Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ever embarrassed to reaveal which fragrance you're wearing if its expensive?

Yesterday I was wearing Le Labo Bergamote 22 when a male coworker asked me what I was wearing. I froze. There was no way I was going to tell this guy that I was wearing a $240 fragrance. I said "uhhh...I think it's just my deodorant." He wasn't buying it. "Nah, smells like cologne to me. I'm looking for a new cologne. That one smells really good. What is it?" Me "Uhhh....I forget the name." He says "well if you remember, write it down for me."

I think most people who aren't interested in this hobby couldn't fathom spending that much money on a fragrance, and actually, I have a hard time with that price point myself. I got mine in a split!

So, what would you do in this situation? Tell him proudly? Lie? Ignore him and walk away?

Default Re: Ever embarrassed to reaveal which fragrance you're wearing if its expensive?

I have done the same thing. I think I was resisting the propensity to prattle on about fragrances because I can't stand it when someone goes on and on about their hobby as if I'm interested. Ever have someone start talking NASCAR with you when you have zero interest? That said....

I have had the same awkward reaction, so I played it off with an "I'm not sure..." knowing full well what I was wearing. Particularly since I live in an area where ADG is considered high-end. If I say "Creed Green Irish Tweed" I'll be met with a "wha-a-aT?" Then I'd be tempted to go into the history of the Creed empire and explain that it was made for Cary Grant, etc. I worry that no one would care, and then when I tell them it's not available locally, I may seem like a snob. Then when I hit them with the price? Yeah....I think I prefer avoiding those moments.

Then again, maybe we are missing opportunities to indoctrinate someone and welcome them to our fraternity.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Ever embarrassed to reaveal which fragrance you're wearing if its expensive?

You can tell him what it is without telling him how much it costs. I don't own any niche, so for me this is not a problem. On the other end of the spectrum though, I felt a little embaressed telling a female co- worker that I was wearing Michael Jordan Legend when she complimented me and asked what i was wearing.

If he or she asked about the fragrance and wanted to know the price, I would tell the person proudly which I have always done regardless of the cost.
    (1092)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

When asked what I'm wearing, I always answer honestly. Why deprive someone of the joy of smelling great

As for price, I'm with hednic but if you feel awkward about revealing how expensive your fragrance is, tell them you got it as a gift.

I'd tell him proudly, no reason to be ashamed. You can tell him you got it in a split as well, if you like. If you briefly say that fumes are your hobby, I'm sure he'll understand. And if not, who cares.

The only time I've ever been embarrassed to tell someone what I was wearing is when I begrudgingly told a female colleague I was wearing "Moon Sparkle" (by Escada). She laughed her head off and said that no man should ever admit to wearing something called "Moon Sparkle" (despite telling me I smelled nice). This was six or seven years ago, and she still teases me about it today.

From now on, I will just say, "Aventus."

@DEMON - glad to know I'm not alone!

@Timmy - he asked because he wanted to buy it for himself. He would've no doubt gone home and googled it, and then choked on the price. I would have taken a slight ribbing today.

@hedic - thanks, I should just tell him.

@caferacer - solid advice, thanks!

@danieq - thanks! I work in a very male dominated environment, revealing that I have an addiction to perfume may have some repercussions lol.

@BRM85282 - funny situation. Gotta say, I agree with your friend. WTF was Escada thinking?!
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 3rd December 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    So, what would you do in this situation? Tell him proudly? Lie? Ignore him and walk away?
    I had the same situation y'day!!!

Anyways, my response totally depends on the person asking about it at the work place; if they are someone I get along well & have no issues, i normally tell them the name & sometimes even send them the review links from both BN & Fragrantica of the parfum. If I hardly know them / have trust issues, then I just say a cheaper cologne's name that has similar notes / close to it, to avoid issues. Last thing you want from someone who does not like you at the workplace is them saying that XXXYYY was wearing a $300 parfum to work etc etc...

This is only for workplace questions or from strangers, particularly revealing the cost; with family / friends, i have no issues telling the name / costs etc...
    Last edited by badarun; 3rd December 2013 at 05:23 PM.

