Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hiro Yoruzuka

Default Hiro Yoruzuka

Hiro does fragrance reviews on youtube. They are kind of interesting, but I was wondering if any of you basenoters think his opinion is to be respected? He seems to have a passion for fragrances and apparently owns many many bottles, including many expensive niches.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd July 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Default Re: Hiro Yorozuka

Love his reviews. He is hilarious too! Watch his Musc Ravageur review I had to show my wife it cracked me up so much.
    I enjoy Hiro, Al, Cubby. I like that these guys have passion for fragrance and arent snobs. You always have to take perspective of the reviewer though whether here or on YouTube. Hiro is. Young guy. If you look at his top 10, it is from perspective of young guy. Just like anything else YMMV.

His vids are great.

I think he's funny. His nickname of Hiro "The Hype" is well earned as he does hype up a few frags quite a bit. He's asian, so he automatically gets cool points from me.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I think they're pretty good also.

He has personality, and why should his opinion be any less than anyone on here? If you take everything in context, it's just another point of information in an easily digestible video format with good delivery.

He is one of the few that I actually enjoy watching.

double

He's annoying/

I'd rather watch marc's, cubby's and Al's reviews.

Sometimes he's too over the top for me... However, when he puts his descriptions into story form, they're pretty good. Overall, he's entertaining.

Blog Entries

I like his videos, but I also think he has a good nose - so yes, I respect his opinions. If he says he smells something, I believe it without question.

Very entertaining! wish he did reviews more often, has been very inactive these days.....

Basenotes Member

I love his reviews! I actually found BN due to a mention on one of his videos, and now I'm hooked!

I really like his reviews too.

What I like about him in particular (other than what has already been said) is that he has a nose that seems to "think for itself"--that is, he tells us what he likes and what works for him (I don't detect any snobbery at all)--and at the same time he backs up his opinions and has thoughtful judgments (and he does it with flair and style).

So yes: very good reviewer.

I´ve enjoyed watching his videos from some time ago. His videos aren´t boring or dull , unlike some others I´ve seen online. Loved his review on the underrated Xeryus Rouge and his " fragrance realtalk video" where he mentions the pedantry of the perfume world... hehe
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

He is honest and gives HIS opinion on fragrances. He is not snobbish when it comes to niche or designer or whatever. He wears what he likes and makes fun/entertaining video reviews. I also wish he did more but he has been saying that he is quite preoccupied with other things such as studies etc.

Dependent

took me a sec to find. last name is spelled Yoruzuka. i recommend you edit your subject so people can find him more easily.

Blog Entries

I always enjoy Hiro's reviews. He knows his stuff, too.

He's my favourite of the youtube reviewers, simply because he isn't pretentious. He seems to be a genuine guy who is putting out reviews because he likes doing it, not for some form of self-indulgent gratification. If I'm totally honest, Marc is my least favourite as his introductions are too long and I personally think he likes the sound of his own voice too much. That isn't meant to sound too harsh (I'm sure I'll be bashed for having this opinion) as I do respect his opinions and tend to agree with what he says. I just find Hiro's reviews more down to earth and accessible. Hope he keeps it up for some time to come.

I really enjoy Marc's reviews! Hiro's (sometimes a little preachy but I think he's being somewhat humorous too, he's an acquired taste) are pretty good too as are FragranceBros, QandAaren, deathscythe77, etc..

I don't know what Marc's profession is but he seems to be loaded to blind buy so many expensive niche bottles and do those niche haul videos. Talk about total fragrance envy. People who have that much experience with so many fragrances I find myself trusting.

The one fragrance reviewer I simply don't care for at all is Katie Puckrick.

Hiro is solid. His top ten lists are just basically him showing off his new niche bottles and tossing in a few other designer frags. He is also funny and just gives his opinions. Big ups to the mention of QandAaren. They are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    The one fragrance reviewer I simply don't care for at all is Katie Puckrick.
    I know what you mean...something about her personality. And I swear if I hear that song in her videos one more time...

I believe his real name is Miguel, but I think he tries too hard to act cool and in my opinion he's childish and homophobic. Other than that his reviews are good and his taste in fragrances is in the majority. In general Youtube reviewers give me better insight into a fragrance than basenoters. If your a beginner it's very hard to figure out who the snobs are and who the people that are legitimately trying to help you out are. Doesn't take long, but it can be intimidating.
    Last edited by silentrich; 2nd May 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I believe his real name is Miguel, but I think he tries to hard to act cool
    Do you not think that he's almost trying to be a parody of himself? From what I've seen, he is trying to act as if he's trying to act cool, if that makes sense! I'm also not sure that I've seen any evidence of him being homophobic... could have missed that though.

