Code of Conduct

Default Trying to make Iso E Super only frag, but seems a bit expensive to make

Hi all, I was going to make a 3.3oz bottle of just straight iso e and alcohol, at around 15% concentration. I've found what I need, but it seems like its more expensive than it should be. Some help getting this stuff for cheaper?

Iso E from perfumers apprentice: $6 for 15ml, + shipping

Perfumers Alcohol from SaveOnScents (I am underage so cannot purchase Everclear), I also had trouble finding this in small amounts anywhere but at this site: $6.57 + $5 or so for shipping

Bottle (Couldnt find a place where I could buy just one bottle except ebay): $15

This is the best I could do, but there is no way it has to be $35 some dollars to make this simple concoction.

Some help? Thanks guys!

Default Re: Trying to make Iso E Super only frag, but seems a bit expensive to make

Iím afraid those are pretty good prices for such small amounts: it is of course possible to make it for much, much less but to get the cost down you need to buy larger amounts. Thatís still a fraction of the cost of buying Escentricís Molecule 01 though, so not a bad deal if thatís what you are trying to achieve.

Iíd offer to help, but I think by the time itís shipped across the Atlantic my price would be even higher - perhaps someone here whoís in the US might offer?
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Default Re: Trying to make Iso E Super only frag, but seems a bit expensive to make

There are people selling exactly this on ebay.co.uk but when you include shipping costs, they aren't significantly cheaper then your DIY-solution.

Two examples:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/molecule-01-I...item256f67b96b

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Molecule-01-I...item27c508fd8a

I guess you have to worry about the legality of those items since they are marketed as Molecule 01. Another advantage of doing it yourself is that you'll have plenty of Alcohol and Iso-E-Super crystals remaining after you've done your 3.3oz.

Also be cautious - what you buy on eBay may or may not be good stuff - check previous threads here on the subject as some people have been disappointed by such purchases and Iíve also explained previously that there is more than one grade of Iso E Super on the market: they are not all equally good.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Honestly, this seems pretty reasonable to me.

We live in the same city. Everclear would not be much cheaper, in fact about the same price in a state liquor store so you can not save there. But there is a shop on Hawthorne that sells bottles for a lot less. I can't remember the name of the store, but it is on the north side of the street at about 35th. A small shop that sells herbs and tinctures. The front window has displays of bottles and such on the right side of the door. If you walk down Hawthorne and look in the windows I am sure you will find it.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    We live in the same city. Everclear would not be much cheaper, in fact about the same price in a state liquor store so you can not save there. But there is a shop on Hawthorne that sells bottles for a lot less. I can't remember the name of the store, but it is on the north side of the street at about 35th. A small shop that sells herbs and tinctures. The front window has displays of bottles and such on the right side of the door. If you walk down Hawthorne and look in the windows I am sure you will find it.
    That is so helpful, I will look there, thank you.

---

Since I'm ordering relatively small amounts, perhaps someone in the US would sell me some of their excess of these materials? That might be cheaper than ordering in small amounts online.

Unfortunately, I don't have any excess Iso E - but I might be able to help you with the Perfumers Alcohol and possibly a plastic 5 ml. bottle. (All of my glass ones are spoken for at the moment.)
    Send me a private message and I'll see what I can do for you.

I've read that iso e super is kind of a rich, smooth, woody type of scent. it would probably make a very nice perfume. wonder why it hasn't already been done?

It has - Molecule 01 is solely iso e super, I believe.