Just tell them what it is. If you don't feel comfortable telling the price you can simply say it is a small sample you got and that bottles are expensive.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Yeah…when you live in a small hick town where they consider anything over a dollar to be expensive, you definitely don't tell them how much a fragrance that you are wearing is. I am co-owner of a company in my small town and we provide internet, cable, telephone, and cell phone service. People always come in saying that we are ripping them off even though our prices are FAR lower than you could find just about anywhere else…because of that they have decided that I an my brother (the other owner) are rich beyond measure…which is FAR FAR from the truth…so, if I were to tell anyone in this here small town how much one of my more expensive fragrances was, I would have a mob with pitchforks and torches at my door ready to hang me on the nearest tree. This sounds dramatic…which it is (a little).

So…for my wife and I, we consider our fragrances as our dark little secrets. If people insist on asking what I am wearing, which has been maybe 2 people, I tell them what it is, and I say that it's quite expensive…but I just have a free sample of it so that's how come I have it and am wearing it. So, I guess that I'm lying, but it's just to ward off the mobs so that's a good thing right?

I'll tell them the name of the fragrance, it's good to let some people know a little about upper scale scents and that people are really passionate about this.

A few people have asked what scent I was wearing when it was a more expensive scent and I gladly tell them the name. When they ask about the price I'm honest with saying it and mention that a lot of the time there are ways to find it for a reduced price whether online or through splits.

I once was wearing GIT and a friend loved the smell on me, asked where he could get some and wasn't really deterred by the price, he even went about to try and find some deals for it. He said it just goes to show that paying more gives you better quality at times, which can be true.

Depends on the individual I guess.

Yesterday I was wearing Le Labo Bergamote 22 when a male coworker asked me what I was wearing. I froze. There was no way I was going to tell this guy that I was wearing a $240 fragrance. I said "uhhh...I think it's just my deodorant." He wasn't buying it. "Nah, smells like cologne to me. I'm looking for a new cologne. That one smells really good. What is it?" Me "Uhhh....I forget the name." He says "well if you remember, write it down for me."

I think most people who aren't interested in this hobby couldn't fathom spending that much money on a fragrance, and actually, I have a hard time with that price point myself. I got mine in a split!

totally agree with you, but I go ahead and tell them it can be had in a split for the fraction of the msrp price and they go Huhhhhhh , and you trust that....they reply! Nevertheless if press about it, I would just spilled the beans and say... yeah it cost 345.00 usd pre-tax for 2.5 oz but you can find it for cheaper if you do your do diligence at finding credible vendor beside direct manufacturer .....and they go,,,NO I don't pay more then 50-90 on a frag.....so yes, I guess it can get a little hairy explaining....so I do subscribe to your sentiments and do likewise at times with specific individuals....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Never felt, so far, embarrassed by a fragrance in general nor to reveal the price, ONLY if asked, in particular. Also, in any discussion, interactions, never tended to brag if the fragrance was expensive nor to be ashamed, suddenly become avoiding, shy, silent etc. if the fragrance was cheap.

In general, try to discuss and/or to handle this topic according to the interlocutor and, if the interest is there and openly discussed, with as little embarrassment and as much information, as possible.

Unless it is someone I dislike I'd simply tell them the name. E.g. "It's Clive Christian No. 1 for women, Father Thomas."

Haha, tell him it's Mugler Cologne...not too far off and about 1/4 the price.

The only time I have been embarrassed to tell someone what I was wearing is when I'm wearing Malle's French Lover. Lol...... I would rather own up to wearing Jovan's Sex Appeal For Men than French Lover.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Just tell them what it is. If you don't feel comfortable telling the price you can simply say it is a small sample you got and that bottles are expensive.
    This is exactly what I do - particularly to people I know well. I am a little embarrassed to say Aventus, Interlude Man, Tuscan Leather and even some rather expensive (but great value) Chanel exclusives. I'll usually tell somebody that I'm just testing out a little sample of one of these. Why? I'm not worried about whether THEY can afford them - I worry more about revealing how much I spend on a fragrance, especially since I'm not particularly wealthy by a long shot!

So I guess it's my own paranoia!
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Banned
    Blog Entries

if I did not like the person I would say Kouros..
    if I did I would tell them something the wife bought me for Valentine's Day or something..
    No need for 2 dudes at the same job to wear the same scent..

My buddy wore Sean John for like 8 months straight..
    I am unable to wear it because of him..