Dependent

I find his strange accent and affected demeanor distracting. Gotta hand it to Katie, she knows how to present/host . . . very few YouTube reviewers have presence and diction skills.

A cool dude who makes me laugh when I see his reviews.

I really like his reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jlusk99 View Post
    They are kind of interesting, but I was wondering if any of you basenoters think his opinion is to be respected?
    Sure why not. I don't think he works or is paid by anybody to favor any particular house.

I used to be able to watch his vids but find him somewhat annoying now. He has become more and more affected since his first videos. i think that its ridiculous the way people run out and buy whatever his new top ten for the month is. He is hyping Lavender Palm right now so in 2 months there will be about 300 people trying to get rid of the Lavender Palm that they bought because it was his # 1 on whatever list.

Banned

If your a beginner it's very hard to figure out who the snobs are and who the people that are legitimately trying to help you out are.
    a pithy comment indeed !

I like his review, though on a few occasions i thought he just like a particular perfume because it's was expensive and most could not afford it. Ex. Black Afgano by Nasomatto...how can anyone "Absolutely love this" is beyond my comprehension.

Yes, if there is one complaint about these YouTube reviewers it is the herd-like mentality where certain fragrances get hyped and everyone jumps on board. FragComm (as they call themselves) is definitely a clique that orbits around the same fragrances/houses during roughly the same time-frame. It's happened with Musc Ravageur, Black Afgano and plenty more.. fragrances that have been out for years but within the span of a few weeks all the reviewers are simultaneously drumming up the hype machine. I know that sound excessively critical but YouTube lists over 50 results for Tauer's l'air du desert marocain, 21 for Black Afgano, 74 for Musc Ravageur, and not one single review for Annick Goutal Sables. I'm almost certain if Marc or Hiro reviewed Sables, within 2 weeks there'd be at least 10 more reviews of it uploaded. I'm not criticizing these guys because I think the more youtube reviews, the better, but I am certainly aware of the herd mentality on YouTube and therefore keep in mind that a lot of the glowing reviews on there are more indicative of what's 'hot' at the moment and not necessarily a reflection of the quality of fragrance itself.

Sorry if any of that sounds disrespectful. I love all the reviewers on there but the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Deathscythe and Katie are my favourites , they are all good and bad I guess it's all down to personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Yes, if there is one complaint about these YouTube reviewers it is the herd-like mentality where certain fragrances get hyped and everyone jumps on board. FragComm (as they call themselves) is definitely a clique that orbits around the same fragrances/houses during roughly the same time-frame. It's happened with Musc Ravageur, Black Afgano and plenty more.. fragrances that have been out for years but within the span of a few weeks all the reviewers are simultaneously drumming up the hype machine. I know that sound excessively critical but YouTube lists over 50 results for Tauer's l'air du desert marocain, 21 for Black Afgano, 74 for Musc Ravageur, and not one single review for Annick Goutal Sables. I'm almost certain if Marc or Hiro reviewed Sables, within 2 weeks there'd be at least 10 more reviews of it uploaded. I'm not criticizing these guys because I think the more youtube reviews, the better, but I am certainly aware of the herd mentality on YouTube and therefore keep in mind that a lot of the glowing reviews on there are more indicative of what's 'hot' at the moment and not necessarily a reflection of the quality of fragrance itself.

Sorry if any of that sounds disrespectful. I love all the reviewers on there but the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.
    This does happen, although to a lesser degree admittedly, on BN as well. Especially back in the old days. I remember when scents like Domenico Caraceni 1913 was getting some love from some senior members and soon every other thread was about 1913. Now, you never hear a peep about it.

It seems like nowadays most of the hyped scents here are the same hyped scents on YT as the presence and influence of FragComm can definitely be felt on the boards. I don't mind it, personally. I just have to read between the lines, because I know a certain type of frag tends to get lots of love - rich, sweet, gourmands. Artsy stuff like H&G or Byredo's M/Mink - not so much. That's understandable, I guess. It's just slightly funny to me the irony of people seeking out 'unique frags' but then loving gourmands which, in essence are the least unique category of scent (subjective of course, but it seems like smelling like yummy food is less unique even than smelling like the seaside or water - of course people love the smell of decadent desserts!"

I really enjoy his reviews, whereas the majority of other reviewers are simply factual based and designed to tell you the pluses and minuses of whatever fragrance they are reviewing, it's clear from both his format and his editing that entertainment value is a significant part of his presentation. Especially his analogies when he tries to describe what something smells like where he will go on a one-to-two minute rant on the fragrance is always amusing. For this reason I find myself watching his reviews even when I'm not particularly interested in the fragrance he is reviewing, whereas other reviewers I'll only watch the review if I'm interested in the particular fragrance that is the subject of the review.

