Code of Conduct

Default Armani Prive Oud Royal

I would love some updated opinions on this. Octavian over at 1000 Fragrances compares it to a mix of Tom Ford Oud Wood and Kilian's Pure Oud. ( http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...e-darabie.html )

That combination sounds wonderful to me.

Please, if you've tried this, tell me all about it. Is it like Oud Wood, Pure Oud, M7, some combination? Does it evolve? Does it smell rich and full and natural or synthetic? Please TELL ME ALL
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th April 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Default Re: Armani Prive Royal Oud

Hiya,

Newbie here (first post!).

I think Octavian goes off beam trying to display an encyclopaedic knowledge - see his comparison of Rose d'Arabie with Portrait of a Lady in the same link. I imagine many people who have smelled the two will be scratching their heads trying to get the connection.

I loved Royal Oud; it's eminently wearable and focused on the main note. But I found it too short-lived. Here are my notes from trying it out (in cool weather):
    Wonderful, soft-spoken, round-shouldered oud that oscillates constantly between its sweet, hypnotic aspect and a drier, mature wood quality. There are few other perceptible note distractions and it doesn't have a bludgeoning power. I would have bought this like a shot had it not been for the disappointing longevity despite a liberal spraying – two hours of enjoyment and then another two as skin scent, and then it was nose burrowing in skin time to get the last remnants of the scent.

Oops, double post. Apols.

sweet wood and spice with an oud facet. absolutely pleasant. smelled it once, and liked it.
    I recall it being somewhere between pure oud and incense oud. it has a similar vibe with both kilians and tom fords.

I really hate Oud Royale immensely. I find it excruciatingly sharp, and the oud unbearably synthetic and crude. It's nothing like the creamy Oud Wood, the honeyed Pure Oud or the resinous Incense Oud (which isn't really an oud anyway). The woody amber is nails on a chalkboard.

Do you find it to have the same sharpness of the oud used in Bond's NY Oud and NY Amber?

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Do you find it to have the same sharpness of the oud used in Bond's NY Oud and NY Amber?
    Haven't tried those two, but I don't recollect anything sharp about this one, certainly not the piercing quality that some oud perfumes have. It's the Mr or Ms Nice of the oud world - like saripatates put it, really pleasant and easy to wear. There is a dry wood vibe to it, putting a slight edge on the predominant sweet softness, but I'd stop short of calling it sharp. However, longevity was an issue for me, for something in this price range.

Thanks gimmegreen,

I'm curious, have you tried Kilian's Pure Oud? I really like Pure Oud but find it a bit too peppery/resinous/dank for comfortable wearing. Oud Royal sounds like it might be similar enough to keep the qualities I like (the smooth and dark woodiness) and remove those I don't.

This is one time that I can be thankful for the skin I have - longevity never seems to be an issue for me, even with EdCs.

Default Re: Armani Prive Oud Royal

SoS I haven't tried those two Bond's but I have tried Harrods Amber which I also found very chemical, synthetic and sharp. To put it better into perspective, it has that same sharpness of the opening of Miel de Bois. If I do ever get a chance to smell it again, I'll post my impressions.

I think I need add this one to my collection.

Yup, By Kilian's Pure Oud was not for me either - very Middle Eastern in spirit but doesn't rise above the bog standard, IMHO and has that piercing wood shavings quality. The Armani Prive has only the merest hint of that kind of sharpness, but is overall a smooth and sweetish oud, that made me go 'Mmm, yes!' when I first put it on. And if you get good longevity out of most scents, it's def worth a try.

Along with Bois d'Encens I thought Oud Royal was the best in this line. Good stuff

Welcome to Basenotes GimmeGreen!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    sweet wood and spice with an oud facet. absolutely pleasant. smelled it once, and liked it.
    I also only tried it once, my impression was a very pleasant spicy incense oud.

I got a sample of this and I love it. Does anyone know how I can get a bottle of Armani Prive Oud Royal shipped to me in the US?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Along with Bois d'Encens I thought Oud Royal was the best in this line. Good stuff
    Spot on - to be honest I find it remarkably similar to TF Oud Wood and even Amouage Epic Man. Very nice, I wonder if there is refill anywhere available online. Goes straight to the want list.

