Code of Conduct

Default Joy by Patou still worth it?

Hi all,
    I am an old guy who first came into contact with Joy by Patou at the Fragonard labs in Grasse in 1974. I immediately bought a flagon (really - an aluminum flagon) for my wife as my homecoming gift to her. Through the years I have kept her stocked up. It goes a long way and lasts. She has lots of other fragrances, too. Now the time (her birthday) has come to restock her supply of Joy and I wanted to buy an ounce this week. BUT, I read here that it has been reformulated and does not have the rose and jasmine and civet base it used to (I saw the petals being pressed into cakes of refined fats the first time) and smells of lemon. So, if it doesn't smell the same, is it still the top of the list fragrance it was? I don't want to drag her down to a store and make her decide because the surprise will be gone and I would be horrified if it were an inferior gift. My own recollection of it is poor because my sense of smell has deteriorated, so I can't judge by sniffing myself.

In addition, there seems to be a rash of knockoffs of famous perfumes. How can I tell if it is real, even if it is still at least a high quality fragrance.

I need help to keep my wife happy.

Thanks for the advice,

...Reid

Default Re: Joy by Patou still worth it?

Hello Ried, that is a lovely story. I think you may find some original bottles of Joy in various places online, but you may have to try a few to make sure the quality was still there. I have a few myself and without really knowing the original, it is hard to say what notes could be lost. Has she smelled the reformulation yet? Depending where you live, we may be able to suggest a surprise sampler pack of things that may equally delight her, or somewhere to go to test the newer version to see if it will be right or not.

I've been wanting to know about this too. Unfortunately, when I stopped by the Patou store last year, it was closed. Some of our Parisian BNers should stop by and report.

Perfume critic Luca Turin discusses the reformulation of Joy in parfum concentration in his latest book. He says that the current version is essentially a green rose soliflore. Real jasmine has been severely restricted by aromachemical companies, so Joy has lost most of the jasmine and the associated civet (which goes in combination with jasmine). He says that taken on its own terms the new Joy is still very good, possibly one of the best roses around. But it is not the rose-jasmine combo it used to be. But, as said,
    I'm just reporting his opinion here, I haven't smelled.

The eau de parfum is a lower concentration, so it is possible that that contains more jasmine, but who knows. The restrictions came into force in 2010, so it is also possible that many of the stores still carry older, pre-reformulation stocks and testers.

As usual, the way to insure that the perfume is original is to buy from reputable sellers (eg big department stores, directly from Patou etc.). That said, Joy isn't a big seller anymore, so I doubt it'd be counterfeited. Be aware, though, that there exist also (legit) flankers to the original Joy, such as Enjoy and the like - these do indeed smell weaker and lemony. What you want is Joy, period.

Vintage Joy parfum appears relatively often on Ebay too. But of course it is expensive. I got a stroke of luck last year and found 15 ml of perfectly preserved vintage Joy parfum at an antique store in Chicago for $25 (!!). But it was a stroke of luck. Still, if you happen in an antique store, always check if they have older perfumes. They usually don't, but who knows.

cacio

Mumsy:

pre-reformulation Joy parfum is not difficult to recognize: it's a striking, vivid duet of green rose and indolic jasmine, over a chorus of other flowers, and with a smooth, warm civet finish. As whoever was saying, surprisingly long lasting too for a floral. If either flower is missing or fails to sing, it is gone bad or is not it. The edp I have, of uncertain vintage, is similar, but less vivid; after the opening, the jasmine seems to take over.

cacio

Blog Entries

If you do buy vintage, make sure it is still unopened & in its box.

I think I may have a sample of the reformulation somewhere. I shall dig it out later and do a side by side sniff. I am having to go child clothes shopping today and may try and blag a spray in a department store whilst out to see if mine is the newest.

The other thing is if you do buy the new Joy, be aware that each concentration smells different too. The EDP is a different structure to the perfume and the EDT is another thing too.
    Here is a thread to look at:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/225...and-Eau-de-Joy

If she likes Joy, it may be worth having a sniff at these:-

The new Miller Harris range, Noix de Tubereuse is a fairly huge floral in a similar fat flower vein and nicely crafted.

First by Van Cleef and Arpels, that is a classic classy floral

Amouage Gold women is another lovely and probably even more expensive perfume if you wanted a super pamper with a huge floral feel, but do get a sample first. Far too expensive to make a mistake with.

That is all I can think of for now....