If there is one complaint I have it would be to tie-in with the above that as of late he seems to be hyping very rare niche fragrances as almost essential buys and distancing himself a bit more from designer fragrances. I don't know if that's a product of the evolution of his taste and wanting to discover less mainstream fragrances or his desire to separate himself from the competition on youtube and review the fragrances that they are not.

That being said, he and Brandon are the two reviewers I find myself watching the most often and given that both of them are in the same age range as me and have similar lifestyles, I value their opinions even if I find myself disagreeing with them from time to time

Sidney Falco made a good point about why he likes Hiro and Brandon. Seeing their personality and style along with the way they present themselves plays a major role. My favorites are BetawiBlood, FragranceBros, MyMickers, Kerosene, and Robes08 because they're either someone I'd hang out with or have something in common with. As far as the hype, if you buy a fragrance because someone else likes it then your probably going to be disappointed. I find that the gourmand or sweet fragrances are really the main hyped fragrances and a lot of these are the most polarizing.

Quote Originally Posted by undercover View Post
    He's annoying/

I'd rather watch marc's, cubby's and Al's reviews.
    I agree, I'm not a fan. He hypes up his own personal choices, and hypes them way up there, far more than what they deserve. I unsubscribed to him as well because he was rude to me in a post.

While on the note though.. I think Marc's reviews are the most informative, I think Master of Style's are the most enjoyable (I love hearing his voice lol) I think Mickers and Kerosene are my personal favorites though with noses most similar to mine. Unfortunatley Kerosene doesn't review much anymore, and Mickers has moved onto niche. Lots of other good ones out there, but these are definitley worth a mention.

Hiro is definitely one of the most popular and influencial Youtube reviewers. His taste has gotten almost absurdly expensive lately. Those on a budget should watch with discretion. Remember that there are 100s of great designers and you don't need to spend your whold paycheck on one fragrance to smell nice.

I wouldn't trust him. That guy is a clown. Haha!

Hiro is up there with Marc and Katie.
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by hiroyoruzuka View Post
    +1...

Great reviewer...he is a bit more on the niche side so if you are looking in niche side hiro will definitely hype it up for you. He got me interested in nasomatto and gotta thank him for that. Guy has great charisma and humor but Marc has been the go to guy of frags.

Quote Originally Posted by hiroyoruzuka View Post
    that's some funny stuff

He also got me into some Nasomatto scents, after I thought they wouldn't be for me after only seeing love for Black Afghano. So thanks for turning me onto Absinthe, Duro, Hindu Grass, and Pardon!

I see niche and expensive frags being brought up like it's a bad thing. I myself am not loaded and fully enjoy the niche side of things as well as less expensive. In my passion with fragrances I have so gotten over the i need every bottle fase. that's not what the fun is for me with me. I'm a scent explorer. I regular participate in splits and I can spend very little money to get my nose on a niche frag for a while and that's all I really need. No one cares about how many bottles I have, lol. this hobby is for my pleasure and the pleasure I get the most in is traveling from scent to scent checking them out and living in the for a short time. It's not all about the niche though. there are great frags out there that are not expensive....I still don't need a whole bottle of them, lol. One house that I love is smell bent...quality juice at an affordable price..love that! If you're the type that needs to have the pretty bottle for some reason you better have a fat wallet or prepair to go homeless, lol

Hiro, Marc, Al and Mickers are my favorites, and inspired me to try youtube reviews. It's not easy to do, huge props to these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    I see niche and expensive frags being brought up like it's a bad thing. I myself am not loaded and fully enjoy the niche side of things as well as less expensive. In my passion with fragrances I have so gotten over the i need every bottle fase. that's not what the fun is for me with me. I'm a scent explorer. I regular participate in splits and I can spend very little money to get my nose on a niche frag for a while and that's all I really need. No one cares about how many bottles I have, lol. this hobby is for my pleasure and the pleasure I get the most in is traveling from scent to scent checking them out and living in the for a short time. It's not all about the niche though. there are great frags out there that are not expensive....I still don't need a whole bottle of them, lol. One house that I love is smell bent...quality juice at an affordable price..love that! If you're the type that needs to have the pretty bottle for some reason you better have a fat wallet or prepair to go homeless, lol
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but for my purposes I'd much rather see a review of something I can go try at a local dept store, form an opinion on and then come back and see what you, Hiro, Marc, Brandon or any number of other youtube reviewers whose opinions I value thought of it (or alternatively see a review on something I was curious about that inspires me to go try it next time I'm a store that has it).

Seeing a very positive review on a fragrance that isn't readily available anywhere for sampling and is even rare to find on the web doesn't do a whole lot for me. I do appreciate that you and Hiro are "scent explorers" as you aptly put it, but if watching a review on a niche fragrance I'd much rather it be something like a Bond #9 for instance that I can at least go to Saks to try as opposed to something like a Nasomatto that is only available on the web and samples of which would take some doing to acquire.

