Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Most balanced violet/wood scent?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arquiste Aleksandr

1 10.00%
  • Guerlain Arsene Lupin Dandy

5 50.00%
  • Balenciaga L'Essence

1 10.00%
  • Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur

3 30.00%

Default Most balanced violet/wood scent?

Violet/wood is wonderful combination. Which of these violet/woods seems to have the most pleasing balance of notes? A perfect balance of the violet and woods, with neither outdoing the other. I find it a toss-up.

Arquiste Aleksandr EDP: violet leaf, neroli, fir balsam, Russian leather

Guerlain Arsene Lupin Dandy EDP: bergamot, bigarade, pink peppercorn, cardamom, violet, sandalwood, patchouli, cistus, olibanum.

Balenciaga L'Essence EDP: vetiver, patchouli, violet, violet leaf, green notes, sandalwood and cedar

Heele Cuir Pleine Fleur EDP: violet leaf, bergamot, cinnamon, acacia, hawthorn, suede, rose, honey birch, casddtoreum, vetiver, cedar

EDIT:

I forgot to add Serge Lutens Bois de Violette: cedarwood, violet leaves, flowers. How did I forget?!
    Last edited by Primrose; 28th April 2012 at 11:07 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Most balanced violet/wood scent?

Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur would be my choice.

I cannot imagine how you would forget the Serge Lutens as that would be my choice. After that it would be The Unircorn Spell. The former is truer to what you seek than the latter in terms of woodiness.

for swap/sale:

Thank you for the votes and input.

I also favor the Bois de Violette in a tie with Arsene Lupin.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Guerlainista

BdV for me as well. It's the purest expression of this combination that I've come across.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I love Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur but it doesn't really qualify IMO because the violet isn't prominent enough.

The BdV is great but I'm also very much loving my sample of TUS so I agree with hedonist on that one.

I haven't voted though because I haven't tried Arquiste Aleksandr or Balenciaga L'Essence.

Aleksandr by Arquiste. This is masterfully done. The composition is similar to violet fragrances like Prada Infusion d' Homme and MFK Absolute pour le Matin except the base is a wonderful floral leather. Fantastic fragrance and an excellent handling of the difficult violet.

I was hesitant to mention this its absurdly difficult to attain it but it matches your query.

Prada Violette no 7.

for swap/sale:

Personally, among the ones you listed, I find Cuir Pleine Fleur the most unique smelling. The others, while being all pretty excellent compositions, feel somewhat more "derivative".

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

GREY FLANNEL

Bois de Violette, although I haven't smelled the Arquiste or the Guerlain (sorry). But I was also going to ask about Grey Flannel. Been wanting to try this for a while now and wondered what others thought.

Guerlain Arsene Lupin Dandy - no contest

I'll have to try some of the suggestions....

And I'll add Cruel Intentions By Kilian, the florals are a rose/violet blend but the violet is easy to pick out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Aleksandr by Arquiste. This is masterfully done. The composition is similar to violet fragrances like Prada Infusion d' Homme and MFK Absolute pour le Matin except the base is a wonderful floral leather. Fantastic fragrance and an excellent handling of the difficult violet.
    Plus 1

Thank you all again for the input.

Surprising to see some votes for Aleksandr, which is worth a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I was hesitant to mention this its absurdly difficult to attain it but it matches your query.

Prada Violette no 7.

Hedonist, I had not even considered these! Thank you.