Code of Conduct

Default venturing into the world or arabian perfumes and perfume oils, seek advice

as the title describes it, i would like to venture into, experiment with and experience the arabic perfumes and would like some advice in terms of which should i start with first, i.e. al rehab, surrati, al haramain, rasasi, al qurashi, etc. which is the most reputable, has the highest quality, the choice is mindblowing and confusing and i would buy mostly blind. thank you.

ps 'world of arabian perfumes' not 'or'.. can't change the title
    Last edited by danny1967; 27th April 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Default Re: venturing into the world or arabian perfumes and perfume oils, seek advice

I'm not an expert, some of our friends from the Gulf should chime in.

A general warning is that, as for western perfumery, the quality varies a lot, also within reputable brands. For instance, I've had wonderful stuff from Al Quraishi, but then also a horrid, hair-raising, and not cheap either, blind purchase. Also, as you probably know, Arabian perfumers work in oil, in my experience, alcohol based perfumes are not particularly good, I don't think the local perfumers have mastered the form. And remember that oils need time to bloom on the skin, they may appear subdued at first.

But you're lucky because you are in London, where I am sure you can find a lot of stuff, at all price levels, from high street top brands to cheaper stuff found in ethnic stores. I know there is an $$$$ Amouage store (for the oils) and an $$$$ Arabian oud store, so you can start from those to get some ideas (I don't know if there is Al Quraishi as well, but there is probably). These would carry top, very expensive oils. Among the ones I've tried and liked, the known Amouage Tribute, Amouage Molook (ambergis), Al Quraishi Cambodi smoked aged oud, and Arabian oud al azerya (which our own orgoglio italiano absolutely loves).

I have spotty experiences with regular priced ones. I like a lot Swiss Arabian Mukhallat Malaki (a powerful synth oud, which has been discussed extensively in this forum) and Mukhallat al Shahama (amber-oud). (Of course, Swiss arabian does the unbreathable Jannet al Firdawsi, concentrated cheap soapy in a bottle.)

cacio

Blog Entries

Default Re: venturing into the world or arabian perfumes and perfume oils, seek advice

There must be various threads about this topic, and I am too new here to know how to dig them up.

AL HARAMAIN has a good reputation. Of this place, I have three gorgeous perfume blends,

Attar Al Kaaba, Haneen and Marwah. Those are very wearable.

I found these two on line shops very reliable:

www.islamicitems.net - located in the U.K.

http://perfume.zahras.com - located in Saudi Arabia

Good luck. Be discerning, there are good and mediocre items on the market.
    Last edited by Ursula; 27th April 2012 at 05:10 PM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

As Ursula was saying, I've shopped at zahras as well. The first time, I asked them to choose for me a set of samples of different brands/types of scents (about $70), which turned out to be an excellent intro to different houses and materials. (A later blind purchase suggested by them was horrid, though).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'm not an expert, some of our friends from the Gulf should chime in.

A general warning is that, as for western perfumery, the quality varies a lot, also within reputable brands. For instance, I've had wonderful stuff from Al Quraishi, but then also a horrid, hair-raising, and not cheap either, blind purchase. Also, as you probably know, Arabian perfumers work in oil, in my experience, alcohol based perfumes are not particularly good, I don't think the local perfumers have mastered the form. And remember that oils need time to bloom on the skin, they may appear subdued at first.

But you're lucky because you are in London, where I am sure you can find a lot of stuff, at all price levels, from high street top brands to cheaper stuff found in ethnic stores. I know there is an $$$$ Amouage store (for the oils) and an $$$$ Arabian oud store, so you can start from those to get some ideas (I don't know if there is Al Quraishi as well, but there is probably). These would carry top, very expensive oils. Among the ones I've tried and liked, the known Amouage Tribute, Amouage Molook (ambergis), Al Quraishi Cambodi smoked aged oud, and Arabian oud al azerya (which our own orgoglio italiano absolutely loves).

I have spotty experiences with regular priced ones. I like a lot Swiss Arabian Mukhallat Malaki (a powerful synth oud, which has been discussed extensively in this forum) and Mukhallat al Shahama (amber-oud). (Of course, Swiss arabian does the unbreathable Jannet al Firdawsi, concentrated cheap soapy in a bottle.)

cacio
    thank you very much cacio, as always great input and tons of information, your help is invaluable and always appreciated. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    There must be various threads about this topic, and I am too new here to know how to dig them up.

AL HARAMAIN has a good reputation. Of this place, I have three gorgeous perfume blends,

Attar Al Kaaba, Haneen and Marwah. Those are very wearable.

I found these two on line shops very reliable:

www.islamicitems.net - located in the U.K.

http://perfume.zahras.com - located in Saudi Arabia

Good luck. Be discerning, there are good and mediocre items on the market.
    thank you ursula, i will be careful, that's why i've started this thread, to get some info first. i have read previous threads on the subject but there are sketchy at best.. i wanted to talk to someone who's had first hand experience with these perfumes. thanks again

I have 4 Al Haramain perfumes, and one Ajmal.

by Al Haramain:

Attar al Mafuz.....This is a nice one. It's warm, rosey, musky, oudy. My favorite.

