Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Hi and Thank You for the Resource

Hi all, I'm from the middle of Pennsylvania and new to this forum and not at all a connoisseur of fragrances, but have learned a lot just reading here.

Thanks for the great resource.

The last time I bought cologne was probably 20 years ago, in high school, when I wanted to replace my Drakkar Noir since everyone at the prep school was wearing it and I wanted something different. I wound up with New West.

About a year ago a client gave me a bottle of Mauboussin Generation M and I started wearing it and liked it, but it seemed more appropriate for a club than the home/office/outdoors settings that I usually inhabit. Said client also introduced me to the blog of a New York socialite/dandy who posts photographs of himself in designer garb everyday in exotic locales, and always mentions his fragrance. It is always Creed, never GIT.

I hadn't worn cologne in almost 20 years, so I started looking for something else to wear, which led me here. The dandy blogger had me thinking about Creed. And that, coupled with the reading I'd done here, got me to yesterday... which I recount here.
    Last edited by clipper; 27th April 2012 at 06:04 AM.

Default Re: Hi and Thank You for the Resource

Welcome! Glad you are enjoying reading through the site, and I hope it helps you find some stuff that aligns with your tastes.

Thanks, Tappio; it's definitely helped me already, since I didn't "blind buy" a number of fragrances I was planning on buying without ever trying them. That would have been a big mistake, as I learned yesterday when I was very surprised by the samples I tested.

Banned

A fantastic jouney awaits you. Don't let the bumps ahead deter you.

&

Welcome and enjoy the learning experience!

Welcome! Look around and ask questions. Enjoy your journey

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to Basenotes clipper ! I hope you have a wonderful fragrant time here.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Looks like you are looking at some very high quality fragrances. Enjoy, and watch your pocketbook!
    Currently wearing: Windsor by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Thanks, Tappio; it's definitely helped me already, since I didn't "blind buy" a number of fragrances I was planning on buying without ever trying them. That would have been a big mistake, as I learned yesterday when I was very surprised by the samples I tested.
    You're already far ahead in the game then, since it seems like a lot of people immediately go on a blind buying spree after discovering Basenotes! I foolishly went on a buying binge and ended giving away about 15 bottles I never use to family and friends, so I'm glad to see you are avoiding this pitfall.

As for the list you posted in your other thread, I think you are looking at some great stuff there. You are right about Aramis, as I recently became a first-time uncle and bought Aramis a few months after my nephew was born. And if you are looking at GIT, you can usually find it through the online discounters for about $120 or so. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Looks like you are looking at some very high quality fragrances. Enjoy, and watch your pocketbook!
    Lol, the wallet is always in check, even if I don't want it to be. I never tried many of the designer fragrances that are more popular and affordable, so I've started and after my experience with GIT I went for a tester of Aspen yesterday, thinking it would present a similar (or the same, as some people seem to think) scent at a better price point. Honestly, the Aspen sample I tried didn't present anything like the GIT I tried. The Aspen smelled astringent and chemical and "light" compared to GIT. I have yet to try Cool Water, but will within the next week.

I also tried some XS by Paco R and found it too sweet for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    You're already far ahead in the game then, since it seems like a lot of people immediately go on a blind buying spree after discovering Basenotes! I foolishly went on a buying binge and ended giving away about 15 bottles I never use to family and friends, so I'm glad to see you are avoiding this pitfall.
    My credit card was out and I was ready to buy Creed Imperial Millesime on a number of occasions, but I just had to hold back and tell myself to have patience. Man, it paid off since I did not like that scent on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    As for the list you posted in your other thread, I think you are looking at some great stuff there. You are right about Aramis, as I recently became a first-time uncle and bought Aramis a few months after my nephew was born. And if you are looking at GIT, you can usually find it through the online discounters for about $120 or so. Good luck!
    LOL! They should just call it Uncle! And yeah, $120 seems to be the going rate for a bottle of GIT with a reputable online seller.

Thanks!
    Last edited by clipper; 28th April 2012 at 08:43 AM.

.. Sorry, duplicate post.
    Last edited by clipper; 28th April 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Banned

Welcome!