Code of Conduct

Lightbulb new to frangrances and basenotes, Diptyque l'ombre dans l'eau?

hi all, looking for advice

Im new to fragrances and this is my first post on basenotes.

i have recently purchase Diptyque L'ombre dans l'eau after reading a few reviews on the internet, it was a complete blind buy but luckily i like it. i wanted something different, all my friends seem to be wearing the same sort of things, pacco rabanne 1mil, issey miyake ect. although i do like some of these i just wanted to stand out a bit an have something not everyone recognizes.

i do like the smell of my Diptyque but it does not seem to last that long on me, even if i spray on my shirt. would i benifit from buying the shower gel or body cream/lotion to help me to smell of this longer? A it would make my skin smell of it before applying the spray, almost to back it up i guess.

i would love to improve the longetivity and the sillage of it. i would love to walk past people and for them to just pause and wonder what fragrance it is. or question me on what i have on. clearly by looking at the one of the top topics in the mens fragrances (what fragrance gets you the most female attention) it is high priority for a lot of males including me to attract females by smelling great, i think helping the l'ombre dans l'eau last longer and have a bit more sillage would help me with this.

any help would be great, i just want to learn more about fragrances

thanks josh

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new to frangrances and basenotes, Diptyque l'ombre dans l'eau?

The lotion is strongly perfumed, which is a good thing as it is pricey. Diptyque has samples of the lotion-- why not see if you can get a sample before you buy?

thank you I, this could be what i need

Or perhaps just apply an unscented lotion to your skin prior to wearing your fragrance to see if that helps prolong the longevity.

Welcome!

I love ombre dans l'eau too. People often point out that one's nose can become insensitive to a smell after a while, so before assuming that the scent has disappeared, ask a friend or relative whether they are still smelling it. L'ombre dans l'eau is relatively long lasting on me. It is true however that the arresting green top note fades a bit and the scent becomes a little fruitier and sweeter. Lotions can help with longevity (whether the associated perfumed lotion or any scent free one). I love the shower gel, a big blast of green, but the effects are not long lasting (which is good because then I want to be able to wear other things).

Re: receiving compliments, don't expect them, even if you are wearing the best scent ever. It is customary to compliment women, not men. And often, a compliment comes because the perfume is too loud to ignore, whether the person complimenting the wearer likes the scent or not. This doesn't mean that the perfume isn't helping with women. Just don't expect people to say it loud.

cacio

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Or perhaps just apply an unscented lotion to your skin prior to wearing your fragrance to see if that helps prolong the longevity.
    this ^^^^^^^^^^

thanks cacio, i have asked friends if i still smell of the fragrance and they have said that it has gone. i think i am going to buy the lotion, maybe even the small bar of soap for l'ombre dans l'eau, i have seen it £10 somewhere. i dont want to be the person who you can smell 3 or 4 people away, but it would be nice to make it just slightly stronger and longer

carry a decant with ya!

This doesn't mean that the perfume isn't helping with women. Just don't expect people to say it loud.