Only time I lied was when I rather large woman asked me what I was wearing. I was wearing Fat Electrician at the time. I wasn't sure if she would believe that, so I just said "Gucci Pour Homme" -- 1st thing that came to my mind... after imagining how she would look at me if I said "Fat Electrician"

Some hilarious anecdotes in this thread! Bravo basenoters.

I agree with Ken_Russell, it depends somewhat on the situation.

I can't recall any man ever asking me what I was wearing, and most women I've encountered that I've discussed fragrance with seem to have no problem with the idea of spending a lot on a bottle if it's good.

I've never hesitated to answer truthfully, and it's rare that I've been asked how much it costs; usually they are just interested in what it's called and maybe where they can get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The only time I have been embarrassed to tell someone what I was wearing is when I'm wearing Malle's French Lover. Lol...... I would rather own up to wearing Jovan's Sex Appeal For Men than French Lover.
    With this one you're in luck, you can tell them it's Bois d'Orage.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Only time I lied was when I rather large woman asked me what I was wearing. I was wearing Fat Electrician at the time. I wasn't sure if she would believe that, so I just said "Gucci Pour Homme" -- 1st thing that came to my mind... after imagining how she would look at me if I said "Fat Electrician"
    This was to funny. I have been in similar circumstances and it's easier to tell a white lie so to speak.

For me I never try to high brow or high hat anybody. If they are really interested I will spill the beans but I have to go on a case by case basis generally.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    only time i lied was when i rather large woman asked me what i was wearing. I was wearing fat electrician at the time. I wasn't sure if she would believe that, so i just said "gucci pour homme" -- 1st thing that came to my mind... After imagining how she would look at me if i said "fat electrician"
    LoL!

To answer your question JH: Yes, I'd feel a little awkward about it. Especially if it was just a coworker, and not somebody with whom I felt particularly close.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

If you don't like the person asking, you can tell them it's some horrible cheap swill and trick them into wearing it and smelling less than dandy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    LoL!

To answer your question JH: Yes, I'd feel a little awkward about it. Especially if it was just a coworker, and not somebody with whom I felt particularly close.
    And if she just so HAPPENED to be an electrician....

Have no problem letting someone know what I'm wearing and the cost. The more future basenoters, the better.

If I'm asked, I always tell what I'm wearing. In other words, if someone pays me a compliment, I thank them, but if they specifically ask for the name of what I'm wearing, I tell them. Excluding something like dougczar's story above, I don't understand why anyone would lie. I think it's amazing how much people hate being lied to, but those same people find it easy to excuse their own lies. The Golden Rule is always the way to go.

I've never met anyone who recognized the name of what I was wearing unless it was a really common designer. And when I say really common, I don't mean common here on basenotes. I mean common - REALLY common - among everyday people. The average person hasn't even heard of things we, here, consider to be mainstream, like Creed or Bond no. 9.

I've never been asked how much something costs, but I'll admit, that would make me feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't lie about it, but I'd also mention ways of saving on a purchase like that (seriously, btw, if you're not using ebates, you're passing up free money. And to whichever one of you turned me onto ebates... I owe you a beer!!!). Luckily, as I said, I've never been asked about how much something costs. I think the average person assumes all perfume costs roughly the same prices and probably thinks of something like Terre d'Hermes, which sits at the higher end of prices at Sephora, as being expensive since it's closer to $100.

The only time I've ever discussed prices was when I scored a bottle of Royal Oud on amazon. I WAS STOKED!!! I had a date that night and she complimented me, which of course made my day since it was my first time wearing the stuff. I said "Thanks! I got it on Amazon for $72!" And then I felt like an idiot because I realized she had no way of knowing Royal Oud sells for $350. Nor would she care.

That's the thing about this as a hobby and/or a passion. We get it because we're THAT into it. The average person has no clue because it's not one of their interests or passions. It's like photography. I could talk about the electronic viewfinder in my Sony A77 and how it represents the biggest leap in photography since the first digital SLR. If you're a photographer, you'd get it (and perhaps find the comment downright blasphemous). But unless you're really into photography - particularly on the tech side - the comment would be mostly meaningless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Have no problem letting someone know what I'm wearing and the cost. The more future basenoters, the better.
    If I knew the costs before I got into this, I'd NEVER have joined basenotes. I love this site, but sheeeeeesh, you people cost me a fortune!!!!!!!!!

