Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - May 2012

Hope everyone is having a lovely May Day!

To start this month, today l tried Tabac Blond extrait by Caron, from another of Mimi's samples.

The opening, on my skin, is smokey, leathery & slightly spicy, with a hint of the floral notes to come, & an animalic growl beneath. lt has a very retro vibe, which to some would probably be the epitome of "old lady". Over the first half hour, the florals become more prominent; mainly carnation & iris to my nose, with a slight hint of something bitter & medicinal. At this stage, it reminds me a little of the older version of Narcisse Noir, without the sunny, golden-yellow part. (ln fact, l might try layering this with my NN EDT, is that bad of me??) Two hours in, the ambergris steadily takes over, & takes on the salty, doughy aspect that l noticed in Vol de Nuit & Dans Tes Bras, although here it is more subtle, & is joined by musk in the base.
    Eight hours in, it has almost faded, but can still be brought to life by breathing onto my arm where l dabbed it.

Many reviewers describe this as "masculine"; perhaps my nose is maturing, but it doesn't strike me that way at all, although a man could surely wear it. l also don't really get the smell of tobacco here, but perhaps being a smoker l don't notice it as a non-smoker might.
    This is undoubtedly a classic scent, & l think it is another of those scents that might show different facets of it's character with each wearing, & so l will be revisiting it to find out.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - May 2012

Well, LIDGE arrived today...

...The bottle is awesome, although the cap is kind of lame. I expected as much though having experience with the women's L'Instant.

The scent is very interesting. I love the opening. Wish the lemon and elemi persisted longer - wouldn't mind a hint of incense that carried into the heart, but the way it transitions into that subtle neroli and the way the neroli combines with the chocolate to form an accord that smells much like those chocolate sticks filled with the orange jelly - very nice. I get some smoky vetiver, a good dose of patchouli, and a cedar accord that reminds me a bit of Rochas Lui and in some distant ways, Amouage Tribute and Pure Distance M. Not that it smells much like them, but they share a similar cedar/vetiver vibe.

The anise combines with the cocoa and it almost ends up smelling like chocolate syrup - like I squirted hershey's syrup all over my chest. This phase teeters on being too sweet (and I'd have to say that this scent is sweeter but also more mature than Play Intense, so kudos to those who said as much), but I don't think it crosses the line. Further testing required.

I really do love the thickness, the richness, and the darkness of the scent though. Most of my favorites are dark scents that have anise present in some way (Memoir Man and its absinthe/anise accord, Washington Square and the hints of anise from the tarragon, etc), and this feels like it could be my signature dark gourmand.

While there is a lot of subtle development as the hours tick by (on about hour 4 now), I can understand people like Bigsly saying there isn't much dynamism in the scent. I don't think I'd say there's not much dynamism, but that it's a different sort. There are no major shifts in heaviness, texture, color, etc. Instead LIDGE is like a pitch black iron cauldron filled with melted dark chocolate, and various elements - smoky vetiver and tea, jasmine petals, sandalwood, earthy patchouli - come bubbling to the top intermittently only to soon be replaced by something else. It's a very subtle dynamism, but the scent is not straight up linear (it's akin to the way Lyric Man is rose throughout, but various other notes are woven into that rose thread throughout its evolution).

Still, I would love for the citrus to linger longer. I'd love for a slightly lighter version as well - something more like Antidote in weight and feel; a medium, maybe even lightweight oriental. I am definitely going to be tracking down the EdT version of this as I think it will complement LIDGE wonderfully.

Based on this first test, I say that LIDGE is a very nice scent, and give it 4.25/5.

Couple more mini reviews..

