Code of Conduct

Default Turtle Vetiver Front: Sold Out

It's no longer available at LuckyScent. I had to order it from LesNez in Switzerland. If you're thinking of picking up a bottle, now is probably the time.

Default Re: Turtle Vetiver Front: Sold Out

Thanks for the info.

Glad I have mine! One of the absolute best vetivers

Mine is sticking safely at the Italian customs RRROOAAAAR!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It's definitely one of the best vetivers out there but I decided against getting a bottle (or two) a few weeks ago - nothing beats using the essential oils themselves, IMHO.

Glad i got mine

for swap/sale:

Thanks, my sister turned me onto this, hope she got a bottle. I've got the tiny sample but am wondering what everyone's favorite was of the limited editions.
    Last edited by firehorse; 24th April 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Mine is sticking safely at the Italian customs RRROOAAAAR!
    I bet those customs agents smell great thanks to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I bet those customs agents smell great thanks to you.
    They're monkeys, they don't even know if it is something supposed to be applied on the body or to be drunk.

Hopefully by the beginning of June they will realize how to open the box...Sooner or later it will make it here.

Front is still pale compared to Exercise1. My four 2.5ml samples of Front will last a life time.

Big seller! Launched around 1/23 and 90 days later they may have sold out. One bottle a day sales. Somehow I don't think I could pay my rent selling one bottle per day.
    Last edited by thebeck; 25th April 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Thanks, my sister turned me onto this, hope she got a bottle. I've got the tiny sample but am wondering what everyone's favorite was of the limited editions.
    I love both of them, but prefer the slight refinement that Front offers. I have not tried the as yet unreleased Back...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Institution

Yeah I think they are ready for Front to be all sold so that they can release Back.

I enjoyed it, as I do most vetiver scents from niche houses, but decided against getting a bottle. I still have my sample and, as the beck mentioned, a little goes a long way. The stuff is potent and I really have to been in the mood for it's tropical/coconut vibe.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    They cannot be compared. The initial one was a stark, ruthless and confronting vetiver.
    The next is a smoother vetiver.

I'd like to view them as Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yeah I think they are ready for Front to be all sold so that they can release Back.

I enjoyed it, as I do most vetiver scents from niche houses, but decided against getting a bottle. I still have my sample and, as the beck mentioned, a little goes a long way. The stuff is potent and I really have to been in the mood for it's tropical/coconut vibe.
    My initial impression was that the tropical/coconut vibe did not integrate very well with the vetiver. But after letting my vial sit around for a month, I wore it again on Tuesday and did not have that impression at all. In fact, I liked it so much that I changed my mind and bought a bottle. So funny how impressions can change from day to day.

They're monkeys, they don't even know if it is something supposed to be applied on the body or to be drunk.
    This gave me a good chuckle. It must be so frustrating for you to have to deal with poor customs all the time.

Also, of all my bottles, Turtle Vetiver Front looks most drinkable...

My initial impression was that the tropical/coconut vibe did not integrate very well with the vetiver. But after letting my vial sit around for a month, I wore it again on Tuesday and did not have that impression at all. In fact, I liked it so much that I changed my mind and bought a bottle. So funny how impressions can change from day to day.
    Brian, glad you enjoyed this and got yourself a bottle before it sold out. Sorry I didn't think to bring it when we met in March - I would've given you a decant.

Also, you really have to make up your mind quick with these tiny limited releases! Sit on the fence for too long, and you could miss out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    This gave me a good chuckle. It must be so frustrating for you to have to deal with poor customs all the time.

Also, of all my bottles, Turtle Vetiver Front looks most drinkable...
    Fortunately this happens VERY rarely. Being Italy a terrific place for fragrance shopping (wether niche, designer or vintage), I get most of my fragrances locally but Vetiver Front seemed not to be available anywhere around here...

....dobule....

Fortunately this happens VERY rarely. Being Italy a terrific place for fragrance shopping (wether niche, designer or vintage), I get most of my fragrances locally but Vetiver Front seemed not to be available anywhere around here...
    Yes, you are in an enviable place for fragrances.

On a somewhat tangential note, do you know what essenza di senape is? A friend of mine promised to smuggle some back in her cooch but now swears up and down that no one in Italy knows what it is.
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 26th April 2012 at 06:50 PM.

On a somewhat tangential note, do you know what essenza di senape is? A friend of mine promised to smuggle some back from Italy in her cooch but now swears up and down that no one in Italy knows what it is.
    If memory serves me well Essenza Di Senape is an essential oil mainly used to do the Mostarda. Mostarda, which is a sort of piquant jam, can be wether sweet or salty and it's used as a complementary souce with both cheese and meat....

If memory serves me well Essenza Di Senape is an essential oil mainly used to do the Mostarda. Mostarda, which is a sort of piquant jam, can be wether sweet or salty and it's used as a complementary souce with both cheese and meat....
    Exactly. I want to make my own mostarda, but essenza di senape cannot be purchased in the US because it is also used to make weapons (e.g. mustard gas). Where do people buy this stuff?

Exactly. I want to make my own mostarda, but essenza di senape cannot be purchased in the US because it is also used to make weapons (e.g. mustard gas). Where do people buy this stuff?
    I absolutely have no idea Let me ask a couple of friends and I'll let you know (possibly). Just out of my curiosity...what about if your friend will find it? Will he be in trouble when he gets to the customs in JFK?

She is willing to take the risk. It's a ridiculous rule anyway considering that you can buy many more dangerous foodstuffs (like ghost peppers) at corner grocers.

From what I gathered on the Internet, it may be sold at pharmacies. But she wasn't quite sure what store to go into. I need to give her very specific instructions.