Then again, to be fair, I've sent out so many samples that I've probably cost a few of you a small fortune too...
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I've been in the same situation, particularly with GIT and Aventus. It is awkward...but I'm a CEO, so if they google it they'll probably say "well, he can afford it!". I just don't worry about it and tell them flat out. We all make decisions about what is important to us.

For example, I bought two new suits from Express last week for half-off. That's $400 for 2 suits. I'm not a snob...I like good deals, but I will over pay for great colognes before I over pay for great clothes.

I bought my dress shirt I'm wearing today at Target. My tie from tiebar.com ($15).

I just skimp in some areas to save cash for cologne.

I don't feel bad about telling people what I'm wearing- most of my niche options were purchased as samples/decants, and non-hobbyists are usually amazed to learn that there are options besides buying full bottles! I do tend to get shy when I'm not confident about my pronunciation, generally with French names.

Basenotes Plus

@danieq - thanks! I work in a very male dominated environment, revealing that I have an addiction to perfume may have some repercussions lol.
    Well, this I understand.

I have 2 answers.

1. Tell it like it is, Chuck Norris style. ( It's not what you say, but how you say it...)

2. Once in a while, I'm a comedian. I make things up. Like, "Oh, this is called....Midnight Wee Wee, por homme, by Coocoo lito....I think its french, maybe Italian..."

I don't usually tell which fragrance i'm wearing but the reason why i'm not willing to tell it is not the price of the fragrance. I think it's my own business. But if a beautiful woman is curious of my fragrance, i might do an exception
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I always tell what i'm wearing if someone asks. I don't really care what they think of me and how much i pay for things.

If you do tell him and he does talk shit to you about how much it costs, i think i'd just tell him that apparently its worth the cost because he seemed to like it. You just have the want to pay the price of admission. You always get what you pay for. Maybe he likes to spend his money on Nascar memorabilia like someone else mentioned.

Another thing i'd like to mention, years ago i used to give a bit of info along with revealing what i'm wearing. I get complimented and asked what i'm wearing every day. But now, i just give them the name. I was wearing Amouage Jubilation and someone practically followed me to find out what it was. I told them and then gave them a brief chunk of company info. They had the most uninterested look on their face. I was pissed off for wasting my 5 minutes i'll never get back. So i don't do that any more. Thats what the internet is for i guess.

I always tell if I'm asked. But I'll try to avoid telling them about the cost.

I think of it this way, If they're really interested, they'll find it by themselves. They'll search about it in the internet using the name I gave them.

Someone hates me? No, I don't really care. Go search the cost of the perfume I'm wearing, go tell everyone and look at my "idgaf" face...

Perfume is like a piece of clothe. You wear it, You picked it yourself, You're proud of it. Except when you wear it from samples in first times. Where you don't know if you gonna like it but then you just don't like it at all after a few hours. Like you're wearing some clothes which you think you'll do okay wearing it but it turns out it's not.

I got a lot of compliment lately. And many asked me for the name. And some of them are into fragrance like me.

I'm kinda regretting this sometime. This gonna cost them a lot. Sorry friends!

no, not really.

and it's not likely they'll know how much a fragrance costs, because they aren't as savy on fragrances as we are

I usually preface the fact that I'll invariably mispronounce either the house or fragrance name that lessens the blow of what I'll tell them. It usually segues into a conversation or discussion of this hobby/habit/addiction and then I tell them where it can be bought, about this forum and how there's really not a fragrance anonymous (that I know of) and keeps the conversation from dipping into price in a way that could make the person that's asking feel as if I'm holding the price over their heads.

So far, it's worked. Today, I was wearing a blend that the Creed SA at Neiman Marcus in Charlotte made for me when I bought my last atomizer of Royal Oud, Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial which sounds like a real mess, but she mixed it up right there, filled the bottle and it's definitely a one of a kind scent that really defies the longevity issues I have with them independently. Explaining this, and the price of the atomizer and the individual price of each if purchased separately, he just said "You think she'd do the same for me?" and the conversation stayed light and heck... he might be reading this now due to mentioning this forum.

So no. I've never swayed from telling folks what I'm wearing. I just use it as an excuse to talk to people - I'm a definite people person. Now... when they ask if they can borrow stuff, that's when I shut them down.

I only get asked for the name, rarely the price. If asked, I tell and leave it up to the other person to be either nonplussed or surprised.

A co-worker (good taste, but not a frag aficionado) who loved the way that Royal Oud smelled recently bought a bottle after I identified it for him. He's now thinking of adding Fou d'Absinthe to his collection too.

You never know, sharing your acquisitions can even open the hobby up for other people!

I've got the exact opposite problem! Since all I own are cheapos, I cringe when they ask the name and price and I'm like "oh, its Franck Olivier/Jeanne Arthes/Samba/Perry Ellis/Ect. and its $15-20 for a big bottle" lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I've got the exact opposite problem! Since all I own are cheapos, I cringe when they ask the name and price and I'm like "oh, its Franck Olivier/Jeanne Arthes/Samba/Perry Ellis/Ect. and its $15-20 for a big bottle" lol
    One of my most highly complimented scents is Curve. Yes, Curve! It's the only thing I own that I dread being asked what it is.

I've always meant to get my nose on Perry Ellis M. I've read so many good things about that one. There are some amazing cheapie bargains to be found.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Yeah, I suppose you have a point there. I sometimes forget how merciless people can be.

If you're uncomfortable telling someone because of the price, just say it was a gift

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've already told curious passer by's in stores what I was wearing when they asked. I think it's the point where they say "oOo! I'm gonna go buy a bottle today"

I think thats where you have to chime in with a quick.. "awesome! it sure is a pricey devil but it's so worth it"

I would have given the correct name and said it was a gift.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the suggestion of saying it was a gift, and the sample idea is even better. I think if he presses me again for the name, I'll just tell him, and also let him know about fragrance splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    +1. This is what I do as well. I just tell them I have a small sample and I use that.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    The only time I've ever been embarrassed to tell someone what I was wearing is when I begrudgingly told a female colleague I was wearing "Moon Sparkle" (by Escada). She laughed her head off and said that no man should ever admit to wearing something called "Moon Sparkle" (despite telling me I smelled nice). This was six or seven years ago, and she still teases me about it today.

From now on, I will just say, "Aventus."
    Ugh. That happened to me once. I worked with a macho guy who was sniper in Vietnam and had to tell him I was wearing Liz Clairborne Mambo. I coundnt think fast enough to make something up I guess.

Its best to make something up or say you dont know if youre wearing an expensive frag. "Regular" people will not understand. Or just say its a sample your wife/gf gave you.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Wow, interesting thread. It hasn't happened much to me in the past since most of my favorites haven't been extravagant.

It is kind of a wake up call to me, though, because I am about to move to the big leagues, and hadn't thought about the consequences. Like it or not, the reality is that, while we may appreciate these fine things enough to spend our money that way, I personally would prefer to minimize any negative impact in the workplace, particularly. I like frags though, because, unlike certain readily-recognizable high end clothing items, all people know is "wow, you smell great!" I'm the kind of person who is completely content with enjoying it while having some control over its anonymity.

I agree with the comments about having others with the same frag in the same workplace. Hey, they can find it the same way I did. Sorry, but if I didn't mind smelling like every other guy, I'd just wear the same handful of garden variety everybody else wears. Can you imagine hearing "(your name) smells like John" or "John smells like (your name)".

It IS an interesting subject though. I like how everyone is approaching it. I'm just glad that I'm preparing for the inevitable moment so I hopefully handle it appropriately.

A recent BN joiner and at 51, when I have more discretionary income to more easily afford finer things, and realize that in many ways, they don't cost that much more (ie clothing that looks better, longer, etc), I am beginning to refine my appreciation of fine frags. I am learning a lot and enjoying the camaraderie of very real (for the most part) down to earth people.

I have fallen in love with Creed after many skin tests of all kinds, and I haven't smelled anything close to that quality in my office of around 100 people, so it's probably going to get attention at some time.

NO I don't mind , in fact I revel in it lol but nobody asks the price, they just ask what are you wearing thats it.

I think for me it also goes for fragrances with obscure or long names.

I hated sounding like a weirdo saying "Spiritueuse Double Vanille" every time someone asked...

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    I hated sounding like a weirdo saying "Spiritueuse Double Vanille" every time someone asked...
    Hahaha! Exactly! Would we look like weirdos if, when asked, we produced a pre-printed card with the name on it and handed it to em? Hahaha

Hey maybe there's an angle.

