Code of Conduct

Default My wife gave me a compliment for the first time in 5 years.

I came to basenotes many years ago in search of the perfect scent. I collected a good dozen bottles of my favorites, I then made the decision to use what I have and revisit in 10 years. This morning getting ready for some hiking and fishing by the river. I decided to wear my OLD pre-wife bottle of Acqu Di Gio. She walks in the room, puts her arms around me, gives me a kiss, stops, leans in, breathes in, smiles and says "You smell nice".

Ive worn cologne everyday since I met her. She has told me many she hates rive gauche, d&g ph, gucci pour homme, visit. She has never actually commented positively until today, one that I have never worn in her presence. I think its time to find an alternative to make her smile, Di Gio brings me back to a time that has passed and not need of remind.

Heres where I need help from the basenotes community. I want to try some scents along the acqo di gio vien, a section of scents i have NEVER dablled in besides a sample of Issey Miyake. I live in MN and have little access to niche scents and little desire to spend time testing them over the mail. Anything new in the last 5, or any old classics the wife might enjoy?

Thanks in advanc for any help.

Default Re: My wife gave me a compliment for the first time in 5 years.

Just buy Creed Millesime Imperial online, done deal.

I guess if you don't feel safe doing that, Bvlgari Aqva Marine, Ed Hardy Love and Luck, Versace Pour Homme 2008, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, or even Kenneth Cole Reaction.

Bleu de Chanel. And have a talk with your wife about how it took five years to get one compliment out of her.

Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Erolfa
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvgari Aqva Marine

The best in the aquatic genre imo.

Time to get a mistress but if that fails then you could give Live Jazz or Mugler Cologne as well as the ones mentioned above a try.

If all else fails then I recommend the divorce courts.lol

Good Luck.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau.

You will like it. She'll like it.

But if you can't find that in a store nearby and don't want to risk blind buying it (though I recommend it wholeheartedly), then my next recommendation would be Bleu de Chanel.

hmmm... you might want to take her with you to the mall and let her smell them too. I know there can be negatives to that but it will certainly take the "Hit or Miss" out of the equation and probably save you a lot of money.

A sweet story - thanks for sharing! I would also go with Creed MI. I recently got this online and have only now started appreciating this genre of fragrance.

I used to own AdG when it first came out and got told i smelt of "grass", so never bought a bottle since. It's too synthetic and unnatural to my nose. MI by Creed (2011 batch I might add) is very fruity, yet still aquatic and surprisingly long lasting on my skin.

I think you should ignore all these suggestions and just go with Kouros.

Basenotes Junkie

It's nice to get a compliment, really.

My girlfriend isn't really consistent with what she likes me to wear. She definitely doesn't like Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. At the same time, she literally yelled to me when I was sampling Tobacco Vanille. "You smell like a sauna, get OUT!" she told me Hilarious, to be honest.

Seems some women prefer ... let's call them "simpler" creations, and not always what YOU prefer yourself. Then again, my girlfriend convinced me to buy Creeds Royal Oud - and I'm glad she did. She loved it at first sniff, I was unsure, but it's grown on me and I really like it now. Also, I get very good feedback on it.

As something "similar" to AdG I'd say Millesime Imperial, but do try Green Irish Tweed as well.

Since she seemed to like AdG...

Gucci Pour Homme II, D&G Light Blue, Cartier Roadster Sport..

But also, have you given Green Irish Tweed or Millesime Imperial a test around her? Aventus also has been a highly accept and complimented scent.

I'd definitely have a conversation aside from all of this as to why it took her so long to compliment you given she is your wife.. I know with me, fragrances and scents are a huge part of me and is something I need to share with my s/o..

Good luck!

Another vote here for Bleu de Chanel, Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial. Aventus tends to gather compliments in bunches, but it smells fairly dissimilar to ADG, so you may want to test that first.

Other scents that are similar to ADG she may like are some Dior Homme Sport or Tous Man Sport. The Tous is my current go-to casual summer scent, and it can be found quite cheaply (under $40) at online discounters.