Or maybe it's a regional thing. She is typically in Florence or Milan for work. Maybe people don't eat mostarda there?

I absolutely have no idea Let me ask a couple of friends and I'll let you know (possibly). Just out of my curiosity...what about if your friend will find it? Will he be in trouble when he gets to the customs in JFK?

She is willing to take the risk. It's a ridiculous rule anyway considering that you can buy many more dangerous foodstuffs (like ghost peppers) at corner grocers.

From what I gathered on the Internet, it may be sold at pharmacies. But she wasn't quite sure what store to go into. I need to give her very specific instructions.

Or maybe it's a regional thing. She is typically in Florence or Milan for work. Maybe people don't eat mostarda there?
    Both Florence and Milan are great places to find this kind of stuff. Let me ask someone who may know...

Yes, you are in an enviable place for fragrances.

On a somewhat tangential note, do you know what essenza di senape is? A friend of mine promised to smuggle some back in her cooch but now swears up and down that no one in Italy knows what it is.

:-)

for swap/sale:

And by cooch, of course, I mean designer handbag with secret compartments.

And by cooch, of course, I mean designer handbag with secret compartments.
    : -(

for swap/sale:

I don't care where she puts it. I just want to make some wicked hot mostarda.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    : -(

: - |

for swap/sale:

I think essenza di senape is sold in some pharmacies. She can try checking in some pharmacies, asking for essenza di senape per fare la mostarda. Mostarda is typical of Cremona, a town just south of Milan, so it should be available somewhere in Milan.

I've never used it myself, but note that the stuff is supposed to be extremely potent. Jokes aside, I wouldn't recommend putting it where it could get in touch with the skin. Also, she should definitely *not* hyde it in carry on bags. When one goes though the airport check in, they'll pick immediately any fluid container. All they care about is either fresh food (meat and seeds) or the 100ml rule for carry on. So she can simply put it in her checked in baggage as any other purchase. And if by chance asked call it a vinegar or the like.

Incidentally, I've never made mostarda myself, but I've tried to do candied fruits, which is the same procedure (you just put mostarda drops in the syrup). It is extremely difficult; it's either perfectly correct or it fails, ie the fruit doesn't absorb the sugar or it cooks and gets mushy. Apart from the fact that it takes several days, one needs to get the syrup exactly right; it needs to be measured with precision instruments (something called a Baume thermometer, if I recall correctly), and adjusted precisely day after day. In addition, for fruits that go in with the skin (like citruses) one needs fruit that is not treated with wax, because the wax may prevent the syrup from being absorbed. Unfortunately, all commercially available fruit is treated with wax. I don't want to discourage you, because candied fruit and mostarda are wonderful. Just a warning.

cacio

edit ... by rereading above, I note that there's a talk of *jam*, ie hot jams. That process shouldn't be difficult, it's like making jam, then adding drops of senape essence. I thought we were talking about the mostarda di Cremona with the candied fruit intact, which does indeed require the complicated process I was alluding to (and which very few in Italy do at home, one simply buys it at the store).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    edit ... by rereading above, I note that there's a talk of *jam*, ie hot jams. That process shouldn't be difficult, it's like making jam, then adding drops of senape essence. I thought we were talking about the mostarda di Cremona with the candied fruit intact, which does indeed require the complicated process I was alluding to (and which very few in Italy do at home, one simply buys it at the store).

cacio
    I have made it both ways actually--the traditional method where the fruit seeps in sugar for a couple of days as well as a quicker method that is more like marmalade. I'm actually quite good at the technique, but I can never get it hot enough. I tried extracting my own essenza by leaving mustard seeds in vodka for a couple weeks, but it was not strong enough for my liking. Perhaps I should wander over to the DIY board for some advice

cacio
    Yep, I guess we were initially talking about the Mostarda di Cremona (the one with the candied fruit intact), but also the "hot jams" are commonly called mostarda. If you make a pear jam and then add drops of essenza di senape, they say you do the mostarda di pera...

Brian:

ooh, I am very impressed that you make candied fruit! I tried once with oranges (hence all my problems with wax and the like), but
    gave up. I should try again then, I love candied fruit on cassata, and they're hard to find in the US. Did you have to use a thermometer or were you just careful with the percentage of sugar and water?

I start seeing why you love Shadow so much (I like it too). JAR should be on top of a fruity mustard scent soon!

cacio

If I make another batch, I'll send you some. My first attempt was with oranges as well, and it turned out fantastic except for the mustard level. I used both the fruit and strips of peel cut into strips (not whole fruit). I did not start with syrup however. I used a method that involved putting the fruit into the sugar (without water) and leaving it for several days. Or maybe I had to keep adding sugar--I don't remember; it was a couple years ago. I don't remember have any issues, but perhaps mine was easier since the fruit wasn't whole.

I start seeing why you love Shadow so much (I like it too). JAR should be on top of a fruity mustard scent soon!
    This was a picture from my review of Shadow:

I remembered the pic, but I didn't remember the pear mustard in it... To be honest, I don't get much mustard (in the sense of fruity chunks) from Shadow. I do get the dill and pickles.

Interesting about the dry sugar. Perhaps it's just a slow, but safe way of diffusing the sugar. As said, if you dump stuff into a hot liquid, bad stuff can happen if it's not done right. And I guess using chunks of fruits and cut stripes of peel solves the wax problem. You're inspiring me to try again...

cacio

Basenotes Plus

BC and hedonist- Your thread-jack is hilarious.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    BC and hedonist- Your thread-jack is hilarious.
    ; -)

for swap/sale: