are you referring to - the heads of safety razors? I didn't think they ever wore out.
    Regards,
    Renato

Cool Re: Shave Soap vs Shave Cream, Shave Foam, Shave Gel

Renato:

Glad you're enjoying Trumper's Sandalwood!

I don't know who Bruce is, but to each his own.

Well, I confess I'm lazy/incompetent enough to stick to Mach 3 over DE. (Horrors!) Hell, I even got a 5 bladed Schick Hydro in case I'm in too much of a hurry to use only 3 blades.

I suppose I could point out, to continue with my beloved reverse snobbery, that most Kiss My Face plastic pump creams (available at Whole Foods and elsewhere) are dirt cheap, dispense with brushes altogether and are equal if not superior in performance to most of the three T's.

On the other hand, I can't stand the smell of Proraso, I do own both a boar and a badger brush, and, if ever the day comes when I feel particularly aristocratic (or suicidal) I might take up straight razor shaving as well. Along with all those cool looking sadomasochistic straps.

But for now, I enjoy creams better than soaps.

In fact, the only soap I use ( boar brush and cold water) is QED Sandalwood. I'm a bit of a sandalwood freak myself and I found that QED refused to market a sandalwood cream--as they couldn't get the E.O. right. Anyway, it smells like the best sandalwood to me and, for some reason I can't figure out it's light enough to use it in the summer heat.
    Most other sandalwoods are "cool weather" only in my book.

Other top picks for summer creams are:

Acqua di Parma---Absurdly expensive, but I love the smell!
    Castle Forbes Lime: Pricey, though not as pricey as AdP + superb quality.
    Nancy Boy--Moisturizes like crazy and, despite rumors, it won't turn anyone into a gay cucumber.
    Trumper's Violet---Works better in the heat than Tobs Rose (Domenico Caraceni 1913 was good but is now discontinued)

Now if I could only find a good Bay Rum . . .

Cheers, and keep having fun!

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Renato:

Glad you're enjoying Trumper's Sandalwood!

I don't know who Bruce is, but to each his own.

Well, I confess I'm lazy/incompetent enough to stick to Mach 3 over DE. (Horrors!) Hell, I even got a 5 bladed Schick Hydro in case I'm in too much of a hurry to use only 3 blades.

I suppose I could point out, to continue with my beloved reverse snobbery, that most Kiss My Face plastic pump creams (available at Whole Foods and elsewhere) are dirt cheap, dispense with brushes altogether and are equal if not superior in performance to most of the three T's.

On the other hand, I can't stand the smell of Proraso, I do own both a boar and a badger brush, and, if ever the day comes when I feel particularly aristocratic (or suicidal) I might take up straight razor shaving as well. Along with all those cool looking sadomasochistic straps.

But for now, I enjoy creams better than soaps.

In fact, the only soap I use ( boar brush and cold water) is QED Sandalwood. I'm a bit of a sandalwood freak myself and I found that QED refused to market a sandalwood cream--as they couldn't get the E.O. right. Anyway, it smells like the best sandalwood to me and, for some reason I can't figure out it's light enough to use it in the summer heat.
    Most other sandalwoods are "cool weather" only in my book.

Other top picks for summer creams are:

Acqua di Parma---Absurdly expensive, but I love the smell!
    Castle Forbes Lime: Pricey, though not as pricey as AdP + superb quality.
    Nancy Boy--Moisturizes like crazy and, despite rumors, it won't turn anyone into a gay cucumber.
    Trumper's Violet---Works better in the heat than Tobs Rose (Domenico Caraceni 1913 was good but is now discontinued)

Now if I could only find a good Bay Rum . . .

Cheers, and keep having fun!

Mario
    Thanks Mario,
    That was a fascinating read and perspective. I've got to admit that at the moment I'm more partial to creams than soaps - it's just so much easier to get a good result. But after I related my bad experience with Irisch Moos (4 or 5 nicks) at Badger& Blade, I'm willing to concede that I can probably do better with more work, and I've taken it as a personal challange.