Mena....Bright, loud, fruity, clean. This one may be right for clubbing or going to amusement parks and parties.

Barakah.....Sweet floral, with some oud. It's nice, but not magnificent. Beautiful cut glass bottle.

Muhkallat 2001....Oud and dirty white musk. On the white musk scale, this one would be one of the dirtier ones. Sounds like an oxymoron, but it's the best way I can describe it.

I've tried Haneen, Safa, Sedra (oil), and Musk Ghazal (oil). Haneen is o.k., but it's not the rose I was expecting. Safa is very sweet, synthetic floral....very "laundry detergent". Sedra is an oil version of Montale Red Aoud, but with a bit more grit.

The only Ajmal I have is Musk Ghazelle AA. It's sweet and nasty! I little bottle would last for years.

Banned

Tread carefully, and I would not buy anything blind.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Tread carefully, and I would not buy anything blind.
    I agree. Try getting a sample pack if you can. As interesting as the oils were none were wearable in public.

Blog Entries

AL HARAMAIN - Attar Al Kaaba

is wearable in public, there was not one person who did NOT like it.

I have been thinking for the last several days and while this site was down about starting a thread just like this one. So you can bet that I will be watching this one closely.

This part of the world has no Arabic stores whatsoever. I have no chance to sample anything locally and I don't travel much. I do remember one man who came into my store that I am sure was from the middle east. He was wearing the most amazing fragrance that was the woodiest thing I ever smelled, and the projection and silage was incredible. I so wanted to ask what he was wearing but before I could he was gone. I have no idea if he was wearing a pure Aoud of some sort or some other fragrance...damn, I wish I knew.

Looking forward to this thread growing and the learning process that replies might afford.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have been thinking for the last several days and while this site was down about starting a thread just like this one. So you can bet that I will be watching this one closely.

This part of the world has no Arabic stores whatsoever. I have no chance to sample anything locally and I don't travel much. I do remember one man who came into my store that I am sure was from the middle east. He was wearing the most amazing fragrance that was the woodiest thing I ever smelled, and the projection and silage was incredible. I so wanted to ask what he was wearing but before I could he was gone. I have no idea if he was wearing a pure Aoud of some sort or some other fragrance...damn, I wish I knew.

Looking forward to this thread growing and the learning process that replies might afford.
    Hi, you are in Oregon, U.S.A. - but you have the convenience of ordering via the computer/internet. Please read my post #3 in this topic, where I listed the two stores where I bought my amazing Arabic perfume oil BLENDS.

Good luck. The U.K. website is fast, and the Saudi Arabia website is 3 or 4 weeks long to deliver to NYC, but both are VERY reliable.

Heya,

I am very interested in starting venture with perfume oils as well. Maybe we could share with our research? I am living In Ireland.

Regards

Linda

- - - Updated - - -

Would anybody know the source where I could get list of the benefits of Arabian perfume oils? Thank you!

Hi all,

I wanted to post this in the Al Rehab thread, but it's still in the Temporary Huddler archive, so I'll post here.

I just received my set of 12 concentrated perfume oils, all alcohol free, from Al Rehab / Crown Perfumes. They are all 3ml roll ons. I bought them on eBay from Zahras boutique.

So far I have tried three :

Amber Rose - lovely subtle rose

Mokhallat Al Rehab - starts sharply and goes on to become quite sweet. Nice

Oudy - Al Rehab are to be congratulated for putting somehting out that actually smells as if it comes from nature, from a fungus and from a tree. It is fecal, stanky and very compelling - I would never wear it in public.

All these descriptions are a bit brief. I'll report back later with more.

Here are some photos :

AlRehab6.jpgAlRehab5.jpgAlRehab4.jpgAlRehab3.jpgAlRehab2.jpgAlRehab1.jpg
    Last edited by Paul P; 13th November 2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: More information

Not sure how ACTIVE this thread is, but it seems like an appropriate place to throw out one I am interested in.

I had my eyes on Amouage's Silver Oud attar (the oud component of Homage) and often described as a very smooth, aged (and not overly barnyardy) introduction to a blend that is primarily pure oud oil. Alas, as you probably know, the days of these attars are over, either permanently or temporarily (in which case, it will be the greatest marketing ploy ever to drive up prices on the internet)

Anyway, someone recommended Al Qurashi's...

Abdul Samad Al Qurashi 16 yr old oud Dhen Al Oud Cambodi Matak Mubakhar Qadeem

(yes, a mouthful) as rumored to be a very nice AGED oud with a similar vibe to the Amouage above. Would anyone have any experience with this? I understand that there is a smoked version of the same blend of Cambodian Oud, but I believe this is the non-smoked aged edition.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

I have the ASAQ you mention, in the smoked form. I believe this one is the smoked one - one of the words must mean so, but our Arabian friends should chime in.

