Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Scents hated at first but now loved

Rose 31 and Kouros
    I got both of these as samples and tested them on paper. When I smelled Rose 31 I was like whoa this is way to rosey for me, why would I want to smell like this? Kouros on paper, "gross this is bathroom chemicals, why would I want to smell like this". Then one night at home I decided to put Rose 31 on my skin. Whoa, the dominant rose I smelled on paper fell to the background on my skin, now I see the love! Kouros same damn thing, on the skin the chemical smell didnt last long and the other notes flourished! Love me both now!

Cool Water (wasn't patient enough with the drydown)
    Moustache

something to think about...
    if it takes us "x" number of wears and "y" number of hours to start to like a scent, is that really something that you want to wear when trying to make a good impression on someone considering theyll probably only get to smell it for a few seconds or minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by scratch & sniff View Post
    if it takes us "x" number of wears and "y" number of hours to start to like a scent, is that really something that you want to wear when trying to make a good impression on someone considering theyll probably only get to smell it for a few seconds or minutes?
    That is their problem! LOL.

Basenotes Institution JiveHippo's Avatar

It took 35 posts until somebody mentions A*men?? This is the only one I've gone from loathing to loving.

Live Jazz- I found the opening too harsh, and didn't use it for a while. It still has a bit of a sting, but settles quite nicely.

Caron Pour Un Homme- Couldn't get past the "Play-Doh" note at first. Now it's one of my favorites.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scratch & sniff View Post
    I heartily agree !!!

Original Vetiver (I thought it too shrill at first sampling!). I wouldn't say I hated it though. I just quickly resold the first bottle I bought.

Martin

I did a complete turn around on Le Labo Patchouli 24. I love this scent now. The first time I applied it to my skin I was in the shower after an hour.

For me, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur. I thought the initial civet was very rough and offensive.
    "...put on clothes that are well-scented with incense. Even if you’re somewhere where no one special will see you, you still feel a heady sense of pleasure inside." Things that make your heart beat fast (translated by Meredith McKinney), Sei Shonagon. The Pillow Book.

"The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

Calvin Klein - Euphoria Intense
    First came off to me as an grandmother perfume. Then I loved it.

Christian Doir - Fahrenheit 32
    Thought it smelled like a female perfume. Then I loved it.

Calvin Klein - Man
    At first it only lasted on me for a couple of hours. Now it lasts longer, I guess because it is hotter. Did not like the smell at first. Now I appreciate its freshness.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir
    Smelled very middle eastern to me at first, which I do not like. Then I started to like it and appreciate it more.
    I want to smell good.

Dior Homme

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar

I didn't like Kouros or Fahrenheit when the came out. It took year and several re-visits, but they are now both very much appreciated additions to my wardrobe.
    I don't have a signature fragrance. My signature changes a little bit every day, why shouldn't my fragrance?