I've smelled the reformulated Joy and it is such a disappointment - like your wife, I really loved the original, and I don't find much resemblance here. The enormous cloud of jasmine has dwindled, and the civet is missing, so although it's not a bad scent in itself, it is not at all that gorgeous, beautiful fragrance that your wife loved. I didn't bother to buy it.
    As a former fan of Joy, I do like Baghari (Piguet) and the reformulated Shalimar. These are both modern versions of vintage scents, but I think they're well done, and your wife might like them.
    One possible gift - have you thought about ordering her a selection of samples, from, say, The Perfumed Court, Lucky or elsewhere? You can browse online, or call the company, and ask for jasmine and Joy-type fragrances. She'd have the fun of trying out different scents, and could select her favourite, which you would then buy for her.
    Personally, if my DH did this for my birthday, he'd get a very, very special thankyou from me!

. . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 3rd May 2012 at 04:32 AM.

Redrose:

thanks for the info - finally a first-hand report! What concentration did you smell? the parfum?

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As usual, the way to insure that the perfume is original is to buy from reputable sellers (eg big department stores, directly from Patou etc.). That said, Joy isn't a big seller anymore, so I doubt it'd be counterfeited. Be aware, though, that there exist also (legit) flankers to the original Joy, such as Enjoy and the like - these do indeed smell weaker and lemony. What you want is Joy, period.

Vintage Joy parfum appears relatively often on Ebay too. But of course it is expensive. I got a stroke of luck last year and found 15 ml of perfectly preserved vintage Joy parfum at an antique store in Chicago for $25 (!!). But it was a stroke of luck. Still, if you happen in an antique store, always check if they have older perfumes. They usually don't, but who knows.

cacio
    I did find a 15 ml (~1 oz.) Joy Parfum Vintage Sealed on EBay, and it "looks" correct. Cost is $400 which is OK by me. From a "Top Rated Seller". So, my follow-on question is: Do I trust EBay sellers at all? No Vintage Joy at any reputable brick and mortar merchant, and Web based merchants give me the same willies as EBay. Only modern reformulated Joy from B&M merchants I could find are this silly Baccarat fluted bottle for over $1K which is right out. I do not care about that bottle, I want the rectangular one. There are offers for that peculiar red round bottle, but that puts me off, too. Is that round bottle authentic? I really need real Joy on or before May 8 (I know, I am late because of crazy search). Further advice?

...Reid

Blog Entries

This is just from my experience buying vintage. It's a crap-shoot, but if you do want the vintage, and it's in a sealed box from a dealer with a 100% rating, it's probably ok. I have bought many such things and been very happy. Only a few disappointments. One I know by name who had some old stock that had been overheated and went bad. That was Sarah's so I don't go there anymore.

I see a couple of 'Buy it now' or 'make offer' for $350 that look just as good!
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd May 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Whoever - Welcome to Basenotes.

IMHO , I think $400 for 15 mls which is 0.5 oz - is a bit steep to be honest. I am sure I am have seen sealed extrait bottles of Joy in the rectangular bottles for less on Ebay . Unless the price has gone up .

Ebay sellers can be trusted - you just have to be very careful especially before spending large amounts. Look at feedback - I won't buy from sellers with less than 99.4 % feedback at the least. Look at their return policy if they have one.

Jean Patou changed hands yet again from Proctor & Gamble to Designer Parfums in 2011.
    I have both vintage and the P & G extrait ( pure perfume ) versions of Joy in both the little black and red snuff type bottles which hold 7 / 7.5 mls and the rectangular bottles.
    I honestly find the P & G version very good. When I was at the Haute Parfumerie at Harrods last year , the SA and I both agreed we smell little difference if any.
    With the vintage - some smell better than others - even from sealed bottles. The little red and black bottles - the perfume in those were mostly excellent ( all bottles were still sealed. )
    As Kumquat said - it's really a gamble sometimes.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I smelled the EdP. Glad if the info helps!

Sorry, 15 ml is .5 oz.

Basenotes Institution

Whoever- I also must add that I think it's such a loving gesture to look for the vintage Joy for your wife. It's so romantic and sweet.

Yes, I found that $350 vintage Joy item. But there is funny stuff going on. The $350 buys 1 oz, the $400 buys .5 oz I seller is 100%/2k the other 99.5%/ 6k transactions. The $50 doesn't mean anything to me; the discrepancy between fill amounts makes me nervous. If this is just a usual event in EBay land, tell me please, and I'll shut up. MY wife had 15 ml, and that lasted years, so the amount is OK; it's the amount/price ratio that screws with my mind, and I don't have much experience with EBay. I don't want to prolong my bothering you, but I am obsessive when it comes to mysteries that involve my wife's happiness. I need, for my own sanity and the fast approach of my wife's birthday, to make a decision before COB today. I will go with one or the other blindly, if I have to, or even buy both. My wife means the World to me and money in this range means nothing. I am not rich (one of the 1%) by any means, but I have spent that much on one dinner for 2 in CT where I live.