Of course there are others who are saying that Hiro turned them onto trying Nasomatto fragrances, so you'll never please everyone. Both of you guys do great jobs though, my comments aside keep reviewing the fragrances you're passionate about. It's far better to do that and annoy a few fans then review the fragrances the fans want and not be fully into it

I'm tempted to post ash4245 videos. I know Heperd loves the entertainment, but I won't make this into a circus for the other YouTube reviewers.

Well Ash turned me on to Thallium Black and World Extension so i guess i see how yt reviewers do a lot of good for the community.

If I made a frag review video I wouldn't trust it a week or so later, because my sensitivity varies considerably. This is great if you've got a huge variety of frags, as I do, but it's not good for those who read reviews. This is why I try to be succinct and "basic" in the reviews I write these days. Also, it's very common to pick up certain notes when you first sample a frag, but then the next time you wear it you find that it's more of a blend, and those notes are not as prominent. Another issue is top notes. It's often the case, it seems, that some reviewers are excited by certain kinds of top notes when there is another frag that has a very similar base but different top notes (often at a much cheaper price).

I'm tempted to post ash4245 videos. I know Heperd loves the entertainment, but I won't make this into a circus for the other YouTube reviewers.

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    Ive noticed lately that there are a huge number of decant swaps and sales of expensive frags going on, which is a good thing. YT and FB are making it very easy to obtain fragrances that normally would be very hard to find.

It is hard for me to tell, but it also seems to be that being way into frags is becoming mainstream or not being viewed as something weird for a guy to be into because of yt and fb. Its sort of hard to tell though because im on the inside trying to look in. Its sort of like being way into a band and talking with hundreds of other people that are into it also, but if you ask 20 people in real life they have never heard of it...
    anyway i dont know what my point is, these allergy meds have me all messed up. Also I dont see why im being called out on facebook by Hiro, i dont think i said anything too bad. Having a real opinion gets me in trouble a lot....

Hiro is okay, sometimes his taste is not (Lavender palm).
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I used to be able to watch his vids but find him somewhat annoying now. He has become more and more affected since his first videos. i think that its ridiculous the way people run out and buy whatever his new top ten for the month is. He is hyping Lavender Palm right now so in 2 months there will be about 300 people trying to get rid of the Lavender Palm that they bought because it was his # 1 on whatever list.
    I agree. He built Musc Ravageur up to be a huge sex bomb of unearthly panty dropping proportions. Instead it smells like musky older gentleman cologne. It smells good and all, but it doesn't meet the hype surrounding it. I don't know if I can take anybody hyping Lavender Palm seriously. His videos are entertaining though.

And I like Katie Puckrick. She's got a good sense of humor and she's a doll.
    Last edited by mesaboogie; 3rd May 2012 at 08:14 AM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

anyway i dont know what my point is, these allergy meds have me all messed up.
    Still climbing out of that k-hole, man?

Also I dont see why im being called out on facebook by Hiro, i dont think i said anything too bad. Having a real opinion gets me in trouble a lot....
    Just. Please. Don't. Stop.

It is valued. Tremendously. At least by me, and that's worth at least 2p.

I guess I missed the Lavender Palm epidemic, I was already unsubscribed lol.

Having a real opinion gets me in trouble a lot....
    Bitches gonna bitch...just ignore.

Anyway I think you can only learn so much from someone else's opinion, namely 'is this worth tracking down a sample'? I don't need to sit through a 20 minute review in order to decide that. That's why I like Katie Puckrick's reviews best as well as the more concise reviewers here and on blogs too. Many of the longer reviews are full of uninformative padding and repetition anyway. The actual bit where it tells you what it smells like is often only a couple of sentences buried in the middle. Others will prefer the longer reviews, there's room for all tastes.

That said I do find Mickers' reviews entertaining and he covers stuff like vetivers which are off the syrupy track identified by SoS.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Still climbing out of that k-hole, man?

Just. Please. Don't. Stop.

It is valued. Tremendously. At least by me, and that's worth at least 2p.
    Dont worry, i wont stop. I wouldnt be able to respect myself if i did.

What is is called when benedryl makes you unsure of whether or not you just said something or not??

Well Ash turned me on to Thallium Black and World Extension so i guess i see how yt reviewers do a lot of good for the community.
    I'm guilty of buying Exceed by Angelo Vedutti. Says it's going to take two months to ship. If I ever get it I'll do a review with specific Ash references.

My pockets are always lined up for the next thing he decides to hype up, but it isn't filled anymore,

rather the dent in my pocket is 3 feet deep, i have to replenish it before the next hype bomb.