Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Post Suggestions to expand a very small collection?

Hey everybody! I've been lurking the forums on Basenotes for a few months, and I have decided it's about time to start to actually get involved. I have a VERY small collection (Cool Water and Guess Seductive Homme... pathetic, I know) and want to expand a bit. I'm looking for a nice summer fragrance to start my journey... I love mint, so I am leaning towards Roadster. Would that be suitable for weather that is always around 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 C)? Or is there anything better suited? Since I am a poor college student, the max I can spend is $80 , but I'm not against purchasing a decant or two.

Default Re: Suggestions to expand a very small collection?

Maybe Versace Dreamer? Looks like it's going to be discontinued as it's being sold off at 70% discount in the UK. If it is, and you arent keen it should be easy to swap out as I understand it gets lots of love in the male forum. It has a minty vibe and is a bit weird which is a good thing on Basenotes

Basenotes Member

Thank you for the suggestion! I have been wanting to try that out for a while because it also cheap in the US, but will the tobacco note be too harsh during a hot summer day?

Banned

Roadster by Cartier ... a fresh, non-toothpasty mint, really a dark, subdued mint, which duets with a fresh, green fougere ... excellent quality and versatility ... very good sillage and longevity

& try:

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - This is a considerably toned down version of the original, masterpiece Fahrenheit. No negative connotation is implied or should be taken; rather, this is a distinctive composition, somewhat bright and fresh, with ties to the original.
    Initially, one is treated to a blast of sparkling grapefruit, with its sour greenness, tempered by a hint of sweetness from the mandarin. This invigorating, citrus melange is drawn to the heart by a nascent mint. Here, in the heart, the cool spearmint comes into its own with its sweet, green facets, and commingles with violet leaf, with its intense freshness and a hint of cucumber. Basil infuses the refreshing blend with a lively dusting of its lemon-like, savory herb. A very faint undercurrent of petro/gasoline can be sensed. Transitioning to the base, a rather ordinary, woods accord presents, and interplays with a light, almost airy, Haitian vetiver as well as a subtle leather. A placid drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is bright and fresh, and should prove to be very versatile. Having average projection and longevity, this scent will, indeed, shine in the spring, summer and fall.

&

Welcome!

Roadster is certainly very good and it'll work well. A material that is very fresh yet durable is vetiver; there are several vetivers around, though usually a touch too expensive. Guerlain Vetiver probably can be found for less than $80, Tom ford Grey Vetiver is a touch above this.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

Roadster is certainly very good and it'll work well. A material that is very fresh yet durable is vetiver; there are several vetivers around, though usually a touch too expensive. Guerlain Vetiver probably can be found for less than $80, Tom ford Grey Vetiver is a touch above this.

cacio
    I second Guerlain Vetiver. Not exactly mint, but it does the job. Don't know about other vetivers.

Live Jazz is minty fresh on the opening and is refreshing and it drys down to wonderful woody vanille base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Live Jazz is minty fresh on the opening and is refreshing and it drys down to wonderful woody vanille base.
    ^^ I agree. Live jazz is great in the hot humid weather

Roadster or Live Jazz or both good choices IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

cacio
    What he says. I'll also add Comme Des Garcons Vettiveru as one of the best bang for the buck...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Member

Thank you everybody for the suggestions! I'll be sure to check all these out. The Perfumed Court is a good place to get samples, right?

Quote Originally Posted by WMidnight View Post
    Thank you everybody for the suggestions! I'll be sure to check all these out. The Perfumed Court is a good place to get samples, right?
    Yes the perfumed court is great for samples.

Also may I suggest Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. It's not mint but it is creamy lemon. Lemon Meringue pie to be exact.

Basenotes Member

Interesting... Sounds delicious! Mint is not make or break for me, just thought it would be a good starting point for suggestions.

All the above are great suggestions. I recommend Bvlgari pour homme or Aqva

I agree with Roadster, an herbal vivacious mint scent. Another one is Guerlain Homme, which the mint plays a supporting role to the sweet lime and white rum (mojito).

Basenotes Member

I think I may go home and explore the mall next week... is there a difference between Macy's and Nordstrom in terms of selection?

Roadster would be great. Of course I'm gonna suggest Acqua Di Gio as it's perfect for warm weather. Oh, and Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts and Thiery Mugler Cologne.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Dunno about the dept stores stateside but the Perfumed Court site said it was closed yesterday

In my personal experience Nordstrom, as well as Saks Fifth Avenue, have a better fragrance selections than Macy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Dunno about the dept stores stateside but the Perfumed Court site said it was closed yesterday
    Yeah it is down...still. I just tried to visit the site..bummer. I hope it's not for too long(aka forever).

Basenotes Member

Roadster is amazing but I suggest you to try first.
    I'm 18 and it took me a time to truly enjoy the scent because it was too different from the kind of scents I was used to (aquatics, like Cool Water).

Basenotes Member

Yeah, I'm hoping Nordstrom has Roadster, because Macy's didn't and I got talked into buying Guess Seductive earlier this year. I like it, but the longevity is certainly lacking.

Live Jazz is a great option. Also check out Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas, & Cerrutti Image which has mint & a crisp pear note.
    To be successful, you must smell successful! THATSMR2USIR

Banned

Roadster is great! Try also Lacoste Booster.

Roadster, live jazz, and maybe eau savage might suit what your looking for!

I agree, although i love and adore the dreamer, i dont it'd be well suited in warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by WMidnight View Post
    Hey everybody! I've been lurking the forums on Basenotes for a few months, and I have decided it's about time to start to actually get involved.
    Same here, and you got me started with this thread! First post. Hi everyone.

Versace Dreamer is indeed super cheap, and it's actually my favorite perfume. I totally recommend a blind buy. Interestingly though, I'm not sure it would be my first recommendation for a person from a very hot place looking for a summer fragrance. I mean you can definitely pull it off, but if you really want a scent that's perfect for that kind of climate I'd probably recommend something like Gucci pour Homme Sport or Dior Homme Sport. The Dior is pretty intense (ginger!) and perhaps not as fresh and sporty as the Gucci, but on the other hand the Dior is more sophisticated and masculine, in my humble opinion. Both are fantastic summer scents, but you should smell them before buying as they are both relatively expensive. I still recommend the Versace--it's truly a masterpiece--but it's not safe for all situations. The Versace is that pink shirt you love but wouldn't wear to your mom's funeral.

Good review of Gucci pour Homme Sport: http://youtu.be/Q49xTJvvEWA

Good review of Dior Homme Sport: http://youtu.be/AbEJn5xsCkM

Basenotes Member

Glad I could be of service haha!Thanks for the suggestions! I was considering getting Dior Homme Sport, but I think I am leaning towards Roadster. I'll be sure to try all these out, though.

There's a reformulated Dior Homme Sport out there now, in case you didn't know. I hear it's less brutal (the lemon/ginger opening of the original formulation is truly intense--it literaly gives me a headache, but I love it anyway). I'm trying Roadster today!

Basenotes Member

Cool! Hope you enjoy it! I'm really excited to get my nose on these fragrances. I can't believe that I forgot about this, but how is Roadster Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurmoraes View Post
    Roadster is amazing but I suggest you to try first.
    I'm 18 and it took me a time to truly enjoy the scent because it was too different from the kind of scents I was used to (aquatics, like Cool Water).

Same here.

Basenotes Member

Just went to Nordstrom and tried Roadster out... loved it! The SA was kind enough to give me a sample of that and Eau de Cartier Concentree. And I found the perfect scent for my dad (Pasha Fraicheur Menthe). Thanks for your help everyone!