Get some cards from an SA who is willing to give you some kickback for referrals, when you know its something thats gonna get questions. Win-Win

The only difficulty I've ever had in that situation is when the perfume is called something I don't really want to say in front of everyone in my open plan office, like What We Do in Paris is Secret. Or Putain des Palaces. Philippine Houseboy?

The subject of price has never come up, but I wouldn't be embarrassed. I'd probably say something like, "well, it's not cheap" and let them figure it out. Hasn't been an issue yet.

In the days when I was wearing only Joop Femme and Paco Rabanne's Mētāl, I shared name and price, if asked. No Idea what I'll say about the beauties obsessing me now.

Usually just don't tell the price (considering Malle or Chanel Exclusive) or name - that's why my father is wearing CDG Incense Avignon (he's a russian cab driver by the way).

Basenotes Plus

I hate myself when I lie..
    Just say it's expensive, very expensive...
    I would also say "It was a gift" just leave out, a gift from me to me

Never thought about it.
    I told a coworker I was wearing Songe D'Un Bois D'Été, but her only comment was that it wasn't available in Japan.

For some reason I felt kind of embarrassed telling a couple of people who told me I smell of hinoki (the tree) that I was wearing Hinoki by Comme des Garcons.

If the issue of cost comes up you could always affectedly reply: "I never look at the price tag, darling."
    Of course, that may leave an even stronger impression than the perfume.
    It's too bad you have to even give a damn, though I understand the dynamic of certain workplaces. Gotta fit in.

sent from a mobile device - please excuse any swelling mistakes
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm only embarrassed to reveal my crappy French in these situations. Should wear Italian fragrances more.

Ah, a hidden brag. To make things worse; my Italian isn't that great either.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Ugh. That happened to me once. I worked with a macho guy who was sniper in Vietnam and had to tell him I was wearing Liz Clairborne Mambo. I coundnt think fast enough to make something up I guess.

Its best to make something up or say you dont know if youre wearing an expensive frag. "Regular" people will not understand. Or just say its a sample your wife/gf gave you.
    Balls of steel you have to lie to a sniper. Say he goes and buys mambo one day, and can't wait to spray it. Then sprays it...and its not what it should be. Then vows to put an end to your lying tongue! lol

I'm really surprised so many people here are almost ashamed about the cost. It doesn't make you a bad person to be able to purchase these things. Nor do you owe anyone an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Balls of steel you have to lie to a sniper. Say he goes and buys mambo one day, and can't wait to spray it. Then sprays it...and its not what it should be. Then vows to put an end to your lying tongue! lol

I'm really surprised so many people here are almost ashamed about the cost. It doesn't make you a bad person to be able to purchase these things. Nor do you owe anyone an explanation.
    I think it has to do with the fact that some people care about their friends or colleagues at work, for example if you know someone who is broke and living paycheck to paycheck but they happen to like your 400$ fragrance then you'll feel somewhat ashamed to tell them about it because you know they can't afford it!

I don't exactly have any real expensive fragrances, but I kind of have the opposite problem where I might be hesitant to reveal that I'm wearing one of my cheapies. I mostly wear low to mid range designers (YSL, CK) but I like my drugstore and barbershop frags that can run $10 or less. I can imagine some of the women at my job rolling their eyes if I say I'm wearing English Leather, Canoe or Old Spice (I thoroughly enjoy them all!).

Also, I do own and enjoy Jovan Sex Appeal and it may very well be the one fragrance in my collection where I might downright lie about the name if asked. If that ever happens, I might just say it's Pierre Cardin as they do share a similarity to my nose.

Dependent

It depends on the person. If this is someone who has meager income I don't wanna flaunt the fact that I'm wearing a $700 fragrance. It's off putting and I wouldn't do it. Now, if its one of my buddies, I have no problem telling them how much my fragrances cost because I know that if they like it, they can go out n buy it the same day

A similar thing happened to me. A co-worker asked me what fragrance I was wearing, 'cause she wanted to buy it for her husband. I was wearing Aventus that day and wrote it down for her. I felt kind of awkward, 'cause I know she would never spent more than 40€ on a fragrance. But she didn't ask for the price, I was glad she didn't...