Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Changed my mind about Joop!Homme

Don't know if this thread belongs here, but I had to share this.

It's just today I took my casual stroll around the mall and entered the sales floor of a major fragrance distributor.
    More out of simple curiosity, I re-tested Joop!Homme, I scent I hardly could stand in the past and was quite vocal against. And guess what - after letting it settle for a while, I did not perceive it as unpleasant any longer, at least not as much as I was initially expecting to.
    Sure, the opening is still a blast, heavy, rather harsh and almost pungent sweet notes of a rather synthetic type overwhelm, but after a while and some patience, the impression gradually changed.
    It was still very strong and attention-catching, but still, at least to my nose, the drydown of Joop!Homme developed into something previously unknown about this scent: a mellow, suave, spicy gourmands with hints of oddly pleasant, even though unilateral burnt sugar-caramel-brown sugar.
    Kind of like a very distant and even stronger ancestor of Le Male, and, to a lesser extent, Rochas Man and Sculpture Homme, but also with some warming, comforting and creamy subtleties under the apparently bomb-proof monobloc of overpowering strength.

Thanks for letting me talk about my changing impressions regarding this scent. It does not mean that my reaction to Joop!Homme instantly turned into "love at second sight". It's just that I am now more open to give it additional tries and, eventually, if these further testings turn out well, purchasing this scent might be on my task list.

P.S.: Please ignore the "thumbs down"-icon, it got there unwillingly, don't know what I pressed by mistake and now I cannot get this icon away from the title any longer.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 26th April 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Please ignore the "thumbs down"-icon, it got there unwillingly, don't know what I pressed by mistake

Default Re: Changed my mind about Joop!Homme

Although I have never experienced this "about face" with a fragrance, I can only imagine how gratifying the feeling must be.

And that's the main reason I give second (third, eventually fourth) chance to a fragrance I initially disliked while smelling it for the first time.
    The unexpected might come any moment...

Best fragrance in existence.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Thank you for posting this Ken_Russell.
    I've been considering myself to get this but was looking to find the vintage version.

Was the one you tried the vintage or the more recent release?
    You can tell by the place where 'HOMME' is located - above or below 'JOOP!'.

Vintage:
    3940_2_big.jpg

Reformulated:

!BmbH3vg!2k~$(KGrHqYOKjoEtkjpStt!BLfgHdmMBw~~_35.JPG
    Last edited by Balthazar; 16th May 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Banned

Admittedly, Joop! Homme is a powerhouse; however, its long-term existence and devotees do not belie its caliber.
    The secret is in its application. Easy on the trigger is the catchphrase here. Enjoy!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I am glad that you have finally come round to appreciating the Pink Beauty, Ken_Russell. Sure, it is a polarising frag. So brash, that its initial impression on some could belie its true charm.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It's good when you find you can appreciate a fragrance that you previously dismissed.

Lately when I wear this, there's something in the dry down that rubs me the wrong way. I consider that the scent may have deteriorated some due to occassionally warm temperatures in my room (my heater fan), as I don't store my fragrances in a fridge. I dunno. But it is still AWESOME layered with Amouage Jubilation. I promise you guys...GIVE IT A TRY! :-)

I bet I would like Joop! Homme a lot more if everyone I know who wore it didn't saturate themselves. With a light hand, I bet it would play out more like Rochas Man, which I think is very pleasant.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Lately when I wear this, there's something in the dry down that rubs me the wrong way. I consider that the scent may have deteriorated some due to occassionally warm temperatures in my room (my heater fan), as I don't store my fragrances in a fridge. I dunno. But it is still AWESOME layered with Amouage Jubilation. I promise you guys...GIVE IT A TRY! :-)
    Out of interest, how do you layer these two? XXV first or JH? What is the spray ratio? 2 XXV to 1 JH? I'd like to try it, but don't want to waste my Amouage by getting it wrong!

Returning to a question on this thread: i was, at least judging by the box and bottle, the reformulated one, but NO significant difference in comparison to the vintage version noticed by my nose

The vintage has more patchuoli, tonka bean, tobacco and leather than the reformulated. I found this out through many tests.