Code of Conduct

Default First Niche/ Millesime Imperial question

Hi guys,

Okay so I've been obsessing lately about purchasing my first Niche. I've been having a hard time choosing and think I might need some guidance from you guys.

From what i own, what would you recommend? I current have on rotation: Pure Malt, Jil Sander Absolute, Dior Homme intense, narciso rodriguez musc, Body Kouros, Armani Code, salvatore ferragamo F Black, Fresh's Cannabis Santal, etc.

From the above examples, what would be a logical choice that won't come as very harsh. I'm looking for something that is available (easy to find), easy to wear/like and not too overpriced.

Here's what I was thinking about lately:

Creed's Millesime Imperial
    FM's Musc Ravageur
    Bond 9's I Love NY for all

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated and if other suggestions by all means please don't hesitate to suggest.

Last question I found Millesime Imperial at Tuccini for around 130$USD for a 4oz bottle (through Amazon), should it be trusted? seems kinds inexpensive....

Million thanks guys, you Basenoters rock!!

Mike

Default Re: First Niche/ Millesime Imperial question

Either one of the one below would be fine IMO:

FM's Musc Ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Either one of the one below would be fine IMO:

FM's Musc Ravageur
    +1 Fine choices.

Bond 9's I Love NY for all

don't let your first niche be I<3LY4A...Creed Millesime Imperial I think hits the spot, given the season.

don't trust tuccini. just buy from fragrancenet.

Banned

Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle - A blast of freshness hits you with the hay-like sweetness of lavender commingling with the zesty citrus of bergamot. This refreshing opening transitions to its middle with the boatload of cloves, imparting a thick, wet earthiness with a faintly sweet dimension. This raises the dark avenue of travel for this composition. As the cloves percolate, a warm, mellow cinnamon with a hint of a civet musk gather steam, and stew with the hearty cloves. The billowing animalic musk coupled with the extraordinary spices transforms the heart into a rapturous sensuality. Hints of sweetness in the form of vanilla and tonka bean tug at this sexual melange leading it to the captivating base. As the spicy component of the heart fades away, the musk mixes with the tonka bean to give a fleeting chocolate aura drawing it closer to the base. The vanilla and tonka bean envelop the rousing musk and join with a woods backdrop, to wit, balsamic cedarwood, aromatic sandalwood and sweet guiac wood, to give creamy and powdery facets to the mellifluous drydown. This well blended and complex fragrance has excellent longevity and good projection, after 5-6 hours becoming a skin scent.

I'd get MI over MR since you already have some heavy hitters for cold weather (DHI, Pure Malt)

But I think New Haarlem is the better version of I love NY for all

Tuccini is reliable. I have ordered from them several times through amazon. $130 is an average price for grey market Creeds.
    based on your rotation you may like Musc Rav more than MI.
    Dont buy the Bond No 9.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I ordered a Bond No. 9 from Tuccini...took a while but the product was fine. Honestly I'd use fragrancenet, I got my MI there.

Hey man, I highly recommend not getting from Amazon. It's just too sketchy. I know amazon seems very legitimate, but the independent sellers who sell through amazon honestly scare me.

Those 3 are good choices. I'm not a MR fan, so I just gotta say sample first. I Love New York is great in my opinion, it's beautiful and my favorite gourmand but for some reason it doesn't sound like a "first niche" kind of fragrance (lol). BUT it's definitely worth getting. Millesime is perfect for a first niche purchase. Have fun!

Also, I think Pure Malt > MR, MI, and I<3NY.

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    I'd get MI over MR since you already have some heavy hitters for cold weather (DHI, Pure Malt)

But I think New Haarlem is the better version of I love NY for all
    I agree
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Tuccini is reliable. I have ordered from them several times through amazon. $130 is an average price for grey market Creeds.
    based on your rotation you may like Musc Rav more than MI.
    Dont buy the Bond No 9.
    You guys are greats thanks for the heads up!

Hey Heperd what do you mean exactly by "grey market Creeds"? I've ordered from Tuccini before and haven't been disappointed. I was only concerned with such a reasonable pricetag considering it'a a Creed... Is 130$USD for an 4oz bottle of MI the norm? I would love to know of anyone who gotten it from Tuccini's storefront on Amazon...

Also for everyone, I am actually hopping for more suggestions apart from the ones I mentioned... So far seems like I'm leaning towards MI but I'm far from making up my mind. So along the lines of what I seems to be into, what would be perfect introductions into the niche world? Something smooth & longlasting in the oriental/fresh/grourmandish/musky category.... I know it's broad but hey I'm looking for options!!

many thanks in advance

My first niche fragrance ended up being my favorite, and that was Creed's Silver Mountain Water. You should give it a try. A very classy & versatile scent.

Grey market is any place that is not an authorized Creed seller. Independent perfume stores and websites.
    You should try Creed Original Santal for a long lasting oriental.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Just want to put it out there- I think L'Artisan is a great great brand with which to begin getting into niche perfumery. It's relatively inexpensive, the stuff is well made (but not to the extent that it's a million overwhelming notes), and there's a good mix of crowd favorites and less popular, but still good, ones.

I freakin love MI. You could try GIT or Aventus too. Basically any Creed would probably be a good intro niche bottle. I've never ordered anything from Tuccini so I can't talk about them but I'll just throw this out there: There's a lot of talk about batch variation with MI, and the 4oz bottle I got last week from Fragrancenet was a 2011 batch and is amazing. Use the 15% off code "basenotes" and it's ~$140, or even cheaper if you're alright with testers. Rose 31 might be another one to consider if you haven't checked it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    From the above examples, what would be a logical choice that won't come as very harsh. I'm looking for something that is available (easy to find), easy to wear/like and not too overpriced.
    Creed is always a great way to get into niche. They fit your criteria of not being "harsh, easy to wear/like, and not too overpriced." Green Irish Tweed and MI are the 2 obvious and popular choices. My favorite is Aventus, but it may be a bit too "dark" to wear in hotter weather and it isn't exactly easy to find, nor is it cheap due to its popularity... unless you get a decant / split.

Overstock has a reasonable price on MI and Walgreens with GIT:

http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beau...9/product.html

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/cre...453798-product

If you wait for them to go on sale, these bottles can be bought for $20+ cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    Just want to put it out there- I think L'Artisan is a great great brand with which to begin getting into niche perfumery. It's relatively inexpensive, the stuff is well made (but not to the extent that it's a million overwhelming notes), and there's a good mix of crowd favorites and less popular, but still good, ones.
    Thanks for the l'Artisan recommendation, witch one would you suggest?

And for rest ya i tried Aventus but really didn't find it suited my skin chemistry. That why I liked MI cause I barelly got any freshness but instead went straight to the drydown and got a salty praline like smell... was great! But like some are saying I am afraid or getting a bad batch from ordering online. I am in Canada and so far the choices are between Frangrancenet, Fragrance X and Tuccini (the last being the cheapest)

Also please don't hesitate to shoot other suggestions, I'm loving this great feedback!

Mike

You seem to have some great winter scents, MI from Creed is a great scent but I find it works the best in warm weather. If you want something that's versatile and will get you lots of compliments, go with Aventus..you won't be disappointed.

MI is my "save in a fire if it was the last bottle on Earth".