In any case, it's a good, dry and woody oud. I have not smelled the Amouage, so I cannot say how it compares. Having smelled a recent version of Homage, which smelled like a plain neroli without any oud, this doesn't smell like that at all. It's definitely a woody oud, not as barnyardy as others, perhaps, but drier.

cacio

Mubakher means smoked. Muttaq or moattaq means aged. Qadeem means very old, ancient.

I own this Qurashi oil. It is very good. Smoked oils do have a different character than unsmoked oils, different enough to use caution when buying as they may be something you don't expect. The Qurashi is smoky and very woody, a little astringent or tannic, very dry as cacio said, and not very barnyardy.

I haven't worn it in a long time, but that is how I remember it. I cannot say if it is like the Amouage, since I've never tried Silver Oud. Ditto for Homage, as I have only tried the more recent neroli dominant version.
    Last edited by noggs; 11th May 2014 at 03:17 AM.

Basenotes Plus

This is a great thread, and I will be watching it too. Interested in the attars and oils. Thank you to all the contributors who are sharing their knowledge and experience. I really want to try some of the oud oils too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

Also, having had an avid interest and study of the Sufi faith is another reason why I have an interest in the oils and fragrances from the region...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Thank you, Cacio and Noggs. That helps. I was told that this was the UNSMOKED version, but the name, as you translate it, makes it sound otherwise. Love smoke, but would rather not mix it too much with what I hope to be a smooth, woody oud. Zahras is (hopefully) sending me a paper blotter of this one with an order I placed a few weeks back. I have the older white box Homage. Even so... I don't see it as an Oud (more of a citrus rose) and the reference above was merely what led me to look into their pure silver oud oil. Other attars include Tribute, Moolook, Afra, Asrar, and Badr al Badour (on the way). No need to warn me; I am not expecting something so western (or better put... unchallenging) from a Qurashi, and that is precisely what I am looking for - a pure oud oil that is a good transition into the genre hasn΄t been too pampered to meet international tastes.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 12th May 2014 at 12:12 AM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    as the title describes it, i would like to venture into, experiment with and experience the arabic perfumes and would like some advice in terms of which should i start with first, i.e. al rehab, surrati, al haramain, rasasi, al qurashi, etc. which is the most reputable, has the highest quality, the choice is mindblowing and confusing and i would buy mostly blind. thank you.

ps 'world of arabian perfumes' not 'or'.. can't change the title
    In enjoy the Surrati I tried in Jeddah recently. They are definitely worth exploring.

In your list of Amouage, I think that the only oud is Badr al Badour, which is a good, rich oud. I own Molook, and it's a wonderful ambergris based attar, no oud, just shiny ambergris with all its animalic touches. If I am not wrong, Afra and Asrar are more floral, but I could be wrong.

I think ASAQ also has a 16-yr (or simillar) aged Cambodi oud, I have not smelled it, but that's probably what you were looking for.

cacio

I've tried a few of the Amouage attars such as Molook (May have been Cacio that I got the sample from), which as he states is more about ambergris and rose than Oud. I had Badr Al Boadour which does have a discernible Oud note but is more about the creamy sandalwood and not much rose, very nicely blended and devoid of any animalic notes IMO, smooth and I would say reminiscent of scents like Tam Dao, Santal Imperial and Bois de Santal with an eastern flair. I think member Str8shooter may have the silver Oud you speak of and gives asf-dubaishop.com as a good source for the attars. At the end of the day and as good as they are I'd rather get a smooth, pure Cambodi/Trat/Borneo Oud or attar from AgarAura, Ensar Oud or Oudimentary, as I find the Amouge attars laden with synthetics.
    Last edited by PEARL; 12th May 2014 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    I've tried a few of the Amouage attars such as Molook (May have been Cacio that I got the sample from), which as he states is more about ambergris and rose than Oud. I had Badr Al Boadour which does have a discernible Oud note but is more about the creamy sandalwood and not much rose, very nicely blended and devoid of any animalic notes IMO, smooth and I would say reminiscent of scents like Tam Dao, Santal Imperial and Bois de Santal with an eastern flair. I think member Str8shooter may have the silver Oud you speak of and gives asf-dubaishop.com as a good source for the attars. At the end of the day and as good as they are I'd rather get a smooth, pure Cambodi/Trat/Borneo Oud or attar from AgarAura, Ensar Oud or Oudimentary, as I find the Amouge attars laden with synthetics.
    I definitely agree with the last sentence here. Let's support naturals. You will not get better quality than buying from the 3 vendors listed in the last sentence above, and the prices can be just as good as the higher quality synthetic oils. To me, there is no need to waste time with all of the other middle eastern "houses". Bypass them and get on with it.