Dior ambre Nuit- I am STUNNED. This is the most beautiful, almost perfect scent that I've ever smelt... and I've smelt many fragrances. Let me start off by saying that, I always wanted to dive into the Dior exclusive line, since I love there designer fragrances. I got a sample of Leather oud awhile back and hated it, it was disgusting...it was so animalistic and vile I cant explain it. I wanted to give them another chance and randomly chose ambre nuit as the next contestant. The second I smelt this my eyes opened, and i was amazed. This starts off with turkish rose, which is more masculine and it has this mysterious, elegant tone, which is carried out throughout the life of ambre nuit. Amber starts to makes its way to the fragrance, its a very sweet amber and it compliments the rose like crazy. I can detect some citrus, likely bergamot, at the top. The rose in this is amazing though, its unlike any other rose I've tried. Its marketed as unisex but steers more "manly" for some reason.Longevity is about 8 hours, projection is about 4 hours, so its normal. Its very elegant, dark and mysterious and you can tell Dior used very high quality ingredients in this fragrance. Demachy has created a masterpiece here. I simply can't say anything more other than to go and try this out if you havent already. I'm definetly going to go dive further into the Dior exclusive line. This fragrance has crawled up to number 1 as my most favourite fragrance, thats how good it is. Its obviously full bottle worthy for me. Unfortunatley its almost impossible to get a bottle here in Canada and noone is hosting a split now so I'm looking everywhere. If anyone wants to ship me a bottle or know of someone selling it please let me know

Amouage Jubilation XXV- This evokes quality. I've never smelt anything that is of such high quality, its something royalty would wear. This starts off with a bluberry like accor5d mixed with some spices. Cinnamon rises up and gives the fragrance some kick, everything is very tame in this fragrance, nothing screams out. I get some amber and some more citrus, woody aspects being incorporated. This is a very complex fragrance and is hard to pin point certain notes. People first getting into the game may not really be able to appreciate the quality, so I'd recommend experienced noses try this out. Longevity is about 10 hours and projections is about 4 for me. Overall a beautiful scent from Amouage and maybe when I'm rich and can full Amouage bottles I will get this. A split in the futue is evident for me.

Blog Entries

Finally l had time this evening to devote to two more of Mimi's samples, both from Escentric Molecules.

First, Escentric 01; l get lemon, pepper & woods in the opening, joined a few minutes later by what smells to me like ambergris, although other reviews don't seem to mention it. The scent stays fairly linear on me, with the ambergris slowly beginning to dominate after around 90 minutes. The sillage is soft, & after 4-5 hours it has faded to a barely-there skin scent.
    This really reminds me of something, but l've been racking my brains to figure out what. lt has a lovely, fresh-yet-warm vibe, & l think it is easily unisex.

Second, Molecule 03; wow, but this is some weird-smelling sh*t! l could describe it as cool, sharp & mentholated with a strangely spicy green note, or l could say what l really think, which is; this is like getting a bloody nose from being whacked in the face with a giant stick of celery wrapped around a metal pole! Seriously, this is one of the most unpleasant experiences l've had since the start of my basenotes journey, & boy, this stuff is strong!
    l persevered without scrubbing, but after 4 hours this hasn't developed at all, & it's a definite no from me.
    There are no reviews of this in the directory, & searching the forum produced very little in the way of opinions. l'm very curious to know what others make of it? According to Luckyscent, this is supposed to be a vetiver "soliflore", but it's nothing like any vetiver that l've smelled before. And the basenotes directory lists several other notes. Thoughts, anyone?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Teardrop - I am so glad you are enjoying the samples ! Moelcules 03- not my fave either but I quite liked Escentric 01 - just not enough to buy a bottle.

Pilar & Lucy - To Twirl All Girly EDP

( Thanks www.luckyscent.com )
    Notes : Gardenia ! Hooray !

Firstly ((( Primrose ))) - thank you for thinking of me and for this sample amongst other things.