I'm surprised you haven't tossed the brushes away altogether in your speed shaving endeavours, and just bought a big 16 oz bottle of Jack Black Beard Lube - it has worked better than some of my soaps so far. I think Bruce is right about Erasmic, which is dirt cheap in the UK - I rubbed that stick over my face. lathered it and got a nick free shave with my Fusion, all the time wondering what the hell was that scent I was smelling.

Have you tried Cella soap/hardened cream? It's the same sort of thing as what's in a Proraso tub, but it has an overwhelming smell of marzipan (others say almonds)? Scent wise, it has clobbered everything else I've tried so far.

I haven't seen the QED stuff, but I'll now keep an eye out for it.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Thanks Mario,
    That was a fascinating read and perspective. I've got to admit that at the moment I'm more partial to creams than soaps - it's just so much easier to get a good result. But after I related my bad experience with Irisch Moos (4 or 5 nicks) at Badger& Blade, I'm willing to concede that I can probably do better with more work, and I've taken it as a personal challange.

I'm surprised you haven't tossed the brushes away altogether in your speed shaving endeavours, and just bought a big 16 oz bottle of Jack Black Beard Lube - it has worked better than some of my soaps so far. I think Bruce is right about Erasmic, which is dirt cheap in the UK - I rubbed that stick over my face. lathered it and got a nick free shave with my Fusion, all the time wondering what the hell was that scent I was smelling.

Have you tried Cella soap/hardened cream? It's the same sort of thing as what's in a Proraso tub, but it has an overwhelming smell of marzipan (others say almonds)? Scent wise, it has clobbered everything else I've tried so far.

I haven't seen the QED stuff, but I'll now keep an eye out for it.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I hear you on the snobiness over shaving tools and technique. i took up DE shaving one day after spending ~$40 on a couple of cartridges. i do however, miss the convnience of say, my mach 3 fusion power (to most, the ultimate tool of horror) because some days i i just want a quick, accurate shave.

I hear you on the snobiness over shaving tools and technique. i took up DE shaving one day after spending ~$40 on a couple of cartridges. i do however, miss the convnience of say, my mach 3 fusion power (to most, the ultimate tool of horror) because some days i i just want a quick, accurate shave.
    When I want a quick shave, I just pull out my Philips electric shaver. To me, shaving has now become a hobby (who'd have thought?) Fortunately, I don't work anymore, so I can shave when I want, which is just as well since with wet shaving I only really need to shave every day and half, relative to my Philishave which resulted in my needing to do it every day if I didn't want to look scruffy. I've ordered some Merkur razors for DE shaving, but have no intention of giving up cartrdiges - especially since I've invested in a Razorpit to keep their useful life going.

Wet shaving is so much fun in terms of experimentation - single blade vs 2, 3, 4 and 5 blade cartridges. And then there is the issue of which among the dozens of single blades gives better results, and which among say the 5 blade cartridges give the better results. And which soap, hardened cream soap, cream or oil gives good results with the various blades and cartridges. And which pre-shave oils enhance the quality of the primary soap/cream. There are so many variables it's fascinating. I haven't missed a shave since I restarted wet shaving, whereas I was missing shaves for a day or two or even three when I was shaving electric.

And then there's the whole thing of nick and razor burn treatments - witch hazel, alum, Mennen Skin Bracer or something else. It's fascinating.

But one thing I'm never likely to do is buy one of those "power" wet shavers like you have. I don't understand them, and they just look too scary to me.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Well, I've no idea what Mach3 fusion power is--Perhaps a Gillette Fusion Power? a Mach 3 Turbo? Their advertising dept must spend hours coming up with these names.

But I guess " Outlandish looking cartridges which are easier, faster and
    (since the cartridge swivels to the contours of the face)
    safer than a DE " would have been too long, even if they tried to condense it into an acronym. OLSWASFAS?

