Code of Conduct

Question Classic Lanvin´s Pretexte, My Sin, Arpège - Help Please......

My nose is usually pretty astute, but when it comes to the above classics, (even in extrait form) I have a hard job telling them apart. They all share that unmistakable Lanvin signature fond which I would describe as "soapy", but I find especially Pretexte and My Sin/ (Mon Sin) very similar indeed. They are both similar to Chanel´s No.5 - and in fact I find Arpège also similar to No.5.
    Can others please enlighten me as to the subtle differences between these three. My nose seems to get numbed by the soapy fond these all share. I am referring to the extraits, bt also have the same difficulty with the e.d.t.`s.
    Also, which do you prefer out of these three.....and why ?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Classic Lanvin´s Pretexte, My Sin, Arpège - Help Please......

Can't answer your main question as I don't know, but of the three, My wife's preferred is Lanvin Pretexte.

I agree that they all share a very much alike sombre and animalic base. I probably could never tell Pretexte apart from my Sin and possibly Arpege - depending on exact vintage and condition - neither. The newer - possibly 1970/80s Arpege (the black lacquered box) has a velvety plushness in its heart that is pretty unique. However, I have an Arpege version that does indeed remind me of No. 5. My Sin might have been more jasmine prominent. It's my mother's favorite and I have gifted her with nearly my whole stock meanwhile. My favorites are Scandal and Rumeur. Scandal is my holy grail leather scent. It does it all for me. Out of your three I'd go with Arpege, definitely. Pretexte never worked for me. I agree about the soapiness.

I only own Arpege vintage extrait and current edp, and My sin edt. They do indeed share a certain woody floral - furry almost -character. My sin seems to me somewhat less floral and less woody, and it goes more directly in the animalic urinous base, which is stronger than in Arpege; but the difference may be due to the different concentrations and different periods. Turin claims that Arpege has gone through several reformulations. They both seem to lack an initial oomph, possibly because some of the aldehydes have evaporated from my bottles. For this reason, I don't get soap from them. I have not smelled vintage Chanel no 5, I don't get much soap from the modern either, though I get the aldehydic oomph at the beginning.

Comparing modern and vintage Arpege, I must say that I don't find the current particularly debased (relative to the reformulations that have ruined many other perfumes).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I agree that they all share a very much alike sombre and animalic base. I probably could never tell Pretexte apart from my Sin and possibly Arpege - depending on exact vintage and condition - neither. The newer - possibly 1970/80s Arpege (the black lacquered box) has a velvety plushness in its heart that is pretty unique. However, I have an Arpege version that does indeed remind me of No. 5. My Sin might have been more jasmine prominent. It's my mother's favorite and I have gifted her with nearly my whole stock meanwhile. My favorites are Scandal and Rumeur. Scandal is my holy grail leather scent. It does it all for me. Out of your three I'd go with Arpege, definitely. Pretexte never worked for me. I agree about the soapiness.
    I also love Scandal and find it to be one of my favourite leather´s. Rumeur, (vintage) to me contains a distinct rum note. I also love the tubereuse in Crescendo.

Many thanks to everyone for your replies !