Now what would you know ! I adore this little scent. The outstanding note in this is the gardenia - warm , bubbly , luscious , larger than life but a better gardenia than many other scents I have tried. So it opens as this huge lovely gardenia ,a kick of vanilla , a touch of coconut for roundness and some incense.
    It smells very familiar but at the same time, it's not a common smell. I love this. Much better than Monyette Paris which was a total disaster on me and more luscious ,less green than Kai .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th May 2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: wrong word , changed vanilla for incense.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Thanks again, Mimi!

lnteresting that you got so much gardenia from TTAG; l got mainly melon & brown sugar from it, you lucky thing! l did like it, though. Mind you, that was about 4 years ago, l wonder if it has been tweaked?

Basenotes Institution

Teardrop - I really don't know . The first hit I got from this was gardenia . I was really surprised the gardenia note was so good. The same kind that Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia has but with added vanilla and incense and a little coconut. I can't do a load of coconut in my scents - I find it irritating ( L'artisan Premier Figue Extreme - you !!! )

The bottle is very froufrou from the picture. I really would like to get a bottle of the EDP but if I did, I would remove those fluffy things attached !
    ( I did the same with my Pleasures Bloom bottle by EL - I got rid of the flower attached. )

Blog Entries

Lol, yes l got rid of the fluffy bits from my bottle of Tiptoeing Through Chambers of the Moon, as well!

Basenotes Institution

Teardrop *LOL* - " Great minds think alike ! "

I have now *got* what this reminds me of, Teardrop ! Ava Luxe's Tuberose Diabolique ! Very lovely but now I have placed the smell ,the lemming has flown off ....oh dear...........

Blog Entries

Hee!

Oh dear, well l rather like my sample of Tubereuse Diabolique, but l do think it's more coconut than tuberose, isn't it? Fortunately for me, l love coconut!

Blog Entries

Today l tried another sample from Mimi; B by Blood Concept.

ln the opening phase l get dark fruits, woods & a touch of peppery incense. At this stage it reminds me a little of vintage Magie Noire, without the supporting floral notes. After around 15 minutes, sniffing up close, the dominant note is black tea, but from a distance l get more of the fruits. Yet again, l am being reminded very strongly of something else, & thank goodness, this time l figure it out. The mid phase is a darker, denser Ambre Narguile! Yes, the accord of spiced apple & tobacco is strikingly similar! lnstead of the pastry-sweet drydown of AN though, this has a soft patchouli in the base, fading out at around 6 hours.

Much has been made of the metallic notes in this line; l'm pleased to report that l didn't pick that up at all.

l have read that each of the Blood Concept fragrances is "supposed" to work better on people of that blood type. l suspect this is just gimmickry. My blood type is A, but l found this one worked rather well on me. l do not feel the urge to purchase, however, because the whole aesthetic of this line is very off-putting to me, & l don't love the scent enough to ignore that.

Basenotes Institution

Teardrop - absolutely- the whole Blood Concept thing is off putting to me too . My blood Type is B but it certainly did nothing for me.

Basenotes Institution

Clive Christian
    X Perfume for Women

I won't list the endless notes and I won't put a picture up for this scent. I'll just give you my impressions.
    X is a peach perfume from beginning to end with leanings towards a gourmand scent at the very dry down .
    It begins with this shampoo-esque peach note -bright and neon on my skin . It stays a bright peach for some time and then becomes a richer ,more delectable peach including the peach skin around about midway of the scent . I do not pick up muguet which is meant to be in there somewhere. At this point I thoroughly enjoy X perfume. To this point though, I cannot help but think that X is a bit of a let down because for all the expensive ingredients - it's another bombastic fruity floral .
    So I wait . I love peach .
    X is a loud perfume especially at the beginning and the dry down . The middle is a calm of that yummy peach and then it gathers up force again with a clean patchouli /woods and a vat of vanilla with the peach note coming forward again. Interesting !
    However the vanilla is almost predictable . The combination becomes a loud mash and I am getting irritated . I would love to see peach ,sandalwood and something a little bit naughty included at the end - like civet.
    I can see a sort of chypre concept as the dry down approaches. X perfume has a slight ' chewy ' quality to it like Gucci by Gucci ( brown bottle ) has which spells ' modern chypre ' to me. Before then , X is mainly just fruity floral.
    The ingredients are very good IMHO and it's a fun scent . Peach shampoo is a very unfortunate association for me with this perfume which is terribly expensive and the vanilla is a disappointment for me. X has some interesting points but I would have to think 100 times before spending money on a scent that ultimately reminds me of a peach shampoo I used as kid.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd May 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Blog Entries

Today l tried two scents.

First; Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian; the first from this line that l've tried, & the last of Mimi's samples. (Thanks once again Mimi, for giving me the chance to try so many things l would never have thought of otherwise!)

This is fresh, citrussy & cologne-like throughout it's duration. The lemony notes of the opening are joined over the first hour by a soft, clean jasmine, & then rose. The sillage is soft but present, & it lasts around 5 hours before fading to a skin scent. l vaguely detect the light woods in the base, but as the temperature here has soared today, the scent may have burned off too quickly for me to get the full effect.
    l like this one, but l'm not sure it's worth the cash for a bottle, & it does remind me somewhat of Lutens' Fleurs de Citronnier.

Second; U4eahh! by Yosh, from a sample sent as an "extra" with an order of decants.

On my skin this is basically watermelon & apple, along with a slightly "off" note. After around 90 minutes, it becomes a run-of-the-mill candied fruity-floral, & has continued in this vein 5 hours after application. Yawn. l should add that l generally dislike fruity notes, (apart from citrus) & so my expectations for this one were already low.
    l have tried a few of Yosh's scents, but the only truly outstanding one for me is Whiteflowers, which l think l may purchase at some point. l don't feel the need to sample any more after this, though.

Blog Entries

Today l've been sampling Perfect Coconut Milk by Sarah Horowitz Parfums Artisan Collection, a sample l requested as a freebie with an order from lndiescents, as l'm a sucker for coconut.
    This one isn't in the directory, so as per lndiescents, the notes are coconut, almond, orange blossom, gardenia, tonka bean, vanilla & Egyptian musk.

This is a warm, smooth, sweet blend of coconut & vanilla at first. As it warms on the skin over the first hour, the floral notes strengthen & the sillage becomes more noticeable. At this stage, it strikes me as a soft & mellow version of Monyette Paris, without the screechiness it can sometimes produce, & without the heavy, sweet burnt sugar notes. lt continues in this vein, slowly fading to a skin scent over around 6 hours.

lf you love beachy, tropical, suntan-oil type fragrances, but find scents like Monyette Paris a little too overpowering, this could be the one for you! l've very much enjoyed wearing this sweet, fun & comforting scent on this hot summer day.

I received a generous sample of Annick Goutal Nuit Etoilee (many thanks to the wonderful SA at Saks with whom I discussed growing herbs and elderly cats!), so I tried it over the weekend. I've been a bit obsessed with mint lately (mainly despairing that it doesn't want to grow in my small garden). I love using fresh mint in many of my dishes and adding it to lemonade and water, too, so the opening almost made me swoon: mint, mixed with citruses. I felt like a cat who's just been served catnip It is fresh and very summer-like, and it certainly isn't as dark as its name wants to suggest.

The bright, warm mint and citrus combination begins to dissipate, and this is when I sense green branches. It's supposed to be "fir," according to the description of the notes. To me, it smells like juniper. The mint continues to make an appearance here and there as the fragrance develops, but I really wish it were more prominent. The mint here is different from the sweet, grassy note in Herba Fresca, which to me is more of how idealized mint is supposed to smell. In Nuit Etoilee, it is more like the green leaf I love so much. This fragrance doesn't seem to last long, at least on me. It disappears after a couple of hours even though I sprayed generously, but it is interesting and different enough for me to consider a purchase, eventually. It is truly unisex.

I would actually love to find a fragrance that smells exactly like the "sweet mint"--this is what is the label said--that I planted: sweet, warm, and slightly spicy.