Renato, do not fear these--unless they've come up with some weird monster that vibrates electronically while simultaneously brushing your teeth or some other madness--they are a technological improvement to DE's
    (Oh God, I can hear the flames at the stake crackling as I'm tied to the stake for heresy)

There is however, one thing to fear and Erok32 nailed it: The outrageous price tag of the cartridges!

Erok, for me, it's getting close to a mathematical formula: If my finances continue to sink in this economy, a point will be reached then the benefits of the Mach 3 & co. will be outweighed by the price of the DE blades (even counting the costs of more styptic pencils) and the inconvenience of taking a longer time shaving.

On to happier thoughts:

OK, let's get Italian with almonds!

No, haven't tried Cella.

I have tried Acca Kappa 1869 Almonds and it's very, very good. It's a cream, not a soft one, though (almost a 'croap")

The other Italian cream I have is RazoRock classic and this is a soft right in the tub.

Usually available at Italian Barber for $5.99 (eat your heart out T&H!) or, in case they're out, Q.E.D --and if they're out Amazon carries it for about ten bucks! Classic also has a pronounced marzipan smell--I don't know how close it is to Cella, but I am VERY curious.

Moreover it has the advantage of saving you a trip to the gym, as the plastic container it comes in has to be popped open so you'll get a good workout for your hands and wrists the first time you struggle against air pressure and the poor design.

But It's worth it. Great lather and lubrication.
    Afterwards just leave it slightly open and all is well . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Well, I've no idea what Mach3 fusion power is--Perhaps a Gillette Fusion Power? a Mach 3 Turbo? Their advertising dept must spend hours coming up with these names.

safer than a DE " would have been too long, even if they tried to condense it into an acronym. OLSWASFAS?

Renato, do not fear these--unless they've come up with some weird monster that vibrates electronically while simultaneously brushing your teeth or some other madness--they are a technological improvement to DE's
    (Oh God, I can hear the flames at the stake crackling as I'm tied to the stake for heresy)

There is however, one thing to fear and Erok32 nailed it: The outrageous price tag of the cartridges!

Erok, for me, it's getting close to a mathematical formula: If my finances continue to sink in this economy, a point will be reached then the benefits of the Mach 3 & co. will be outweighed by the price of the DE blades (even counting the costs of more styptic pencils) and the inconvenience of taking a longer time shaving.

On to happier thoughts:

OK, let's get Italian with almonds!

No, haven't tried Cella.

I have tried Acca Kappa 1869 Almonds and it's very, very good. It's a cream, not a soft one, though (almost a 'croap")

The other Italian cream I have is RazoRock classic and this is a soft right in the tub.

Usually available at Italian Barber for $5.99 (eat your heart out T&H!) or, in case they're out, Q.E.D --and if they're out Amazon carries it for about ten bucks! Classic also has a pronounced marzipan smell--I don't know how close it is to Cella, but I am VERY curious.

Moreover it has the advantage of saving you a trip to the gym, as the plastic container it comes in has to be popped open so you'll get a good workout for your hands and wrists the first time you struggle against air pressure and the poor design.

But It's worth it. Great lather and lubrication.
    Afterwards just leave it slightly open and all is well . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    Hi again Mario,
    Remarkably QED soap doesn't appear anywhere on Ebay, every single other one I've tried does.

As for cost of cartridges, you could always try extend their life by using the Razorpit, which numerous people here and at Blade&Badger swear by. Most claim it improves the cartridge life by two or three times, though not to the "up to 150 shaves" as claimed in the ad. They also say that there is one other similar Us made one that works, but that all the rest don't.
    http://www.razorpit.com/
    I've had one for two weeks, but can't assert it works well because I've only been using it on my one Fusion cartridge, which I've been using for about two and half weeks, which is still working fine.

At least now I've found a use for my spray foam and spray gel, I put it on the Razorpit to clean my Fusion cartridge.

My supermarket was selling the Mach 3 Power cartridges for $11 for a four pack, reduced from $20, so I bought it as my Mach 3 only has the original cartridge that came with it (since I only used it once, and was nursing half a dozen nicks and razorburn). Now that I can wet shave with Fusion, I'm determined to work my way down the cartridges to the cheap two blade ones.