Millesime Imperial

Banned

try:

Bulgari Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari - Initially, one is slapped with a bitter citrus, provided by the sharp grapefruit and sour neroli brigarade, slowy tempered by the fruitiness of sweet melons and somewhat medicinal cucumber. From afar, a sprinkling of saltiness beckons the invigorating opening to its waiting middle. Here, in the heart, a magnificent stew brews with the pine-like, tangy rosemary flower, coupled with what I venture to say is calone with its watery, marine and ozone accord as well as posidonia, with its sea grass, vegetal highlight and oceanic spiciness, to furnish a delightful, fresh, seashore apparition. Transitioning to its untroubled base, white cedarwood with its crisp, dry and clean woodiness carries the piece to its comforting drydown. This unique, brine composition, a treat to be enjoyed in the warm weather of spring and summer, has good projection and average longevity.

Dependent

I will add on to the many counts of Millesime Imperial
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Time to get a mistress but if that fails then you could give Live Jazz or Mugler Cologne as well as the ones mentioned above a try.

If all else fails then I recommend the divorce courts.lol

Good Luck.
    +1 totally agree lol

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Ive always wanted to try some Creed. Does anyone know any dealers in MN.

The wife has never complimented my scent, not never complemented ever. She is fantastic and I definitely "out punted my coverage".

"I think you should ignore all these suggestions and just go with Kouros." - the more things change the more they stay the same.

Women really love Bleu de Channel
    Try Legend by Mont Blanc as well.

Blog Entries

Is she into perfumes ? Does she have a good understanding, like a Perfumista ? Why did it take sooo long to get any compliment ?
    This is something you two - together - can share. You go perfume hunting for yourself, and buy something for her, also.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Basenotes Institution

Yeah, I think you should try Bleu by Chanel. Or just wear Acqua di Gio...it's not a bad scent and you know she already likes it.

Still, whatever you wear, make sure you like it too. IMO wearing a scent solely for someone else's benefit is a bit limiting.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Change your wife and you'll get compliments more often
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawkins View Post
    Di Gio brings me back to a time that has passed and not need of remind.
    This says loads both about the power of scent memory and how much you love your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    My girlfriend isn't really consistent with what she likes me to wear. She definitely doesn't like Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. At the same time, she literally yelled to me when I was sampling Tobacco Vanille. "You smell like a sauna, get OUT!" she told me
    I like your girlfriend. My partner will smell me and say things like "chewed up gum" or "horrible bug spray." The two of them together could terrorize this whole forum.

Banned

L'Eau D'Issey and Kenzo Pour Homme.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not to belabor the obvious here, but if your wife hasn't complimented you in 5 years after wearing numerous fragrances, and then one day she lights up over Acqua di Gio, why wouldn't you just stick with AdG??? She has vocally expressed liking how it smells on you. She's obviously hard to please. Run with it, buddy. Don't bother going through the headache of finding something "similar." It's a subjective idea at best and with AdG you're guaranteed to please, so the whole "smells like ____" idea is pointless.

If you don't like the past associations AdG elicits for you, give it a chance to help you form new ones. Nothing is forever.

Congratulations on the compliment.....I would stick with the one that received attention.....My Wife Loves Armani Code Pour Homme.....This is worth a try!!!
    Gary

If she likes AdG, she would probably like:

Cool Water (smells pretty much the same as Green Irish Tweed)
    Guerlain Homme
    Blue de Chanel
    Gucci pour Homme II (not a citrus/aquatic like AdG, but very fresh and projects well)

If you go for Millesime Imperial, I would recommend spending the extra cash and getting it from an authorized dealer. Buying Creeds from online discounters seems to be a hit or miss affair.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

So, have you figured out yet what she bought that day?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by duke hunt View Post
    i think you should ignore all these suggestions and just go with kouros.
    lol.....ok.

Buy Acqua Di Gio Essenza when it comes out. It's the only thing that will smell like Acqua Di Gio.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Try Noir de Noir by Tom Ford. That's got to get a compliment!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that Dior Homme is pleasant. Give this a try.

If you don't get compliments on fragrance, try to get compliments for *other* things.