Basically, I just want to make a rational decision. So, how do I get rational about these EBay items. What would rational you do?

...Reid

Blog Entries

I wouldn't sweat the overpricing too much. It is common on Ebay. Sometimes you are just getting ripped off. You are not always getting more for your money in these cases.

@mimgardenia: Thanks, but if you knew my wife, you would understand. As a shrink friend told me: "She has got it all!" Gorgeous inside and out and looks 30 years younger than she is. Gym rat, weighs 115 all muscle, shapely beautiful, kind, totally honest, talented, multilingual (even polynesian languges), brilliant mind, personable. And has put up with me for all these decades. I could go on forever. She deserves the best, simply the best.

...Reid

Basenotes Institution

Reid - she sounds beautiful . You're both lucky to have each other.
    I say go with your intuition re. your EBay purchase . Buy the one that you feel happy about - the one you get a good feeling about.

Once again your gift is such a fabulous one of love . Good luck and let us know which one you bought .

If money is not an issue, go for it.

In the very unlikely event that the perfume has turned a bit, she will still appreciate the gesture and the fact that you've been thinking carefully about it. And Joy comes up pretty often, on ebay or elsewhere, so you'll have the chance to get another one later on.

cacio

OK. I did what all of you suggested. So, I can go on with the rest of my life until May 8. I went with my gut, as suggested, and bought the $400 vintage 15 ml Joy parfum on EBay. I liked the documentation on the box cover pic, which showed "Made in France", the thread wrap around the stopper was intact (so sealed), the color was a deep amber, but I understand, through lots of experience, that this a white balance issue with the camera and lighting (the background color shows this), and doesn't mean aging transformation necessarily. I do want it to be dark yellow. And in 2k transactions the vendor got 100%. No returns, but I can live with that. I have lost lots more than that in disappointing purchases (I do bonsai as a hobby, and I am really good at it - one of my trees is in this year's Nationals. The prices of prebonsai make you choke and the tree is often unhealthy or the wrong cultivar). I really didn't want the reformulated version, regardless of it being "a good of its kind"; I want the aroma we both have known for a good portion of our lives. So, for good or ill, it is done.

I commend all of you for quick and expert knowledge. Especially since I am a total noob.This doesn't happen on very many places on the web or internet at large. I would not even have known about all the strange issues surrounding what for me is an esoteric topic, if it weren't for all of you. Who, but an expert, would have thought about reformulation and vintage fragrances? I just bought what was the best in Grasse and kept at it through the years. So a grateful thank you.

If anybody cares, I could add to this thread when we get the perfume and bring this to a total close. Should I? Or are you tired of me?

...Reid

Oh NO! DOUBLE Post. I apologize. I don't know how to delete this one.

OK. I did what all of you suggested. So, I can go on with the rest of my life until May 8. I went with my gut, as suggested, and bought the $400 vintage 15 ml Joy parfum on EBay. I liked the documentation on the box cover pic, which showed "Made in France", the thread wrap around the stopper was intact (so sealed), the color was a deep amber, but I understand, through lots of experience, that this a white balance issue with the camera and lighting (the background color shows this), and doesn't mean aging transformation necessarily. I do want it to be dark yellow. The last bottle was 15 ml and lasted years. And in 2k transactions the vendor got 100%. No returns, but I can live with that. I have lost lots more than that in disappointing purchases (I do bonsai as a hobby, and I am really good at it - one of my trees is in this year's Nationals. The prices of prebonsai make you choke and the tree is often unhealthy or the wrong cultivar). I really didn't want the reformulated version, regardless of it being "a good of its kind"; I want the aroma we both have known for a good portion of our lives. So, for good or ill, it is done.

I commend all of you for quick and expert knowledge. Especially since I am a total noob.This doesn't happen on very many places on the web or internet at large. I would not even have known about all the strange issues surrounding what for me is an esoteric topic, if it weren't for all of you. Who, but an expert, would have thought about reformulation and vintage fragrances? I just bought what was the best in Grasse and kept at it through the years. So a grateful thank you.

If anybody cares, I could add to this thread when we get the perfume and bring this to a total close. Should I? Or are you tired of me?