Okay - I might pick up a battery powered Fusion razor next time I see it on sale for under $10. I suppose I should see if it makes any difference.
    Cheers,
    Renato

P.S. I bought a Schick 5 Blade battery powered razor today, since it was going at half price for A$7.50. I'll look at few days before trying it - perhaps see if there's any difference shaving half my face with power on, and half with power off.

Try http://www.qedusa.com/

And let me know how the razorpit works out for you

(The "hybrid" battery powered razor sounds rather odd but, who knows?)

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Try http://www.qedusa.com/

And let me know how the razorpit works out for you

(The "hybrid" battery powered razor sounds rather odd but, who knows?)

Cheers,

Mario
    I misread your post - comes from reading it in the early hours of the morning. I can get Razorock locally without any problem.

Evaluating the Razorpit will take some time. So far I've used the Fusion cartridge for 2 weeks, shaving every day or day and a half. It seems as sharp as when I first got it. But I've been DE shaving the last three times, and still have two DE shavers to evaluate.
    Regards,
    Renato

No, you didn't misread it; my writing was sloppy. My primary point was meant to address that you couldn't find the QED soap on Ebay.

The official site for QED is http://www.qedusa.com/
    Next, under manufacturers select QEDman
    Which should lead you to QEDman soap in 5 oz jar
    And then select Sandalwood

Here's a review from B&B http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/sh...dalwood&cat=40
    My Wardrobe

No, you didn't misread it; my writing was sloppy. My primary point was meant to address that you couldn't find the QED soap on Ebay.

The official site for QED is http://www.qedusa.com/
    Next, under manufacturers select QEDman
    Which should lead you to QEDman soap in 5 oz jar
    And then select Sandalwood

Here's a review from B&B http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/sh...dalwood&cat=40
    Aha - now I see.
    Renato

Wet shaving is so much fun in terms of experimentation - single blade vs 2, 3, 4 and 5 blade cartridges. And then there is the issue of which among the dozens of single blades gives better results, and which among say the 5 blade cartridges give the better results. And which soap, hardened cream soap, cream or oil gives good results with the various blades and cartridges. And which pre-shave oils enhance the quality of the primary soap/cream. There are so many variables it's fascinating. I haven't missed a shave since I restarted wet shaving, whereas I was missing shaves for a day or two or even three when I was shaving electric.

And then there's the whole thing of nick and razor burn treatments - witch hazel, alum, Mennen Skin Bracer or something else. It's fascinating.

But one thing I'm never likely to do is buy one of those "power" wet shavers like you have. I don't understand them, and they just look too scary to me.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I agree. I love shaving with my DE and happily make it part of my morning routine. Sometimes when I'm in a time crunch, I do wish I could make one quick pass across my face and run out of my house though.

Mario
    You're correct. It is a Gillette fusion power (I get so confused about the various names nowadays). As for finances, I make a solid living, but today I was tinkering around a local retailer and picked up a set of 10 Wilkinson DE blades for $1.59 US, where a comparable Gillette or Schick 3,4,or 5 blade cartridge set would've cost me $30-$50 and isn't as fun a shave. So not only is traditional wet shaving more economical, it's absolutely satisfying.

picked up a set of 10 Wilkinson DE blades for $1.59 US, where a comparable Gillette or Schick 3,4,or 5 blade cartridge set would've cost me $30-$50 and isn't as fun a shave. So not only is traditional wet shaving more economical, it's absolutely satisfying.
    And since the double edged blades are so much less expensive I don't think twice about changing to a fresh blade as opposed to trying to make a (2 , 3, 4 or 5 blade) cartridge stretch too far because they're so expensive. Again, resulting in a better shave.

It would be more economical if it wasn't so damn addictive. I dropped $80US at www.bullgooseshaving.com last night on soaps, blades and a new brush. Oh well, if it costs me a few bucks to actually enjoy shaving instead of considering it a chore then so be it. So far I'm loving it!