Sounds lovely. I guess I should sample it.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

any new opinions on this guys?

triple post
    Last edited by joov84; 26th January 2013 at 04:46 AM.

triple post
    Last edited by joov84; 26th January 2013 at 04:45 AM.

Have to get a sample of this.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Have to get a sample of this.
    yes, its a definite "try" for oud lovers

It smells wonderful. At first I wasn't so excited but it was my first oud so, you know, it takes time to appreciate. I wore it today in cooler weather and I thought it made justice to the name "royal". Very classy and wealthy! I prefer this over, say, Epic.
    Looking for split pal - Oud Ispahan and Ombre dans l'eau

One of my 10 favorites fragrances at the moment. Very linear and long lasting. Sandalwood, Incense, & oud balanced perfectly - very wearable.

I personally like Epic more but both are solid. Try to sample both before you committ

I smelled most of the ouds in the market. Montales, Manceras, MFKs, etc... but IMO this is the best western oud in the market.

I bought a 100 ml bottle from Harvey Nichols right after I tested it. The smells rich.

Its nice for the first couple hours. But for me, it starts to turn sour after that. Poor projection, average longevity, and very cheap presentation equals a sin that they charge $275 for this.

This has been getting a lot of attention as of late, any updated opinions?

Also does anyone know places that sell it as well as samples? Seems hard to obtain compared to some of the other ones in the line.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    This has been getting a lot of attention as of late, any updated opinions?

Also does anyone know places that sell it as well as samples? Seems hard to obtain compared to some of the other ones in the line.

Not sure about Canada, but it was not really available in the US until quite recently. Neiman Marcus carries it now. Certainly worth getting your hands on - drive to the US if you must. Blind buy it if you need. Top notch stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Not sure about Canada, but it was not really available in the US until quite recently. Neiman Marcus carries it now. Certainly worth getting your hands on - drive to the US if you must. Blind buy it if you need. Top notch stuff!
    You have got my attention on this one.

Haha making me more tempted! There's a store here where I live that carries a majority of the line. Just so happens they don't have Oud Royal or Rose D'Arabie, the two most from the line I want to try!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    A seller on Ebay has this for $199.99 brand new with free shipping. You can save $75 off retail
    (1096)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    I wouldn't lie -- It's one of my 10 favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Haha making me more tempted! There's a store here where I live that carries a majority of the line. Just so happens they don't have Oud Royal or Rose D'Arabie, the two most from the line I want to try!!!!
    That's a bummer. Those are the 2 best from the line. They were late getting to the US, but recently made it, so maybe they will work their way to Canada soon!

I don't recommend anyone blind buy this. Pay for a sample if you must.

I tried hard to like this, but when it gets past a couple hours, i can't stomach it.

That's a bummer. Those are the 2 best from the line. They were late getting to the US, but recently made it, so maybe they will work their way to Canada soon!
    Turns out the Holt Renfrew in my area (high end Canadian store) just received Rose D'arabie yesterday coincidentally. Sampled it quick and loved it, grabbed a sample too.

Unfortunately they haven't received Oud Royal yet and aren't sure when they'll receive it.

Recently added it to my collection. And you're right about this one - Fantastic scent!
    (1241)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I don't recommend anyone blind buy this. Pay for a sample if you must.

I tried hard to like this, but when it gets past a couple hours, i can't stomach it.
    Yeah, I'm glad I sampled it first. Not a fan. I got a burnt rubber vibe. Shame, I really wanted to like it. Guess it just wasn't for me.

@ Hednic , how do you find the longevity / projection of this fragrance.
    I recently bought full bottle , love the composition but having serious performance issues

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad I sampled it first. Not a fan. I got a burnt rubber vibe. Shame, I really wanted to like it. Guess it just wasn't for me.
    That's ok, you're not supposed to like everything. Thank goodness you sampled first!