...Reid

I hope you do let us know your impressions when you receive the perfume.

I don't think you'd find a counterfeit Joy on the net. The box and bottle vary a lot depending on the formulation as well as the vintage being markedly different from newer bottles making it unlikely to find a "vintage" counterfeit. I have two bottles of vintage Joy, one of which was from eBay. If it's a vintage bottle your after I think eBay is quite safe good luck.

If it's a new bottle of Joy your looking at I can say to my nose it's still Joy but it's not as flamboyant. She's lost some of her potency sadly this is what we have come expect from reformulations. Just shop around for the best price if you can.
    Last edited by L'enfer; 3rd May 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes, let us know how you like it!

Basenotes Institution

Reid / Whoever - that's great ! You will have one happy Wifey .
    We're not tired of you at all. Please stay around .
    You must let us know how everything goes .

Don't leave yet.... we are curious, and want to know how much your wife appreciates your wonderful and thoughtful gift. There are not many men who would go to all this trouble.

There is more though... you cannot get away with it quite so easily......now we would like to know what frags you wear too. If you don't, and if you would like us to, we can help you find your own ultimate scent so she can smell a delightful you, (if she doesn't already that is).

Happy birthday to your wife. She is a lucky woman and I hope she knows it.

Interim Update: First, there is a peculiar duplication of this thread, with same title, started by somebody else with 2 posts. I don't get it. Anyway, I got taken by the whole enterprise and, additionally, bought a sealed black bottle with a red cap that holds 7.5 ml, for $145. Better deal per ml, I told myself, and it would be a backup, and the thing was cute. Self delusion knows no bounds. Because of this "experience" I got myself into, it opened up new things about my wife that I never had taken the pains to know. She has about 20-30 different fragrances - I discovered this by just looking closer at corners of our house. Then, because she made a perfume mistake yesterday, I drew her into a conversation about them without tipping my hand about Joy. She told me she choses a scent depending on how she wants to appear to the World that day: business-like and capable, energetic and freewheeling, alluringly feminine and on and on. The fragrances she likes best are French and German. She went to school in Paris when 16 and 17 and lived in Aix for 6 months. In college, she spent a year at Universitaet Freiburg. So, her fave perfumes are from there and then (late 60's, early 70's). She loves Chanel No. 5 (She does look a lot like Catherine Deneuve, who advertised it then, I am told), and her associations are not with what mothers and grandmothers wore, but what the fashionistas emerging from post WWII poverty wore. She also likes spicy Asian perfumes, when appropriate, but she tends towards the classy European. She likes it that Joy is intime; can only be smelled within a short radius, so someone must be close to her to be attracted further, and she thinks it reminds her of our garden (which we designed to fill our whole back yard on John Brook's principles: English and Japanese) and she is a rosarian. She said much more, but to go on: I got the 15ml bottle and box today; 2 days after buying it, from CA (coutureperfume). Fantastically speedy action. It was in the mail an hour after I hit Paypal. It looks right and proper. The only difference from my wife's old bottle is that hers had the provenance molded into the bottle bottom and this has a plastic sticker there saying the same thing. I didn't peel it off or open the bottle, of course, but that is the only discrepancy. Comments? I just guess it is a more modern production (No. 1104)

More to tell as this progresses.

...Reid

Blog Entries

Oh right, you're going to wait & let her open it. The suspense is tremendous!

I wouldn't worry about the other thread, it almost looks like a commercial. The person who posted it only has one post.

Basenotes Institution

Reid - thank you for sharing your lovely story .
    Congratulations on getting fast delivery of the Joy 15 ml and on getting the little red and black bottle too. I love Joy packaging and the little red and black bottle is beautiful . I actually wish they would bring back that design .
    The little black and red bottle has a very convenient black rod attached to the stopper internally so application is easy and quite glamorous.
    I am so pleased for you and your wife.
    Again she sounds gorgeous .

The other thread did confuse me too but I think it's a spammer .

Looking forward to hearing how your wife feels about her new Joy! She sounds quite lovely!

Sarah's birthday started wonderfully and stayed that way. After a “Good Morning, Happy Birthday” kiss and a cup of Sumatra coffee, I gave her, as is now a tradition, 3 outrageously funny birthday cards. Emphasis on “outrageous”. After the laughter, I brought out the 15 ml bottle of vintage Joy, in its presentation box – no wrapping. Why spoil a work of art? Gasp! More kisses and hugs. Then the hard part: getting the bottle unsealed. That strange membrane really means sealed! Sarah finally managed it and got the golden cord unlooped without cutting it. Sniff. Yes! The same smell of sainted memory. A dab behind each ear and it was my turn to sniff and get in a nuzzle (or two). Then, I took the small black and red bottle, in its presentation box, out from behind me, and her eyebrows went waaay up. Now some tears of Joy (pun intended , but true). Cute, but classy, little bottle in its cutout, and, underneath it, a little slip of paper with No. de Controle: 6472. Really real. I explained the vintage issue to her, to her disbelief, got more kisses and hugs and nearly was defeated by that sealing membrane again. But righteousness prevailed. It's fragrance was exactly the same as the large bottle's. Then, time to help a friend, John Thomas, and singer and guitarist Lauren Sheehan, move 9 vintage, WWII era Gibson guitars (about $200k worth) to a state of the art, multimillion dollar recording studio here in New Haven. (Since most of the men were at war, these, the best sounding guitars Gibson ever made, were made by women). There we started the first of 4 days of recording each guitar, played by Lauren – and all will have vocals, while Sarah video'd the whole process. (The resulting CD and book and video will be published very soon.). Later, after fine food and fine wine at home, we topped it all off with gluttony: a large sundae of locally made espresso bean ice cream with hot fudge chocolate sauce and real madagascar vanilla bean whipped cream. The Joy went with it all. (And lasted well into this morning).

Thanks again for your help. It made a few people very happy indeed.

Basenotes Institution

Reid - thank you so much for that wonderful account . Happy birthday to Sarah!
    I know that smell of Joy well !

Re. The guitars - fascinating . My son is a huge guitar fanatic and aspires to own a Gibson one day . I also had no idea those guitars you mentioned , were made by women - it kind of warms this woman's heart .

Oh my word. You both sound wonderful people enjoying with gratitude a rewarding life. How kind and romantic you are and Sarah so appreciative of it too.
    Your recording sessions sound really interesting. Music is so enriching. One of the worst thing now my babes have flown is he lack of music being made in our home.

Please don't be a stranger and maybe encourage Sarah to join our little fragrant community?

I still have my little black bottle with the red top, bought for me, by my husband in 1974. It still has some juice left in it, but the top is very hard to get off now. It is kept in a dark place, as haven't got the box anymore. I never really liked it, as was way too strong for me...but will always keep it, as it was bought with love.

Just a quick clarification about the guitar thing. This is not a money making operation. We are all amateurs who play guitars, and love the music and guitar history. Nobody makes bucks on this sort of thing, and the guitars were loaned by people across the country who owned them and think as we do. The studio time is being subsidized by the owner and John is being published by a Michigan University press and got a little money from Kickstarter (the video is something that Sarah and I thought up and Sarah created) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ording-project

It is funded and over so don't worry about it.

I just mentioned it because that is what we did on Sarah's birthday. If you want to hear Sarah's kind of music (it is Hawaiian from the Victorian era: http://www.johnthomasguitar.com/soun...po%20Nohea.mp3 ), She composed the music with lyrics by Queen Liliu'okalani.

This has nothing to do with perfumes, and maybe I should not have mentioned it at all.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

...Reid

Basenotes Institution

Reid- thank you for the link . It's beautiful music ! Is that Sarah singing or Queen Liliu'okalani ?
    It maybe off topic but so beautifully off topic ! *LOL*

Blog Entries

What a nice story. I'm so happy you both loved it!

What a great birthday! And very interesting about the guitars ... am going to show this to my DH as he's a guitarist too, and will really appreciate it. Yes. you sound like a wonderful couple and may you both share many happy returns for years to come!

That is Sarah all the way. I recorded it 2 or 3 years ago. The queen was born in 1838 and died in 1917; she was a prolific composer. This style of music is called Slack Key (or Ki Ho`alu in Hawaiian), because it is played in "alternate" tunings with the strings tuned down. Slack Key formed the entire sound track of the movie "The Descendants". The song is nominally a lullabye for the Queen's favorite adopted son, but Hawaiian poetry is famous for hidden meanings. Ka Ipo Nohea was his name, but also means Dear Darling One.

...Reid
    Last edited by whoever; 10th May 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you Reid for the explanation ! Please tell Sarah I really enjoyed that piece . I think Joy suits her very well.

So I just ordered a bottle of the current Joy. To me Joy screams the Holidays and is not to be worn in the summer or for sporty occasions. Joy is for when you are dresses to the nines. The story was cute but If she is all that and the bag of chips you say then she would have been just as enamored by a bottle of Joy, patou from the designers collection.