Fragrance isn't everything, and sometimes perfumistos are married to people with no developed sense of smell beyond Febreeze.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Well, if she likes ADG she likes watery scents (I wonder why?).

Anyhow, I suggest you stick to that style and consider the similar styled Halston Unbound, L'Eau Par Kenzo, Paris Hilton Just Me, Jill Sander Pure Man, Unforgivable or any of the Eternity Summer scents.
    Search around on line and you can probably pick them all up at half the price of the much recommended Creed Millesime Imperial.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dawkins View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Ive always wanted to try some Creed. Does anyone know any dealers in MN.
    I don't know where you live in MN but being an native expat from the northern part of the state I remember how much fun it was to take trips to "The Cities." I would guess that the Nieman Marcus in the Nicollet Mall (downtown) would have a Creed counter. Also, there are probably lots of options for fragrance shopping at Mall of America. Hey, if you don't live near MPLS I can't imagine your wife would complain about a weekend of shopping which, of course, would involve lots of sniffing and probably going home with a fistful of samples and decants.

Also, in the BN forum "Internet Shopping and City Shopping Guide http://www.basenotes.net/threads/177...ties-Minnesota lists a shop in the burbs, Cherie Boutique Francaise, in Excelsior, MN. You've got to scroll down to the very last entry in the thread to get the most current info but when I tried the link listed in one post it didn't take me to the store website. Nonetheless, if they're still open it sounds like an interesting shop.

Oh, this thread could have gone in such a different direction...

You've never worn it in her presence, and you have bad memories prior to her tied to it.

Hmmm...maybe she has good memories tied to it?

Just sayin' (ducking and covering)

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    Oof. Smell that one first! Phew... I have a mini but absolutely cannot wear it. For me, that one is a big yuck.

Ed Hardy Love and Luck
    Definitely. If you like this one, drop by Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx from time to time because it shows up CHEAP. MMMmmm... who can resist the smell of money saved?

Versace Pour Homme 2008, Chanel Allure Homme Sport,
    These two in particular are interesting. People love to say they smell similar. To me, they don't, but they have a similar vibe. The difference is that Versace PH is floral and AHS is fruity. I prefer the Versace but most go with the Chanel. Either way, I'd put these two at the top of your Must Try list.

Dear Dawkins ,
    5 years without a compliment - thus - " ACQUA DI GIÒ " - thus TO GO FISHING WITH IT ...
    My suggestion ( I am 64 ) . Are you a good " performer " ?
    Did you get any compliment from the fishes ??
    hug
    al

^^ here I thought you were a thread-starting bot!

Try Kenzo Pour Homme.

Yves Saint Laurant L'Homme -- slam dunk.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Dawkins - I, too, am from the Twin Cities. Check out the link below. It's a wonderful perfumerie in Exclesior that has stellar niche frags! Voted best in Twin Cities Magazine.
    http://www.lapetiteparfumerie.com/

Bleu de Chanel if I were to pick one close to ADG. More mature version on Aqua di Gio, Bleau is less synthetic in the dry down on my skin as well. I'm not a psychologist or a councilor...but it seems that her complimenting the Armani is simply because she's brought back to the pre-wife era from this scent. Maybe take her out for a nice dinner or romantic date and try to bring that era back to fruition rather than replicate the scent she knows and remembers.

I will give my stock "like AdG but not AdG but better" answer - Givenchy Blue Label.

I know my wife would never compliment me for anything like AdG. The Allure Homme Sport had to go after she found it to be vile (got given away to her brother, make of that what you will...). Bleu de Chanel got a !Burgh! (which seems to be the Brazilian equiv of !Bleugh!). The fragrances she has bought me, clearly because its how she likes me to smell, are Armani Eau PH, Blenheim Bouquet, Jean Marie Farina, Caron Pour un Homme. Old School. Fortunately I like all these too.

Although she did test the water to see if she could buy me Terre d'Hermes, which is another of her favourite smells on a guy, and its well documented that I can't stand the stuff. She stopped trying to foist TdH on me after I introduced her to Declaration Essence which she prefers. She was a closet Jean-Claude Ellena fan without even knowing it...
    Last edited by andym72; 29th July 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Boss Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss